Meharry Masters of Health Science Program 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow the medical and dental classes aren’t filled and orientation starts next week for them.

They must have had a lot of people drop to go to other schools last minute

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I think this is how it always has been it's just this year they dropped the ball since they probably sent out way more invitations then they previously have before. If you remember someone earlier someone that spoke to the Dean said the admissions bit off more than they can chew. That's what I think happened. It happens. Does it look good on admissions? No. But it is what it is.
My sentiments. I'm just going to be patient

Reactions: 1 user
I just spoke to a very nice man in admissions who repeatedly apologized but again, could not tell any date that we would hear by. He said that it is totally out of Admissions' hands. He said are literally begging the committee for decisions because they realize they people have to deal with issues such as housing etc. I am no longer expecting much here.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, don't quit yall jobs just yet lol but seriously make your money as long as you can but definitely tell your manager about the possibility of you leaving and give a timeframe. 2 week notices are a formality. It takes a lot longer to hire and replace and you don't want to accidentally burn a bridge. Just an fyi for some of yall.

Reactions: 4 users
Well, don't quit yall jobs just yet lol but seriously make your money as long as you can but definitely tell your manager about the possibility of you leaving and give a timeframe. 2 week notices are a formality. It takes a lot longer to hire and replace and you don't want to accidentally burn a bridge. Just an fyi for some of yall.

Yea but my apartment lease ends in a week and I really don't want to sign another and then have to find a way to break it lol

I just spoke to a very nice man in admissions who repeatedly apologized but again, could not tell any date that we would hear by. He said that it is totally out of Admissions' hands. He said are literally begging the committee for decisions because they realize they people have to deal with issues such as housing etc. I am no longer expecting much here.
thats the same response I got.

Yea but my apartment lease ends in a week and I really don't want to sign another and then have to find a way to break it lol
My lease ends on the 30th. I'm just moving back to mom's hopefully only for 3 weeks and then down to Nashville if I get into the program

Reactions: 1 users
Good advice get recommendations before you leave as well.

Good advice get recommendations before you leave as well.
Yup always secure those. Or at least get their contact info. I always asked before I leave a job and I'm friends on FB with the docs I used to work with so I can always contact them.

And just as a previous manager, a good manager wants you to move on up in the world and will help accommodate you, we just like a very early heads up to prepare. Oh and if you're great at what you do offer to help train the person taking your spot. Makes life easier and boosts up any recommendation they may give

This is stressful. So much to figure out in so little time.

Go month to month if that is an option. (Should be I think it's required by law in most states)

if its out of admissions' hands, whose hands is it in?
and begging tho?? whew chillay

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea the month to month is almost a $500 increase. Now Meharry is starting to play with my pockets lol
I'm in the same situation. GOD will work everything out. Just figure out what you gotta do to handle biz/pay rent.

Yea the month to month is almost a $500 increase. Now Meharry is starting to play with my pockets lol

Same over here. Family lives overseas and I don’t know anyone. Program I’m in ended awhile ago and I gotta dip into savings now to pay rent/bills. These delays are killing my soul foreal. Really hurts

I wanted to go to a HBCU to finally be around people who are working towards the same goals and look like me. Even IF (big if right now) we get in, dealing with things like this every time they have to meet a deadline, we'll be stressed the entire time. School starts in less than two months and we don't even know if we're going. I can only assume financial aid and housing will be the same. They have literally been lying to us since they sent out the applications in March and had us scrambling to meet a deadline that they didn't even care about. Not a good look.

I was just about to post that I am calling today. I would email but I haven't gotten any response from and email.

Post the information you receive. I haven't been getting through the phone past 10 am.

They must be at lunch cause no one is answering the phone

IMG_0562.JPG

• Haha
I’m ready for this process to be done. If Meharry sends an acceptance I’m taking it

I slick want to write/call to tell them I’ll gladly take one of those open MD seats :rofl:.....like, “ help me help you, boo!” Lol. But, seriously I have dreamed of attending Meharry for years!

• Haha
I slick want to write/call to tell them I’ll gladly take one of those open MD seats :rofl:.....like, “ help me help you, boo!” Lol. But, seriously I have dreamed of attending Meharry for years!

Lmbo facts! I wonder how long the wait list is

Lmbo facts! I wonder how long the wait list is

Lol, I’m not sure. But, this is a great year to be on it because I’m pretty sure they will go pretty low on their waitlist this year...most will probably get pulled off.

Right! Like take me off the rejection list and accept me lol

• Haha
913548E1-2CF5-4B3A-95EB-DA476B892822.gif

When the acceptance comes in, then I realize what they put me through

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I wanted to go to a HBCU to finally be around people who are working towards the same goals and look like me. Even IF (big if right now) we get in, dealing with things like this every time they have to meet a deadline, we'll be stressed the entire time. School starts in less than two months and we don't even know if we're going. I can only assume financial aid and housing will be the same. They have literally been lying to us since they sent out the applications in March and had us scrambling to meet a deadline that they didn't even care about. Not a good look.
Given what the A building at HU put me through, I'm sure I can handle Meharry's financial aid. Lol My fellow Bison are hip

Honestly, moments like these are what makes the HBCU experience and journey so incredible. You struggle together, and go through some of the craziest situations that probably can only be experienced at HBCU’s; but, it’s in those moments ( like this current one that we are all in together) that lifelong bonds are formed. We struggle together, succeed together, and will one day look back and reminisce on our crazy journey together. I’m a 1x PWI alum and a 2x HBCU alum, and when you’re going through the experience it can be so frustrating, but in the end you appreciate it and laugh about it with the brothers and sisters you adopted through the process. Sorry to get all sentimental on here :lol:

Reactions: 9 users
Lol, I’m not sure. But, this is a great year to be on it because I’m pretty sure they will go pretty low on their waitlist this year...most will probably get pulled off.
There was over 7,000 application for just the med school. I don't think its low this year. I think people are dropping because they have been accepted to other school. Whereas these same applicants would have accepted had they received decisions earlier. I was wait listed a Rutgers in January. That waitlist is still moving. So I can only image what Meharry is going through.

Given what the A building at HU put me through, I'm sure I can handle Meharry's financial aid. Lol My fellow Bison are hip
I have never experienced anything this unprofessional and I'm terrified of what I can expect if I ever receive an acceptance from them.

Honestly, moments like these are what makes the HBCU experience and journey so incredible. You struggle together, and go through some of the craziest situations that probably can only be experienced at HBCU’s; but, it’s in those moments ( like this current one that we are all in together) that lifelong bonds are formed. We struggle together, succeed together, and will one day look back and reminisce on our crazy journey together. I’m a 1x PWI alum and a 2x HBCU alum, and when you’re going through the experience it can be so frustrating, but in the end you appreciate it and laugh about it with the brothers and sisters you adopted through the process. Sorry to get all sentimental on here :lol:
for sure

I have never experienced anything this unprofessional and I'm terrified of what I can expect if I ever receive an acceptance from them.

Buckle your seatbelt because per MHS alumni that I know and Med students.... your in for a BUMPY ride.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
It's super sad that that's the take away from HBCUs. They'll stress you out unnecessarily, but you experience it together, so it's ok?

Honestly... it seems all of us have had a bumpy ride to this point... we’ll be kick ass doctors though who can problem solve and roll with the punches adapt adjust and be flexible.

Honestly... it seems all of us have had a bumpy ride to this point... we’ll be kick ass doctors though who can problem solve and roll with the punches adapt adjust and be flexible.

Resiliency, adaptability, and perseverance!

NOTHING BUT FACTS. As an HBCU alum, you really learn how to not accept no for an answer. And they will make you work until you walk across the stage. Literally

It's super sad that that's the take away from HBCUs. They'll stress you out unnecessarily, but you experience it together, so it's ok?

Lol it’s pointless arguing with them.. they really don’t get what you and I see . Lowkey seems feels the burning sands movie. “Brother hood, scholarship.. etc”

It takes a special love to go hard for our HBCUs. Yeah they have issues but the mission and how they stick with it, and train those who are truly with it are what make them so valuable. All the other stuff that happens can be looked over (but not tolerated, but rather improved upon each year) for those facts alone. Although there are more reasons.

Honestly as an Hbcu alum I will tell you straight up if you can go to a public hbcu. FAMU, NCA&T etc because the private ones are full of it since they are regulated differently. Too bad there aren’t any public hbcu’s with a Med school. That’s why going to a private hbcu worries me because the foolery be at an all time high but what can u do? Just gotta find an aunty/uncle on campus with connects to see u thru man while u do your time lol..

• Sad
To be honest, every school will have their own set of issues and all experiences will be subjective. This situation is unfortunate for sure, but as a private and small institution they are probably overwhelmed right now. I am extremely stressed and anxious, checking my e-mail every day expecting some type of correspondence. But, honestly we need them...not the other way around, so all we can do is be patient or just attend elsewhere....I’m choosing to just be patient and to keep praying for the best.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
To be honest, every school will have their own set of issues and all experiences will be subjective. This situation is unfortunate for sure, but as a private and small institution they are probably overwhelmed right now. I am extremely stressed and anxious, checking my e-mail every day expecting some type of correspondence. But, honestly we need them...not the other way around, so all we can do is be patient or just attend elsewhere....I’m choosing to just be patient and to keep praying for the best.

After all the delays, the least they could have done was email us instead of us having to contact them!

After all the delays, the least they could have done was email us instead of us having to contact them!
I'm pretty sure the next time they want to contact us is when we will know if we are in or not. Lol

So I called and basically they said that they’re waiting for adcom to send the decisions. He didn’t give me a timeframe of when they will get them either even though I specifically asked so I’m not counting on them going out by the end of the week.

Lol it’s pointless arguing with them.. they really don’t get what you and I see . Lowkey seems feels the burning sands movie. “Brother hood, scholarship.. etc”

It’s not an argument. Some of us are choosing not to complain about things we can’t control. Y’all stressing y’all self and complaining when it’s not gona change anything. If it’s that much of a turnoff then don’t go to the school cause no one is making you.

• Love
  • Haha

They did say we wouldn’t receive any communication unless it’s the final email so at least they stuck with their word on that lmbo :(

• Haha
So I called and basically they said that they’re waiting for adcom to send the decisions. He didn’t give me a timeframe of when they will get them either even though I specifically asked so I’m not counting on them going out by the end of the week.

Lol, I said at the beginning of this thread that I know people who were accepted one week into the program for the 2018 cycle. If they get back to us by the end of the week I would be impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.