LMU-DCOM (DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know just earlier today you told me that you were old and didn't move so fast so I wasn't allowed to trip you. Now that you've said you don't feel so old you can't complain anymore. HA! :smuggrin:

That's the beauty of it...I'm old and (sometimes) wise, thus I use it to my advantage when I can. However, I also love to act like I'm much younger on occasion. :) I've got to in order to keep my sanity!

Members don't see this ad.

I moved from Mississippi about 13 years ago which had a very diverse population (Pascagoula is about as far south as you can get in Mississippi). I went to a very small school when I moved here (approximately 30 in my graduating class) in Kingston, TN. We had 1 black guy in the school until my junior year when he left and we didn't have any!

I had 2 thoughts on my first day of school in Tennessee...
Man that's a lot of white kids
...and...
Why does everybody have either a buzzcut or a mullet?

You will not find a lot of diversity in East TN. The Mexican population is growing, but as far as I can tell, pretty much the only place you will find any Asian or Indian crowd is near Oak Ridge (there are a lot of Asian and Indian scientists working at the Oak Ridge National Lab).

To find a lot of diversity you would have to live in a large city like Nashville or Memphis (Nashville is still pretty limited though). You would certainly find more diversity in Knoxville than in Harrogate...but again, it's East Tennessee, home of the farmers and cattle!

I think this sums it up exactly. The important thing that I think any minority applicants need to remember is that just because the area isn't 'diverse' doesn't mean that they are discriminatory. I think too often people have a view that the south is bigoted. Of course this will be true of some people, but it will be true of some people in the big cities as well. I've lived in alot of major cities and I would say TN has been the least discriminatory place I have ever lived. So don't let the lack of diversity scare you a way. If anything it will make you unique and people will treat you even better

I just did a quick count of those I KNOW are married in our class...and it's about 25% or so. I'm not sure what % of those couples have kids...we're not amongst the "with children" crowd...so we're always lookin' for something to do when I have free time. Just cause we're married doesn't mean we're dead. ;)

:laugh: No, of course not! I was just trying to figure out who would be down to hang out, go out on the weekends, etc. (and I'm sure that's not too often considering the whole med school thing).

I was thinking the couples w/o kids would be more into hanging out and the people w/ kids would be more into hanging out with their families, ya know? I'm not discriminating against people with kids . . . just because you're someone's Mommy or Daddy doesn't mean you can't have friends of your own and have fun! ;)

EEL08, it would be so awesome if we both go to LMU . . . I feel like we're already friends in a weird way! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: No, of course not! I was just trying to figure out who would be down to hang out, go out on the weekends, etc. (and I'm sure that's not too often considering the whole med school thing).

I was thinking the couples w/o kids would be more into hanging out and the people w/ kids would be more into hanging out with their families, ya know? I'm not discriminating against people with kids . . . just because you're someone's Mommy or Daddy doesn't mean you can't have friends of your own and have fun! ;)

That's been my experience...both before and during school. Those that have kids tend to run with a different crowd, and that's totally understandable.

Living in Knoxville, we've been a little "out of the loop" as far as the social scene goes, but that's ok too....because we don't have a ton of free time anyway, and when I do, I don't mind being right here in K-town to get some dinner or go do something...

The coolest thing I've done since moving here was checking out Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies (awesome)...and I hope to make a drive through the mountains and check out some more stuff in Gatlinburg over xmas break...might even try to do some skiing if possible.

We did make it up to Harrogate/Cumberland Gap for a night out with folks one night...oh what a night! I need another UNC night on about the 19th or so!

EEL08, it would be so awesome if we both go to LMU . . . I feel like we're already friends in a weird way! :)
I am married, but both my wife and I like to go out whenever we have a chance. Most of you will probably laugh when you see one of the most popular dance club in Knoxville...the name says it all...Cotton Eyed Joe's. People actually line dance to rap music! That should be illegal!

If you're single and you're a woman, my wife always likes to try to play matchmaker with my single friends...so if anyone's interested...:love::laugh: ;)

I think this sums it up exactly. The important thing that I think any minority applicants need to remember is that just because the area isn't 'diverse' doesn't mean that they are discriminatory. I think too often people have a view that the south is bigoted. Of course this will be true of some people, but it will be true of some people in the big cities as well. I've lived in alot of major cities and I would say TN has been the least discriminatory place I have ever lived. So don't let the lack of diversity scare you a way. If anything it will make you unique and people will treat you even better
You are exactly right...no matter where you go you're going to find that...but all in all, Tennesseans are generally friendly to anyone that is friendly to them. If there is any problem in East Tennessee, it is just that of a lack of exposure. People may say something that to Tennesseans seems common...but to others seems rude or mean (I'm sure some of you remember the "gay" discussion...those would be the kinds of things someone from Tennessee would take for granted as not meaning anything whereas someone not used to it might take offense). I think it will be awesome that a place like DCOM could potentially attract a very diverse population.

If you're single and you're a woman, my wife always likes to try to play matchmaker with my single friends...so if anyone's interested...:love::laugh: ;)

I'm sooo interested! :laugh::love: I'm gonna need a lil' stress relief in med school . . . ya know what I mean? ;);) :laugh:

I am married, but both my wife and I like to go out whenever we have a chance. Most of you will probably laugh when you see one of the most popular dance club in Knoxville...the name says it all...Cotton Eyed Joe's. People actually line dance to rap music! That should be illegal!

wait me too, me too!

Don't be trying to steal my future man, Laura! :laugh:

back off girl you don't want to take me on........i can wipe that little smug grin off your little cow face

I'm sure some of you remember the "gay" discussion...

Exactly where this thread has traveled... of course, I'm indirectly referring to the beauty salon "chattiness" here, enough to drive the most manly of men absolutely mad. :smuggrin:

Regardless, good luck on your interviews, people - err, ladies. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
LMAO!!! i leave this thread for a day and...what the heack is going on:laugh:
and i almost missed all the fun!;)

prisons...i hope we are classmates next year! when is your interview? :luck::love:

Hey!

Does anyone know typically how long does this school give you to make a decision whether or not you choose to join? Also how long does it take to know after the interview if they accept you or not?

Thanks!

I like how everyone calls "prionsRbad" "prisonsRbad" or just "prisons"

LMAO!!! i leave this thread for a day and...what the heack is going on:laugh:
and i almost missed all the fun!;)

prisons...i hope we are classmates next year! when is your interview? :luck::love:

Thanks! I hope so too :D My interview is on January 8th! I can't wait!

Halloweenie - looks like we're both interviewing on 1/15. Woo Hoo! Good thing this is such a busy time of year otherwise I might not know what to do with all this excitement. I look forward to meeting you :D

Hey!

Does anyone know typically how long does this school give you to make a decision whether or not you choose to join? Also how long does it take to know after the interview if they accept you or not?

Thanks!

There is a standard timeline setup by the aacom in regards to how long you have to make a decision after receiving your acceptance letter. If you go to their website, you should find the info. It is based on when you interview at a school. Typically, you will find out about a week and a half after you interview, but it could be a few days longer. We are actually one of the quicker schools, I believe, at least of those I interviewed at. CCOM takes......forever.......their adcom meets only once a month.

I thought y'all might like to see some of the things that we've done this semester with SOMA. Nppro put together our November newsletter and did an awesome job. Good luck to everybody interviewing and waiting to hear back! I hope that everybody that wants to be here gets in... and then you will get to do all this fun stuff next year too!

http://www.dcom-soma.org/newsletter.pdf

Halloweenie - looks like we're both interviewing on 1/15. Woo Hoo! Good thing this is such a busy time of year otherwise I might not know what to do with all this excitement. I look forward to meeting you :D

Awesome! I can't wait to meet you either! Where will you be coming from? Are you going to the pizza even the night before? I'm trying to figure all my travel arrangements now, but I'm planning on going. Every time I think about this, I still get the big cheezy grin. :D:D:D

Don't be trying to steal my future man, Laura! :laugh:
Ladies, no need to be fighting over me just yet... ;) If you do though, please take pictures :)

I'll be one of those single and looking for places to party in free time people with you ladies.

prisons said:
I'm gonna need a lil' stress relief in med school . . . ya know what I mean?;);)
And maybe we can get the guy/girl split closer to 50/50 for our class because I'll definitely be in on needing that "stress relief" you are talking about while in med school.

:laugh: I know, right? That makes me sound kinda bad ass, like I just got out of prison . . . I like it. ;)

:laugh::laugh: we all need glasses LOL
and you are bad a$$:love:
i will be crossing my fingers on the 8th for ya as hard as i can!!!:luck:

on the side note, i need to VENT:

...maaaan...i wanted to shoot myself after my orgo lab test today (yes my school makes you take exams for the orgo lab class that is worth 1 credit hour:rolleyes: not to mention exams have nothing to do with anything we do in lab...and the amount of work in this class should make it worth 6 credits not 1 LOL)...i am seriously just praying for a C :oops: :luck:...along with another student who was also accepted to med school and nearly suicidal today after the test:scared:

when i see that C i think i will go drink sambuca (and i very rarely drink) like it's my: birthday+med school acceptance+wedding+winning lottery+whatever i ever dreamed off
LOL

mmmmmmmm.... Sambuca! I should get some of that for after our tests next week.:rolleyes: I hope the ochem turns out ok for you... now that i'm in school, i don't even remember what that stuff is anymore...

:laugh::laugh: we all need glasses LOL
and you are bad a$$:love:
i will be crossing my fingers on the 8th for ya as hard as i can!!!:luck:

on the side note, i need to VENT:

...maaaan...i wanted to shoot myself after my orgo lab test today (yes my school makes you take exams for the orgo lab class that is worth 1 credit hour:rolleyes: not to mention exams have nothing to do with anything we do in lab...and the amount of work in this class should make it worth 6 credits not 1 LOL)...i am seriously just praying for a C :oops: :luck:...along with another student who was also accepted to med school and nearly suicidal today after the test:scared:

when i see that C i think i will go drink sambuca (and i very rarely drink) like it's my: birthday+med school acceptance+wedding+winning lottery+whatever i ever dreamed off
LOL

:laugh: I am in the same boat. After getting acceptances its all about passing. I have extreme senioritis and I am finding it hard just to show up to class. Give me the C and I'll be on my way.:clap:

:laugh: I am in the same boat. After getting acceptances its all about passing. I have extreme senioritis and I am finding it hard just to show up to class. Give me the C and I'll be on my way.:clap:

LOL...seriously it's not only the "after acceptance syndrome"...all of my classmates are scared...our professor is totally crazy!
i loved ochem lecture but this lab thing...man...i hate classes like this...when you work your a$$ off (for 1 credit hour to make it even more ironic) and by the time you sit on the exam you start wondering if you are in the right room...because everything you see is unfamiliar and "cosmic":laugh:

i always say...tell me what i need to know and you bet i WILL learn it... this hit or miss thing doesn't quite apeal to me:confused:

ok i am done venting LOL

Still no letter in the mail :( Its now been 3 weeks since i interviewed. Theyre taking forever to get back at ppl!

Still no letter in the mail :( Its now been 3 weeks since i interviewed. Theyre taking forever to get back at ppl!
Dont freak out just yet. Thanksgiving was recently and they are backed up apparently still from that. Plus I think NascarDoc said that Dr. Stowers has been out travelling a lot lately. Be patient, it will come :)

Awesome! I can't wait to meet you either! Where will you be coming from? Are you going to the pizza even the night before? I'm trying to figure all my travel arrangements now, but I'm planning on going. Every time I think about this, I still get the big cheezy grin. :D:D:D

I'm still figuring all my travel arrangements out as well, and I really hope I'm able to make the pizza thing the night before. Right now I'm living in South Korea, but I'm flying home for about a month and a half to Minnesota on Christmas (actually Christmas will be 39 hours long for me this year with the time change :eek:) I've gotten used to people staring at me here because let's face it, as a white girl with blue eyes - I stand out, but now that I find myself walking around thinking about DCOM wearing that big, goofy grin, I'm pretty sure I have the Koreans convinced I'm crazy. :laugh:

for everyone that got interview calls: how long after you were complete did you receive one? I swear im sitting by my phone every day waiting for Jody to call me.. I've been complete since Wednesday..

Sorry that they are taking longer, but that Thanksgiving break thru a big wrench into it I'm sure. I think Dr. Stowers was in yesterday for the first time this week, and he is the one who signs off on the letters, so those may have been pushed back a couple of days. I would say you will hear something by next week. This is indeed odd for DCOM is terms of time b/c they are, usually, very quick. Sorry again and I hope you all hear something good soon!!!

I know exactly what you all mean! I'm finishing up biochem and anatomy now and all I can say is I'm thankful I started out really well in both!

Hi everyone!
Can those of you who have been accepted give me your stats? I'm waiting to hear from this school and I want to know how competitive I am. I really don't feel like reading through the pages and pages of DCOM discussion, though i've read some and they are pretty funny. Thanks! :)

for everyone that got interview calls: how long after you were complete did you receive one? I swear im sitting by my phone every day waiting for Jody to call me.. I've been complete since Wednesday..

I got the call they day they should have received my LORs. They received my secondary about a month before that. Remember though that Thanksgiving kind of changed the timeline as Nascardoc said. It's like meeting the guy you will end up marrying when you least expect it, you will get the call when you least expect it so stop expecting it! :laugh:;)

I got the call they day they should have received my LORs. They received my secondary about a month before that. Remember though that Thanksgiving kind of changed the timeline as Nascardoc said. It's like meeting the guy you will end up marrying when you least expect it, you will get the call when you least expect it so stop expecting it! :laugh:;)

haha you are right about that.. both my interview invites so far were days when i wasn't incessantly checking my email/mailbox for things.. though, i really hope DCOM calls at some point.. and not just not consider me for an interview at all..

Hi everyone!
Can those of you who have been accepted give me your stats? I'm waiting to hear from this school and I want to know how competitive I am. I really don't feel like reading through the pages and pages of DCOM discussion, though i've read some and they are pretty funny. Thanks! :)
Look under everyones names and see if they have an MDapps link. That will be the best way to check stats.

I had a 3.25ish GPA and 30P MCAT just to get things started. It really matters more about you though I think. Just because your stats might only be average or whatever, act like you care and you should have a shot. Or something positive like that.... :)

I have average stats for med school. Like Rose, I believe it really depends on you and how you feel about medicine at LMU. They seemed to put an emphasis on patient care and interaction. I got the impression that they hope to produce docs who will put personal care back into medicine.

i was complete last monday. got the call that wednesday. :love:

i am subscribing to the "if you build it, they will come," idea, as the omnipotent voice declares. of course, this is my first interview invite, so i really can't spew too much advice. :rolleyes: hang in there.

i was complete last monday. got the call that wednesday. :love:

i am subscribing to the "if you build it, they will come," idea, as the omnipotent voice declares. of course, this is my first interview invite, so i really can't spew too much advice. :rolleyes: hang in there.
Hi, I was complete last Wednesday, but due to their computer breakdown, will be reviewed this monday. When is your scheduled interview date?
thanks

I have to say, I'm glad the test stuff is over so I can watch my boys play in the Jimmy V Classic tonight...and watch the speech...it's something very near and dear to my heart. Wish I could be there.

Neuro is going to be "interesting".

More on the Jimmy V thing...a list from their website I have to read every now and then to remind me of some things....

Cancer Facts

In the time it takes you to read this short page of information, another five people were diagnosed with cancer and two more people will have died from cancer. Cancer kills about one American every minute of every day, or about 1,500 people every 24 hours.

• About 1.4 million new cancer cases are expected to be diagnosed in 2006. More than 20 million new cancer cases have been diagnosed since 1990.

• One of every two men and one out of three women will get cancer in their lifetimes.

• Three out of every four American families will have at least one family member diagnosed with cancer.

• About 565,000 Americans are expected to die of cancer in 2006. In the U.S., cancer is the second leading cause of death, responsible for 1 in 4 deaths.

• According to the National Institutes of Health, overall costs for cancer in 2005 were nearly $210 billion, including medical costs, the cost of lost productivity due to illness and the cost of lost productivity due to premature death.

• Approximately 77 percent of all cancers are diagnosed in people aged 55 and older.

• An estimated 9,500 new cases of cancer are anticipated among children aged 14 and younger in 2006. Other than accidents, cancer is the leading cause of death among children.

The Good News

Cancer researchers have a clear understanding of how cancer evolves, from the initial disruption of genetic material, and the signals that drive and nourish this growth and cause it to spread. We are at a crossroads in the history of cancer research and we are poised to make exponential gains, to even reduce it to a chronic disease, like diabetes. Early indicators include:

• For the first time in more than 70 years, annual cancer deaths in the United States have fallen. The number of cancer deaths in the U.S. fell between 2002 and 2003, the first annual decrease in total cancer deaths since the 1930s, when nationwide data began to be compiled.

• As of January 2002, it is estimated that there are 10.1 million cancer survivors in the U.S. Approximately 14 percent of the 10.1 million estimated survivors were diagnosed more than 20 years ago.

• People can reduce their risk of getting cancer through diet, exercise, weight loss and the practice of other healthy lifestyle factors.

• Today, 64 percent of adults diagnosed with cancer will be alive in five years. Among children, nearly 75 percent of childhood cancer survivors will be alive after 10 years.

Wow, those are some eye-opening facts.
My wife and I visited a friend in Asheville, NC this weekend who was recently diagnosed with colon CA at the age of thirty-five. Makes you realize it is never too early to make healthy life-style changes. It makes you appreciate those close to you as well.

BTW, my interview is this Tuesday the 11th!
See you all soon!

I really hope I get the call tomorrow... its been a while and this is the date they said I'd here.

Hey Halloweenie!

To answer your question from the interview invite thread, I'm flying into Knoxville, renting a car and driving to Harrogate. I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Middlesboro, KY which is a couple of miles from LMU. I'm getting so excited already! :D

Hi everyone!
I had a 3.7(ish) GPA and a 28R on the MCAT. It really is like Rose said though, let your personality shine through in the interview, secondaries, and primary. They are much more concerned with who you are rather than if you were perfect as an undergrad!

yeah...to answer the question about the stats...i guess i am the best example of the fact that they look at other things too...
my GPA was 3.2 and mcat 21M<---- yes i suck that much :oops:
but i was accepted to two schools so they must have liked something:D:laugh:

yeah...to answer the question about the stats...i guess i am the best example of the fact that they look at other things too...
my GPA was 3.2 and mcat 21M<---- yes i suck that much :oops:
but i was accepted to two schools so they must have liked something:D:laugh:

Just FYI from an accepted DCOM student my GPA was a 3.4 with a 24M mcat and I'm a non-traditional student (and my scores are low by comparison) since I graduated undergrad in 1996. Plus I didn't complete my application until March of the year I was accepted. Not the greatest scores and not the greatest academic set up but here I am. They look at your complete package so don't discount any part of it. And btw I am passing everything as a single mom with 2 kids with no family in the area to help me out. The point of this post is if you want it bad enough medical school and being a doctor can happen. They look at your potential at DCOM and they select students who they believe will make great doctors. Good luck and PM me if you need any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.