This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worldwidemich

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
dltd

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go to your school's learning or education center for help with test taking skills. If you have test taking anxiety issues, seek out your school's counseling center for help with this. It's fixable.
Maintain the upward trends and apply broadly.
Shadow a DO and get LOR from same.

Hi there!
I am currently a junior at a State University in NY. My first few years of undergrad left a sting on my GPA and now I am very concerned. I was wishy-washy about what I wanted to do with my life and now I'm paying for it. I have about 2 W's, a few C's and C- 's. I am a psychology major and have the c's in classes I just couldn't take seriously/wasn't interested in. Working and personal issues seriously distracted me in my early years, but I'm completely taking the fall for that and learning from my mistakes now. I DO have an upward trend though. My last 2 semesters have had nothing lower than a B+. Will the continuation of this trend be seen as improvement?
I've also transferred schools more than a few times - so when I apply to Med school I'll probably be sending over like 4/5 transcripts. Do admissions reps see that as a bad thing?

Also, I have not taken all of my prereqs yet but will be done by spring 2018. My GPA right now is about a 3.048 with 59 credits taken. I believe that I can do well in my science classes -- I have Orgo and physics left. But even scoring A's in those classes (which probably won't even happen) I don't think it would raise the GPA significantly.
Should I even bother pursuing my dream of med school? I'm being pretty realistic and only considering DO programs.

The only strengths of my application are a tremendous amount of letters of rec (2 from D.O's and about 8 from MD's). I have yet to get letters from any science professors. Also, my parents went to one of the D.O schools that I'd ideally like to go to. Would the family history help? I don't think it would but I know the application always asks if a family member has attended the school.

I have years of shadowing experience, years of community service and many extracurriculars and honors awards. I don't know how much that would help me considering the Low GPA and potentially lower GPA with the upper-level science courses I still have to take.

I am also the WORST test taker, so I can only imagine how ill score on the mcat.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me?