Match Day 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This profession has everything going for it. No cap on federal funding for residency training, moving to a three year residency model, steady growth in the applicant pool and increased acceptance as a valued member of the medical community. Plain and simple it is the selfishness of the profession for not meeting the residency needs of the graduates. The fear that someone better trained than I would practice next to me. While every other medical profession circles the wagons when challenged podiatric medicine runs for cover. Who would have guessed the number of positions from the beginning of the year to now would actually decrease. Go ahead and point fingers at the colleges, the national board and CPME, because there needs to be someone to blame. While every other profession is growing this profession does everything possible to shrink. There fewer graduates today compared to the 80's. At the end of the day tomorrow everyone look in the mirror and you will see who is responsible for this. A complete embarrassment that will only fortify the view other medical professions have of podiatric medicine.

There is only one quick solution. For programs that can expand to do so immediately for the next two years, for this profession to find a way to fund underfunded programs and for all hands on deck to start new programs while the temporary fix is implemented.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Students at my school get free membership to APMA while they are in school. Not sure if its like that everywhere else...

Every podiatry student gets a free student membership in the APMA, if they elect to accept it.

Members don't see this ad :)
At certain point all those students that attended Western were told that they are guaranteed residency...

Find it in writing and all of the Western students who don't get a seat can file a lawsuit...

Podpod2013 said:
It's so sad that CPME did not take that into consideration four years ago when they wanted to open that school

I don't know if you understand how accrediting organizations operate. Or how bylaws work. But I'll try and explain. Schools and residency programs simply have to meet the criteria set forth by the CPME. That's the easiest way to explain it. The CPME has to operate within their own bylaws. Because there was nothing in their bylaws at the time, nothing could be done to stop Western from opening. And then once Western did open there doors, all they had to do was meet all of the standards set forth by the accrediting agency. The CPME tightened up their verbiage so that no new programs can open up and they have expedited new program applications and site visits without sacrificing their own standards. They also approved 108 new seats at existing programs. Of course funding is an issue for a majority of those seats, but what else do you want to CPME to do? Give the hospitals money?

It's almost as if you read the letters CPME somewhere and just assumed they must be responsible for SOMETHING since they were named.

The final match rate for the class of 2013 will be around 89%. The lowest it's been for quite some time, but still not much different than MD's 93.7% (over 1,000 have to re-enter the match the following year). Your 20% number is not even close.

I never knew this. :D

This profession has everything going for it. No cap on federal funding for residency training, moving to a three year residency model, steady growth in the applicant pool and increased acceptance as a valued member of the medical community.

There is only one quick solution. For programs that can expand to do so immediately for the next two years, for this profession to find a way to fund underfunded programs and for all hands on deck to start new programs while the temporary fix is implemented.

People need to remember that not having the GME cap (as our MD/DO colleagues do) doesn't guarantee funding for programs. You have to think of GME $$ as a reimbursement because that's exactly what it is. In order to fund a new positions, the hospital has to front the costs for all 3 years of training. That's a good chunk of change for companies facing cuts across the board...

I don't know how feasible the "quick solution" is given how much it costs just to fund a single seat, but I essentially agree with the entire last paragraph. Robopod should be applauded for being productive in this thread :thumbup:

Neither of those organizations could be held liable. Your College/University, on the other hand....

Doesn't the APMA recruit or is it just schools? I really don't know. I thought I remembered videos and pamphlets from when I was looking into it about the greatness of podiatry and how the increasingly active adult population will need foot care... and so on.

Either way, good luck tomorrow everyone. Hopefully things somehow turn out for us and things get a little shaken at the top due to all this.

and for those of you who think MD/DO's can just go IM or whatever they want, you should read the actual NRMP data...99.4% of categorical IM programs matched. I guess I don't understand where all of these IM/FM empty programs are coming from.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/advancedatatables2013.pdf

The only difference between a transitional year and a preceptorship is a few k in salary.

and for those of you who think MD/DO's can just go IM or whatever they want, you should read the actual NRMP data...99.4% of categorical IM programs matched. I guess I don't understand where all of these IM/FM empty programs are coming from.

I took a look at that pdf and there's a ton of unfilled spots under PGY-1. I don't know what you're talking about. Straight from the pdf:
Family medicine 95.9% (filled)
Anesthesiology 95.9%
Neurology 95.5%
Ob Gyn 99.1%
Dermatology 97.4%

Given the number of offered positions especially family med, that equates to a ton of openings.

Regardless, it's off track and we're just wishing a little right now aren't we?

Ok, let's talk family med too. 95.9% of Family Med seats were filled. So of the 3,037 spots, only 125 remained after the match. If we only count US 4th year students (no foreign grads, no re-applicants), there are 1,097 of them who didn't match (6.3% of all 4th year students).

How exactly do all 1,097 graduates fit into 125 seats?

Besides the fact that the "med grad can always do FM" is simply not true anymore, it would be like saying, a podiatry students can just become a pedorthist or open a shoe store. Just like the MD student who goes FM is doing something "similar" to what they wanted to do on top of taking a pay cut...so would the podiatry grad.

He was hired 2 years ago by the AACPM to open up programs. He has done that and should see exponential increase in positions during his 3rd year..

Hey Dtrack, just out of curiosity what are you basing this on?

Family medicine 95.9% (filled) = 125 open seats
Anesthesiology 95.9% = 44 open seats
Neurology 95.5% = besides the fact that you have no shot to just go into neuro if you didn't match peds or ER.... 16 seats
Ob Gyn 99.1% = 11 seats
Dermatology 97.4% = again, just stroll into a derm residency and grab one of those empty seats...1 seat (only 38 offered to begin with)

Given the number of offered positions especially family med, that equates to a ton of openings.

Regardless, it's off track and we're just wishing a little right now aren't we?

a ton of openings?

Let's do the math. There were a TOTAL of 26,392 spots. They matched at a 96.5% rate. That leaves 923 open spots...for 1,097 US allopathic students that went unmatched.

But yeah, they can just all go FM...or Derm or neuro. But this is all besides the point. The AAMC is talking about shortages, that should be all you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Dtrack, just out of curiosity what are you basing this on?

The programs that have opened, the 6 who have completed CPME 309, the 24 who are either filling out or revising previously written CPME 309's, and the 69 who are waiting on hospital admin approval to begin filling out CPME 309.

There will be some attrition in the latter groups but the upward trend is noticeable and predictable. Just like sales in a start-up company...

Ok, let's talk family med too. 95.9% of Family Med seats were filled. So of the 3,037 spots, only 125 remained after the match. If we only count US 4th year students (no foreign grads, no re-applicants), there are 1,097 of them who didn't match (6.3% of all 4th year students).

How exactly do all 1,097 graduates fit into 125 seats?

Fortunately for them, there happens to be more than one specialty to squeeze into. And the fact remains, there are 125 OPEN seats, just for fam med. We're not to be so blessed. I know you're trying to defend the profession and gosh knows they need a friend right now, but the fact remains, DO/MDs have it a lot better than us right now. Their plan B actually exists and is within reach... ours? What else can you do with a DPM degree? Starting a campfire is all that comes to mind.

I don't think it's prudent to compare DPM and allopathic matching, however, at the same time it really isn't justifiable to suggest that allopathic matching "problem" is of equal magnitude.

80ish% of people in CRIPS won't match, that's the bottom line.
It does the profession or ourselves no favors to keep comparing our shortcomings with those of the allopathic community. If you want to justify pod match rate by saying there is also an allopathic shortage, that's your own business, but it shouldn't be the attitude (and I don't think/hope it is) of the podiatry profession.

This mess will compound at a staggering rate if it isn't addressed immediately. If this isn't completely fixed by next year, we need to ditch the 3-year residency requirement until it can be sustained with the planned growth of the field.

Fortunately for them, there happens to be more than one specialty to squeeze into. And the fact remains, there are 125 OPEN seats, just for fam med.

You should read the post 2 above your own. You should actually look at the NRMP data. You should read the AAMC report.

Even with EVERY opening of EVERY specialty, there are not enough spots for US allopathic students in their match this year.

I know you're trying to defend the profession.

Nope. You are just plain wrong about this and the fact that it has nothing to do with podiatry is not an excuse to let misinformation go uncorrected.

Read the AAMC press release. Look at the numbers again. An open position doesn't mean anything if you don't match into it.

You should read the post 2 above your own. You should actually look at the NRMP data. You should read the AAMC report.

Even with EVERY opening of EVERY specialty, there are not enough spots for US allopathic students in their match this year.

Wow. Good point. Read the one above yours.

This makes me sick to my stomach. I feel like I have been taken advantage and lied to directly in my face when the reps come to make speeches for us during our lunch break.

What is my best course of action at this point?

Should I cut my losses and drop out? Maybe I could go to nursing school but I'm not sure that they would accept my 2.18 GPA. Do nursing schools do random drug tests???

If you want to justify pod match rate by saying there is also an allopathic shortage, that's your own business, but it shouldn't be the attitude (and I don't think/hope it is) of the podiatry profession.

The assertion was made that a residency shortage doesn't exist in the allopathic world. That is incorrect and information relating to this issue has been provided in this thread.

Being outraged is understandable, but at least be outraged for the right reasons.

80ish% of people in CRIPS won't match, that's the bottom line.

over 80% of people in CASPR will match

MaxillofacialMN said:
If you want to justify pod match rate by saying there is also an allopathic shortage, that's your own business, but it shouldn't be the attitude (and I don't think/hope it is) of the podiatry profession.

Nobody is justifying anything. Just correcting misinformation brought up by other individuals on the boards. In fact, for the most part that's all I've been doing tonight.

1)The assertion was made that a residency shortage doesn't exist in the allopathic world. That is incorrect and information relating to this issue has been provided in this thread.

2)Being outraged is understandable, but at least be outraged for the right reasons.

3)over 80% of people in CASPR will match

1)Nobody is justifying anything. Just correcting misinformation brought up by other individuals on the boards. In fact, for the most part that's all I've been doing tonight.

1)Sorry, it sorta sounded like from my end that some people were of the attitude that because allopathic schools also had shortages we had nothing to worry about! My bad!

2) I'm not mad, personally. I had no skin in this game, so I'm not outraged. I will admit to being "cautiously optimistic" (read: terrified) for my own match in 4 years.

3) what's out like 1 out of 6ish (including reapplies?). I think that's like 15%, so I guess closer to 85%. Also, my bad on CRIPS/CASPR confusion!

Nobody is justifying anything. Just correcting misinformation brought up by other individuals on the boards. In fact, for the most part that's all I've been doing tonight.

If you're going to stay up correcting all the misinformation and over-exaggeration in this thread, I hope you're on an easy rotation this month and can stay up late:D

Why is everyone so concerned with the allopathic match?

I must say that I am sick to my stomach for my friends in the class of 2013.

The problem will likely compound into the class of 2014 as well. I think I saw 506 matriculates for the class of 2014, which is a lower than usual by about 60 positions?

I've been into contact with people in the know. They say the shortage is directly related to the sequestration and lack of funding. Western does not help, but it's not the main source of the problem. Congress and their childish inability to compromise has screwed over a lot of people. Obama spent a ton of money and thats why were in this in the first place but the sequestration should have NEVER happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
1)Sorry, it sorta sounded like from my end that some people were of the attitude that because allopathic schools also had shortages we had nothing to worry about! My bad!

2) I'm not mad, personally. I had no skin in this game, so I'm not outraged. I will admit to being "cautiously optimistic" (read: terrified) for my own match in 4 years.

No worries, thanks for being tuned in to the discussions.

Now I'm really worried that I wont get the residency that I DESERVE because I currently have a 2.0GPA (I failed anatomy but luckily they gave me a crash course over the summer and I was able to get a 70%). If it even matters, my class rank is 84 out of 92. This is so unfair that I'm going to school but then won't be able to become a real doctor. Even though I might not be the best student, I'm still pretty smart and I deserve a residency.

Now I have this sick feeling that I'm just wasting my time and money. Has anybody ever transferred credits into nursing school? Would I have to take another entrance exam or will they take my 14 MCAT?

Now I'm really worried that I wont get the residency that I DESERVE because I currently have a 2.0GPA (I failed anatomy but luckily they gave me a crash course over the summer and I was able to get a 70%). If it even matters, my class rank is 84 out of 92. This is so unfair that I'm going to school but then won't be able to become a real doctor. Even though I might not be the best student, I'm still pretty smart and I deserve a residency.

Now I have this sick feeling that I'm just wasting my time and money. Has anybody ever transferred credits into nursing school? Would I have to take another entrance exam or will they take my 14 MCAT?

Hi, i'm interested in podiatry, or np/pa. Did you really get a 14 on the mcat? I'm curious if you would suggest if i go podiatry? or should i go pa/np?

not judging. but a 2.0 and a 14 MCAT :eek: that's a recipe for disaster

Troll

donotfeedthetroll.jpg

Hey Dtrack, thanks for being on here all day and clearing up bull****. Simply put ... YOU ARE THE MAN. When i read about the shortage this morning the one thing that really got me piossed off is I knew that these people are the exact people that will start slamming the profession and speaking negative ( the last thing this profession needs is more people of this nature, it has enough already) and what have you ( its already started as you can see above). I know you have to be mad and frustrated but why bash the profession itself??.. cut that **** out... stop it. The profession itself has nothing to do with what is going on... its currently set for success as a matter of fact. So blame whoever you want but leave the profession out of it. For crying out loud, you dont even know yet if you matched or not.

not judging. but a 2.0 and a 14 MCAT :eek: that's a recipe for disaster

Well as I said earlier, I had a higher undergrad GPA, but this is my current GPA in school. Regarding the MCAT, the verbal section really did me in. I did fairly decent in the science sections (6 in bio, 6 in chem), but had an awful time with verbal due to dyslexia.

What I'm saying is that it's totally unfair that I've passed all of my classes up to this point but it seems like that just wasn't enough. It's unfair because in med school all you need to do is pass your classes to become a doctor. I guess I could go to the Caribbean for med school but I don't want to be so far away from home. The other option is maybe if I just drop everything now and go to nursing school, at least I know that I'll be a nurse in the end.

No one is slamming the profession....but the current situation HURTS the profession and it needs to be addressed.

The profession has set itself for success...at the cost of the students. Collateral damage I suppose.

Well as I said earlier, I had a higher undergrad GPA, but this is my current GPA in school. Regarding the MCAT, the verbal section really did me in. I did fairly decent in the science sections (6 in bio, 6 in chem), but had an awful time with verbal due to dyslexia.

What I'm saying is that it's totally unfair that I've passed all of my classes up to this point but it seems like that just wasn't enough. It's unfair because in med school all you need to do is pass your classes to become a doctor. I guess I could go to the Caribbean for med school but I don't want to be so far away from home. The other option is maybe if I just drop everything now and go to nursing school, at least I know that I'll be a nurse in the end.

Wait your first post with your stats wasn't a joke? I thought it was funny and laughed at the subtle sarcasm.

Yes, thanks to dtrack for clearing up/explaining things.

I guess one good thing that may come out of this is that it may discourage questionable applicants with poor self condidence from applying to podiatry school, having a net effect to increase the quality of applicants.

But hey, I have always been described as a "glass half full guy....."

Yes, thanks to dtrack for clearing up/explaining things.

I guess one good thing that may come out of this is that it may discourage questionable applicants with poor self condidence from applying to podiatry school, having a net effect to increase the quality of applicants.

But hey, I have always been described as a "glass half full guy....."

Or the really confident, highly-qualified students will see this mess and turn to other branches of the healthcare field...

I would be foolish to not reassess my own situation and weigh the odds of what the match will look like in four years....

I graduated 15 years ago and did an one year program. Can I be considered number 105? The 104 number is disingenuous.

How u were able to get into POD school with a 14 I can't comprehend. And just a note, 6's in bio and chem are nothing to b proud of...it's not "fairly decent". Yes I guess u can coast with a 2.0 but u r then setting urself up to not getting a residency when compared to the other more qualified students. Especially in a residency shortage. Holy crap.

How u were able to get into POD school with a 14 I can't comprehend. And just a note, 6's in bio and chem are nothing to b proud of...it's not "fairly decent". Yes I guess u can coast with a 2.0 but u r then setting urself up to not getting a residency when compared to the other more qualified students. Especially in a residency shortage. Holy crap.

Are you quite finished berating me, pre-pod? You don't know anything about how difficult school is.

Also when I interviewed, the admissions people told me that I would be just fine. That all I had to do was work hard and I would succeed. Well I am passing all of my classes!!! What I have to be rank #1 to have a good feeling of securing a residency?!?!?!?!

Your performance in school is poor at best. You are well below average. It's going to be a tough road for you. As it should.

The federal cuts have not been in place long enough to be the cause of this. Not a fan of his, but I don't really see how Obama can take the blame for 104 podiatry students not getting residency training....

Are you quite finished berating me, pre-pod? You don't know anything about how difficult school is.

Also when I interviewed, the admissions people told me that I would be just fine. That all I had to do was work hard and I would succeed. Well I am passing all of my classes!!! What I have to be rank #1 to have a good feeling of securing a residency?!?!?!?!

Let me put it this way, if you were a student at my school you'd have been subject to academic dismissal for having a 2.0 gpa. The fact that your school has let you stay on is ridiculous and clearly a cash-grab on their part.

Pre-pods don't go to podiatry school expecting an easier time than MD/DO. And don't barely scrape by and think that it's ok. It's not. You'll be screwed come 4th year.

The federal cuts have not been in place long enough to be the cause of this. Not a fan of his, but I don't really see how Obama can take the blame for 104 podiatry students not getting residency training....

Cuts have been responsible for the closure of a majority of the most recent programs as well as the lack of added seats from CPME approvals. Hospitals are simply too scared to front the money in today's political climate. Or in some cases they themselves are struggling financially and simply don't have the money.

Knowing how many of programs have dropped due to financial restrictions in the last month, I would guess that we're short around 40 seats because of $ concerns. Some will be back (ie Westside in FL will be taking 1 this year after all), but the shortage will still be big.

I hope I haven't come across as making excuses for the shortage. I think hotdawg is spot on. This sucks. You all should be mad. You should feel free to vent and blame whoever you'd like as well. I've only been attempting to correct misplaced or factually incorrect accusations. Sorry if anyone misinterpreted my intentions. I promise you that I have doing everything in my power to keep people informed and pressure the folks in charge to work on temporary and permanent solutions