This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDOC9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about matching into a spouses residency program. My fiance in a surgical residency as a PGY2 . I am applying to pediatrics and would like to match into his hospital/university. The peds program there is not really competitive. I was wondering how much weight the program will give to him being a resident there?

Also should we try to get his PD to pull strings? or make some sort of contact for me? He is a really good resident so I don't know if this will make a difference.

Anyways please let me know your thoughts! Thanks.

Also, some more info is that we are both IMG's (both programs the surgical and peds are super IMG friendly)
His program is 6 years so he will be there for a really long time and this would help us a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering how much weight the program will give to him being a resident there?

You are welcome to mention it during an interview process (as technically speaking, they are not allowed to ask). Some people may take that into consideration, others may not. In the end, I think it will be more do they think you are a good match for the program, not who your spouse is. But having your spouse already there may get you a sympathy boost, so its okay to mention that is one of the reasons you applied there.

Also should we try to get his PD to pull strings? or make some sort of contact for me? He is a really good resident so I don't know if this will make a difference.

No, I would suggest you don't do that. Nothing leaves a more sour taste in interviewers mouths to be told who they have to take in the program and who they don't because someone external to the program "pulled strings". Also, at some institutions, nepotism is against the institutional bylaws.

Oh no way! ok I had no idea. I will definitely not do that then. Thanks so much for your response.
You are welcome to mention it during an interview process (as technically speaking, they are not allowed to ask). Some people may take that into consideration, others may not. In the end, I think it will be more do they think you are a good match for the program, not who your spouse is. But having your spouse already there may get you a sympathy boost, so its okay to mention that is one of the reasons you applied there.

No, I would suggest you don't do that. Nothing leaves a more sour taste in interviewers mouths to be told who they have to take in the program and who they don't because someone external to the program "pulled strings". Also, at some institutions, nepotism is against the institutional bylaws.

Reactions: 1 user