Meharry Masters of Health Science Program 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one I know lives on campus but there is plenty of housing around that neighborhood...I would suggest somewhere in West Nashville instead of North Nashville/Germantown tho. My friends split a 2br/3ba apartment in Bellevue for about $750/person and it takes 13 mins to get to campus (18 during rush hour). Meharry is in-between two major roads, Jefferson (historically black area now being gentrified with absurd rent even though junkies still hang around the corners) and Charlotte (the other side of the train tracks). There are a lot of trendy neighborhoods all up and down those streets heading west (Sylvan Park, Urbandale Nations, Charlotte Park, and Hillwood, West Nashville/Bellevue). Nashville is pretty much run by musicians and students so looking for housing near Vanderbilt/Belmont/Lipscomb area is also a good bet. If you love your wallet, lots of space, and mad traffic, get a place in the triangle between the airport, the zoo, and Antioch.
Thanks for this insight. I was looking at apartments in Germantown but saw that you dont suggest. Do you mind filling me in? Also good hearing from someone from the area to help us know whats good. When I move, Im not tryna move again if I dont have to, so I am trying my best to get it right the first time

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for this insight. I was looking at apartments in Germantown but saw that you dont suggest. Do you mind filling me in? Also good hearing from someone from the area to help us know whats good. When I move, Im not tryna move again if I dont have to, so I am trying my best to get it right the first time

Yeah I love the Germantown area but OP wanted cheaper options. Some people are used to paying $1.5k for rent but I feel like there are much more cost effective options in less trendy/gentrified areas. Most of the lower income, inner city neighborhoods have been bulldozed and capitalized on so you generally find better deals in the historically white or suburban areas closer to west nashville/green hills/hillwood areas. Places like Germantown, The Gulch, and Edge Hill have newer, more attractive apartments for ~$1.5k/person vs $700/person in less gentrified places. Also hearing the yuppies complain about how their cars still get broken into despite paying exorbitant rent never ceases to amuse me.

Reactions: 1 users
Same here. I'd hate to keep moving my stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I love the Germantown area but OP wanted cheaper options. Some people are used to paying $1.5k for rent but I feel like there are much more cost effective options in less trendy/gentrified areas. Most of the lower income, inner city neighborhoods have been bulldozed and capitalized on so you generally find better deals in the historically white or suburban areas closer to west nashville/green hills/hillwood areas. Places like Germantown, The Gulch, and Edge Hill have newer, more attractive apartments for ~$1.5k/person vs $700/person in less gentrified places. Also hearing the yuppies complain about how their cars still get broken into despite paying exorbitant rent never ceases to amuse me.
Nashville sounding a lot like DC with the gentrification

Reactions: 4 users
(I've lived in Bellevue my whole life except during undergrad and work at Vandy. Issa smooth 20 min commute)
Thank you so much for sharing these information. Quick question some of us don’t have a car is there convenient transportation available if we were to live by those areas such as Bellevue? Or any where else?

Thank you so much for sharing these information. Quick question some of us don’t have a car is there convenient transportation available if we were to live by those areas such as Bellevue? Or any where else?
oof. public transit needs mad work and everyone here keeps shooting down bills to improve it. Without a car I would suggest biting the bullet and spending extra on a place either in walking distance to the school or somewhere on the Music City Circuit line (its a FREE electric bus that's pretty new)

Reactions: 1 user
oof. public transit needs mad work and everyone here keeps shooting down bills to improve it. Without a car I would suggest biting the bullet and spending extra on a place either in walking distance to the school or somewhere on the Music City Circuit line (its a FREE electric bus that's pretty new)
Thank you so much! This information was really helpful. Have a great Friday!! Hoping for best for all of us here on this thread!

It's happening everywhere. New Orleans, Los Angeles.... everywhere.
Oh, I'm hip. Whenever you see bike lanes popping up and people walking dogs when it's dark af outside, it's over

Reactions: 2 users
I read about all of that online which is why I'm hoping to live on campus. My little putt putt died on me 2 weeks ago, so no car for me

Last edited:
This Thread has been very informative. I am sure that everyone will be admitted. I also do know that the MHS program was not only invitation only, they also opened it up to prospective students who were interested in applying to the program generally. So I am assuming that is why they extended the class to 100. I did see that some of SDN member were talking about housing. I was wondering if you guys are located all in Nashville, if so could you list some cheaper close by zip codes or neighborhoods that would be a good commute to and from the school. I know that would be looking for a roommate if admitted could we start a list of people looking for roommates that would be pretty cool. So just your username and price point.

Is there also anyone who applied to the dental school and was invited to apply for the MHS program as well.

love the support through out this post.
I wasn't invited to apply but they sent an email saying that I'm being considered. I interviewed and never received a formal rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking earlier, how did students, who didn't get invited, find out about the program? You know since the program is not the easiest to find on the website? I'm just curious.

I was thinking earlier, how did students, who didn't get invited, find out about the program? You know since the program is not the easiest to find on the website? I'm just curious.
I randomly called to inquire about my application and was told about the MHS program. (Back in March btw)

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20190608-101256_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190608-101256_Chrome.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Mann it’s above us now lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Sound like a good way to bring money in @ 60.00 per app; they said it was invite only and I don't think they have been true to their word.

They sent me an email telling me about the program, and to apply by April 1st for an expedited review

Just read through all 39 pages (on my phone) of this thread... safe to say I’m anxious and skressed. Hiiiiii

Reactions: 7 users
Just read through all 39 pages (on my phone) of this thread... safe to say I’m anxious and skressed. Hiiiiii

Haha ur my hero for reading all 39 pages ahaha :laugh: Welcome!! Hang in there, there seems to be hope for this upcoming week!!

I plan on calling today to see what's up. Hopefully everyone who answers their phones will be on one accord.

Reactions: 5 users
I was just about to post that I am calling today. I would email but I haven't gotten any response from and email.

Post the information you receive. I haven't been getting through the phone past 10 am.

I was just about to post that I am calling today. I would email but I haven't gotten any response from and email.

Post the information you receive. I haven't been getting through the phone past 10 am.
Yea with them you have to call early!

So, I got accepted into the Morehouse Biomedical Science Master, the only reason I chose this program is due to the length of it. I also chose this program because I have heard many great things about the program. I will have to be honest after my conversation with admissions department. I really do not know if the excuse that this is an HBCU is valid anymore. I would still like to attend the program, but, it doesn't ease my anxiety when the admissions as well committee are missing deadline for acceptances.

Conversation with admissions: We are not sure when we are getting decisions, we are not previewed to that information. He also said that they are not sure when they will be sending out admissions decisions. After asking him if applicants would hear something back by at least August. He sounded very frustrated and went as far as saying that the MHS program isn't the admissions priority as the medical school and dent classes aren't filled... sigh

I hope that someone has more promising new. I got nothing. :(

So, I got accepted into the Morehouse Biomedical Science Master, the only reason I chose this program is due to the length of it. I also chose this program because I have heard many great things about the program. I will have to be honest after my conversation with admissions department. I really do not know if the excuse that this is an HBCU is valid anymore. I would still like to attend the program, but, it doesn't ease my anxiety when the admissions as well committee are missing deadline for acceptances.

Conversation with admissions: We are not sure when we are getting decisions, we are not previewed to that information. He also said that they are not sure when they will be sending out admissions decisions. After asking him if applicants would hear something back by at least August. He sounded very frustrated and went as far as saying that the MHS program isn't the admissions priority as the medical school and dent classes aren't filled... sigh

I think this is how it always has been it's just this year they dropped the ball since they probably sent out way more invitations then they previously have before. If you remember someone earlier someone that spoke to the Dean said the admissions bit off more than they can chew. That's what I think happened. It happens. Does it look good on admissions? No. But it is what it is.

Reactions: 3 users
I think this is how it always has been it's just this year they dropped the ball since they probably sent out way more invitations then they previously have before. If you remember someone earlier someone that spoke to the Dean said the admissions bit off more than they can chew. That's what I think happened. It happens. Does it look good on admissions? No. But it is what it is.

Who else can we speak to about the situation? I’m especially upset about rushing to do that app for priority decisions.

Wow the medical and dental classes aren’t filled and orientation starts next week for them.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow the medical and dental classes aren’t filled and orientation starts next week for them.
I am willing to take one of those empty med school spots LOL ! But also why did they send us invites for this program when they could have taken a chance on us and just offered us those seats or even waitlisted us maybe ?

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

The guy I talked to this morning told me that they were still aiming on getting decisions out by the end of the week.
And if they have waitlists for the medical and dental classes, I would think they could just go down the line and not exert so much energy.

The guy I talked to this morning told me that they were still aiming on getting decisions out by the end of the week.
And if they have waitlists for the medical and dental classes, I would think they could just go down the line and not exert so much energy.

“By the end of the week”
By 4/30...5/15...6/1...last week...this week...never...

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.