This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdmorethanadegree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a couple questions. I am a senior who takes the MCAT in May.

Right now, my science GPA does not look very good to apply to DO schools on June 1st. I have a gap year already planned but I'm wondering the best path to take.
I'm wondering if it would be better to take some classes at my local school and work at the local hospital.
Or, if doing a masters at KCUMB is a good option. It is close to home and I would like to live at home to save money.

The only issue is my science GPA. I'm wondering if I stand a chance of getting into the masters program at KCUMB if I have a 2.6 science GPA.

I am a Kansas City resident so this gives me a leg up. I also have fairly strong extra curriculars with a good amount of volunteering. I also dealt with some heath problems from sophomore year through junior year that added to the trouble of my GPA.

The requirements are letters of rec, a science GPA of 3.0, and the MCAT or GRE.
Since I would be applying this spring I would take the GRE (I dont take the MCAT until May).

Is it worth the money to take the GRE and still apply given their GPA requirement? Like I said before, I'm a KC resident and I have had some health problems I could explain.

Anyone with similar experiences have any ideas?

Thank you,

A hopeful senior.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all.

I have a couple questions. I am a senior who takes the MCAT in May.

Right now, my science GPA does not look very good to apply to DO schools on June 1st. I have a gap year already planned but I'm wondering the best path to take.
I'm wondering if it would be better to take some classes at my local school and work at the local hospital.
Or, if doing a masters at KCUMB is a good option. It is close to home and I would like to live at home to save money.

The only issue is my science GPA. I'm wondering if I stand a chance of getting into the masters program at KCUMB if I have a 2.6 science GPA.

I am a Kansas City resident so this gives me a leg up. I also have fairly strong extra curriculars with a good amount of volunteering. I also dealt with some heath problems from sophomore year through junior year that added to the trouble of my GPA.

The requirements are letters of rec, a science GPA of 3.0, and the MCAT or GRE.
Since I would be applying this spring I would take the GRE (I dont take the MCAT until May).

Is it worth the money to take the GRE and still apply given their GPA requirement? Like I said before, I'm a KC resident and I have had some health problems I could explain.

Anyone with similar experiences have any ideas?

Thank you,

A hopeful senior.

So you're asking if you should apply to a program whose minimum is a 3.0 science GPA when you do not have a 3.0 science GPA? I think that's your answer.

Fastest route to DO: Retake all classes with a B- or lower, rock MCAT, apply to DO school, become a doctor.

Ummmm one of my friends got into the masters program with a sub 3.0 science GPA. I would call them and ask.

However, I would just retake the courses you did poorly in and raise your GPA. No need spending a ton of money on a program when you can do it for much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
A 2.6 is too low, you're probably below the institutional cut offs for admission even for their internal masters program. You're going to have to bring it up to at least a 2.75 ( might be more if your C gpa is low too).

I'm not trying to discourage you or anything, but KCU's masters program is no walk in the park, plenty ppl drop out of it and KCUCOM is even tougher, those who don't come in with an aptitude for science find themselves struggling, remediating, and or dropping out. Unless you've resolved your health problems and have begun to show an upward curve and improvement in your studies you really should be looking towards another career.

So in short, consider doing a gap year and retaking + doing extra upper level sciences. Likewise make sure your health is stabilized and no longer negatively impacting your performance. If after that you've reached a high enough gpa you can apply directly to KCUCOM and/or the masters program to improve your chances of staying in KC.

Ummmm one of my friends got into the masters program with a sub 3.0 science GPA. I would call them and ask.

However, I would just retake the courses you did poorly in and raise your GPA. No need spending a ton of money on a program when you can do it for much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Do we particularly favor in-state/ locals? Or do locals just inadvertently come in from COB?

I hate how they spammed my inbox throughout the entire DO application cycle. Thanks, but no thanks.