This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A couple more questions. I’m filling out the application now. It’s asking for ACT scores. I’m a post grad student. I took my ACTs so long ago. Is this really necessary? I don’t remember my score or when I took it. I don’t even know where to find this information. I did already take the Mcat last year and am scheduled to take it again June 1st.

Also, concerning the LORs, can we use the letters we used for AACOMAS? I was planning on doing that until I read the the last requirement asking our LOR writers to say whether we should be granted access to the program or not.

I did not fill out for my ACT either as long as you have the MCAT you are fine. Also your LORS do transfer from applying to the medical school and its def not to late to apply

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for responding! So it’s okay that my letter writers wrote letters to recommend me for medical school acceptance in general and did not include a specific section about the LECOM Health Science Post Bacc Program?
Yes it does not matter I had someone write me a letter for the program because i thought we needed one and I already got accepted before the letter even made it to them.

Does the LECOM postbac have linking? What % matriculants into med school?

I had the same question as you and apparently around 87 percent of students continue to further education. (Received info from aacom website) I don't know how many of them out of the 87 percent proceed to the osteopathic medical school though.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a similar question. Here’s Mr Murphy’s response
huh that's weird, I wonder why they can't just use my transcript to verify. I just don't want to categorize any of the classes I took wrongly into the "Science, Behavioral science, math, etc." categories

Exactly. I feel like this leaves room for error. I filled it out anyways quickly because I received an email that my application was under review. I don’t see why they don’t just calculate the gpas themselves once the official transcripts are in just to make sure everything is labeled correctly to their liking

The gpa calculated after I entered my grades and labeled them was different than what AACOMAS calculated for me last year. Same transcripts. I probably just labeled a class differently. ‍♀️

They correct the classes if you label them incorrectly. They did for mine at least

I had the same question as you and apparently around 87 percent of students continue to further education. (Received info from aacom website) I don't know how many of them out of the 87 percent proceed to the osteopathic medical school though.

Hey! Just to let you guys know, that statistic is kinda deceptive, it's talking about 87% of people who finish the program. And it is just generally referring to people who end up going to other educational opportunities including LECOM, not just LECOM itself. I was in the post bacc this year and we definitely do not have that many people left; we started off with around 160ish and as far as I know, there are around 110-115 people left and I certainly know not all of them are going to make it. I ended up dropping but I am currently applying to other programs!

Hey! Just to let you guys know, that statistic is kinda deceptive, it's talking about 87% of people who finish the program. And it is just generally referring to people who end up going to other educational opportunities including LECOM, not just LECOM itself. I was in the post bacc this year and we definitely do not have that many people left; we started off with around 160ish and as far as I know, there are around 110-115 people left and I certainly know not all of them are going to make it. I ended up dropping but I am currently applying to other programs!

Also in the program this year, we have 122 kids left but nobody knows who will make it and who won't. I'm pretty sure everyone that was in the 1st or 2nd interview group has already had their acceptance letters and everyone else for this year just needs to finish above the 3.0 and they should be matriculating into the School of Medicine/Dentistry/Pharmacy. From what I've heard from the past couple of years of the post bacc, usually about a little over than half the class finishes the program and gets into their respective LECOM pathway. Advice to anyone going into the program next year: Just grind through the first semester and get as close as you can to the 4.0 and you're golden.

Members don't see this ad :)

Why did you drop? Is the program reasonable/how hard would it be to matriculate into the med school through this program?

Why did you drop? Is the program reasonable/how hard would it be to matriculate into the med school through this program?
I was on the pre-dental track (if you couldn't tell by my profile pic haha), honestly the program is quite challenging and you're basically on your own. It just personally wasn't for me because the overall vibe I got from LECOM is that I was a number and not really a student that they want to help, but that's probably also the nature of this beast since it is a post-bacc program and you have to prove that you're capable of handling the material. Also, I didn't really appreciate that even though I was on a different track, we didn't really do too much that was relevant to dentistry. Certainly they do head anatomy and some things with clinical medicine the second semester for the pre-dentals, but for the most part I can't really say that what a lot of what we learned would be super relevant to what we would do as dentists. Having said that, if you're medical then the material would of course be much better suited for what you'd be doing the next year. I would say that it's fairly hard to matriculate through this program especially since they raised the GPA requirement this year from 3.0 to 3.2; a lot of my friends are on the border and I can't imagine how much scarier it would be if they needed to get an even higher GPA.

I guess the question I would have is who is dropping out of the program? Is it an even mix of premed, pre-dental, and pre pharmacy students,or some other combination? I am looking to go to medical school, and I can see where the majority of the classes would be quite relevant for someone seeking a career in medicine, but not as relevant for others.

So if one was to do well in the program how good of a chance do they have to getting accepted into any of the osteopathic medical schools? Thank you for your insight.

Do you guys know what is the duration of winter break and when are the interviews of students who meet criteria held around? I'll be traveling abroad during winter break, so just want to have a rough idea. Thanks!

Do you guys know what is the duration of winter break and when are the interviews of students who meet criteria held around? I'll be traveling abroad during winter break, so just want to have a rough idea. Thanks!
Winter Break is about 2 weeks starting mid December and spring semester starts January 2nd. All Post bacc interviews are done during January

So if one was to do well in the program how good of a chance do they have to getting accepted into any of the osteopathic medical schools? Thank you for your insight.
If someone had above a 3.2, the expected MCAT which is the 47th percentile I believe or the acceptable AIS index and didn't have any administration issues, they would have a very very good chance of being accepted. There's no reason they wouldn't be.

If your application has been listed under review since last Thursday and requirements met (letter, transcripts, and mcat all listed as being in) as of today when should I expect a rejection or acceptance? By email and/or by mail?
Mine was done 3/23 and I haven’t heard anything... 505, 2.9/3.45 cGPA/sGPA

Anybody find a place to live yet ? I know its not for a little bit but i feel like everything is getting rented. Also has anybody visited Erie yet I dont think I am going till I move there. How did you like it

3.4 or aboveish in post bacc , no problems, minimum MCAT/AIS and your in.
Very reasonable. I made it through. Its a matter of how much you study.

Wow you make it sound so easy. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are overstudying and still failing out. There are 12 classes in the program, are all worth the same number of credits? Since the only grades you can get are a 2.0, 3.0 or 4.0, nothing below a 2.0 or you're out of the program? That's nerve-wracking. So now you need anything above a cumulative 3.4 to get in, I thought you needed a 3.2? Did they raise it again?

Hey sorry, classes have gotten the best of me recently. It's honestly a pretty good program with a really solid reputation. They do a really good job preparing you for medical school and every former post bacc has told me that first semester of your MS 1 year is a breeze given that it's basically just a giant review. It's really nice that we have the same professors that will teach us in med school.

Our program initially started with about 170ish students and we're down to about 130ish now. From all of the stats that I've seen, about 60-70 students continue on into LECOM's medical school. Now keep in mind that number doesn't include those who got accepted elsewhere. You get a chance to choose what location you want to attend, but there aren't a whole lot of spots for Bradenton. Being a Florida resident is a huge plus that will definitely help, I would also focus on getting the best grade that you can get 1st semester. And I don't mind the questions, I was curious coming into it so I'll do my best to help you guys coming in.

This info is very helpful, thank you for taking the time to give your input! Do you know what the difference is between the Masters program and the regular post bacc is? Other than the degree? I'm trying to decide which to apply to. Also, I have a cumulative GPA of around 3.4, science GPA of 3.0, and my ACT score was 26. I calculated my AIS score and I got 113. Do you think I should apply to the program with this score? Or take my MCATs in in mid May and then send in my scores mid June? I think based on my practice test scores my MCAT will be around 497.

Has anybody visited Erie yet and found a place to live? Any recommendations on places. I look every day but most people do not accept pets and I have two dogs.

Just got the acceptance letter in the mail today

Reactions: 1 users
Has anybody visited Erie yet and found a place to live? Any recommendations on places. I look every day but most people do not accept pets and I have two dogs.

Try Cherry Hill ranches. Pretty nice apt/condo for cheap with a gated community and 2 car garage and you can have pets. Only 10 min drive to school.

Does anybody know when they program ends i know it starts Sept. 8th but I can not find anywhere where it ends.
Thanks

This info is very helpful, thank you for taking the time to give your input! Do you know what the difference is between the Masters program and the regular post bacc is? Other than the degree? I'm trying to decide which to apply to. Also, I have a cumulative GPA of around 3.4, science GPA of 3.0, and my ACT score was 26. I calculated my AIS score and I got 113. Do you think I should apply to the program with this score? Or take my MCATs in in mid May and then send in my scores mid June? I think based on my practice test scores my MCAT will be around 497.
I'm not too familiar with the Masters, so hopefully someone else can answer that. I would definitely apply now, I think those are pretty good stats

Does anyone know after completing ms with lecom can transfer into dental track with them?

Hello all, I am a former post-bac from the class of 17-18. Finished the program strong and got accepted just recently. Few words of advice; 1. Do not take this program lightly. Past students on sdn make it seem like they just flew through it with ease but that's not exactly the case for most students. Start off strong from day 1 and do not stop until December and then go all out until April. The last thing you want is to be borderline and stressing about a few points here and there come exam 6 and final in the spring. I knew a few too many who were in that boat and did not get in, so do not risk it. 2. Learn how you study best. Dont be afraid to try new things like anki or sketchy but make sure they work for you. Personally, anki and pacing around and teaching an imaginary class worked best for me when I was learning physio, micro, path, anatomy and so on. 3. When you sit down and study then focus all of your attention on studying. I know that seems obvious but many students claim to study but in reality they are browsing facebook and watching youtube videos. Limit distractions those distractions! 4. Pay attention in class. I was never one to preview lectures but I made sure to pay attention in class and get something out of it. You will find for subjects like physio and anatomy lecture is essential so make sure you drink some coffee or do whatever you have to do before class to be able to focus for about 2.5 to 3.5 hours. 5. Record lecture (with permission of course). again for subjects like physio and anatomy having the recording is essential in getting the material down. 6. Adapt. That's one of the take home messages from orientation. A few students had trouble with the testing at LECOM. The tests are multi subject and random. If you struggle early on then switch it up, practice on lowering anxiety and so on.
If you put in the work you will make it. Work very hard, keep your eye on the prize and everything will fall in line.
Good luck!

Reactions: 7 users
Try Cherry Hill ranches. Pretty nice apt/condo for cheap with a gated community and 2 car garage and you can have pets. Only 10 min drive to school.

Do you happen to know of any nearby places that are 1 bedroom only that allow pets?

Post Bacc here who just finished the program. I'm happy to answer any questions you guys might have. I was on the dental track too, so if any Pre-Dent's have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Hi everyone,

I was a post-bacc this past year and did pretty well in the program. Like everyone has been saying, it's pretty reasonable as far as material goes you just have to put in the work and figure out what works best for you. In our post-bacc forum last year someone wrote a review of each class and what they did so I'm going to try and do the same for you guys here

So in the fall you take physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, cell biology, histology, and critical thinking

Physiology:
This is your big 5 credit course for the semester. Unlike some of the other courses this semester you can't just memorize powerpoints and do well, or at least I didn't. It took me a couple exams but I learned that it was a better approach to try and understand concepts instead of memorizing facts. If you understand the concepts you'll be able to tie everything together pretty well when you get to the end of a section like respiratory or autocrine. Also, we got some study materials from faculty that asked you to draw out pathways like blood flow through the heart or how solutes move through a nephron in the kidney. I made copies of these and would use them as practice to see what I did and didn't know. Biggest takeaway though is understanding the concepts and you should do well in this class.

Biochemistry:
Biochem is pretty much all memorization. Highly suggest flashcards and drawing out the pathways until you can get through a whole pathway without looking at your notes. Dr, Speelman is pretty fair when it comes to writing questions on your exams so as long as you know your stuff going in you should all be fine. If I remember right, Biochem is 3 credits in the fall.

Microbiology:
Micro is another 3 credit class and again the name of the game is memorization. They are going to throw a lot of different organisms at you at once so what I found helpful was looking for buzzwords or key differences that would make a certain microbe unique from the others. Also, I highly suggest investing in SketchyMicro if you are a visual learner, it helped me a ton throughout the semester.

Cell Bio:
This is a 2 credit class and it is also your first class at LECOM. This is another class where you can just memorize material, but make sure you are paying attention in class because they will give you in class quizzes that could be the difference between getting an A or a B. Also, you will have assigned readings for this class that are fair game on the exams. I think we got anywhere between 1-4 readings/video lectures per exam and I think there would be about 5-10 questions on the exams over this material

Critical Thinking:
1 credit class, but DO NOT blow it off. If you don't put in the time for this class you could easily fail because there are not very many points available. They will put about 10 medical terminology questions on the exams so I found flashcards to be the best way to study.

Histology:
Another 1 credit class, but again DO NOT blow it off. This class is mainly the basics of histology, but if you work hard in this class, it will make the histo you see in the spring a little bit easier. I was told by an MS1 of a website called Blue Histology that was good for practice quizzes. But if you look through the powerpoint lectures and go over the assigned readings you should be fine.

Reactions: 11 users
In the spring you will take Anatomy, Pharmacology, Pathology, Genetics, Immunology, and Clinical Med. This semester is tough so do everything you can in the fall to get a high GPA so you won't be as stressed in the spring.

Anatomy:
This is the big 5 credit course in the spring. It requires a lot of work but if I can get an A, you guys can too. If we had anatomy on an exam I was looking at anatomy every day. Memorization is big here, but you have to understand concepts as well. I highly suggest downloading anatomy software on your computer so you can see things in 3-D. I used complete anatomy and it helped me a lot when I was trying to visualize where things were in the human body. Also, you will get a clinical supplement, print it out and READ IT MULTIPLE TIMES. The clinical supplement is extremely high yield and they love to ask questions about it on test days. Remembering histo will also be beneficial in this class, you will have histology questions on your exams, so make sure you go over the histology material before the exam.

Pathology:
This is a tough class I won't lie, it is 4 credits and a lot of material and you will feel like you are overwhelmed at times. However getting a good grade is possible. I mainly focused on learning objectives and what was emphasized in class. I would star slides and bullet points that were really emphasized and based my studying around that. Also, this is another class where remembering histo will be helpful. There will be questions on your exam where they just put a histology slide and ask you what is this disease.

Pharmacology:
You will hear scary stories about pharmacology, but you can do well if you put in the time. I found studying for this class similar to studying for micro. Look for buzzwords and what makes each drug different. The same people that run SketchyMicro also have a section over pharm that I found helpful as well. I also know people that would make drug charts and use those to study for the exam. Pharm is 3 credits.

Immunology:
Another one-credit class that you can get by in by just memorizing the powerpoints. Just remember that there are not very many points in this class so make sure you do well. Immuno was on the first 2 exams of the semester and we didn't see it again until the final so make sure you do as well as you can early so you won't be as stressed when finals come around.

Genetics:
1 credit class that you'll see towards the end of the semester, I think it was on our last 2 exams. Again, you can memorize powerpoints and be fine here.

Clin Med:
Another 1 credit class, but this one you'll see throughout the entire semester. You need the book for this class to read the assigned chapters for each exam. I would read the chapter and then take notes on what I thought was important. I also found quizlet decks that highlighted major concepts and found those helpful as well

Reactions: 8 users
Here are also some miscellaneous things that I found helpful throughout the year
  • My friends and I used this software called osmosis. Basically, you can upload the powerpoints and take notes in this software during lecture. What really makes it helpful though is if you are in a group, everyone can share study materials like flashcards. I think for each exam we would have about 1000 flashcards that we could share to prepare for the exam. They also have videos on high-yield topics that really helped me understand things I didn't quite get in lecture.
  • Find a group of people that you can study with, study groups were extremely helpful for me because we would fire off questions and quiz each other so we could figure out what we did and didn't know
  • Try to have a life outside of classes. I know that sounds impossible, but it is necessary. We had a group of guys that would go play basketball for a couple hours once a week and I found it really helpful in relieving stress. Just find something that can help you get away from the stresses of post-bacc even if it is only for 30 minutes to an hours
As a final note, LECOM puts on a big-little program for the post-baccs, I highly suggest you sign up for this. Basically what happens is they will divide you guys into groups of about 5 and will assign you to one or two MS1s. We will meet with you guys and answer any questions you have about the program, material, etc. It really helped me out and I know myself and other Post-baccs from this year are signing up to help you guys out next year.

Reactions: 7 users
Quick question please...
Is there a minimum MCAT score requirement for gaining admission into LECOM health sciences post bacc program if I am not using AIS score? Website says 40th percentile score (497) is required for matriculating into their DO school from post bacc program, but does not say anything about required MCAT score into program itself?
Do you get accepted into post bacc program with below 497 MCAT score if not utilizing AIS score?
Thanks!

Quick question please...
Is there a minimum MCAT score requirement for gaining admission into LECOM health sciences post bacc program if I am not using AIS score? Website says 40th percentile score (497) is required for matriculating into their DO school from post bacc program, but does not say anything about required MCAT score into program itself?
Do you get accepted into post bacc program with below 497 MCAT score if not utilizing AIS score?
Thanks!

You need a minimum 497. My application is on hold due to this fact. I have to receive my mcat scores and send it to them before they can make a decision since my AIS is too low

You need a minimum 497. My application is on hold due to this fact. I have to receive my mcat scores and send it to them before they can make a decision since my AIS is too low
Same boat.

Hello all, I am a former post-bac from the class of 17-18. Finished the program strong and got accepted just recently. Few words of advice; 1. Do not take this program lightly. Past students on sdn make it seem like they just flew through it with ease but that's not exactly the case for most students. Start off strong from day 1 and do not stop until December and then go all out until April. The last thing you want is to be borderline and stressing about a few points here and there come exam 6 and final in the spring. I knew a few too many who were in that boat and did not get in, so do not risk it. 2. Learn how you study best. Dont be afraid to try new things like anki or sketchy but make sure they work for you. Personally, anki and pacing around and teaching an imaginary class worked best for me when I was learning physio, micro, path, anatomy and so on. 3. When you sit down and study then focus all of your attention on studying. I know that seems obvious but many students claim to study but in reality they are browsing facebook and watching youtube videos. Limit distractions those distractions! 4. Pay attention in class. I was never one to preview lectures but I made sure to pay attention in class and get something out of it. You will find for subjects like physio and anatomy lecture is essential so make sure you drink some coffee or do whatever you have to do before class to be able to focus for about 2.5 to 3.5 hours. 5. Record lecture (with permission of course). again for subjects like physio and anatomy having the recording is essential in getting the material down. 6. Adapt. That's one of the take home messages from orientation. A few students had trouble with the testing at LECOM. The tests are multi subject and random. If you struggle early on then switch it up, practice on lowering anxiety and so on.
If you put in the work you will make it. Work very hard, keep your eye on the prize and everything will fall in line.
Good luck!

Thank you for this.

anyone know if they count nursing courses as science for grade entry??

anyone know if they count nursing courses as science for grade entry??
I'm not 100% sure on this but I don't see why they wouldn't. Probably wouldn't hurt to shoot Jamie and email though and ask about it.

Here are also some miscellaneous things that I found helpful throughout the year
  • My friends and I used this software called osmosis. Basically, you can upload the powerpoints and take notes in this software during lecture. What really makes it helpful though is if you are in a group, everyone can share study materials like flashcards. I think for each exam we would have about 1000 flashcards that we could share to prepare for the exam. They also have videos on high-yield topics that really helped me understand things I didn't quite get in lecture.
  • Find a group of people that you can study with, study groups were extremely helpful for me because we would fire off questions and quiz each other so we could figure out what we did and didn't know
  • Try to have a life outside of classes. I know that sounds impossible, but it is necessary. We had a group of guys that would go play basketball for a couple hours once a week and I found it really helpful in relieving stress. Just find something that can help you get away from the stresses of post-bacc even if it is only for 30 minutes to an hours
As a final note, LECOM puts on a big-little program for the post-baccs, I highly suggest you sign up for this. Basically what happens is they will divide you guys into groups of about 5 and will assign you to one or two MS1s. We will meet with you guys and answer any questions you have about the program, material, etc. It really helped me out and I know myself and other Post-baccs from this year are signing up to help you guys out next year.
Thank you for this. Are you officially accepted now? How realistic is it to hit the gym couple times a week?
Also are there any spots left in the accelerated tracks by the time you are done with your post bacc? Thank you

Thank you for this. Are you officially accepted now? How realistic is it to hit the gym couple times a week?
Also are there any spots left in the accelerated tracks by the time you are done with your post bacc? Thank you

Realistically you can hit the gym everyday if you would like. It all comes down to time management and efficiency. I was able to stay pretty consistent and be in the gym 4-5 times a week. Although sometimes I would get up earlier than normal and get a workout in. Also, making time for the gym is a must to keep your sanity when stress levels reach highs.

As for the accelerated tracks, I'm not sure what you mean. If you are referencing DSP or PBL, you will have to do very well in your first semester to receive your acceptance early in the spring semester as there are fewer seats available (for example, students this year with a high GPA, >3.5, from the fall received their acceptances late January.) The rest of the class had to wait until the end of the semester/may still be waiting. The students who had to wait until the end of the semester due gpa reasons were mostly limited to LDP, from what I understood. I was not interested in DSP or PBL so my case was different. I chose LDP from the beginning.

Reactions: 2 users

There is def plenty of time to hit the gym. Your'e only in class like 4hrs of the day. Usually not even that long, So studying 5-6 hrs a day plus 2-4 hrs of class time leaves plenty of time for extra non academic stress relieving time.

Reactions: 1 users
Realistically you can hit the gym everyday if you would like. It all comes down to time management and efficiency. I was able to stay pretty consistent and be in the gym 4-5 times a week. Although sometimes I would get up earlier than normal and get a workout in. Also, making time for the gym is a must to keep your sanity when stress levels reach highs.

As for the accelerated tracks, I'm not sure what you mean. If you are referencing DSP or PBL, you will have to do very well in your first semester to receive your acceptance early in the spring semester as there are fewer seats available (for example, students this year with a high GPA, >3.5, from the fall received their acceptances late January.) The rest of the class had to wait until the end of the semester/may still be waiting. The students who had to wait until the end of the semester due gpa reasons were mostly limited to LDP, from what I understood. I was not interested in DSP or PBL so my case was different. I chose LDP from the beginning.
Thank you for this. There is an accelerated primary care track for medical students that I wanted to be in. Only 12 spots I believe. I hope they don't fill them all by January.