LIU 2024-2025 (c/o 2029 hopefuls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hello, I submitted my VMCAS application to Long Island University but I haven't hear from LIU yet. Will they send us an email for an applicant portal where we can check the status of our application? What is this process like?
 
Last edited:
I haven’t heard anything from them aside from their emails about the VMCAS deadline, so you’re not the only one!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I submitted my VMCAS application to Long Island University but I haven't hear from LIU yet. Will they send us an email for an applicant portal where we can check the status of our application? What is this process like?
I applied last cycle. How the timeline worked was that after I received the general email, I received an MMI invitation on 12/20/23. They didn't have an applicant portal. After my interview I was placed on their waitlist on 2/12/24.

They don't give you a numerical rank where you are on the waitlist but rather tell you if you are in the upper or lower half. In the waitlist email it says:

"Typically, offers are extended to candidates who ranked in the top half after their interview. While your application falls in the bottom half, in previous admissions cycles there have been instances of offers being extended to applicants in similar positions."

They also never sent a formal rejection email after I remained on the waitlist. So, I typically emailed them every few months. I was finally told they closed the waitlist after emailing after the first few days of classes started. This was around the end of august. I am hoping they send some more notifications this cycle as I felt I had to seek a lot of answers from admissions and a tad in the dark. Good luck on this cycle!
 
The way I fully did the Casper test 2x now and just found out you were supposed to dress professionally so that’s cool. I scored in the top percentile the first time I took it and definitely wore a tank top so like finger’s crossed but also lol oops
 
The way I fully did the Casper test 2x now and just found out you were supposed to dress professionally so that’s cool. I scored in the top percentile the first time I took it and definitely wore a tank top so like finger’s crossed but also lol oops
I guess that means you gave really good answers, so good job! Based on their own explanation of the grading, the assessors aren’t supposed to grade you on anything appearance-based. I think they just recommend professional dress so that everyone wears essentially the same thing and it’s easier for the assessors to visually tune out what people are wearing and focus on grading what’s actually being said.
 
I emailed admissions last week with an update about my planned courses for this spring—they emailed me back to confirm they got the message, but their response started out with “Thank you for your interest in the College of Veterinary Medicine” so I had a little heart attack thinking that could only be a rejection letter. Y’all be warned if you reach out to them, don’t panic like I did 😅
 
Does anyone know if LIU averages retakes or takes the highest grade of the retakes?? I can’t get a straightforward answer from them and it’s very frustrating.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IMG_8062.jpg

So it looks like they grade replace for prerequisites courses only.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone have advice on preparing for MMI? this is my first cycle and i want to be prepared for this
i had an mmi interview already! you get a certain number of scenarios, time to read each scenario, then a certain amount of time to answer a # of questions with the interviewer. to be honest, i did a lot of practice and still had a difficult time. make sure to have some examples prepared for what you think can answer multiple real-life scenarios! but thats all you can do tbh they ask questions meant to throw you off.
 
i had an mmi interview already! you get a certain number of scenarios, time to read each scenario, then a certain amount of time to answer a # of questions with the interviewer. to be honest, i did a lot of practice and still had a difficult time. make sure to have some examples prepared for what you think can answer multiple real-life scenarios! but thats all you can do tbh they ask questions meant to throw you off.
did you use any specific interview questions to practice? i'm going to try to look for previous threads to see if anyone has posted past questions asked as well
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did you use any specific interview questions to practice? i'm going to try to look for previous threads to see if anyone has posted past questions asked as well
so i found this website and had a professor do a mock interview with me: 25 Veterinary School MMI Interview Questions and MMI Interview Questions 2023: Free Vet MMI Stations - Medic Mind

i was still super thrown off during my interview. idk how i did but im trying not to think of it too much lmfao cuz maybe im being too hard or too easy on myself idk! but yeah for the mmi, i think it helped a bit to do the mock interview because i had to practice coming up with my examples on the spot, and thinking about difficult scenarios.