LMU-DCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay! There are lots of bubble tea lovers...clearly a sign. :) Mango and HoneyDew flavored are the best.

I have my interview on October 13 and I'll be going to the pizza meetup the night before. Anyone else??

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone headed to DCOM for the OMAC (open house) thing tomorrow? I'll be there. Do any current students know anything about it besides the start time?

Anyone headed to DCOM for the OMAC (open house) thing tomorrow? I'll be there. Do any current students know anything about it besides the start time?

I'm going to be on the student panel tomorrow... A lot off the basics about the school will be covered, the mission, about osteopathic medicine, a tour, etc.. Two other students and I will also be doing an OMT demonstration as well. The OMAC should be pretty informative as well as giving you a feel about the school and area. My name is Andi, so you'll know which one I am when you get there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! There are lots of bubble tea lovers...clearly a sign. :) Mango and HoneyDew flavored are the best.

I have my interview on October 13 and I'll be going to the pizza meetup the night before. Anyone else??

I'm still a sucker for good 'ol plain milk tea.. mmmmmmm. Have any of you ever gotten an avocado smoothie with boba?? Its teh bomb. :rolleyes: I miss it so.

I still need to sign up for my pizza nights!

Bubble Tea??? I have never heard of this??? Does anyone know if they have iit n CA because I dont recall ever seeing or hearing anything about it?!

Anyways.... I live at the apts and I think the gym is not bad, its really small but Ive never had any problems getting onto any machines and supposely they are going to get more equipment soon? There is also a little room off to the side with a flat screen and you can put in workout videos, I just did a kick boxing one the other day so thats cool, and we have a pool :)

Im planning on going to the pizza night on mon Oct 13th and I cant wait :D

Bubble Tea??? I have never heard of this??? Does anyone know if they have iit n CA because I dont recall ever seeing or hearing anything about it?!

Anyways.... I live at the apts and I think the gym is not bad, its really small but Ive never had any problems getting onto any machines and supposely they are going to get more equipment soon? There is also a little room off to the side with a flat screen and you can put in workout videos, I just did a kick boxing one the other day so thats cool, and we have a pool :)

Im planning on going to the pizza night on mon Oct 13th and I cant wait :D

I've never heard of bubble tea either! I can't wait to try some somewhere. anybody going to be at the pizza night on october 6th?

From what I've been reading, it sounds like CA is where it first came to the US from Asia.

Does anyone here make it at home? Sounds like something I have to try. Always interested in new ways of getting that caffeine in me :smuggrin:

Does anyone here make it at home? Sounds like something I have to try. Always interested in new ways of getting that caffeine in me :smuggrin:

I know you can buy the stuff I just don't know where, my stuff was given to me. I would check at an Asian store I bet they have it there or you can order it on line. I had packages of the little balls that were dehydrated and bags of powder to mix w/ water and make into a smoothie.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like CA is where it first came to the US from Asia.

Really? Boy, I must not get out much! It prob was introduced in the big cities like LA of SF. Now am anxious to try it!

Geez I was under the impression that if Alabama has it everyone does. But I guess not. I'm gonna look for some the the tapico "bubbles" when I head back to Birmingham too so I can make my own.

Okay, we need to have a bubble tea workshop. We can make it ourselves and sample all the different flavors. OMT/Bubble tea night, anyone? haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone knows the statistics for applied/interviewed/accepted. Thanks for the help! Interview in 1 week and I'm pumped!!!

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone knows the statistics for applied/interviewed/accepted. Thanks for the help! Interview in 1 week and I'm pumped!!!

I'm not really sure but good luck!!! :luck:

Hi FutureDR!

It's hard to give you exact statistics because they're changing at every point during the interview process, obviously depending on how many seats are left. That's why it's important to apply (and hopefully interview) early. You could call the admissions office because I know I was told that info at some point after interviews ended last year, but I wouldn't concern myself with that. Just go through last year's interview question database to get an idea of the questions you might be asked and be yourself at the interview and it will go great! Good luck!:luck:

Since I don't know if everyone here reads the Osteopatic Forum as well I thought I'd post it agan here. Hey it took me like a whole lecture to write this up :p

So I've only been at school here for, oh about 9 weeks now but I figured it is at least be better than nothing.

Curriculum: I think it is good. This semester we have anatomy (with histology), molecular fundamentals (biochem, cell bio), essentials of patient care, OMM of course, and a medical statistics type class. Anatomy and Molecular take up most of the time. After the block exam we take a group exam. You go over the same test with a group of your peers and discuss the answers. Then you get to see what the correct answers are. This is great because you will know about how well (or bad) you did on the exam. Also you get the chance to challenge questions if a majority of people in your group got the question wrong and think it was a bad question (poorly worded, not taught well, etc).
The only con I see about curriculum which really isn't that big of a deal is that the schedule is different every day. Sometimes we start at 8:30, some days we start at 7:30, sometimes we only have a couple classes on Friday, sometimes we are here all day. You have to always check the schedule to make sure you know what time class is. The consistent thing is the days we have lab but the irregularity is whether your group goes first and whether you are in the lab or the break out rooms first. It can get confusing if you don't check the schedule.
My favorite class right now is anatomy because to me seems the most important to know to be a doctor. Also anatomy carries over into OMM hugely! The anatomy lab is very nice as well.

Location: First off the area is beautiful mountains! But I think the awesome natural beauty comes with the price of it being a rural area. If it were a big city there wouldn't be as many pretty trees around. So yes it's kind of the middle of nowhere. There is a super Wal-Mart, a tiny mall, and every type of fast food restaurant you could want ten minutes away. If you want to go to a regular mall or a sit down restaurant you have to travel to Knoxville (1.5 hours away). This isn't too much of a problem because you don't have time or money to eat out or go shopping all the time.
My biggest con: If you have pets (like I do) it is VERY hard to find a place to rent. I think more apartments and what not are being built.

Cost: Tuition for this year was $31,500. The other costs are here http://www.lmunet.edu/DCOM/finaid/budget.htm
The cost of living in the area is very cheap. I don't pay much at all for rent but I have a horrible landlord (I don't think anyone else really has this problem just me). The gas in this town has been cheaper than the neighboring cities as well. And if you go grocery shopping in KY (ten mins away with the Wal-Mart) they have no food tax.

Faculty: They are helpful and caring. Everyone wants you to do well and almost all have an open door policy. I feel like I could go up to any faculty and have a conversation with them. Of course I have some faculty I like more than others but it's just personal preference.
You have a faculty advisor assigned to you at the beginning of the year and they suggest you meet with them monthly. It's optional but it could be really helpful if you have a problem with anything personal or school related. My advisor gave me some really good study strategies. Of course you can go talk to any faculty if you need to but it is nice having someone assigned specifically for you.

Reputation: New school. We only have two classes of students currently. I think the reputation must be great since the amount of applications is greatly increasing each year. Everyone from the first class seems extremely happy and satisfied with their choice. I don’t see any reason why the reputation won’t continue to get better and better.

Study areas: We have 15 conference rooms that have a huge conference table, ten or so chairs, two large white boards, and a huge LCD TV that you can hook your laptop up to in order to watch lectures or look at study aides. The undergrad library (in a separate building) has a special section for medical students. I haven't been there personally but the pictures of it are really nice with comfy chairs and cute study tables. Also there are tons of tables and chairs outside that you could study at as well as two balcony areas.
My only con is there aren't any quiet individual study areas at the moment. I like to mostly study alone so I'd like to have a little desk/cubicle area to study in. This problem will soon be resolved though because they are building a new study room on the 4th floor that will be for individual study. I'm sure it will be available by the time the next class starts.

Social scene: I'm married so I don't really go to the bars that often. But by the looks of facebook photos it seems that a good majority of the class hangs out at the two bars in Cumberland Gap. Just last weekend they had a Toga Party. Other than those two bars you have to travel to Knoxville for restaurants, clubs, and more bars. I have a group of married friends and after each test we make a trip to Knoxville and go to dinner at a nice restaurant. Another thing is there is a ton of outdoor activities to do around here. I know people that go hiking, camping, bike riding, etc. No matter what type of activity you are looking for I'm sure you can find a group of friends here that like to do what you do.

Other Stuff:

Housing: There are student apartments 5 mins away from the school. I don’t live there because I’m married and have pets but I know a lot of people do live there. They have a pool, volley ball court, basketball court, and a workout room. The price is reasonable because it includes all utilities. I think it’s a great option if you live alone.
Lots of apartments have been built in the area and they fill up as soon as they are built. I am sure more will be coming since there is a demand. The only housing problem is if you own pets. I also know people that have bought houses in the area. Depending on what yours needs are will decide how hard it is to find a place to live.

Dress Code: We have one but it's not that bad. You can wear jeans!!! No t-shirts, no flip-flops, no tank tops/tube tops. So guys can wear jeans, khakis, dress pants with a polo or button up shirt. Girls have it a little easier because we tend to have a lot more options. For anatomy lab you have to wear scrubs and for OMM lab you can wear any shorts and t-shirt (not too short or controversial Ts)

Security: You get an ID swipe card. The building is open during business hours but after 4:30 you have to swipe to get in. Also the labs and conference rooms have to be swiped to get into. We have a security guard after hours. The building is 24 hours except on Friday and Saturday night when it closes from 12am-6am. It's really nice when you want to stay late and study.

Parking: Is not a problem. I think no matter where you park it wouldn't be more than a two minute walk. They added even more spaces to the parking lot and I have never seen it fill up.

Food and Drink: We have a large break area on the second floor. It has two fridges for our use, two microwaves, a coffee maker, ice machine,
toaster, two drinks machines, and two snack machines. We don't have our own cafeteria but you can walk about 5 minutes down the hill to the undergrad cafeteria. I haven't personally been so I'm not sure what the food is like but you can buy a meal plan if that's what you like.
In the lectures halls you can only have drinks in closed containers (coffee mugs, bottles, etc). Everywhere else in the building you can have food and drink. It's really nice to be able to sit in the conference rooms and bring in your dinner or lunch while studying.

Attendance: Attendance is required for all labs. Lecture attendance is not required but it is highly advised that you do attend. They could send around a sign in sheet or have a quiz that you won’t want to miss. Also any small group work is required attendance. So I know some people that would rather study at home so it really is what works best for you.

Technology: We receive a laptop. They are awesome tablet notebooks. During lecture you can take all of your notes on the tablet screen. Drawing on the powerpoints as you go is very helpful feature when teachers point something out during lecture.
All of our lectures are recorded and available to watch online. You can watch the speaker with the powerpoint lecture. This is really nice if you do happen to miss a lecture, you don’t pay attention during lecture, or if you miss something said. The feature I really like about this is I can watch the lectures on double speed.
The entire building has wifi. The conference rooms have large flat screen TVs to hook your laptop up to. The labs have multiple flat screen TVs so you never miss what’s going. There are flat screen TVs everywhere in this building lol.

Admin: The same rules that any school has. I think by this point you should understand how to behave yourself.

Rumors: I can’t really think of anything to put here.

Extra things: It’s a new building so it is very nice! Everything is kept spotless by our amazing cleaning staff (who by the way are very friendly).
We have an out-patient clinic on the second floor. If you get the school provided insurance you can visit the clinic with no co-pay. This is so nice when you get sick because it is not hard to get an appointment. Also your family can use the clinic. I think that in your second year here you shadow in the clinic for a certain amount of hours per semester. I know that at my last doctor’s appointment I had second years in the room (don’t worry they ask if it’s ok).
If you do fail a test you get assigned a free tutoring group.

Report Card
Curriculum: A
Cost: A
Financial Aid: A+
Faculty: A
Technology: A+
Study Space/Library: A
Library technology/Resources: A
Rotations: ?
Social: A-
Hospitals: N/A
Post Grad: ?
Cafeteria Food: N/A
Cafeteria Prices: N/A

Overall Grade: A
If you have any questions please send me a PM I’ll be happy to help!

Hey Malisa - thanks for the great write up!!!

I am married and have pets too! Looks like I may be coming to you for advice if I make it in! :)

Hey Malisa - thanks for the great write up!!!

I am married and have pets too! Looks like I may be coming to you for advice if I make it in! :)

No problem I will definitely be telling you who to NOT rent from under any circumstances :) Good luck with your application season :luck:

So I'm just now doing my secondary (yes, i realize this is a bit late) and I am having trouble with the PDF. As in, when I try to type in my responses, the boxes for them are in a spot where the line is going right through my responses. Did anyone else have this problem and if so, how did you deal with it? Thanks!!!

Hm not sure about that one. You can always print out a copy and fill in the blanks that way.

Okay, we need to have a bubble tea workshop. We can make it ourselves and sample all the different flavors. OMT/Bubble tea night, anyone? haha

If you do, please bring one by the store. I'd love to try one.

Great write-up Malisa!

I just wanted to add to the housing comment because I have pets and and had to find housing options outside of those provided for by the school. Malisa is right, it can be tricky finding a great place when you have pets, but like she said, there is new stuff being built all the time. One advantage of SDN is that hopefully some of us can steer y'all toward good landlords and available places. When it comes time to start looking for a place to live, don't be afraid to make a post here to ask for numbers and referals for places to rent. I have great landlords here in Middlesboro, with really cheap rent and a pretty decently sized place... and they love to rent to med students! Good luck to everybody!:luck:

I really just wanted to post on here because no one has in a few days- and I don't want the DCOM thread to be lost!

And I wanted to say good writeup Malisa :) And, I'll also commented on housing. I do not live in the student apartments- I was going to- but then my roommie (Prions) found an awesome apartment in Cumberland Gap. We are really happy here, and we just got a new puppy! Our landlady originally said no pets, but she was pretty accommodating when we asked if we could get one. Most people I know who live in the student apartments really like them, but I'm glad I decided not to live there- it's nice to have more space- and to be within walking distance to the two "bars"- both in the gap- the "Loose Caboose" and the "UNC" (our very own night club... hahaha) Y'all will understand once you see. :laugh:

Hi all,
Does DCOM tell me when I'm complete or do I need to call them to check?
Thanks!

I dont remember, but if they do they would prob e-mail you. I say call anyways though to check if they have received all your stuff, thats what I did, it helps them get familiar with your name too :)

Well, I'm headed for my interview on Monday!

I'll be at the Oasis for pizza tomorrow night with my wife. Hopefully I'll see some people from this thread there.

Give me good mojo people! :D

Wish me luck!!!

Well, I'm headed for my interview on Monday!

I'll be at the Oasis for pizza tomorrow night with my wife. Hopefully I'll see some people from this thread there.

Give me good mojo people! :D

Wish me luck!!!

Oh my gosh! I can't believe it's already time for interviews to start! So exciting! Hey HIPPIECHICK- are you going to be at Oasis Sunday night or Monday night? :D

Oh my gosh! I can't believe it's already time for interviews to start! So exciting! Hey HIPPIECHICK- are you going to be at Oasis Sunday night or Monday night? :D

I wouldn't mind going tomorrow if you guys want to? I could go for some pizza...and possibly a pitcher of beer... :p I prob wont go mon though b/c I will be studying!

I wouldn't mind going tomorrow if you guys want to? I could go for some pizza...and possibly a pitcher of beer... :p I prob wont go mon though b/c I will be studying!

OOh yeah.. you'll be there the next week!.. all my days are running together now...

OOh yeah.. you'll be there the next week!.. all my days are running together now...

Yeah, his interview is the 14th so we all gotta go mon the 13th after our anatomy practical! But Im still down for tomorrow, if you guys aren't doing anything and wanna go give me a call!

My interview is on the 14th, so I'll be at the pizza night on the 13th as well :)

Yeah, his interview is the 14th so we all gotta go mon the 13th after our anatomy practical! But Im still down for tomorrow, if you guys aren't doing anything and wanna go give me a call!

Ooh yeah I'll def. go then.. I'll be free from studying! woohoo! I don't know about tonight.. I'll ask the rooomie though. :)

Ooh yeah I'll def. go then.. I'll be free from studying! woohoo! I don't know about tonight.. I'll ask the rooomie though. :)

Okie Dokie, I know I should prob be studying too, but we only have 2 hours of class wed and then the whole day free on thurs so Im not stressing (I should be though, Im too relaxed about things sometimes)!:cool:

But we'll def see you on the 13th Koojo! And if we dont see you tonight The Letter J, good luck on your interview tomorrow!:luck:

Okie Dokie, I know I should prob be studying too, but we only have 2 hours of class wed and then the whole day free on thurs so Im not stressing (I should be though, Im too relaxed about things sometimes)!:cool:

But we'll def see you on the 13th Koojo! And if we dont see you tonight The Letter J, good luck on your interview tomorrow!:luck:
Thanks, HippieChick.:)

Yeah we need to study.. we ARE stressing about things haha... :(

Hi all,
Does DCOM tell me when I'm complete or do I need to call them to check?
Thanks!

I don't think I ever got notified for being complete until my call for an interview.

I'll head out the for the interview on the 13th. Is anyone going to be at the pizza night for the 12th? I noticed a few going this week and on the night of the 13th. I'll definitely be there. PM me if you're heading over on the 12th.

I don't think I ever got notified for being complete until my call for an interview.

I'll head out the for the interview on the 13th. Is anyone going to be at the pizza night for the 12th? I noticed a few going this week and on the night of the 13th. I'll definitely be there. PM me if you're heading over on the 12th.

Hey catchburns, I will be there on the 12th for Pizza Night at Oasis! I am excited to interview on the 13th as well. Does anyone know the turn around time for them to let us know about a decision after we interview?

Last edited:
Depending on whats going on it could be as soon as a week. I think on average though it's two weeks. Longest wait of your life lol. Good luck everyone interviewing :luck:

Depending on whats going on it could be as soon as a week. I think on average though it's two weeks. Longest wait of your life lol. Good luck everyone interviewing :luck:

Thanks malisa.

Hey catchburns, I will be there on the 12th for Pizza Night at Oasis! I am excited to interview on the 13th as well. Does anyone know the turn around time for them to let us know about a decision after we interview?

Sweet! See you there.

Yeah, it all depends on what Dr. Stower's has going on. When he's out of town or really busy, or if your interview is right before a holiday, it can take longer than a couple of weeks to hear anything. Just write a follow up letter to your interviewers (by email so it gets there in time) and keep your phone on you! Good luck at your interview! :luck:

P.S. Is anyone interviewing on November 3rd? I'll be at Oasis on the 2nd to answer your questions :D

How long did it take you guys to receive an interview invite from the time your file was complete???

Who all is going to the pizza night tonight? My wife is planning on going (and hopefully bringing me some pizza back)

Status
Not open for further replies.