LOR from DO if applying to MD schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stratosphere

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I know that if someone is applying to DO schools it is recommended that they get a letter of rec from a DO.

I was wondering if I am applying to only MD schools, is it preferred to get a LOR from an MD that I scribe for or is it okay if I get it from a DO?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The issue with physician letters is
1) they are mostly written for students by physicians they have shadowed for short, passive observations
2) they usually effusive in praise with little detail or evidence for such praise
3) therefore they are generally less than impactful
4) being a scribe for a physician is nearly irrelevant for framing the letter. It should be shaped as supervisor talking about an employee. In that regard, if you a traditional student, it is at best a secondary letter. It might be more important for someone who is doing a gap year or a longer nontrad
Thank you so much for your thorough response! I am actually taking 2 gap years and have been working as a scribe since I graduated so I think it would be beneficial for me.

My understanding is that it won't matter. I believe that the adcom will care a lot about what the physician thinks of you and very little about the letters after their name.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a DO write me a letter and I got MD interviews. I think what helped is that I had worked with him for a full year and he was able to write a very personal letter. Like the above said.. a physician letter is a physician letter.

Reactions: 1 users
+1 had a DO letter and going to MD

Reactions: 1 user
I was in the exact same situation with gap years/scribing. I applied MD and DO and one of the DO's I work with wrote both for me. It worked out, starting MD in August.