LECOM Erie Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you receive that message? Because I never got that. I've just been under review for 2 months. It also says I'm under review for 2012-2013 but i assumed that just meant this upcoming year (the class who has their first year being 2012-2013). Because I applied last year and it said 2011-2012 in place of where 2012-2013 is. So I'm confused, they said you applied too late so was that a denial?

I agree with you. It has to do with the first year (`12-`13), not application year (`11-`12). Each school seems to label things a bit differently. I have an interview scheduled for Feb 9th and I'm certain its for this upcoming year, not the following.

Members don't see this ad.

Does any know the itinerary for interview day? Bradenton sent me one, but not lake Erie. I am about to book a flight to leave at 5pm and would to know if the day is done by 2 or latest 3pm.

Plus how often is the shuttle service? From campus, to the hotel days inn, and then to the airport.

Does any know the itinerary for interview day? Bradenton sent me one, but not lake Erie. I am about to book a flight to leave at 5pm and would to know if the day is done by 2 or latest 3pm.

Plus how often is the shuttle service? From campus, to the hotel days inn, and then to the airport.
Should be done by 3pm at the latest. When I interviewed I was done by 1:30 but then again that was 4 years ago so things are a little different now

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes even Im confused because the "we are interested but you applied too late in the cycle, seemed like a clear rejection" when I checked a few weeks back, and I was waiting for a letter in the mail. Then two days ago when I went to check on Bradenton I was back to being under review for both schools again. I guess I need to call up the school to clarify.

The medical school application process requires a good measure of endurance and fortitude. Sometimes I feel like I'm living on a different planet. People I know don't entirely understand all the time, effort, and sacrifices that I have put in.

To all those waiting like I am, lets all continue to hope and persevere...

Yes even Im confused because the "we are interested but you applied too late in the cycle, seemed like a clear rejection" when I checked a few weeks back, and I was waiting for a letter in the mail. Then two days ago when I went to check on Bradenton I was back to being under review for both schools again. I guess I need to call up the school to clarify.

The medical school application process requires a good measure of endurance and fortitude. Sometimes I feel like I'm living on a different planet. People I know don't entirely understand all the time, effort, and sacrifices that I have put in.

Hmmm yeah I'd definitely call and figure that one out. I never got that so it makes me wonder if I still have a chance or if they're just not interested in me hahaha. It doesn't make sense because from what I've read on here there are still a bunch of interview dates available. What are ur stats if you don't mind me asking?

Hello, first year at lecom erie. There was an ad on the radio in erie the other day that explained applications for class of 2016 was up 25% from last year. they may be overwhelmed and can not get to them all. Hang in there. If they are interested, you'd probably get an interview for next year, 2017.

Hello, first year at lecom erie. There was an ad on the radio in erie the other day that explained applications for class of 2016 was up 25% from last year. they may be overwhelmed and can not get to them all. Hang in there. If they are interested, you'd probably get an interview for next year, 2017.

holy crap that's a ton! thanks for the info (even though it's not exactly great news :oops:)

Hey everybody, I just had the interview the other day and I think it went pretty well! But I wanted to post about it because a lot of people have been saying that they were asked the same 5 questions, and my experience was different from that. My interview consisted mostly of discussions that everyone had a chance to input on, and the interviewers asked questions based on where the discussions led. They did ask about AT Still (the man, not the school) so it would be good to know a little about him. Any other questions, just ask me. It wasn't stressful at all and I feel everyone was comfortable putting in their thoughts. Definitely like the school, and hope they liked me! :xf:

I actually had one question for everyone. The people at LECOM said that to reserve yourself a seat at the school (if you get an acceptance) you need to pay a $1500 deposit. Money is really tight for me right now and I seriously doubt I will be able to come up with that much. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do?

Hello fellow applicants!

I applied to both Erie and Brandenton in November. The message I received from Erie was that " we are interested in you but you have applied too late in the application cycle "

At that time I was still under review at Bradenton .

Now after a few weeks I checked and both schools are reviewing me but for the 2012-2013 school year, I have not even applied for next year.

Did anyone have this happen to them or can anyone comment on this? Will greatly appreciate the input.

I don't know man, I finished my secondary like mid-January (I know really stupid) but I got an interview. I dont have great stats so I am not sure how.

Im not sure as to why you they would send you that.

Anyways, I interview on the 3rd. Any tips? Do you think I have a good shot at admission or do you think that im interviewing for the wait list?

I don't know man, I finished my secondary like mid-January (I know really stupid) but I got an interview. I dont have great stats so I am not sure how.

Anyways, I interview on the 3rd. Any tips? Do you think I have a good shot at admission or do you think that im interviewing for the wait list?

I just interviewed there last week. It was a group interview, so 6 of us sat at a table with 2 interviewers and they asked us questions like "what is your proudest accomplishment", "what was a difficult time in your life and how did you overcome it", "how do you see yourself using your LECOM degree 10 years from now." Then they opened it up to a discussion and gave scenarios based on ethics and your opinion. Make sure you go over the standard 9 questions on the interview feedback thread and have an answer for them. It will definitely give you more confidence and prepare you for whatever they throw at you. And relax, its very laid back and comfortable. Make eye contact with everyone in the group while speaking, not just at the interviewers. Sit tall, pause before you answer so you can formulate your thoughts, smile, and act like you deserve to be there but don't be cocky ha. Good luck!!!

Just cancelled my interview for 01/27/2012

Just received my acceptance letter! This is my only acceptance so far so for now it looks like I'll be attending LECOM at Seton HIll. Finally seeing an acceptance feels awesome though! I'll post my stats and everything to give everyone an idea.

Complete: Mid October
Interview Invite: Less than a week after being complete in October
Interview: January 17th at Seton Hill
Acceptance Letter: Postmarked January 20th and received January 25th
Out of state: cGPA - 3.35, sGPA - 3.15,
MCAT: 35R - P: 10, V:13, B: 12

Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions. This site has been a lot of help to me so I'm more than glad to help everyone else out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my acceptance letter! This is my only acceptance so far so for now it looks like I'll be attending LECOM at Seton HIll. Finally seeing an acceptance feels awesome though! I'll post my stats and everything to give everyone an idea.

Complete: Mid October
Interview Invite: Less than a week after being complete in October
Interview: January 17th at Seton Hill
Acceptance Letter: Postmarked January 20th and received January 25th
Out of state: cGPA - 3.35, sGPA - 3.15,
MCAT: 35R - P: 10, V:13, B: 12

Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions. This site has been a lot of help to me so I'm more than glad to help everyone else out!

Congrats! Awesome MCAT

You guys know anything about the rotations in san diego? What kind of rotations do they have? Can you do all your rotations out there. I know its a new site so any info will help.

Sure Dr. Meows.... heres the stats

Undergrad Biochemistry GPA 3.3 Graduate degree MS Biotechnology GPA 3.67
MCAT first attempt Physics 6 Verbal 9 Bio 9
Second attempt Physics 7 Bio 8 Verbal 9 Writing N
Still ended up with a 24 which is dragging me down, my math skills are hopeless.

Lots of volunteer work and some research.

Have you applied to any other schools?

Hmmm yeah I'd definitely call and figure that one out. I never got that so it makes me wonder if I still have a chance or if they're just not interested in me hahaha. It doesn't make sense because from what I've read on here there are still a bunch of interview dates available. What are ur stats if you don't mind me asking?

This must be terrible for you to get an acceptance and then not have funds for the deposit. Please notify the school of your predicament and Im sure they should give you an extension. Meanwhile file your Fafsa, apply for financial aid. And try to get a job to make the money during the extension time the school gives you. Usually banks offer private student loans easily if you have a cosignor or good credit. I think citibank offers loans to people who are in these type of situations and their credit criteria is not that stringent. As a last resort you could also join the armed forces and they would take care of the deposit but then everyone does not want to make that commitment and it would be tragic to do this purely out of financial need. Finally try Fast web for scholarships, I hear there are many to be had. Backing up, try for the extension first, and see if they can stretch it till your financial aid comes in.

If none of the above works and noone you know is able to give you a loan for a few months message me and we'll figure something out. Best of luck and do reply if your situation improves.

I actually had one question for everyone. The people at LECOM said that to reserve yourself a seat at the school (if you get an acceptance) you need to pay a $1500 deposit. Money is really tight for me right now and I seriously doubt I will be able to come up with that much. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do?

Interviews are only offerred if seats are still up for grabs so if you got an interview desite a late application it means you must be a strong candidate. There is a forum here on student doctor that captures the usual questions in the intervews at every school. If you tend to get nervous you can check the questions out and be better prepared. I did suggest this to another candidate who felt that she did not want to know the questions because it would seem like she rehearsed the answers. Its a personal choice, I suppose. All the best.

Thank you for your kind words.

Hi, I received acceptance to LECOM-B dental school and being the first class I was wondering if I could get some feedback from the med students on PBL and how you feel about it. I am a little confused on the way they give exams because in my interview we had medical students answer questions (my group was late bc the interview took so long) and one student told me that one exam could cover up to 50 chapters on different subjects. So, does this mean that microbiology and other subjects like physiology are all tested in the same exam? And since there are no lectures, does the facilitator (I believe that's what they called him/her) of each group tell you what will be covered on the exam? How do you know otherwise? I would really appreciate it amt5223, if you could help me out with these questions since you are going through it. Thank You! Feel free to describe the curriculum of basic sciences as much as you like. lol thanks again!

Sure Dr. Meows.... heres the stats

Undergrad Biochemistry GPA 3.3 Graduate degree MS Biotechnology GPA 3.67
MCAT first attempt Physics 6 Verbal 9 Bio 9
Second attempt Physics 7 Bio 8 Verbal 9 Writing N
Still ended up with a 24 which is dragging me down, my math skills are hopeless.

Lots of volunteer work and some research.

Have you applied to any other schools?

Thanks for your feedback! I've applied to a good amount, but like everyone there are some I'd prefer more than others. Erie is one of those I'd prefer because I'm familiar with the school and area in general and I'm from Michigan so it's closer to home. Plus I really like the PBL pathway and this is the only school that offers something like that. I think I'm just getting frustrated because I'm not hearing back from ANYWHERE haha no denials or interviews and have been complete at places for months. Ah well....still hoping for some good news everyday :xf: Good luck to you! :)

Thanks so much, mindovermater. I'm going to call them Monday and see if they have any suggestions. I'm sure that this has been an issue at SOME point before.

On a somewhat related note, ACCEPTED!!! I have 2 other interviews coming up soon so I'm not going to make any decisions just yet, but I'm so happy! I have til Feb 24 to respond.

(If anyone's interested, MCAT 30, 10-10-10R, undergrad gpa 3.2, postbac gpa 4.0)

:soexcited::claps::laugh: :thumbup:

congrats! Did you interview on the 20th? I was placed on the alternate list -_____- really was hoping for an acceptance to LECOM, i loved the campus

San Diego rotations...

Can't tell you a whole lot other than what I have heard as a 2nd year...
All the rotations are available out there... this I know for sure
However you are unlikely to be able to stay out there the entire year because of the way it goes.... you wil likely have to come back for a month or 2, probably to PA, and take a mandatory (slots we MUST have a student at every rotation)
I have heard that none of them are inpatient experiences though (so no hospitals)... so you would be doing basically all clinic things... I'm not 100% on this, but this is what I was told during our selection in the fall.
Also none of them offer housing.... And many of the other rotations do - Definitely something to consider (unless you have a free place to stay) because your budget will not be adjusted for the high prices of housing CA

Hi, I received acceptance to LECOM-B dental school and being the first class I was wondering if I could get some feedback from the med students on PBL and how you feel about it. I am a little confused on the way they give exams because in my interview we had medical students answer questions (my group was late bc the interview took so long) and one student told me that one exam could cover up to 50 chapters on different subjects. So, does this mean that microbiology and other subjects like physiology are all tested in the same exam? And since there are no lectures, does the facilitator (I believe that's what they called him/her) of each group tell you what will be covered on the exam? How do you know otherwise? I would really appreciate it amt5223, if you could help me out with these questions since you are going through it. Thank You! Feel free to describe the curriculum of basic sciences as much as you like. lol thanks again!

If you guys follow the same way we do in Seton Hill PBL...

You will have different subjects all intermixed on the same test... my upcoming test has neuroanatomy, pharmacology, physiology, biochem, genetics, immunology, etc...
Its not really a big deal because you end up with a lot of subject overlap, so we might have those different subjects, but for example we have a lot of neuroanatomy, and then neuro pharm, and neuro physio, and so on... if that makes any sense

Your PBL group will select the chapters that will be on your exam, and they are turned into the faculty in charge of examinations for your year. Groups do it differently... but it all works out and you will know what subjects will be on your exam.

I don't really know what else to tell you since I don't know how similar or different it will be for the dental school... But that is the basic overview of how the testing goes in PBL

Thank you! It makes sense now. Do you like PBL in comparison to the the lecture style more?

Ahh so nervous. Interview friday. I had a question. About how long do you have to answer your questions. Because I dont want to be wordy, but i feel like im cutting everything too short. Like for why I want to be a doctor, i timed it to like a 1min 50 sec. I also felt like the answer to that question was basically what my personal statement was. Is that bad?

Ahh so nervous. Interview friday. I had a question. About how long do you have to answer your questions. Because I dont want to be wordy, but i feel like im cutting everything too short. Like for why I want to be a doctor, i timed it to like a 1min 50 sec. I also felt like the answer to that question was basically what my personal statement was. Is that bad?

If this helps at all, it's closed file. They will have no idea what you said in your application (for me at least it seemed that way). Also, our group was asked things such as: name a difficult time and how you overcame it, describe your most difficult class and how you managed it, your proudest achievement to date, and what you see yourself doing in 10 years. After that, they asked if anyone had anything to add to any of the questions, then it went into discussion. We talked about (basically) healthcare and if it was a right or a privilege. I was accepted! But I made sure to state my opinion but I didn't talk so much that I was overbearing. The happy median is ideal I think. My answer to the "hardest class question" was less than 5 minutes long, easily!

Last edited:
If this helps at all, it's closed file. They will have no idea what you said in your application (for me at least it seemed that way). Also, our group was asked things such as: name a difficult time and how you overcame it, describe your most difficult class and how you managed it, your proudest achievement to date, and what you see yourself doing in 10 years. After that, they asked if anyone had anything to add to any of the questions, then it went into discussion. We talked about (basically) healthcare and if it was a right or a privilege. I was accepted! But I made sure to state my opinion but I didn't talk so much that I was overbearing. The happy median is ideal I think. My answer to the "hardest class question" was less than 5 minutes long, easily!

When did you interview?

ACCEPTED!!! Seton Hill Campus, PBL Pathway.
I don't know if I'll actually end up going, but I'm glad I got in!

Hi! So I submitted my secondaries in mid-Dec and still have not had any status changes. Should I be worried? I know its only been a couple of weeks, but I'm getting a little antsy lol. I should have gotten something about an interview by now, right?

Hi! So I submitted my secondaries in mid-Dec and still have not had any status changes. Should I be worried? I know its only been a couple of weeks, but I'm getting a little antsy lol. I should have gotten something about an interview by now, right?

what are your stats if you don't mind me asking? i've been complete here since the end of novemeber and also haven't heard a thing - i've been "under review" for over 2 months :(

Since November? Wow. Have you called and asked Admissions about it? I talked to a few M1 students at LECOM, and they told me it usually takes up to 2 months. So, you'll probably hear from them very soon. Good Luck!
3.5 GPA, 31O MCAT. Had alot of EC hours, did undergrad research in a p chem lab for about 2.5 years, and now working as an MA in a peds clinic

Since November? Wow. Have you called and asked Admissions about it? I talked to a few M1 students at LECOM, and they told me it usually takes up to 2 months. So, you'll probably hear from them very soon. Good Luck!
3.5 GPA, 31O MCAT. Had alot of EC hours, did undergrad research in a p chem lab for about 2.5 years, and now working as an MA in a peds clinic
This is insane. With your scores they should be banging at your door. Id call them and also depending on what your status is with other schools maybe send a interest letter.

So I have an interview coming up soon... where's a good place to stay? I am flying into Pittsburgh and driving the rest of the way.

So I have an interview coming up soon... where's a good place to stay? I am flying into Pittsburgh and driving the rest of the way.

I stayed at some Comfort Inn (I think) that was attached to an indoor waterpark. It was nice because you got a discount for saying you were there on LECOM business or something along those lines. It should have the wording in your interview packet you received. I had no problems at all there, and the breakfast was pretty decent too.

LECOM sends u a hotel travel doc with discounts n transportation...free airport n campus shuttle by Scott enterprises. I'm at days inn. Casino 1 mile away. My interview is today 02/03....in 6 hrs..

This is insane. With your scores they should be banging at your door. Id call them and also depending on what your status is with other schools maybe send a interest letter.

I thought they were pretty good too. But I feel like I applied way to late in the cycle. I did call, and they informed me that the level of applicants were really high this year, and that they are still sorting them out. If its good news, I'll get an email :xf:. If it's bad, I get snail mail :/.

Hey guys, wanted to know if anyone might have any information about this. So, I was accepted to Lecom at Seton Hill, and they gave me a little less than a month to send them the $1500 deposit. However, this is a lot of money for me and I don't just have that much money lying around. I would be able to come up with the money if I had a couple of extra weeks. Do you guys know if they give extensions on getting the deposit in if you have financial reasons? If they don't, I would have find a way to come up with the money. I'm just wondering how lenient they'll be with the deadline. I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Does anyone know if they have an alternate list and a waitlist? and which one is pulled from first? I'm sorry if it's been answered before, but I don't have enough time to skim through all 20 pages of posts.
It would really ease my mind a little bit if I knew.

Does anyone know if they have an alternate list and a waitlist? and which one is pulled from first? I'm sorry if it's been answered before, but I don't have enough time to skim through all 20 pages of posts.
It would really ease my mind a little bit if I knew.

I think they're the same thing

Ahhh they make decisions tomorrow for my interview date. So nervous. Hope I get in. I loved my visit to LECOM.

good luck! their average mcat is 24 on the website i think...?

Last edited:
I cant speak on behalf of the school itself but I have heard from other applicants that they are understanding. Dont worry just let them know the situation.

Hey guys, wanted to know if anyone might have any information about this. So, I was accepted to Lecom at Seton Hill, and they gave me a little less than a month to send them the $1500 deposit. However, this is a lot of money for me and I don't just have that much money lying around. I would be able to come up with the money if I had a couple of extra weeks. Do you guys know if they give extensions on getting the deposit in if you have financial reasons? If they don't, I would have find a way to come up with the money. I'm just wondering how lenient they'll be with the deadline. I would appreciate any input. Thanks!