I am having a lot of trouble going back and forth on whether I should apply this year or not. I am currently finishing up my 1st year of teaching and am waiting on my mcat score.
The problem is, my GPA is not that great. I went to a state school with huge grad deflation (3.2 was deans list, which I barely made freshman year). I transferred to a top 20 undergrad which I struggled with a lot the first few years due to overloading (each semester I was taking 2+ heavy science courses with a minimum of 18 credits) as well as adjusting to the new environment and family illness (parent had gotten really sick, had to retire, continually in and out of the hospital during undergrad). So I ended up with a 2.9 sGPA and a 3.4 cGPA. I double majored, and one is in a science, so I would need quite a few science classes to raise that grade.
My extracurriculars are ok, I've done research for about 6 years (since HS), including poster presentations, over 300 hours of volunteering in clinics, ~ 200 hours volunteering abroad, about 300 hours EMT volunteering , ~200 volunteering in schools, worked all throughout undergrad and over summer, ~200 volunteering in ED dept, involved in a D3 sport for a few years, held leadership positions in sorority/honor fraternity, worked as a medical assistant, shadowed for about 100 hours, and of course TFA.
I am a URM, come from a medically underserved area, first generation college student. I havent received my mcat, but had been scoring in the 510ish range (though not confident in this bc i had several test day issues and got news my dad was in the hospital again the morning of- i know, luck has not been on my side)
Is there any hope for MD acceptance, or do I need to take another year after TFA to do a postbac/SMP. I really do not want to have to do this as I am not as financially able, and will already be taking 2 gap years. Any advice would be appreciated!!!