Matching at internships without passing NAVLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

space whale

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to submit my application for rotating internships and getting ready to take the NAVLE for the first time this winter. I know there's a second testing window in April, but playing the devil's advocate here... what happens if you match at a rotating internship but you fail the NAVLE (either once or twice)? Nowhere on the VIRMP internship program information pages does it say that you absolutely have to provide proof of passing... just that you must graduate vet school and have a complete VIRMP application packet. Has anyone ever been in this scenario?

Members don't see this ad.

The purpose of NAVLE is licensing. The program description will state whether a sate license is required. Most private practice internships will require a license; many academic programs don't.

The purpose of NAVLE is licensing. The program description will state whether a sate license is required. Most private practice internships will require a license; many academic programs don't.

Thank you! I'm aware that most of the internships I'm applying to need a state license - but do you need to pass the navle in order to take a state licensing exam? I was under the impression those were two separate testing entities.

Members don't see this ad :)
In academia you are often operating under a clinical academic license where you are under the umbrella of the school, in which case you don't need to pass the NAVLE. Most private practice internships would like that you have your own license and have passed the NAVLE, but I know of people who didn't and they just can't sign off on prescriptions and have to operate under the supervision of another clinician.

Thank you! I'm aware that most of the internships I'm applying to need a state license - but do you need to pass the navle in order to take a state licensing exam? I was under the impression those were two separate testing entities.
It might be state dependent, but at least in Michigan you can't sit for the state exam without proof of having passed the NAVLE.

I do know someone who took several attempts to pass her NAVLE and did an academic internship without having passed. Disclaimer: it was her own school, and they knew the circumstances and more or less 'gave' her the internship while she continued to retake the NAVLE.

ETA: Just food for thought, but many international students rely on the fact that you don't need to take/pass the NAVLE to intern at an academic institution.

Last edited:

You need to pass the NAVLE in order to get a state license. Many state will have additional requirements, such as a state exam as well. It's up to the individual state.

The NAVLE is a requirement for licensure in every state. You'll need to pass it to obtain a license (along with meeting all the other requirements, which are state specific). For certain academic internships (and residencies) you will not have to pass the NAVLE, regardless of being a US citizen or an international applicant. Look in the program descriptions if a state license is required. If so, you must pass the NAVLE. If not, you're safe.

However, it is in your best interest to pass it (even if during your internship) in order to have as many open doors for when you are applying for residencies. Most specialty internships are in private practices and you want to have those as a backup plan in case you don't match for residency.

How about after passing NAVLE?

I am a foreign veterinarian. I already passed my BSCE (2018) and NAVLE (2019). And I am looking to apply for an internship. But I am scheduled until September for my CPE. Only after I pass that I can apply for the state license.
I have read somewhere else that sometimes some institutions accept interns after the matching process if there are slots available. Do you know how to apply for those? And in case it's not possible. How can I prepare an excellent package for the next session of the internship process in August-September 2019?

I have read somewhere else that sometimes some institutions accept interns after the matching process if there are slots available. Do you know how to apply for those?

The VIRMP will post a list of unfilled positions on match day (Feb. 11, 2019 this year). This list is available to anyone who has an account and applied. If you want to be considered for any of those positions, contact the individual program. It's best to do this as soon as possible because these positions are often filled quickly. About 2 weeks later this list is available to the public.

How about after passing NAVLE?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking. The individual program will either require you to have a license in that state or not. It's really as simple as that.

How can I prepare an excellent package for the next session of the internship process in August-September 2019?

The important factors are grades/class rank, letters of recommendations, experience and your letter of intent. I would ask several people are your institution who are familiar with internships review your application materials and help you with any suggestions.

Good luck!