LECOM Erie Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to everyone that got acceptances. Did anyone from the December 9th interview date hear back? I seem to remember they said something about the director of admissions being away last week, however, the portal did say that a decision was made.

Also, anyone know if there is a difference if the portal says you will get a letter in 10 days vs. 30 days? Is one of them a rejection and the other an acceptance?
 
Question to anyone whose interviewed here: what time does the day last until, where did you guys fly into? Erie airport or Buffalo and then rent a car and drive?
 
Hey All,

I have an interview coming up and my letter won't be ready by the interview date. Should I re-schedule or just send the letter in after the interview?

Thanks!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I flew into buffalo and then drove a rental. I stayed at Comfort In from the hostel list and they gave me the LECOM interview discount. The hotel is a 5-10 minutes drive from the school (see address and number below).

It really depends on where you are flying from...so Buf. is a good option if you can get a cheap flight there.

As for DO letters, they told us at the interview they won't make a decision until they have your letter. Rescheduling your interview could result with less available seats when they come to discuss you, so if you can get your letter in soon after the interview that may be your best shot. You don't stand to loose anything since they don't look at your file at all until the letter is in.


<8051 Peach St., Erie, PA, (814) 866-6666 (King + Whirlpool Suite $64.00). >
 
I stopped at cleveland then took another flight to erie. I stayed at econolodge (in aug with lecom discount was about $57) and they provided free shuttle from erie airport to hotel, lecom to airport. Couple of restaurants nearby and also you can have stuff delivered to the hotel then to your room. Since I didn't reserve a shuttle bus before hand for interview day the time didn't really work out so I called and reseved a taxi the night before which the frontdesk helped me with. But if you ask for a shuttle at the time you reserve I'm sure they will accommodate you first.

Sounds complicated but was very easy and took less then five minutes. I didn't have to worry about direction, getting lost, car and gas (just tip).
 
anyone know what time the interview day ends? i need to book my return flight and need to schedule accordingly
 
Hello and Congrats to all of you who have been accepted! I am a 2nd year and will be moving to Pittsburg in May to start my rotations. I own a 4 bedroom house in Erie, about 10 min from the main campus and 3 min from the PBL campus. I currently have two 1st yr ISP students (female) living here and I am looking for a 3rd female to move in this summer. The rent is $300/month and that includes everything! (room, heat, cable/internet, water, garbage) The apartments near the school go quickly and there is often a very long waitlist to get into them, plus they are pricey. If you are interested, please email me at: [email protected]
Thanks!
 
Anyone hear anything from LECOM since the new year? I know schools take time off for the holidays, I was just wondering when LECOM was gonna start doing their thing again 🙂
 
Hopefully a quick question for those of you who have already interviewed/scheduled to interview:

The interview invitation says to park in the north lot, but then the online portal says that "public entry to LECOM Erie will be through a temporary construction entrance on the east side of the main campus."

I haven't stalked out the campus yet, but any insight you guys have would be awesome. Thanks! 🙂
 
Its only one building. The north lot is the gigantic lot behind LECOM. As you walk back toward the main road from the lot, the entrance will be on your right (i.e., east side of the building if the lot is due north). Basically, just don't use the entrance at the front of the building. Don't stress, its not a big building and just look for the people going in/out. Good luck!
 
Anyone hear anything from LECOM since the new year? I know schools take time off for the holidays, I was just wondering when LECOM was gonna start doing their thing again 🙂

Haven't heard anything yet. The status has been "Your application is under review" since December 12th. Hopefully I will hear something within the next week or two.
 
Haven't heard anything yet. The status has been "Your application is under review" since December 12th. Hopefully I will hear something within the next week or two.

Same. I've had that status since November 29th....sooooo antsyyyyyy :bang: I was assuming they were waiting to hand out more interviews till after a deposit deadline (further assuming there was a deposit deadline before christmas). Let's hope something comes soon! :xf:
 
Same. I've had that status since November 29th....sooooo antsyyyyyy :bang: I was assuming they were waiting to hand out more interviews till after a deposit deadline (further assuming there was a deposit deadline before christmas). Let's hope something comes soon! :xf:

Same with me and November 19th :-/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Its only one building. The north lot is the gigantic lot behind LECOM. As you walk back toward the main road from the lot, the entrance will be on your right (i.e., east side of the building if the lot is due north). Basically, just don't use the entrance at the front of the building. Don't stress, its not a big building and just look for the people going in/out. Good luck!

👍 Thanks for such a helpful response! Interviewing tomorrow - nervous about the group aspect, but hoping everyone is chill. 🙂
 
I got an email from them today about my welcome packet... so, they should be back to work... 🙂
 
Hey, I just got an II here this morning. My timeline for anyone wondering was:

Submitted/Confirmed: 12/29
Processed: 1/09
Invite: 1/10

Stats: cGPA 3.46, 30N, career-changer/non-tradional/old

Good luck to everyone still waiting - there were quite a few dates left throughout the cycle.
 
Hey, I just got an II here this morning. My timeline for anyone wondering was:

Submitted/Confirmed: 12/29
Processed: 1/09
Invite: 1/10

Stats: cGPA 3.46, 30N, career-changer/non-tradional/old

Good luck to everyone still waiting - there were quite a few dates left throughout the cycle.

Congrats 🙂 when did you schedule the interview? (Just interested in how far ahead the interviews are now)
 
Jan. 27th, but earlier dates were available. I can't remember exactly but I had many dates to choose from. Seems like they have quite a few invites to give so don't lose hope!
 
Jan. 27th, but earlier dates were available. I can't remember exactly but I had many dates to choose from. Seems like they have quite a few invites to give so don't lose hope!

thanks for the encouraging words! i'm going on a month and a half of waiting now 🙁 sigh. but definitely refreshing to hear theyre not one of those schools thats handing out april interviews right now lol. good luck at the interview! 👍
 
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. So, I have an interview on the 17th, but I'm noticing some problems with the online portal. First of all, it says that my D.O. letter isn't received yet even though I sent it like 2 months ago via interfolio. Is it just that they haven't updated the fact that they received it yet because it's not a pre-interview requirement? Also, it says that my behavioral science requirement hasn't been fulfilled. Would they have offered me an interview if this was the case? I already graduated so it's not like I can go take more classes. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. So, I have an interview on the 17th, but I'm noticing some problems with the online portal. First of all, it says that my D.O. letter isn't received yet even though I sent it like 2 months ago via interfolio. Is it just that they haven't updated the fact that they received it yet because it's not a pre-interview requirement? Also, it says that my behavioral science requirement hasn't been fulfilled. Would they have offered me an interview if this was the case? I already graduated so it's not like I can go take more classes. Any help would be appreciated.

I would call them. I believe you are only required to have the DO letter if offered admission...I could be wrong. Many schools will interview candidates who lack requirements under the assumption that they can/will fulfil these requirements before matriculation. For example I was interviewed at UNE but in order to matriculate there I will take their biochem class which is offered online. Hope that helps.
 
For anyone still waiting, I just got into UNECOM so I will be canceling my interview here. A spot on Jan. 27 will be opening up - I hope it goes to one of you! Good luck. 👍

P.S. A good friend of mine is also canceling her interview to LECOM-Erie due to acceptance at UNE so yet another spot will be available.
 
For anyone still waiting, I just got into UNECOM so I will be canceling my interview here. A spot on Jan. 27 will be opening up - I hope it goes to one of you! Good luck. 👍

P.S. A good friend of mine is also canceling her interview to LECOM-Erie due to acceptance at UNE so yet another spot will be available.

Congrats to you and your friend! 👍 UNECOM is an awesome school. And good news to those of us still waiting 🙂 🙂
 
Hey everyone, I'm interviewing on the 20th. I'll be arriving the day before and spending the night in a hotel, but I don't know what I can do with my stuff during the interview. I won't have a car and I don't want to pay for an extra day in the hotel, so does anyone know if LECOM gives interviewees a place to keep their baggage etc during the interview?

PS: is anyone else interviewing on the 20th? Just curious :luck:
 
Hey everyone, I'm interviewing on the 20th. I'll be arriving the day before and spending the night in a hotel, but I don't know what I can do with my stuff during the interview. I won't have a car and I don't want to pay for an extra day in the hotel, so does anyone know if LECOM gives interviewees a place to keep their baggage etc during the interview?

Ask your hotel for a late check out. Take the shuttle back to your hotel after the interview, grab your stuff, then shuttle back to the airport. That's what myself and a few other interviewees did last year. They may also be willing to let you leave your stuff behind the front desk.
 
I interviewed at the beginning of November and I got into the PCSP, I'll be starting next Fall! I'm sure I'll see a bunch of you in August! I also got into KCUMB, but decided to go LECOM becuase of the PCSP.
 
Interview invite!!

I forgot which pathway I listed as my preference on my application... will I be interviewing for that pathway only or does it matter?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview invite!!

I forgot which pathway I listed as my preference on my application... will I be interviewing for that pathway only or does it matter?

Congrats! 🙂 Mind if I ask when you were complete/stats?

Also - I don't remember listing a preference on my application for what pathway I would want. Isn't that something you'd rank at the interview? (I'm assuming you'd learn some about each pathway on the interview day)
 
Interview invite!!

I forgot which pathway I listed as my preference on my application... will I be interviewing for that pathway only or does it matter?

Good job!!

According to what earlier posters have said about the interview process, you will list your preferences on the interview day. First you'll see a presentation about the pathways, then you will have the actual interview, and then later in the day you will get to pick which pathways you like the most.

Good luck! :xf:
 
Hey guys! I'm going to an interview at Erie on the 20th. I live in Michigan, so my bf will be driving me 🙂
Which pathways are people choosing? Which one seems to be the most helpful? I like studying in small groups, and examples are very helpful to me. But I also like traditional lectures. I have no idea which pathway would be best for me....
 
My boyfriend goes to LECOM-E so I know a fair amount about each of the pathways. He is LDP - which is just going to class normally. Works out well if you like the traditional classroom setting. However, keep in mind you have to dress up everyday to class and that they take attendance (not something normally done at other schools). PBL seems to be the most interesting to me. While you have to go to some classes (obviously things like OPP labs/lectures, anatomy, etc.), it's more case-based from what I understand. You go over particular cases with your assigned PBL groups and there's specific readings associated with the cases that pertain to the particular subject. I don't know much about the Independent Study Pathway but I'm just going to assume it's much like it sounds.....study alone hahaha. From an insider's point of view - I think he regrets choosing LDP over PBL. But then again, it's all about the particular person and how you think you will learn the information best. (Sorry if I seem a little PBL biased....if I had the opportunity that's what I would choose 🙂)

Hope that helps - good luck at your interview! 👍


Thanks!! From the info they sent out, they make it seem like discussions replace the majority of Lecture time in PBL, and they said that people who choose this route should learn well by reading. To me, reading is a clarifying tool, not a primary mode of learning. I need things to be told to me before I get examples and group study time. But your description of PBL sounds a lot more balanced than their info on it. Hmmm...maybe I'll flip a coin...:laugh:
 
One other difference, which surprised me, is that (at least at Erie), anatomy is taught by lecture and does not have a cadaver lab component in the PBL program.
 
Hey all, just wanted to do my part and share my stats with you guys since you've all been so helpful to me.

26Q (10BS, 8PS, 8VS), 3.45 cumulative/3.37 sci, NJ resident
Research + EMT + Red Cross + Hospital volunteer

Supplemental Complete 9/15, Interview Invite 9/20

Unfortunately, I couldn't schedule my interview until Jan 20th, so four days from now will be the moment of truth.

Hope this helps! Good luck everyone!
 
Hey all, just wanted to do my part and share my stats with you guys since you've all been so helpful to me.

26Q (10BS, 8PS, 8VS), 3.45 cumulative/3.37 sci, NJ resident
Research + EMT + Red Cross + Hospital volunteer

Supplemental Complete 9/15, Interview Invite 9/20

Unfortunately, I couldn't schedule my interview until Jan 20th, so four days from now will be the moment of truth.

Hope this helps! Good luck everyone!

thanks for sharing! 🙂 good luck on friday! 👍
 
Hey all, just wanted to do my part and share my stats with you guys since you've all been so helpful to me.

26Q (10BS, 8PS, 8VS), 3.45 cumulative/3.37 sci, NJ resident
Research + EMT + Red Cross + Hospital volunteer

Supplemental Complete 9/15, Interview Invite 9/20

Unfortunately, I couldn't schedule my interview until Jan 20th, so four days from now will be the moment of truth.

Hope this helps! Good luck everyone!


I'm interviewing on Friday too so I'll see you then (not that I'd know who you are lol)! Good luck!!
 
I was wondering if there was anyone willing to open their home so I can save some $ instead of staying at a hotel. If there are any current medical school students: Can we meet a day before the interview so I can get some insight?

I can get a rental or I can pay a reasonable price for transportation/place to stay.

Thanks
 
I was wondering if there was anyone willing to open their home so I can save some $ instead of staying at a hotel. If there are any current medical school students: Can we meet a day before the interview so I can get some insight?

I can get a rental or I can pay a reasonable price for transportation/place to stay.

Thanks

This may or may not help you, but a lot of the motels/hotels nearby LECOM offer an "interview invite discount". I got a room for $70 a night.
 
Hey guys, sorry for the silly question, but it's for a friend.

Does LECOM screen for secondaries, or do they send them to anyone who applies?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, sorry for the silly question, but it's for a friend.

Does LECOM screen for secondaries, or do they send them to anyone who applies?

I believe they screen because they put my primary application on hold until they received an MCAT score from me. I'm sure they're pretty "easy" standards to have, but they do pre-screen a little.
 
So I've been complete going on two months now and the portal still says "under review". Is this normal? Because I've read on LECOM threads that this could mean "on hold" without actually telling you you're on hold, but people don't know until they call admissions. Is that true? Or is this just a busy time for them...I'm antsy! 🙁
 
Just arrived for tomorrows interview....this place is nuts with the weather...anyone around??
 
Hello fellow applicants!

I applied to both Erie and Brandenton in November. The message I received from Erie was that " we are interested in you but you have applied too late in the application cycle "

At that time I was still under review at Bradenton .

Now after a few weeks I checked and both schools are reviewing me but for the 2012-2013 school year, I have not even applied for next year.

Did anyone have this happen to them or can anyone comment on this? Will greatly appreciate the input.
 
Hello fellow applicants!

I applied to both Erie and Brandenton in November. The message I received from Erie was that " we are interested in you but you have applied too late in the application cycle "

At that time I was still under review at Bradenton .

Now after a few weeks I checked and both schools are reviewing me but for the 2012-2013 school year, I have not even applied for next year.

Did anyone have this happen to them or can anyone comment on this? Will greatly appreciate the input.

When did you receive that message? Because I never got that. I've just been under review for 2 months. It also says I'm under review for 2012-2013 but i assumed that just meant this upcoming year (the class who has their first year being 2012-2013). Because I applied last year and it said 2011-2012 in place of where 2012-2013 is. So I'm confused, they said you applied too late so was that a denial?