LMU-DCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, time to get the next set of applicants excited about DCOM!!! WHOOOOOOOSE EXCITED? :D

Alright, time to get the next set of applicants excited about DCOM!!! WHOOOOOOOSE EXCITED? :D

I'm reapplying hopefully get in this year but if not my primary is already in

Members don't see this ad :)
word of advice to applicants to class of 2013 not from TN or the appalachian region....

apply as early as you can.

word of advice to applicants to class of 2013 not from TN or the appalachian region....

apply as early as you can.

Does DCOM show a big instate/regional preference?

Does anyone know anything about the clincal rotations at DCOM? Are most of them in Knoxville? Will they have a lot of didactic learning experiences? Are they at teaching hospitals? Is that enough questions for you?

Sorry for all the questions, but if anyone has any insight, that would be great.

i dont know about "big" preference, ....but its there for sure.
from my experience applying and interviewing this past year, you want to apply as early as you can if you are not from the region

when (if) you interview, they give you a list of hospitals and locations of the clinical rotation sites....
or pvt msq a current dcom student and they will give you more information

Does anyone know anything about the clincal rotations at DCOM? Are most of them in Knoxville? Will they have a lot of didactic learning experiences? Are they at teaching hospitals? Is that enough questions for you?

Sorry for all the questions, but if anyone has any insight, that would be great.

Thanks for the responses fortima

Hey everyone, first post btw!!

I applied to LMU and this morning got a secondary back from them. My MCAT is....Friday!!! This is the second time I'm taking it and hopefully my last.

I hear they lean more towards closer residents. Well I live in FL, so I'm screwed =p

I guess I applied early, applications were sent out this morning, took aacomas roughly 4 weeks to send them out. Hope I get an interview here, I really like the campus.

Take care,
Peter

Hey everyone, first post btw!!

I applied to LMU and this morning got a secondary back from them. My MCAT is....Friday!!! This is the second time I'm taking it and hopefully my last.

I hear they lean more towards closer residents. Well I live in FL, so I'm screwed =p

I guess I applied early, applications were sent out this morning, took aacomas roughly 4 weeks to send them out. Hope I get an interview here, I really like the campus.

Take care,
Peter

My mcat is friday too. I'm ready to get it over with. Good luck friday and hope you get in.

I am from Wyoming and had the great opportunity to interview and be accepted to DCOM. I believe that I interviewed with a girl that was from California that was accepted and is attending there this fall. So as for preference for regional students, I'm sure there is one. But, it is sure possible to get an opportunity to interview and get an acceptance. It's a great school in a beautiful location. I would have attended had I not had an acceptance from KCOM. So Good Luck.

My mcat is friday too. I'm ready to get it over with. Good luck friday and hope you get in.

Thanks man, you too. Just in the library going over some review, then I'm heading to the gym and the beach. Can't stand this library tan I've gotten this summer!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone....
I'm back for round 2 which will hopefully end with an acceptance somewhere...i applied last year a little late around oct and was interviewed in march and was waitlisted.... This year I have already applied with my secondary application so hopefully I'll get in this year.....
good luck to everyone applying and DCOM is amazing once u visit it you fall in love with it

hi everyone....
I'm back for round 2 which will hopefully end with an acceptance somewhere...i applied last year a little late around oct and was interviewed in march and was waitlisted.... This year I have already applied with my secondary application so hopefully I'll get in this year.....
good luck to everyone applying and DCOM is amazing once u visit it you fall in love with it

I'm rooting for you this year! PM me when you interview and we'll make sure to stop by and say hi! :):luck:

Once there is more info available on rotations, I'll try to update to answer some of the questions that have been posed. Good luck to all those applying.

Thanks for taking the time to help us out MJB!

Regarding the preference for instaters or those in the tri-state region, I think it's a myth. Sure, there may be a fair share from the area taken, but from what I've noticed there have been people from all around the country so dont worry about that.

Good luck in the application cycle.

take it from someone who was waitlisted this past year and went through the app process with dcom (which was quite an adventure)....there is a preference...i think out of their class (c/o 2012), 75-80 of them are from TN/tri state region.

This being said, there are def still plenty of spots for out-of-staters.....but like i said before, apply as early as you can.

Regarding the preference for instaters or those in the tri-state region, I think it's a myth. Sure, there may be a fair share from the area taken, but from what I've noticed there have been people from all around the country so dont worry about that.

Good luck in the application cycle.

If that is simply how many are attending then it is difficult to tell. Most people will want to go to the school that is closest to their home area anyway. I'm sure there is a little bias, but I'd just need to see the actual numbers to verify.

take it from someone who was waitlisted this past year and went through the app process with dcom (which was quite an adventure)....there is a preference...i think out of their class (c/o 2012), 75-80 of them are from TN/tri state region.

This being said, there are def still plenty of spots for out-of-staters.....but like i said before, apply as early as you can.

71 of 160 people accepted into the c/o 2012 were from TN, KY or VA. How many of them were waitlisters, who knows. And there is nothing wrong with the school for doing that either b/c their mission is to serve the appalachain regiion and who is more suited to stay in that area and practive? Yes, people who are from there. But there are students in both classes from all over the country and internationally, so everyone does have a shot.

My question to you is why do you say the app process was an adventure with DCOM.

Just because you're from the region, does NOT guarantee acceptance. I drove 90 miles to LMU, from deeper in the Appalachian region and was interviewed and wait listed and not accepted. All of this while people from all over the country were accepted.

No one is "screwed" for being out of state. They DO take more people from the region, but that may be because that is the majority of their applicants in addition to the school mission.

DCOM is a private school and its not obligated to maintain a certain instate to out of state student body ratio. However, it is one of DCOM's goals to help the applachian region by accepting more in state kids to serve the region. Its a no brainer..they have the intention to help the region out hence you will see half the class from around the area. The other half will be from all over the place but this isn't any different from other private schools, for instance PCOM, NYCOM prefer students from their respective states. On the other hand state schools like UMDNJ, TCOM, MSUCOM have an 80 percent or more in-state acceptances.

gonna call on monday to see if my application is complete.... i hope i get an early interview!

Does anyone know when the first batch of interview invites gets sent out? Has the admission committee started to look at 200-2009 apps?
My secondary application is all complete since last week. Very excited and hopefully hear good news from DCOM. One of my top choices!

I was wondering about its accreditation status. I noticed that it has provisional accreditation. I know that a school usually gains accreditation after the first class graduates. But, can someone elaborate on this and also what it means to scholarships and loans etc?

I was wondering about its accreditation status. I noticed that it has provisional accreditation. I know that a school usually gains accreditation after the first class graduates. But, can someone elaborate on this and also what it means to scholarships and loans etc?

In terms of scholarships and loans, you are eligible for anything out there, including federal and private loans. as well as military scholarships. The only thing you aren't eligible for is some kind of health grant, or something like that, but you will have to check with the school on the specific one. You're right that DCOM is provisonally accredited until just before the first class graduates (yes, the school is given full accreditation before the first graduation, thus we are able graduate from a fully accredited school). DCOM will not have any problem in gaining its accreditation, in fact, we had the accreditators out last year and DCOM passed with flying colors and impressd them greatly. They will contiinue to visit the school each year up until full accreditation is reached.

I just called LMU-DCOM to check on my folder, and they told me they are calling people for interviews starting on October 6th. They are doing Mondays and Tuesdays.

Since I already had KCOM on the 6th, I'm doing the 13th.

Anyway guys, FYI. The lady I talked to said they had a "stack" they were going to call. I just happened to randomly call them first. HAHA.

WOOHOO!!!

:love:

Got the phone call this morning. Too bad I didn't answer since I was sleeping since I worked last night! I have to call back to schedule my interview. Yay! :)

Congrats to all the interview invites!:soexcited::zip::zip::soexcited:

YIPPEEEEEEEEEE Interview Invite im so excited

Congrats soccerchic! Hopefully I'll have similar news in the future. I decided to take Mr. Carney's advice and wait until we were off the wait-list. I am still waiting for my primary to process (4 weeks) and am thinking it shouldn't take me too long to get my secondary into DCOM again. This is going to be our year ;) Best of luck with the interview, keep us posted!

Hey guys,

I haven't posted here in a little while, but I figured I'd get back into it with the c/o '13 cycle starting and all. I just got invited to interview on Oct. 6th. Hopefully this is good news and means that they like me.:D

I really, really, REALLY like DCOM and I'm planning another trip there for the OMAC conferences this month.

Without over analyzing this, the question is: Is it a really good thing to be interviewed this early or am I just among a giant pile of people who will be interviewed early?:confused:

Hey guys,

I haven't posted here in a little while, but I figured I'd get back into it with the c/o '13 cycle starting and all. I just got invited to interview on Oct. 6th. Hopefully this is good news and means that they like me.:D

I really, really, REALLY like DCOM and I'm planning another trip there for the OMAC conferences this month.

Without over analyzing this, the question is: Is it a really good thing to be interviewed this early or am I just among a giant pile of people who will be interviewed early?:confused:

I'm looking at is as a good thing. I will be interviewing on October 7th (the second day). I worked really hard to be early and want all the advantages that come with it. I think there are a good amount of people that have already been invited, but it still is a rolling admission cycle. Early is always good. Don't worry about anybody else (or how many others there are). I thought about waiting for some interview feedback, but I think I'm ready for whatever they might throw at me. I think you are definitely at an advantage for being the first. Good luck!

I'm looking at is as a good thing. I will be interviewing on October 7th (the second day). I worked really hard to be early and want all the advantages that come with it. I think there are a good amount of people that have already been invited, but it still is a rolling admission cycle. Early is always good. Don't worry about anybody else (or how many others there are). I thought about waiting for some interview feedback, but I think I'm ready for whatever they might throw at me. I think you are definitely at an advantage for being the first. Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback, ali. Best of luck to you too.:luck:

DCOM is my first choice. I'm an east TN guy and I love the school, its' mission, its' faculty, and the area itself. PLEASE GOD LET ME GET IN HERE!!!:laugh:

You can look at the interview feedback from last year, I doubt the format and questions have really changed any. :)

And congrats to all the invites, and good luck!

and DCOM truly is an amazing school with amazing faculty and students, I'm soooooooo lucky to be here!

I got my interview invite - October 13th! Woo! I am driving out for the meet-up with the students the night before. I visited the school once before, when it was first built. I can't wait to see how it is now and to talk to the students.

YAY!

I don't know if anyone can help, but I have been searching this site for interview questions. I have an interview scheduled at LMU-DCOM on Oct. 7, and was wondering if a previous student could possibly tell me what the interview was like. Anything that I need to specifically prepare for? Thanks!

I don't know if anyone can help, but I have been searching this site for interview questions. I have an interview scheduled at LMU-DCOM on Oct. 7, and was wondering if a previous student could possibly tell me what the interview was like. Anything that I need to specifically prepare for? Thanks!

Here.

It is very laid back and you feel very comfortable. They asked ethic questions and why i chose DO over MD and common questions like that

Thanks for your help! I truly appreciate it! Anyone else interviewing on the 7th of October?

Just want to say Congrats to everyone who got interview invites! And good luck to those taking the MCAT on Friday!

DCOM is absolutely amazing :) Im from Cali and although it is a BIG change I feel so at home here. And dont stress about the interview, it was one of the most laid back I went on and there were no really tough questions, all basic stuff, just look over the DCOM interview thread and you will fine!

GOOD LUCK :luck:

Hey all,

Just wanted to add my congrats to the first round of interviewees! :hardy: It seems pretty obvious, but the best advice I got before my interview was to be myself. I think it's even more important at DCOM. You don't necessarily have to have perfect grades or perfect scores or tons of experience, they are looking for some caring, down to Earth people that are willing to work hard and make everything they can out of this opportunity. If they think you would be a good match for this school, they will accept you, and if not, that's okay too because you want to be sure to end up at the school that best suits you. That said, I have been so pleased with my experience here so far - I wish you tons of luck and hope to see you next Summer! :luck:

Just wanted to let everyone know that the No Bucks Coffee House is going to be open tonight (Sunday) since OMS-I has an exam tomorrow.

We will also be open next Sunday 9/21 4pm-?? so OMS-II can do their last minute cramming in highly caffeinated comfort.

www.nobuckscoffeehouse.com

PS- Pumpkin Spice coffee, lattes and cappuccinos are now available.

Thanks for your help! I truly appreciate it! Anyone else interviewing on the 7th of October?

I'll be there. They said you will either interview at 10:00, 10:30, or 11:00. Do you think that means it will be group style?

I'll be there. They said you will either interview at 10:00, 10:30, or 11:00. Do you think that means it will be group style?

From what I have gathered by looking at the interview style from last year, it seems that it will be 2 interviewers and 1 interviewee. My question is, does that mean that there will only be 3 of us interviewing that day?

Status
Not open for further replies.