Loma Linda Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
woo woo. i got the call like 30 minutes ago.

good luck everyone!:)

renovatio. 3302 is almost complete...

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for rubbing it in :p . Congrats.

I called the admissions office today. My file is still "under-review." :confused:
My interview date was the end of February. Anybody still under-review?
I called today, and i'm still under review too. I interview in early jan :(. Now, I've heard that they're sending out acceptances, rejections, and "alternate list". my friend called and was speciifcally told he was on the alternate list but when I called I was told I am still under review. Are these the same thing? tsdbird, any ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, someone did say that they are meeting every week in april. So that means there is atleast one meeting left next week. And they would not meet if they had rejected everyone who was going to be rejected, nor would they meet if they have accepted everyone who was going to be accepted. I think they are just narrowing down the pool to the middle, and people who are still "under review" are the on-the-fence cases. For me personally...with the "you'll be notified by the end of the month" response instead of the still "under review" I have a feeling my outcome might be not as pretty. Anyone who feels like telling me I am wrong and to be optimistic, please go ahead.

Well, someone did say that they are meeting every week in april. So that means there is atleast one meeting left next week. And they would not meet if they had rejected everyone who was going to be rejected, nor would they meet if they have accepted everyone who was going to be accepted. I think they are just narrowing down the pool to the middle, and people who are still "under review" are the on-the-fence cases. For me personally...with the "you'll be notified by the end of the month" response instead of the still "under review" I have a feeling my outcome might be not as pretty. Anyone who feels like telling me I am wrong and to be optimistic, please go ahead.

that's an easy one. You have a better MCAT and higher GPA than me...and oh yeah, YOU WORK THERE AND KNOW EVERYONE THERE!! You have connections I could only dream of. If you don't get in I dont see much hope for me...

I just got "The Call."

Apparently the adcom met yesterday.

I will write more when I have collected myself.

Good luck everyone.
Congrats!!!!!!!!

For the rest of you, dont loose heart. They could still call on Monday, as they tend to do sometimes. Its not over until its over.

Well, Dr. Nyirady called today, but I was unable to get the message since my phone had died. I had recharged it, but I was in a No Service area for an all-day field trip. I didn't get his voicemail till past 6, and in my excitement I deleted it! So here I was in the parking lot at school holding my phone and screaming "NOOOOOO". Then my phone completely died.

So yeah, I get to wait till Monday to confirm. Stay out of no service areas people!

And congrats to those who also received a phone call today; prayers to those who will surely receive one on Monday (just keep hoping).

Oh yeah, apparently, my call came at around 1:30.

Any point applying if you're not Christian?

Usually about 65% of the class are SDA Christians. The rest of the class are made up of Christians of various denominations. Very rarely does a non-Christian make it in those ranks, but it is not impossible.

so i called today and they told me i'd "be receiving communication from them soon"... is that good or bad? i'd imagine if i got rejected they'd just tell me, right? and didn't someone else say that they got told they were on the alternate list when they called? bah. i should taken more psych classesso i'd know what the heck was going on...

I'm in! And I feel like I'm operating on pure sympathetic right now (so hard to type). I going to run around the room now like a fool.

Um..let's hope they are still making calls (I interviewed 1/24 and they went incredibly well and the silence is killing me...).

:oops:

311, you have to get in. Your stats are great and you have been active in your church for 8 years...that sounds like the perfect non-sda applicant to me

Have you called and bugged them?

Members don't see this ad :)
311, you have to get in. Your stats are great and you have been active in your church for 8 years...that sounds like the perfect non-sda applicant to me

I did probably three to four weeks ago. I will call them today. Thanks for the encouragement!

I called and they said I should be hearing by them via snailmail by the end of the week or early next week. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
What the crap does that mean???

Does anyone know if people who received letters and not phone calls to be accepted???
I am going crazy. :)

that is kinda what i was told "would be notified by the end of the month"

I dont think anyone has been accepted via snailmail, but hopefully (for you and me and others) that the final acceptances are just being sent out via bulk mail

NMRguy (above) said he was told he was waitlisted but didnt say how he was told (call, email, mail)

atleast you have temple

interviewed 1/24. rejected via snailmail 4/22 (three months of waiting for a phone call and checking the mail three times a day...)

32R MCAT
3.94 GPA
what the crap else did I need?

good luck to everyone else....thanks for all your encouragement

that is kinda what i was told "would be notified by the end of the month"

I dont think anyone has been accepted via snailmail, but hopefully (for you and me and others) that the final acceptances are just being sent out via bulk mail

NMRguy (above) said he was told he was waitlisted but didnt say how he was told (call, email, mail)

atleast you have temple

NMRguy called in and they told him he was "placed on the alternate list". I calledand was told I'm "still under review", not sure waht the difference is... But i'm with you, I'm really hoping the're sending out that last bunch of acceptances in the mail.

rejected via snailmail.

32R MCAT
3.94 GPA
what the crap else did I need?

good luck to everyone else....thanks for all your encouragement

Crap...your stats are better than mine. I checked out your MDapps profile and you have more/better extra currics than me too...this is not very encouraging...I really dont wanna go to the post office today :(

I couldn't hold out any longer, and finally decided to call the admissions office. They also said I should expect a letter in the mail any day. Since I didn't get a call from Dr. Nyiradi last Friday, I am absolutely positive this is a rejection. Looks like it's Game Over for staying in Southern California. :(

Good luck to all of you who are still waiting. At least if you are on the alternate list, or haven't been reviewed yet, you're still in the running for a spot! :luck:

PS. If anyone from LLU is reading this, it was exquisitely cruel how you guys made me fill out the financial aid application, fax over forms, and even get a financial aid award. You should really save that for people who are surely accepted.

I couldn't hold out any longer, and finally decided to call the admissions office. They also said I should expect a letter in the mail any day. Since I didn't get a call from Dr. Nyiradi last Friday, I am absolutely positive this is a rejection. Looks like it's Game Over for staying in Southern California. :(

Good luck to all of you who are still waiting. At least if you are on the alternate list, or haven't been reviewed yet, you're still in the running for a spot! :luck:

PS. If anyone from LLU is reading this, it was exquisitely cruel how you guys made me fill out the financial aid application, fax over forms, and even get a financial aid award. You should really save that for people who are surely accepted.

Yea, I am not happy about not staying in so cal (I am hoping to be accepted off the waitlist in Philly). It was really difficult waiting for three months after interviewing and not hearing a word. The financial aid part is difficult too - but if you did get accepted it would be better to have completed early financial aid registration.

Good Luck Renovatio!

Got the unranked alternate letter in the mail today in San Diego.

Got the unranked alternate letter in the mail today in San Diego.

Hmm, then I guess I can hope for that much... :rolleyes: Thanks for letting us know. Good luck getting off that list! :luck:

hope? my mother doesn't have to think the mailbox might blow up any day....I like hope

also on the unranked alternate list...how does the "unranked" work? the meet and decide every time a spot opens up? Is it safe to hold your breath for 3 months? I'm not sure i'm gonna be able to breathe 'til I found out my fate...lol

Got my letter today from LLU saying I'm on the unranked waiting list. Whew! I feel like I dodged a bullet. Never so happy to be on a waitlist. :rolleyes:

Alternate list here as well. (I'm Jewish, if that makes a difference).

Does anybody know how many people end up getting off the alternate list?

DoctaJay, do u have any ideas?

why did I keep my mailing address in CO, it is taking forever to get there and for me to find out if the waiting game can go on (I never thought I would wish for more waiting)

also on the unranked alternate list...how does the "unranked" work? the meet and decide every time a spot opens up? Is it safe to hold your breath for 3 months? I'm not sure i'm gonna be able to breathe 'til I found out my fate...lol

There's an official "waitlist" that's ranked, then there's an alternate list that isn't ranked. As spots open up, they go through all the names on the waitlist first. After that, they go through the alternate list if necessary. Essentially, the unranked alternate list is just a backup to the official waitlist. I hope that helps..

There's an official "waitlist" that's ranked, then there's an alternate list that isn't ranked. As spots open up, they go through all the names on the waitlist first. After that, they go through the alternate list if necessary. Essentially, the unranked alternate list is just a backup to the official waitlist. I hope that helps..

source? To date, this year no one has been told they are on a "waitlist". Only accepted, rejected, or alternate list.

I'm very curious to know the source as well, because by the wording on the letter, it seems like there is a legitimate chance we will get in off this alternate list (they want us to keep updating them on grades, and complete our financial aid applications). :confused:

source? To date, this year no one has been told they are on a "waitlist". Only accepted, rejected, or alternate list.

I'm very curious to know the source as well, because by the wording on the letter, it seems like there is a legitimate chance we will get in off this alternate list (they want us to keep updating them on grades, and complete our financial aid applications). :confused:

Since there has been no reply to this in almost a week, might we possibly make the assumption that this information is less-than-credible? Is there anyone out there in SDN land that has been placed on a "ranked waitlist" and not the "unranked alternate list"?

I called the admissions office today to ask exactly what the unranked alternate list means. The lady on the other line said that there is no "ranked waitlist" and all the waitlistees are on the unranked alternate list. The committee will meet periodically as spots open up to re-review all applicants on the unranked alternate list and give out acceptances to fill the class.

So, I'm not sure where you got your information, M0G, but if it wasn't directly from the admissions office or a higher authority, I wouldn't trust it.

Good luck to all who are waiting! :luck:

the waiting is so painful! Well, to everyone still out there holding your breath with fingers crossed...rumor has it the might be some movement by the end of the week. May 15 is the deadline for people with multiple acceptances to choose their school so hopefully some spots will be opening up...

I just got confirmation for my withdrawal. Hopefully this helps one of you guys! ;)

Hey Guys,

Sorry for being absent for so long and not answering the questions that were posted before. I called Lenoa and spoke with her about my status on the Friday that I was notified because I had a big tuition deposit due at another school and I didn't want to pay that and then find out I got into Loma Linda on the same day. So she basically told me that I had been placed on the alternate list and that I should take that as good news (as opposed to a rejection, I imagine), because there are typically several people who are accepted off of the alternate list, so we'll see how that goes?!

Am I wrong to assume that they will soon be meeting again as more spots open up and has anyone heard anything official? I imagine that if they are still only meeting on a monthly basis, that this would be the week that meeting would occur, so??? If anyone knows anything about status/updates/etc., I'd love to hear it. Especially if anyone has been accepted off of the alternate list yet, what was that process like? Otherwise, I hope to see everyone there at orientation ;)

Wow, it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread. I take it no news from LLU for anyone still waiting on them? Hopefully they met this week, and will be calling a few people early next week? :luck:

Hey guys,

So, I figured I would call LLU this morning just to see if I could find anything more out about the process, being alternated, et-cetera. I asked Lenoa, "is there anyway to find out if students have been or are currently being accepted off the alternate list?", "does the committee meet regularly still?", and "are there any spots that have become available since the class filled?" She said that if a student withdraws an alternate student would be contacted, but that currently, the class is full and it would be impossible to discuss anything else about the admissions process with an applicant. I'm a little disappointed, because she seemed annoyed by my questions--"well, we would've accepted this guy if he hadn't kept calling & writing". Oh well, I guess at this point I just have to sit back and trust God.

Has anyone had a different experience so far? Good luck to all of you, I'm sure at least a couple will get the call sometime between now and August. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I did a quick search to see what happened last year with Loma Linda's waitlisters. If what happened then is any indication of what will happen this year, it appears that the admissions committee will not meet until the middle or end of June, and we should be notified late June or early July about an acceptance or rejection.

It does seem strange that you called yesterday and they said their class was currently full, even though almost every school seems to have some movement past their May 15 deadline. Perhaps LLU overaccepted students, expecting some to drop? It is also strange that LLU will not meet in the month and a half between May 15 and end of June. I guess we have a long wait ahead of us. :luck:

References:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=367698&page=5&highlight=loma+linda
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=401011&highlight=loma+linda+waitlist

So i was reading over the letter i received when i was place on the alternate list and it said we could be notified of an acceptance as late as august 7. But, i also said that tuition was due by july 31. how the heck does that work? We have to pay to go to the school before we even get accepted? That just seems wrong. Then again, seeing as how there has been absolutely ZERO waitlist movement in the last TWO MONTHS, I'm not sure it really even matters. Getting real close to just giving up...... :(

So i was reading over the letter i received when i was place on the alternate list and it said we could be notified of an acceptance as late as august 7. But, i also said that tuition was due by july 31. how the heck does that work? We have to pay to go to the school before we even get accepted? That just seems wrong. Then again, seeing as how there has been absolutely ZERO waitlist movement in the last TWO MONTHS, I'm not sure it really even matters. Getting real close to just giving up...... :(

I think if you are admitted before July 31, your tuition is due by then, but if you are admitted in August, they'll probably require tuition as soon as you commit to attending LLU (likely in a matter of days), so it would be best to have your financial aid forms ready to go.

There hasn't been much waitlist movement at all, but if you look at the threads from last year, it looks like LLU waits until the end of June to start pulling people off. I know that my friend withdrew from LLU last week, so there is at least one spot open.

Let's hope we see some movement off the waitlist this week. :luck:

If you go to Loma Linda, do you have to go to church?

you are required to go to chapel/assembly 1 hr a week, wednesday mornings (kinda a nice break from class actually) first and second year, where the whole school assembles (dentistry, PT, nursing, medicine, etc). And yes it is in a church.

the majority of the class are christian. some professors may pray before lecture, and they will pray before an exam. not unusual to me, but unusual to others.

I just graduated from LLUSM, start my internship tomorrow. :confused: had a great time there, am envious of those of you that will get to use the new Centennial Complex they are building.

This is very disappointing. Given the competition in CA, we have only one medschool that can help non-traditional students and this school is completely entrenched in religion. I thought that accepting applicants based on age, sex, race, and religion is discrimination. How can this school be above the law? I bet if you don't disclose your religion they will automatically assume you are not Christian. This is upsetting and this school is probably off my future list, although I will try to read a bit more about it. Probably having classmates most of whom don't believe in evolution won't be the most rewarding experience for many of us who don't believe in the bible. This is very disappointing and upsetting, but at least it will save money and time by not applying to LLU. It's funny how I never liked the name of the school and today I find out what it actually represents.

LLU doesn't accept/reject any applicant based solely on their religion, but they do give preference to SDA's and other Christians. As unfair and politically incorrect as this might seem, it really isn't much different that what all of the UC's are doing. Most of the UC's have it, IN PRINT, that they give preference to minority and underpriviledged applicants. Is this any less discriminatory? In fact, since we each have less control over our race and parents' income level than the faith that we choose, the argument could be made that the UC's are guilty of a greater discrimination. How sad is it that a PRIVATE institution that recieves little to no state funding and is almost completely supported by the religious community it represents, is scrutinized for giving preference to members of that religious community, while state-funded institutions can openly discriminate against certain demographics within their own citizens and tax-payers without raising so much as an eyebrow?

Last edited:
I just got that long-awaited, desperately hoped for call from Dr. Nyiradi today! They met last week, and they are in the process of calling the accepted students today. Good luck, and keep up hope. :luck:

I just got that long-awaited, desperately hoped for call from Dr. Nyiradi today! They met last week, and they are in the process of calling the accepted students today. Good luck, and keep up hope. :luck:

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D:D:D:D

Probably having classmates most of whom don't believe in evolution won't be the most rewarding experience for many of us who don't believe in the bible.

hmmm... probably a great reason not to go to LLU. if you would be at odds with the fundamental beliefs of the vast majority of the student body, you likely wouldn't want to spend 4 very important years of your life in that environment, now would you? it's almost like, i don't know, you wouldn't even belong there. but whining about it seems kinda silly - at least to me, a simpleton who chose to attend a school that actually lines up with my core faith and "entrenches" itself in monolithic principles in which i believe.

oh well, what do i know?

Congrats to everyone who's gotten in off the alternate list!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got the phone call from Dr. Nyriadi!! I was supposed to get the call yesterday but somehow got overlooked...and to think I had given up hope!!!!!!! God is truly wonderful!!!! I can't even begin to find the words to describe this feeling!!! Oh praise Him!!!!!

Last edited: