Loma Linda-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poloace

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone been invited to interview here that ISN'T sda???thanks-
p

Members don't see this ad.

I am Roman Catholic and I interviewed there last year. I didn't get my interview invite until the first week of January and my interview was scheduled for late Jan.

Other people I know who interviewed there and weren't SDA also received their invites around the same time as me. I have heard a rumor that the school interviews SDAs first then later in the process starts interviewing non-SDAs. Not sure if there is any truth to it or not.

i heard that too- and i believe it from my experiences there. anyway, good luck to all applying there.
p

Members don't see this ad :)
What's an SDA??:confused:

mormons are actually latter day saints.

seventh day adventist is a different religion but has strict rules as well.

mormons and sda are different..
i don't know that there is a mormon med school... is univ utah primarily mormon? i dunno... i just want to be in california at loma linda and eating burritos.

p

Just wondering for Loma Linda applicants, what is the SDA philosophy? How to prepare for it if one is nonSDA (like me)?
thanks for replies.

its basically the pursuit and application of knowledge with Christ in mind- and following strict rules of no stimulants (coffee, pepper... ). no alcohol either. but, all the first and second years i know there drink ... so, its kind of an act by a lot of the kids just to get into the school.

p

Originally posted by poloace
its basically the pursuit and application of knowledge with Christ in mind- and following strict rules of no stimulants (coffee, pepper... ). no alcohol either. but, all the first and second years i know there drink ... so, its kind of an act by a lot of the kids just to get into the school.

p

that's a little pathetic! my god, i wouldn't even think to apply if i didn't want to abide by the rules. no pepper??? geesh. i knew about the coffee and alcohol but pepper???? i'd rather go to a DO school or reapply than pretend to be something i am not and follow rules i do not agree with. but to each his own....

Originally posted by lola
that's a little pathetic! my god, i wouldn't even think to apply if i didn't want to abide by the rules. no pepper??? geesh. i knew about the coffee and alcohol but pepper???? i'd rather go to a DO school or reapply than pretend to be something i am not and follow rules i do not agree with. but to each his own....

I'm with you, Lola. I wouldn't go anywhere near a place like that.

i mean- you don't HAVE to be sda to go there... but, there is definitely no coffee or pepper in the cafeteria... no meat either. and, no mustard (cuz mustard is considered a spice).
p

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm still in shock over the no spice thing. what exactly do spices do to you?? they are not stimulants, or at least they don't stimulate me when i eat them!

i don't mean to offend anyone who has these beliefs. i'm just wondering what exactly is it about pepper and spices that is so bad? i get the coffee and alcohol thing (even though i personally drink them both).

poloace,
even though you don't have to be sda to go there, don't you have to follow their rules? also, don't they require a letter of rec from a religious leader?

i think following their rules is a bunch of weird crock... i mean, no one there follows SDA rules unless they're SDA. my father was a physician there- and all of the fellow physicians just left loma linda for lunch... and of course they all had coffee in the morning. i don't exactly know which rules they expect you to follow, but my guess is that they're more concerned with individuals attending chapel service than they are the spice/coffee/meat thing.

p

I dont know if you guys are joking around about this SDA thing.

No pepper and stuff? That is ridiculous people dont be so gullible!!

I am an SDA and we believe in no such things, that simply is ridiculous and legalistic. Well the question was asked on what SDA's believe: for your information its not pepper and not eating meat IS NOT THE RIGHT ANSWER!!!

Seventh Day Adventist believe that Jesus died on the cross for our sins so that we might have salvation (through him) and we are waiting upon the advent (return) or second coming. We believe that Saturday (the seventh day of the week as the bible states) is the day of rest and should be kept holy. we also believe in baptism by submersion of the entire body (not just sprinkles on one's head) under water.

In response to eating meat. I eat meat!!! These are not doctrines of the church that if you eat meat you will not go to heaven, this is simply foolish and absurd (hearsay tends to do this). These are more like helpful ways to live a better "more healthy" life. That's it!

hope that helps

rudy

The LL app asks if you have a clergy person, but doesn't require a LOR (they suggest it). I'd like to know more @ this no spice thing too. I don't like bland food.

hey, thanks for the clarification rudy 1223! i was thinking the no spices thing seemed a bit off, but i don't really know much about the religion.

i mean- you don't HAVE to be sda to go there... but, there is definitely no coffee or pepper in the cafeteria... no meat either. and, no mustard (cuz mustard is considered a spice).
p

I spent some time in a certain city in Utah that is populated (in the majority) by members of a certain church. Now I have no problem with this church or any other, but I felt a pressure to join and (when I did not join) an anti-outsider vibe that ranged from the sublte to the overt.

Now, I was certainly free in this city to do whatever I chose (within the law ofcourse) but the pressures and negative vibe placed upon me by many many people was always there. Again, I mean no offense, just offering that when you're not a member of a community that is very missionary and conversion-of-others based, it is possible for the situaiton to become uncomfortable. If you're fine with that, have at it, but I personally didn't like the feeling.

I'm not saying I know anything about SDA affiliated schools. I'm just saying that such things are possible when ANY religious affiliation is present.

Originally posted by Nefertari
The LL app asks if you have a clergy person, but doesn't require a LOR (they suggest it). I'd like to know more @ this no spice thing too. I don't like bland food.

Another SDA speaking up. The no spice thing is practiced by some really conservative members. However, this is not doctrine. I am not sure about the cafeteria. I would guess that they have pepper and stuff but the food is probably veggie. The lifestyle requirements are that the school does have is that you are not suppose to drink, smoke, or use reacreational drugs. I think that people (both SDAs and non-SDAs) often get way too hung up on these rules that really aren't that important part of our religion, but that is what stands out. Really most Seventh-day Adventists are pretty normal people. As for the LOR from a clergy, I would think that would really help your application if you can get a decent letter from a clergy person as LLU wants to make sure you will click with their school.

rudy- i in no way meant to offend or belittle anyone who is SDA. from what i have seen though, they ARE the very conservative type that STI was referring to. and, as for the pepper, i really was not joking. to my recollection, i do not believe that they had pepper in the cafeteria. i can say for sure that they do not have meat products or caffeinated sodas. the mustard thing i am also 100% sure about as well.

p

Yeah, the no spice thing is not a big deal. I volunteered at Loma Linda's hospital (LLUMC) and they only served vegetarian things.

what's the residential life at the school like? from what i remember, they don't have dorms- people live in nearby apartments... i dont think there are dorms on campus. being at columbia right now, i like the cohesiveness of the med school class, and i think a lot of it has to do with the fact that they all dorm together.
p

p

lol

rudy- i in no way meant to offend or belittle anyone who is SDA. from what i have seen though, they ARE the very conservative type that STI was referring to. and, as for the pepper, i really was not joking. to my recollection, i do not believe that they had pepper in the cafeteria. i can say for sure that they do not have meat products or caffeinated sodas. the mustard thing i am also 100% sure about as well.

p

I can easily imagine this being true as they often try to cater to the most conservative. The reason is probably two-fold. Usually the older people are more conservative and they have more money they are likely to donate unless something pisses them off. Secondly, they probably feel it is safer to error on the side of being too conservative rather than too liberal. But really its not a big deal there are dozens of places to eat within a few miles of the school, so while you may eat lunch in the cafeteria from time to time, its not like you have to eat there a lot and if you really hate it and don't want to go out to eat, pack a sack lunch. While I don't think Loma Linda is right for everyone I wouldn't toss it out because they don't have pepper in the cafeteria. Like I said before most Adventists are not so uptight, but the uptight ones get everyone's attention and give us that reputation (who are going to remember the five normal Adventists who didn't say anything wierd or the "waco" Adventist who tried to convince you to give up mustard. :laugh: )

If you want to know the history behind the no spices it is because a lady named Ellen White wrote something about no spices and Adventists believe that she was inspired by God. I believe that some of her writing was inspired but I do not believe that everything she wrote was inspired and many things that she wrote are now outdated. Furthermore, some of her writing were just good advice to for health but not a matter of faith. However, in Adventists defense I believe we have pioneered health advances in some areas, but I don't have any references handy. Hope I didn't ramble too much I just like to try to clear up misconceptions about my religion.

very well put STI.
p

I have an interview for Loma Linda in two weeks. If anyone has any questions please post them and I will see if I can get a chance to have them answered.

Poloace, I was going to answer your question about the residental life. I don't know how cohesive the class is, but I do know that nearly everybody (if not everybody) does live off campus. Aren't most medical schools that way or do a lot have dorming for their medical students?

columbia has dorms on campus... granted- they're not the nicest... but, everyone seems very close. good luck at your loma linda interview.
peter

Originally posted by STi555
I have an interview for Loma Linda in two weeks. If anyone has any questions please post them and I will see if I can get a chance to have them answered.
STi555, do you know what tuition will be for 2003-04? One source I have lists ~ $25,000 but i imagine it'll be a lot more next year.

Also, I've checked out the LL website & feel like I jive w/ their mission. However, I'm wondering @ the mandatory weekly chapel service. How much time does that involve? W/ the stresses of med school & not having even enough time to sleep, it seems painful to have to get up early on the weekends to attend chapel.

In college, I met a woman who's SDA & spent some time learning @ the religion. I think she's somewhat orthodox--she told me that part of the practice is not doing anything strenuous on Saturday, even studying. How does LL address this issue, esp. since weekends would be the only time to catch up on studying?

As a CA resident, I feel like I could deal w/ the conservative aspect of LL in exchange for all the positive aspects of the school (i just read an account in the allo forum @ how supportive the community there is) & being able to stay in CA. If you know anyone, I would love to get an idea of the overall impression of non-SDA students there. Thanks & wish you well w/ the interview!

Originally posted by Nefertari
STi555, do you know what tuition will be for 2003-04? One source I have lists ~ $25,000 but i imagine it'll be a lot more next year.

Also, I've checked out the LL website & feel like I jive w/ their mission. However, I'm wondering @ the mandatory weekly chapel service. How much time does that involve? W/ the stresses of med school & not having even enough time to sleep, it seems painful to have to get up early on the weekends to attend chapel.

In college, I met a woman who's SDA & spent some time learning @ the religion. I think she's somewhat orthodox--she told me that part of the practice is not doing anything strenuous on Saturday, even studying. How does LL address this issue, esp. since weekends would be the only time to catch up on studying?

As a CA resident, I feel like I could deal w/ the conservative aspect of LL in exchange for all the positive aspects of the school (i just read an account in the allo forum @ how supportive the community there is) & being able to stay in CA. If you know anyone, I would love to get an idea of the overall impression of non-SDA students there. Thanks & wish you well w/ the interview!

Last I heard tution was around $30,500. I am not 100% sure about the chapel but I think it is one hour during the week (not weekend). What people do on Saturday is pretty much up to the individual. Most people don't study because it is a good excuse not to and the Bible says not to work and they view that as work. Of course they make expections for things like call (the hospital doesn't close on Saturday). However, the library will probably be closed on Saturday, but other than that I don't think they care if you study, you just might have a hard time forming a study group on saturday. I'm afraid I don't know any non-SDA at Loma Linda, but I don't really know any of the students there.

the library being closed on saturday does kind of blow. but.. what can you do...? anyway- i'd love to be at loma linda for a number of reasons. their med school is relatively new, and the chan shun pavillion kicks arse. i have to go shower now.
p

Peter, I'm bumping up your thread to tell you your PMs are full yet again. :mad:
Are you cheating on me with another PM buddy? I swear, I'll cut off the cybersex until you admit it. ;)

hey... you let me be with my cybersex- though, you know i'd never hurt ya babe. i mean, come on... your name rhymes with vasoline (kind of). ;)

p

Well guys/gals if you want more info than what I post here, email me. You people need to get the real scoop from somebody!

We do attend chapel on Wednesdays from 8-9 AM.
We do have religion/ethics classes 2 hrs per week.
We do have dorms on campus, as well as nearby apts.
We do have a no drinking/no smoking policy.
Most of my classmates do adhere to the policy.
About 60-70% (best guess) are SDA.
Your religion does not give you preference in interview periods.
We have a progressive curriculum.
The cafeterias serve veggie food.
Most of the petty issues that have been brought up here (caffeinated sodas, coffee, meat, pepper, mustard) are nothing thats a big deal. As stated, conservatives may believe as such, but they are in the minority.

Like I said before, any questions please contact me. Don't let rumors or decades old information sway you from applying to a school like LLU SM. It is a great school.

falconer...
do you go there... the falconer (in redlands)???
just curious...
peter