1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Matching at internships without passing NAVLE?

Discussion in 'Veterinary' started by space whale, Nov 8, 2018 at 12:39 AM.

1. space whale

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm getting ready to submit my application for rotating internships and getting ready to take the NAVLE for the first time this winter. I know there's a second testing window in April, but playing the devil's advocate here... what happens if you match at a rotating internship but you fail the NAVLE (either once or twice)? Nowhere on the VIRMP internship program information pages does it say that you absolutely have to provide proof of passing... just that you must graduate vet school and have a complete VIRMP application packet. Has anyone ever been in this scenario?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. VIN-Foundation

The purpose of NAVLE is licensing. The program description will state whether a sate license is required. Most private practice internships will require a license; many academic programs don't.

4. space whale

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Thank you! I'm aware that most of the internships I'm applying to need a state license - but do you need to pass the navle in order to take a state licensing exam? I was under the impression those were two separate testing entities.

5. SocialStigma

SocialStigma OVC c/o 2015
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field], Veterinarian
    In academia you are often operating under a clinical academic license where you are under the umbrella of the school, in which case you don't need to pass the NAVLE. Most private practice internships would like that you have your own license and have passed the NAVLE, but I know of people who didn't and they just can't sign off on prescriptions and have to operate under the supervision of another clinician.

6. pinkpuppy9

pinkpuppy9 Illinois c/o 2019
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    It might be state dependent, but at least in Michigan you can't sit for the state exam without proof of having passed the NAVLE.

I do know someone who took several attempts to pass her NAVLE and did an academic internship without having passed. Disclaimer: it was her own school, and they knew the circumstances and more or less 'gave' her the internship while she continued to retake the NAVLE.

ETA: Just food for thought, but many international students rely on the fact that you don't need to take/pass the NAVLE to intern at an academic institution.

#5 pinkpuppy9, Nov 8, 2018 at 3:37 PM
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 3:44 PM
  7. VIN-Foundation

You need to pass the NAVLE in order to get a state license. Many state will have additional requirements, such as a state exam as well. It's up to the individual state.