Loma Linda applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarantismnow

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is difficult to get very much info regarding admissions to Loma Linda, whereas there is plenty of info on the UCs.

I was hoping that those applying could share their status -
date application complete (including secondary)/interview status/acceptance status/personal stats to get a timeline idea.

10/20, waiting for word on interview, 3.7 26R

Members don't see this ad.

3.09 29Q
application complete early october... not SDA (that is a big factor there as well). also, did not attend La Verne for undergrad... their other big selection factor.
p

I heard that LLU says they like to see 9's and 10's on the MCAT, but as poloace mentioned there are many other things including religion.

My info:

sent secondary application off 9/30, interview on 11/19, 3.9 40P and SDA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I was going to mention that Loma Linda seems to move pretty slowly and I've heard that they pretty much evaluate all the SDA applicants first.

40P???
wow.. that is pretty pimp. i wish girls were into MCAT scores. that would rock...

me - hey, what up girlie?
girl- nothing, leave me alone...
me - you know... they call me 40P
girl- oooh!!!!!!! i want it... from you, now... give it.
me- yeah girlie... you know what's up...

p

seriously though, that is really impressive- good job. i'm from right around loma linda (redlands) - its a decent area... kind of smoggy and hot over summers... but, the winters are mellow... and there is so much to do in so cal.

I'm from right around there, too (Redlands). What everyone else has said is pretty much accurate. Religion is HUGE there.

UCLA- have we spoken before? i think we have...you went to loma linda academy???
p

We may have talked before. I went to ACA (Arrowhead Christian Academy), though. :)

did you know ryan or DJ gallagher...? what year did you graduate from there? I was out of RHS in 97.

peter

I didn't know either of them personally, but I knew of them. In 8th grade my friend had a HUGE crush on DJ. :laugh: I graduated in 2001.

that's funny... i think i knew one other guy there. eric king- he probably graduated in 98- that's funny though. are you in so cal right now?
p

Yep... as the name implies, I attend UCLA. I still live in the Inland Empire, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by poloace
40P???
wow.. that is pretty pimp. i wish girls were into MCAT scores. that would rock...

me - hey, what up girlie?
girl- nothing, leave me alone...
me - you know... they call me 40P
girl- oooh!!!!!!! i want it... from you, now... give it.
me- yeah girlie... you know what's up...

p

seriously though, that is really impressive- good job. i'm from right around loma linda (redlands) - its a decent area... kind of smoggy and hot over summers... but, the winters are mellow... and there is so much to do in so cal.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That would be great. Hey, its cool to see all these people from Redlands :cool:. You also talked to me before Polace. I went to Loma Linda and graduated '99.

Yeah, I remember talking to you! :)

i miss in n' out... cali is just the best. oh, sweet cali.
p

Mmmm... In N Out! I think I'll go get myself a burger right now... except it's 7:00 in the morning, lol. :D

oh man i would love to go to in 'n out, why oh why did i leave california?

sti- where are you at? there is NOOOOOOOOOO mexican food in NYC... do you guys ever go to cuca's? god, i could use some cuca's right now (its 10:30 here...) ;)
p

I'm in Walla Walla, WA (eastern washington). There is decent mexican food here (not as good as cuca or other southern california food). However, there is hardly any good Asian food here. I really miss Sam Woo BBQ.

I go to Cuca's allll the time when I'm home. I love their huge burritos! :p

glad my thread united old friends!

it would be nice to know more about loma linda admissions though.

Originally posted by STi555
I'm in Walla Walla, WA (eastern washington). There is decent mexican food here (not as good as cuca or other southern california food). However, there is hardly any good Asian food here. I really miss Sam Woo BBQ.

Walla walla eh? Like Tanya from last seasons real world?

Originally posted by tarantismnow
glad my thread united old friends!

it would be nice to know more about loma linda admissions though.

What did you want to know about LLU's admissions exactly? A big thing for Loma Linda is your religious beliefs. You don't have to be SDA (but it helps), but they want to make sure that you won't have a problem going to an SDA school. Other than the SDA aspect I think their admissions are pretty much the same as other medical schools. However, I am not sure on their exact stats.

Here is a little background on Seventh-day Adventists and how it relates to LLU if you are interested:

Seventh-day Adventism is a conservative religion. SDAs are a Christian religion. They go to church on Saturday. While enrolled in the school you are not allowed to drink, smoke, or use recreational drugs. They also have a manditory weekly chapel service. Furthermore, many of the students and professors will be SDA and it could possibly be mentioned in class. A professor may say something to effect that the fact that all organisms use l-amino acids shows that there was a creator not evolution. You don't have to agree with this arguement (I don't find it to be terribly convincing), but if you get upset every time someone mentions something like that then you probably won't enjoy Loma Linda. Another interesting thing about Seventh-day Adventists is that many are vegetarian (however it is not a doctrine of the religion) and as such the cafe is probably veggie. Furthermore, even the non-veggies don't eat certain meats such as pig, shellfish, and other animals. Many Seventh-day Adventists don't wear jewlery. However, that is changing. Finally, some Seventh-day Adventists are not very tolerant of other religions, particuarlly older members. So, if you go to LLU I wouldn't be surprised if someone offends you at some point.

Originally posted by Bounty
Walla walla eh? Like Tanya from last seasons real world?

I think I did hear about that, but I didn't watch the show. However, I bet its the same Walla Walla. Anyway, it is freaking cold here right now. The low tonight is suppose to be 12F:eek:

Thanks for your perspective, STi555. Anyone non-SDA who has some experience w/ Loma Linda?

Despite the conservatism, I would think that there are some positive aspects of going to a religious school--i.e. greater commitment to community service, more emphasis on medical ethics, maybe a more caring atmosphere, etc. . .

I agree with basically everything that STi555 said. If the Christian atmosphere won't offend you and if you're willing to abide by all their rules (no drinking, weekly chapels), then MAYBE consider applying there. However, it will be very hard to get in if you aren't SDA.

thanks for the info.

Anyone know if the admin standards tend to be higher for non-SDAs?

10/3, still no word, 3.6, 28Q, non-SDA...i'm not even holding my breath

the no drinking thing is kind of questionable... i know a lot of people there that go out to the TGIFriday a mile down the road like everyday and drink... i mean, seriously... how many hard core science nerds do you know that didn't get plastered after exams in undergrad??? i personally know none.
p

Originally posted by tarantismnow
thanks for the info.

Anyone know if the admin standards tend to be higher for non-SDAs?

Yes, they are.

Originally posted by poloace
the no drinking thing is kind of questionable... i know a lot of people there that go out to the TGIFriday a mile down the road like everyday and drink... i mean, seriously... how many hard core science nerds do you know that didn't get plastered after exams in undergrad??? i personally know none.
p

I certainly won't argue that all of their medical students don't drink. However, you are not suppose to drink, but in reality its not like they send doctors around looking for you to be drinking, but you better not show up to class hung over.

Does any of you guys know when Loma Linda starts sending out acceptances / how long after an interview ?
Thanks !

Originally posted by Mcatatonia
Does any of you guys know when Loma Linda starts sending out acceptances / how long after an interview ?
Thanks !

The first meeting of the admissions committee at LLUSM is around December 17. They review applications in order of GPA/MCAT (of course you have to have your application finished and have interviewed). The committee then meets periodically after that.