Low GPA: Next steps for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hopeful091

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

Here's my dilemma,
I graduated going on 3 years ago with a BA in Kinesiology from YorkU, my CGPA is 6.0/9.0 (have been travelling mostly since then). I have been seriously considering applying for medical school preferably in Canada but I am open to international schools as well as DO.

I'm wondering what my next step should be for my best chance or am I being unrealistic? I know my GPA is not competitive enough so what can I do to offset or improve this area? Time is not a concern.

I've been contemplating doing either a second degree (one allowing me to complete the science prereqs), a masters program (thou I don't believe I'd be a strong candidate for this either) or a post bacc in the US. Since I completed a BA and not a BSc I have none of the science prereqs, so I was also thinking of completing these as a non-degree student and writing the MCAT before applying to another program to see how I do. I spoke with an admissions officer at York and they recommended I take all the sciences at high school level before attempting to do them at uni so I did (will be finishing in June).

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies its very much appreciated!