LIU c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree with Lupin. This isn't going to be what people here will want to hear, but... honestly, at this very late point in the cycle, you should effectively treat being waitlisted as a rejection and start working on improving your credentials for next time if you're wanting to apply again. If you happen to hear good news in the meantime, then that's awesome! If not, at least you didn't spend the summer idling around waiting and you'll (hopefully!) have a stronger application for it. Keep moving forward.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The recommendation for any waitlist is always plan for the worst that you won't get in and be pleasantly surprised by by good news. Things in this world are always in constant flux. The better you learn how to adapt and not let it rule you, the better off you'll be. Communication issues are something that are present pretty consistently through the application process, in school (even the most established) and even more so out in the world as you likely know.
That is the decision I’ve made for myself. But it’s not just a communication issue, it’s the lack of communication. They haven’t answered anyone anytime they try to reach out. I’ve been talking to someone who is accepted to the class, and even email responses she’s gotten regarding questions have seemed cold. And for others here, it’s a bit difficult to want to work on strengthening your next cycle application when you were told by the school “you’re in a good position to get an offer” and then even those people don’t hear anything. They’ve sent offers to people weeks after they declined their waitlist position. I personally have tried to have as much leniency and understanding with this school as possible and have previously defended them with being need, but the tone that comes across in the few emails they do answer is just unwelcoming. I emailed another school I didn’t get in to for a file review even though they’re usually done over the phone and the lady was very nice and welcoming and accommodating for a school I didn’t even interview with compared to what I’ve experienced from LIU which I interviewed with.

Some of us want to take summer classes to help with the next cycle applications but we don’t know what to do because we don’t want to put money into classes and then magically get off the waitlist and have needed that money.
Unfortunately, applicants really should consider themselves rejected until they have an acceptance in hand. Waitlists are really just quasi-rejections; good enough to be considered, but not good enough to be picked out right. It sucks. It took three cycles for me to gain an acceptance due to being wait listed at my top OOS. One of my biggest mistakes was waiting for that wait list between my first and second cycle, which really put me behind for the second cycle.

The schools give the information they give. Some are better than others for sure. As applicants, we can only make decisions with the info we have. Yall don't have an acceptance; it behooves you to be prepping for the next cycle. Then, don't stop prepping for the cycle after that until you have an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally have tried to have as much leniency and understanding with this school as possible and have previously defended them with being need, but the tone that comes across in the few emails they do answer is just unwelcoming
This is also something you can work with: if you're dissatisfied with this cycle, don't apply to them again. There are 33 other state side schools (although TT only took Texans last cycle). That's 33 other options to shoot for.

Unfortunately, applicants really should consider themselves rejected until they have an acceptance in hand. Waitlists are really just quasi-rejections; good enough to be considered, but not good enough to be picked out right. It sucks. It took three cycles for me to gain an acceptance due to being wait listed at my top OOS. One of my biggest mistakes was waiting for that wait list between my first and second cycle, which really put me behind for the second cycle.

The schools give the information they give. Some are better than others for sure. As applicants, we can only make decisions with the info we have. Yall don't have an acceptance; it behooves you to be prepping for the next cycle. Then, don't stop prepping for the cycle after that until you have an acceptance.
I’ve already started my application again and found classes to take, I just haven’t registered yet because they are until the middle of June so I have time and I’m waiting to register for financial reasons. It’s not even not getting off the waitlist at this point, it’s the inconsistencies and backing up and changing what they tell. I’m sorry, but with being such a new school, you would think you would want to try to be as communicative as possible so you don’t deter people from reapplying.

This is also something you can work with: if you're dissatisfied with this cycle, don't apply to them again. There are 33 other state side schools (although TT only took Texans last cycle). That's 33 other options to shoot for.
If I had the money, I’d apply to all the schools I have the classes for

but with being such a new school, you would think you would want to try to be as communicative as possible so you don’t deter people from reapplying.
There are at least twice as many students applying as there are spots to fill. Schools absolutely don't need to communicate at all if they didn't want to from the perspective of filling seats. There will be students that will apply, regardless of the communication style of the school. Which leads to my other point...
If I had the money, I’d apply to all the schools I have the classes for
My point is that you have the choice to not apply here again based on your experience. You can stick to applying to x-number of schools; replace LIU with a different school. You not applying won't change their admissions process; but it may improve your quality of life during the next cycle.

And know that I agree that their communication has been sub-optimal (based on this thread). There simply isn't much an individual applicant can do about it. It seems once a school has provisional accreditation, there's not much stopping them doing what they are going to do.

Reactions: 1 user
There are at least twice as many students applying as there are spots to fill. Schools absolutely don't need to communicate at all if they didn't want to from the perspective of filling seats. There will be students that will apply, regardless of the communication style of the school. Which leads to my other point...

My point is that you have the choice to not apply here again based on your experience. You can stick to applying to x-number of schools; replace LIU with a different school. You not applying won't change their admissions process; but it may improve your quality of life during the next cycle.

And know that I agree that their communication has been sub-optimal (based on this thread). There simply isn't much an individual applicant can do about it. It seems once a school has provisional accreditation, there's not much stopping them doing what they are going to do.
I just hope for the people who are accepted or already enrolled, the communication is better and they are more helpful.

I’ve already started my application again and found classes to take, I just haven’t registered yet because they are until the middle of June so I have time and I’m waiting to register for financial reasons. It’s not even not getting off the waitlist at this point, it’s the inconsistencies and backing up and changing what they tell. I’m sorry, but with being such a new school, you would think you would want to try to be as communicative as possible so you don’t deter people from reapplying.
I imagine the reality of having an application cycle for any new group of people would go a little wayward. You don't ever truly know until you're in the midst of something like this. The sheer mass of emails from applicants and the ability to keep all forms of communication in one place and spread between all involved with admissions is a logistical nightmare. I guess what I'm saying is, try not to judge when it's not smooth sailing. Hell, even within my vet clinic, there are so many people trying to schedule appointments at once via online requests, call in, people needing to have a recheck or booster in x days, and doctor's scheduling their own things with callbacks/emails- Well, sometimes things get crazy and we all get frustrated that 5 people wanted that time slot.

I guess really what I'm saying, is I imagine they will get some kinks worked out, but it takes time and trial and error for this kind of endeavor. And as I've said, all schools have this issue on different occasions. Understanding goes a long way. :)

I was offered admission from the waitlist (May 27) and unfortunately had to decline -- so my seat is open for the next person! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
That is the decision I’ve made for myself. But it’s not just a communication issue, it’s the lack of communication. They haven’t answered anyone anytime they try to reach out. I’ve been talking to someone who is accepted to the class, and even email responses she’s gotten regarding questions have seemed cold. And for others here, it’s a bit difficult to want to work on strengthening your next cycle application when you were told by the school “you’re in a good position to get an offer” and then even those people don’t hear anything. They’ve sent offers to people weeks after they declined their waitlist position. I personally have tried to have as much leniency and understanding with this school as possible and have previously defended them with being need, but the tone that comes across in the few emails they do answer is just unwelcoming. I emailed another school I didn’t get in to for a file review even though they’re usually done over the phone and the lady was very nice and welcoming and accommodating for a school I didn’t even interview with compared to what I’ve experienced from LIU which I interviewed with.
In the news for the past few years, LIU seems to have had its fair share of troubles between faculty and administration, and declining enrollment/ poor graduation rates for its non-veterinary students. It's also very expensive for a vet school without a teaching hospital. All of the things I've read about LIU coupled with them trying to find their feet as a brand new veterinary school I am not surprised to hear they are not at the top of their game with responses/information. You have a right to feel upset about it.

Reactions: 2 users
In the news for the past few years, LIU seems to have had its fair share of troubles between faculty and administration, and declining enrollment/ poor graduation rates for its non-veterinary students. It's also very expensive for a vet school without a teaching hospital. All of the things I've read about LIU coupled with them trying to find their feet as a brand new veterinary school I am not surprised to hear they are not at the top of their game with responses/information. You have a right to feel upset about it.
And I was understanding of it at first. But the way they’ve come across as sounding annoyed when asked questions about the process and then just stop replying is what made me change by approach of understanding be being annoyed

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard from Karen yesterday- she said the class is full but it could change by the end of the summer. She also mentioned that I wasn't far down the waitlist, not sure how much it will matter, but keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of us waiting to hear!

Heard from Karen yesterday- she said the class is full but it could change by the end of the summer. She also mentioned that I wasn't far down the waitlist, not sure how much it will matter, but keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of us waiting to hear!
Did you ask her for an update or did she just contact you?

This threads been really quiet… assuming no ones been pulled off the waitlist recently?

Just submitted apps for next cycle! Anyone else doing the same?

Same!! I’d love to hear from the current students
I agree. I have just applied for 2022 as a transfer student. Were any of you on this thread accepted and attending? I’d love to hear your thoughts 😊

Hi there! Idk if this is the right thread to ask this but I’m an OOS applicant from the 2021 app cycle. I got invited to interview w LIU and I’m super excited, but it’ll be my first MMI style interview. I’m wondering if anyone from the c/o 2025 has any tips and anything about the school or program that I should know for the interview? I feel like the website is so bare so I figured I’d check with students who are actually enrolled in the program. Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated ❤️

Hi there! Idk if this is the right thread to ask this but I’m an OOS applicant from the 2021 app cycle. I got invited to interview w LIU and I’m super excited, but it’ll be my first MMI style interview. I’m wondering if anyone from the c/o 2025 has any tips and anything about the school or program that I should know for the interview? I feel like the website is so bare so I figured I’d check with students who are actually enrolled in the program. Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated ❤️
Hey! I don't go to LIU but I was accepted last cycle. From what I remember, they didn't ask anything about "Why LIU" or anything like that. It's almost all situation-based questions. Just rely on your clinical experience and use your personal experiences in the veterinary field to direct your answers. I would also caution against lying because you think there's a "correct" opinion for certain questions. They give you about a minute to formulate a response before you have to start talking, so definitely use that to organize your thoughts!

Hey! I don't go to LIU but I was accepted last cycle. From what I remember, they didn't ask anything about "Why LIU" or anything like that. It's almost all situation-based questions. Just rely on your clinical experience and use your personal experiences in the veterinary field to direct your answers. I would also caution against lying because you think there's a "correct" opinion for certain questions. They give you about a minute to formulate a response before you have to start talking, so definitely use that to organize your thoughts!
Hi! When you say to rely on your clinical experiences and vet experiences, does this mean the questions are typically directly from the veterinary field? This is my first experience with an MMI interview but I was expecting more questions similar to the Casper exam

Hi! When you say to rely on your clinical experiences and vet experiences, does this mean the questions are typically directly from the veterinary field? This is my first experience with an MMI interview but I was expecting more questions similar to the Casper exam
My interview last year was almost entirely veterinary-based questions. They want to know how you would react in situations you'd actually encounter in a vet practice. Similar to CASPer, but CASPer has questions that focus on office settings or friend group situations. The MMI questions were a mix of ethical and situational questions relating to the veterinary field.

My interview last year was almost entirely veterinary-based questions. They want to know how you would react in situations you'd actually encounter in a vet practice. Similar to CASPer, but CASPer has questions that focus on office settings or friend group situations. The MMI questions were a mix of ethical and situational questions relating to the veterinary field.
Good to know, thanks for the response!!

Like how you would treat a patient/ diagnostic/ medication questions?? Or like you have a client that’s being rude what do you do kinda questions?

Like how you would treat a patient/ diagnostic/ medication questions?? Or like you have a client that’s being rude what do you do kinda questions?
I interviewed with them two years ago. It's more like questions about what you would do in certain situations like "you have a client that’s being rude what do you do kinda questions." Read up on common ethical issues in vetmed

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone here a current LIU student able to answer some questions about the program?