LECOM-Erie Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the TB test, does any one know if both tests need to be within 6 months or is it OK if the second one is but the first one is just a like two weeks more then 6 months. :scared:
Both tests need to be done in a two week period
Test 1 on monday go in to get it read on wednesday
Test 2 two weeks after when you get test one

If you don't get the 2nd test within two weeks then you'll have to repeat the process

Members don't see this ad.

by 6 months I meant for the school. LECOM wants the TB within 6 months of starting school so I was wondering if anyone knew if it was ok if the second one is within the 6 months while the first one is like a week or two off.

by 6 months I meant for the school. LECOM wants the TB within 6 months of starting school so I was wondering if anyone knew if it was ok if the second one is within the 6 months while the first one is like a week or two off.
You should be fine even if you get it now, they want us all to update our TB shots before rotations start in June. Which reminds me... I should make an appointment for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations and Welcome to Erie!

I am a graduate of the class of 2006 @ LECOM. I remember being on this thread years ago around this time of the year, and know that people are usually starting to look for a place to stay.

I have a house for rent-- less than 1 mile from campus, 3 BR, 2 Ba, finished basement (with wet bar area :banana:), laundry room/utility area, garage, nice backyard, nice neighbors.

The house will be available in July or August. I think it would be good for someone with a spouse/small family or for 2 roommates to share.

If you are interested, let me know via reply or message, and I can send pictures.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello woodsie,

I'm an incoming LECOM Erie student, and my fiancee and I are looking for a place around campus. We're coming from the Buffalo area, and your house sounds just lovely. :) I'd love to see some pics. I'm brand new to SDN, so I'm not familiar with how to msg or whatnot, but however I could get a look at them, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

Hey ya'll. I'm pretty sure I've decided on Erie LDP for 2014. I still have an interview left at NYCOM, but I think my mind is already set. Just wanted to stop in and say hi!

Hey guys,
I am a first-year PBL student this year. If you all have questions, I have friends in both the LDP and ISP pathways as well if I can't answer the path specific questions. I hope you guys are excited to start learning, it's really not AS bad as they make it seem. Feel free to message me with any questions or concerns you have.

I moved from MD, and the snow definitely took some getting used to but you just have to be cautious and leave enough time to get from place to place.

As for the bayfront campus, the PBL program is there, and it looks like it might be staying there for a while. But that isn't that bad either.

Congrats again on your acceptances!!

Hey guys,
I am a first-year PBL student this year. If you all have questions, I have friends in both the LDP and ISP pathways as well if I can't answer the path specific questions. I hope you guys are excited to start learning, it's really not AS bad as they make it seem. Feel free to message me with any questions or concerns you have.

I moved from MD, and the snow definitely took some getting used to but you just have to be cautious and leave enough time to get from place to place.

As for the bayfront campus, the PBL program is there, and it looks like it might be staying there for a while. But that isn't that bad either.

Congrats again on your acceptances!!

Do you have any suggestions on housing for first year PBL students. I need to make the arrangements soon. I plan on moving to Erie on June 1st so i can get a feel for the area before it gets painted white with snow!!

I have been luck with the shots so far because the hospital I work for provides the shots for free and I received them in July. The physician I went to talked for two hours about how great the Doctor of Osteopathy degree is and some highlights in the field of medicine from his perspective.

Then I just looked up the background check for Arkansas. $20.00 and results in 10 days. The information it gives is limited though so I am going to call the college and get clarification on the specific information the require.

Good luck to everyone!!

For others getting a background check from the state of Arkansas; the website says $20.00 but it is REALLY $25.00. They will send back everything with a nice note with a phone number on it. I called the number and they replied that they have changed the price some time ago but they do not know how to update the website with the correct information. So instead of taking 10 days it is looking more like 20 days!!!

Helllllo new peeps! And welcome to LECOM (and Erie). I would be happy to answer any questions you all have about the area or the school. I am currently a 4th year - on the downslope, gettin' ready for graduation. :cool:

I went to LECOM (obviously) and then stayed in Erie for most of my rotations. I am hoping to match in ER at St. Vincent or Hamot (both are here in Erie) on Feb. 8th. If that happens, I will be needing a roommate for next fall. My current roommate of two years is a second year and is moving out in June to do rotations elsewhere. If I don't match here, I will have a whole house available for rent. I just thought I'd throw a quick note on here to gauge interest one way or the other. Below are some details:

My House: 3 bedrooms/1 bath - one of the bedrooms is being used as an office/guest room/art studio at the moment. Nice kitchen and dining room. Living room with TV, leather couch, etc. Big attic and basement to store all the unnecessary crap that you'll inevitably lug to Erie with you (much like I did). Big fenced-in backyard, complete with patio and lawn furniture and the occasional visit from an opossum. Also includes wireless high speed internet and much, much more... like 2 cats, medical books, washer/dryer etc. And most importantly, access to my unlimited wealth of mostly useless knowledge. However, no garage, no dishwasher, and no toaster (sniff, sniff).

Me: The most awesomest person ever.

You: The second most awesomest person ever. Must be a non-smoker, like my cats, and be clean and mostly quiet - an occasional crazy night for stress relief is acceptable. Weirdos need not apply.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM. I can send pics, specs, and the fine details to you. Thanks and good luck!

Do you have any suggestions on housing for first year PBL students. I need to make the arrangements soon. I plan on moving to Erie on June 1st so i can get a feel for the area before it gets painted white with snow!!

A 4th year posted a room on facebook in an awesome house and that's where I live now. I would definitely look into any postings here on SDN, or facebook to see what's available and then check it out for yourself. There are also several apartment complexes right next to the school like laurel springs and laurel ridge, and then there are some that are not so close to the school like belle village and landmark square apartments. I mean Erie is a pretty tiny town so it doesn't take that long to get from point A to point B anywhere in the city. Just call and check the availability and then come scope out all of the places once you're in town. Good luck finding something!

A 4th year posted a room on facebook in an awesome house and that's where I live now. I would definitely look into any postings here on SDN, or facebook to see what's available and then check it out for yourself. There are also several apartment complexes right next to the school like laurel springs and laurel ridge, and then there are some that are not so close to the school like belle village and landmark square apartments. I mean Erie is a pretty tiny town so it doesn't take that long to get from point A to point B anywhere in the city. Just call and check the availability and then come scope out all of the places once you're in town. Good luck finding something

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations and Welcome to Erie!

I am a graduate of the class of 2006 @ LECOM. I remember being on this thread years ago around this time of the year, and know that people are usually starting to look for a place to stay.

I have a house for rent-- less than 1 mile from campus, 3 BR, 2 Ba, finished basement (with wet bar area :banana:), laundry room/utility area, garage, nice backyard, nice neighbors.

The house will be available in July or August. I think it would be good for someone with a spouse/small family or for 2 roommates to share.

If you are interested, let me know via reply or message, and I can send pictures.

Thanks!

I have been accepted for Class of 2014, and I have a wife and 3 kids, would be a perfect place for us to live! Could you message me or email me, [email protected], and give me all the info necessary as far as rent and pictures and such? Thanks a ton!!

I have been accepted for Class of 2014, and I have a wife and 3 kids, would be a perfect place for us to live! Could you message me or email me, [email protected], and give me all the info necessary as far as rent and pictures and such? Thanks a ton!!
He hasn't been back to these forums since he posted that. I asked for info on the house weeks ago and still haven't gotten any response from him (My guess is that he already found a renter elsewhere.)

He hasn't been back to these forums since he posted that. I asked for info on the house weeks ago and still haven't gotten any response from him (My guess is that he already found a renter elsewhere.)

Yeah I sent him a PM the day he posted it and he never got back to me either. There is a blog that has a few really nice houses near the school: http://liveinerie.blogspot.com/

These are good options if you are going to buy

Yeah I sent him a PM the day he posted it and he never got back to me either. There is a blog that has a few really nice houses near the school: http://liveinerie.blogspot.com/

These are good options if you are going to buy

Have you started calling the apartments? I am still trying to figure out what is best for my needs.

Have you started calling the apartments? I am still trying to figure out what is best for my needs.

I have called a few to get on "Waiting Lists" but I really don't get how it will all work out because they ask what month I want to move in and then I am on a "Waiting List" for that month. So If I want to move into a place in June but most vacancies get filled in May will I not get a spot even though I called to get on a "Waiting List" in January? The process doesn't make sense to me. Basically I have the feeling it is too early for places to be holding spots for future tenants so as it gets close I will be more aggressive in trying to get a place. Where are you looking?

I have called a few to get on "Waiting Lists" but I really don't get how it will all work out because they ask what month I want to move in and then I am on a "Waiting List" for that month. So If I want to move into a place in June but most vacancies get filled in May will I not get a spot even though I called to get on a "Waiting List" in January? The process doesn't make sense to me. Basically I have the feeling it is too early for places to be holding spots for future tenants so as it gets close I will be more aggressive in trying to get a place. Where are you looking?
It's way too early to start looking. Most places won't leave a place sit vacant for this long. They could easily toss somebody into a place for a 3-month short-term lease and make some extra cash. I plan to start calling around April/May with cash in hand for a deposit when I find an opening. I think I'm gonna look for a small house to rent too. Based on my browsing through Craigslist and talking to some friends that live up there, you get a lot more space for your money renting a house than an apartment. Plus, I really hate having neighbors that are, at most, a thick wall away from me. I get distracted too easily when I study and lose my concentration...

Has anyone done their criminal background check through the FBI? Did you just print out their "card" or did you have to get a card from some other facility?

Last edited:

Yea, I am going to call on Monday and get on the waitlist for some apartments. I wish I knew where most PBL students were living so I live close. I do not want to get bundled up, clean off my car, drive across town, ect if everyone is living in the same apartment or neighborhood but me!!

Hey everyone!
My name is Bobby, finishing my first year as a PBL student at LECOM.
i wanted to offer up congrats to all those who got in for 2014, and to those who are waitlisted or waiting for march/april interviews, no worries, some people in my class were accepted in late april, no joke.

Good luck and see you in the fall

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone done their criminal background check through the FBI? Did you just print out their "card" or did you have to get a card from some other facility?

I got the card the FBI requires from the place that finger printed me.

I got the card the FBI requires from the place that finger printed me.

Thx for the reply csmitty...Iv been to 3 government buildings, each does fingerprinting, but none of them will allow me to use their cards to send to the FBI...and none of them will do anything but a county background check...

damn mississippi.

Thx for the reply csmitty...Iv been to 3 government buildings, each does fingerprinting, but none of them will allow me to use their cards to send to the FBI...and none of them will do anything but a county background check...

damn mississippi.

That's odd:confused: I actually got printed at a UPS store. I don't know if all UPS stores offer that service, but one in my town did. You may want to look into that or other businesses. If all else fails, just print out the print card online.

damn mississippi.

LOL!!! Keep up the good fight!!!!

While looking at laptops and the requirements sent out in the matriculation packet, I was wondering if any current students tell me how important an DVD+/-R/RW optical drive is? I am looking at several ultra portable notebooks that don't come with the internal drive but have the option to buy an external one if needed. How often do you need to put stuff on the laptop via CD?

While looking at laptops and the requirements sent out in the matriculation packet, I was wondering if any current students tell me how important an DVD+/-R/RW optical drive is? I am looking at several ultra portable notebooks that don't come with the internal drive but have the option to buy an external one if needed. How often do you need to put stuff on the laptop via CD?
Just use a flash drive like everyone else... you'll never use the CD's that come with your textbooks, I think I used mine as frisbees the first week of classes

Hey guys, you should check out the Facebook group if you have not joined yet. The upper class men are answering a bunch of questions and providing some insight.

Has anybody gotten their Financial Aid Award Letter yet? :D

I just got my drug test results back and my doctor jokingly said, "You live a boring life".

Just waiting on titers from Hep B blood test. Anyone done with the scavenger hunt yet?

I just got my drug test results back and my doctor jokingly said, "You live a boring life".

Just waiting on titers from Hep B blood test. Anyone done with the scavenger hunt yet?

Slowly progressing. Need 2nd PPD test and a tetanus shot (be getting those next week).

One of my transcripts is still listed as requirement not met, but the school name appeared next to it (as opposed to transcript two):confused: I emailed to see if they received it or if I need to resend it.

Oh yeah...still waiting on the background check.

One hoop after another....

Slowly progressing. Need 2nd PPD test and a tetanus shot (be getting those next week).

One of my transcripts is still listed as requirement not met, but the school name appeared next to it (as opposed to transcript two):confused: I emailed to see if they received it or if I need to resend it.

Oh yeah...still waiting on the background check.

One hoop after another....

Don't worry about it, they don't actually update the portal very often.

Yea at orientation I had stuff "missing" according to the portal but when I showed up they had all my forms. Don't expect them to update the portal. I always just made sure to get delivery confirmation for my documents to prove the stuff was delivered.

my deposit has been in and cashed for 2 weeks and i have my matriculation packet but i don't have this checklist up in my portal that you guys are talking about.....

I haven't had the blood work or urine drug test done yet b/c I'm waiting to see if my insurance will pick up some of the cost (if not, my doc said costs would be over $200...unbelievable). So can anyone tell me if LECOM really does need it all by march 1st?

I haven't had the blood work or urine drug test done yet b/c I'm waiting to see if my insurance will pick up some of the cost (if not, my doc said costs would be over $200...unbelievable). So can anyone tell me if LECOM really does need it all by march 1st?
I recall somebody saying before that as long as it's in before orientation you're good to go. It's prolly still not a good idea to wait until the last minute though, but I personally haven't done any of my labwork or immunizations yet either (I'm trying to track down the most recent copy of my immunization record...)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure my matriculation packet said April 1st. I'm assuming the date they're supposed to be in by is dependent on acceptance time...in other words it probably isn't that time sensitive, just kind of a guideline.

Hi,

I have a room available in a 2 story townhouse down the street from LECOM. 1.5 baths, full kitchen & living room, basement with washer/dryer, electric heat.

Shoot me a pm if you're interested or have any questions!

The physical, titers, drug screen and alcohol screen (and doctors visit) cost me exactly $316.30 after insurance. They coded my physical as my yearly physical so the insurance paid majority of that. However, my insurance did not pay for anything else. My job at the hospital paid for my three rounds of Hep B, tetanus and both PPD. I had to get a secondary booster and titers because my antibodies were too low. I am waiting for that bill. I predict it will be another $150.00. So good luck.

At least I am accepted into medical school. There are thousands of people that have not been accepted that would gladly pay that to be in my position!!!!

Go to the health department for you immunizations. It was going to cost me over 150 dollars just for my 3rd Hep B vac. at the hospital. Doctor told me to go get it at the Health Dept. and it was only like 50 bucks. Same goes for Tetanus, and PPD.

I am finally done with everything and send them out to the school. It was a pain in the ass but you will feel great once its all done!

I recall somebody saying before that as long as it's in before orientation you're good to go. It's prolly still not a good idea to wait until the last minute though, but I personally haven't done any of my labwork or immunizations yet either (I'm trying to track down the most recent copy of my immunization record...)

It's not a big deal if your stuff isn't in by April 1st. Try to get it in as soon as possible. Think about it. If you have to get a new series of shots, there is no way you can have them all done by April 1st. I know people that are still getting shots now. If you don't have all your stuff in by orientation, you will have to wait around on orientation day (which is a Saturday) for a couple hours to figure out what you need and if you have it in. So if you don't wanna waste a perfectly good and probably beautiful July saturday waiting around at school, get them in on time.

I am finally done with everything and send them out to the school. It was a pain in the ass but you will feel great once its all done!

I am sending mine out tomorrow!!!! You beat me to the post office! Good luck to everyone else!!!

I am sending mine out tomorrow!!!! You beat me to the post office! Good luck to everyone else!!!

I sent mine in a few days ago. I am hoping my criminal background check works out because I never got a definitive answer from LECOM what to do for my state but I figure they will let me know if it doesn't work out. Great feeling to have one more thing done!

I sent mine in a few days ago. I am hoping my criminal background check works out because I never got a definitive answer from LECOM what to do for my state but I figure they will let me know if it doesn't work out. Great feeling to have one more thing done!

good luck!!!