Meharry Medical College Master of Health Science 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you by chance know the soonest they send acceptances? I applied last week.
Unless things change, it'll be around the time I received my acceptance. They send acceptances in wave and I was a part of that first wave

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!!
  • I applied March 22nd and received my acceptance April 29th. First day of class was August 2nd (orientation was last week of July)
  • All of the classes are online at this time
  • In the program you must make atleast a 3.5 cGPA and a 503 MCAT score to matriculate to the medical school.
  • I don't know if most students had a research background...but I honestly don't think that's a requirement tbh
Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

One more question:

With the classes being virtual, do you have any classmates who opted not to move to Nashville during the program? Is it optimal for a student to be on campus to get their MHS?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

One more question:

With the classes being virtual, do you have any classmates who opted not to move to Nashville during the program? Is it optimal for a student to be on campus to get their MHS?
Hahaha no problem!!

Yess a lot of my classmates decided to stay home actually. I've done both (lived in Nashville for fall semester and currently away for spring) and I'm doing just fine. You don't have to move to Nashville to perform well in the program. All you need is grit!

Reactions: 1 users
Hahaha no problem!!

Yess a lot of my classmates decided to stay home actually. I've done both (lived in Nashville for fall semester and currently away for spring) and I'm doing just fine. You don't have to move to Nashville to perform well in the program. All you need is grit!
Thank you for that. Do you anticipate this program staying virtual for fall 2022? And how has MHS been thus far for you?

And those really were the last two questions. I truly appreciate your time and the information you have provided!

Is the personal statement different from the statement of purpose? Do we submit the same essay? The prompts are pretty similar so I wasn't sure if this was an overlook or intentional that we write two different statements.
For clarification here are the prompts--
Statement of Purpose: "In the space provided write a detailed and carefully edited statement indicating your reasons for wishing to undertake graduate study and your plans for a professional career. Describe your background and the strengths and weaknesses of your preparation for graduate study, and any previous research activity. If you are presently in a graduate program at another university, explain why you plan to change."
Personal Statement: "How have your experiences contributed to your decision to pursue a career in healthcare?"

umm now I have them next to each other I can see the difference lol, but just out of curiosity did you guys write two different statements?

To be completely honest, I for sure utilized the same personal statement that I had when I applied for their MD program for their MHS program. If your experience has changed significantly since applying to their MD, then yeah you can go ahead and write a different statement. But for me, not much changed, so I didn't bother doing extra work.

Thank you for that. Do you anticipate this program staying virtual for fall 2022? And how has MHS been thus far for you?

And those really were the last two questions. I truly appreciate your time and the information you have provided!
Ask as many questions as you want! I don't mind lol

And if you go back to the 18th post, you'll see my response to "how has the MHS been thus far"! And I don't know if the program will stay virtual for Fall...I want to say "yes" but I think it'll depend on COVID and such

Is the personal statement different from the statement of purpose? Do we submit the same essay? The prompts are pretty similar so I wasn't sure if this was an overlook or intentional that we write two different statements.
For clarification here are the prompts--
Statement of Purpose: "In the space provided write a detailed and carefully edited statement indicating your reasons for wishing to undertake graduate study and your plans for a professional career. Describe your background and the strengths and weaknesses of your preparation for graduate study, and any previous research activity. If you are presently in a graduate program at another university, explain why you plan to change."
Personal Statement: "How have your experiences contributed to your decision to pursue a career in healthcare?"

umm now I have them next to each other I can see the difference lol, but just out of curiosity did you guys write two different statements?
I wrote two different ones. I used an essay from one of my secondary applications I had already wrote. I just tweaked it a little lol.

Thank you! I'll go ahead and resend the email. :)

Do you know if it's okay to describe your background and for you to talk about your experiences from undergrad till now? So to discuss where you're from/what you've accomplished and how that's influenced your grad journey? Or do you mean I have to talk specifically about how growing up in a certain town and my experiences there and not necessarily where I went to school led me to my grad journey?

Also, does it have to be 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses and in terms of weakness if it includes a low MCAT, is that okay to mention and just talk about what you've learned, how it's improved, etc? Or would that only hurt the app?

Sorry for all the questions lol. Thanks again!!

For the first paragraph, both approaches would suffice. What I did was to talk about how my experiences growing up influenced how I overcame certain challenges that I encountered in undergrad and beyond.

For the second part, Sorry if I confused things more for you. But I meant, to list out 3 weaknesses/strengths and pick 1 from the weak category and 1 from the strength category that you believe would/can tie with your experiences/background that you wrote in the beginning portion of your essay. You want to make sure there is a solid and clear theme throughout the statement. The list out 3 would help you brainstorm some ideas and avoid a writer's block mindset. Also, Yes to the writing about the low MCAT, but spin it in a way that sounds good in the ears of adcom.

Your example: Well one of my weaknesses is time management. How did it impact you; lead to a low MCAT score. How did you improve/what did you learn? blah blah blah [your response].

You can even tie in strength of yours in this example; Perseverance. Then continue with the same setup as mentioned above.

Btw dont feel like you are bothering me w/ the questions :)

For the first paragraph, both approaches would suffice. What I did was to talk about how my experiences growing up influenced how I overcame certain challenges that I encountered in undergrad and beyond.

For the second part, Sorry if I confused things more for you. But I meant, to list out 3 weaknesses/strengths and pick 1 from the weak category and 1 from the strength category that you believe would/can tie with your experiences/background that you wrote in the beginning portion of your essay. You want to make sure there is a solid and clear theme throughout the statement. The list out 3 would help you brainstorm some ideas and avoid a writer's block mindset. Also, Yes to the writing about the low MCAT, but spin it in a way that sounds good in the ears of adcom.

Your example: Well one of my weaknesses is time management. How did it impact you; lead to a low MCAT score. How did you improve/what did you learn? blah blah blah [your response].

You can even tie in strength of yours in this example; Perseverance. Then continue with the same setup as mentioned above.

Btw dont feel like you are bothering me w/ the questions :)
Thank you so much! This helped a ton! Goodluck :)!!

Hey guys! I am a current MHS student (pre-dent). Feel free to message me if you have any questions ☺️

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I am also a current MHS student (pre-med), I am available for questions as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am also a current MHS student (pre-med), I am available for questions as well.
How many students actually matriculate into the medical school after completing the program?

How many students actually matriculate into the medical school after completing the program?
I forgot what the actual # was for the last class but theoretically if everyone gets a good MCAT score and maintains the GPA everyone in the program should matriculate, but you have to factor in that some people may go to other schools also.

I forgot what the actual # was for the last class but theoretically if everyone gets a good MCAT score and maintains the GPA everyone in the program should matriculate, but you have to factor in that some people may go to other schools also.
Gotcha, makes sense, thanks!

Do you feel that the program has made you more prepared for medical school?

Gotcha, makes sense, thanks!

Do you feel that the program has made you more prepared for medical school?
Yes, our fall semester helped with MCAT prep and I feel this spring semester is helping with how the first year of medical school will be, so it definitely has prepared me.

Yes, our fall semester helped with MCAT prep and I feel this spring semester is helping with how the first year of medical school will be, so it definitely has prepared me.
Hi there!

Is it difficult to make connections with classmates and faculty outside of the virtual classroom? Are there any in-person activities which encourage such interactions? And if there are any which take place, would a student be at a disadvantage for not moving to Nashville to be present for them?

Hi there!

Is it difficult to make connections with classmates and faculty outside of the virtual classroom? Are there any in-person activities which encourage such interactions? And if there are any which take place, would a student be at a disadvantage for not moving to Nashville to be present for them?
Hi!! So one of the MHS E-board's responsibilities is to create in-person and virtual events for those that moved to Nashville or decided to stay home, respectively. We normally plan on having one in-person and virtual events every month to encourage interactions. I personally don't think it's hard to form connections with classmates and faculty. Now, of course, you have to put yourself out there to form these connections (attend events, reach out to ppl via GroupMe, etc). This is how you can form friendship and/or study buddies.

With faculty, their doors are usually open. Teachers, admin, etc wants you to see them!! If you're not in Nashville, meet them via Zoom! Hahaha they loveee to interact with their students

Reactions: 4 users
Hi!! So one of the MHS E-board's responsibilities is to create in-person and virtual events for those that moved to Nashville or decided to stay home, respectively. We normally plan on having one in-person and virtual events every month to encourage interactions. I personally don't think it's hard to form connections with classmates and faculty. Now, of course, you have to put yourself out there to form these connections (attend events, reach out to ppl via GroupMe, etc). This is how you can form friendship and/or study buddies.

With faculty, their doors are usually open. Teachers, admin, etc wants you to see them!! If you're not in Nashville, meet them via Zoom! Hahaha they loveee to interact with their students
Thank you so much for that information!

In terms of MCAT prep:

Have you found that the prep course time provided in the winter is enough to make one successful in getting a strong MCAT score?

Also, do any students work during this program? Or is that not recommended due to the heavy courseload?

Thank you so much for that information!

In terms of MCAT prep:

Have you found that the prep course time provided in the winter is enough to make one successful in getting a strong MCAT score?
Most definitely! Every year many MHS-premed students are able to significantly improve their MCAT score. This program really gives you the tools to succeed in the MCAT (especially in the B/B section). Because of that, I was able to focus more on the other sections during the winter break

Thank you! That is great to know.

Also, do any students work during this program? Or is that not recommended due to the heavy courseload?

I only know of one student that works but ya it’s not recommended cause of the course load

Rainblux1 hit it right on the money with everything! But also as Rainbluex1 said, the courseload itself is a lot, rigorous and the schedule is not necessarily a set one every week. Next Monday you may have class from 8-12, but the following Monday it's 8-5 because you have reviews and makeup classes or something. I only knew one person working and they had to quit to fully focus on this semester. It's a judgment call, but if you take the financial aid, I say just ride with it.

No need to apologize! I'm happy to help :)

Our fall classes are Physiology, Biochemistry, Cell & Molecular Biology, and Neuroscience
Our spring classes will be Pharmacology, Pathology, Microbiology, and Gross Anatomy
Classes are from 8am to 3pm (on most days). Some days it extends to 5pm and some days it ends at 12pm

We completed our fall classes in mid-November then had from then till mid-January to study for and take the MCAT/DAT.

Honestly...I love the program!! The teachers are sooo supportive and they actually care about your well-being/mental health. They truly want you to succeed in the program and transition into Meharry's medical/dental program. The atmosphere here is very family-like. The admins, students, teachers, etc all support each other and are always happy to help.

In terms of difficulties... it's not a walk in the park but it's VERY doable. A lot of the materials learned are review from undergraduate so they should come back to you quickly. As you study it's vital you learn the materials rather than memorizing because it'll help you soo much on the B/B section of the MCAT (if you have to retake). This program will definitely help you build your work ethic looll
Can I ask if tuition is the same for Tennessee and out of state residents?

For those who applied via PostBacCAS, how did you send your official MCAT score from AAMC? I can't find Meharry on the institution list

I am not sure if this has been asked yet, but is there an interview for this program?

Hi does anyone know if we can submit DAT scores after the deadline? Was planning on taking it this summer but am considering taking it early if need be. I’ve emailed admissions but no response

Hi, I am in the current medical school application cycle and got a random email saying thanks for applying to MHS for meharry medical college. I never applied.
I did apply to the medical school.

Hi, I am in the current medical school application cycle and got a random email saying thanks for applying to MHS for meharry medical college. I never applied.

Sometimes applicants are offered MHS to make them a stronger applicant for med school. So maybe it’s that email? I would reach out just in case. Especially if you haven’t heard from them about an acceptance into the med school.

Hello everyone, new here. does Meharry have any masters programs where you complete their masters program and matriculate into their medical school? I saw some schools do that, just was wondering if this one is also doing it

MHS would be that program. There’s not a guaranteed seat. But a guaranteed interview if you meet the GPA AND MCAT/DAT requirements. statistically, those who meet the requirements gets in.

I got that email too. I started my MHS application, but I haven't submitted yet, I think the email was an automatic thing because I've received it before.

I got that email too. I started my MHS application, but I haven't submitted yet, I think the email was an automatic thing because I've received it before.
maybe. I also heard things about how if someone isn't accepted to Meharry Medical School, they get recommended to the MHS program, so I was wondering if that was it,

maybe. I also heard things about how if someone isn't accepted to Meharry Medical School, they get recommended to the MHS program, so I was wondering if that was it,
This is correct, I applied for Meharry last cycle and was not accepted but given priority recommendation to the MHS program and am in it now. It is to make you a stronger applicant if you meet the MCAT/DAT and GPA threshold

This is correct, I applied for Meharry last cycle and was not accepted but given priority recommendation to the MHS program and am in it now. It is to make you a stronger applicant if you meet the MCAT/DAT and GPA threshold
so this cycle, did you get an interview to Meharry? I heard its guarantee as long as you meet certain requirements? what are those requirements?

I received the same email Friday afternoon. I applied to the medical school and I'm currently in the prcoess of doing the MHS application, well I'm just doing my statement before I turn it in today lol.

so this cycle, did you get an interview to Meharry? I heard its guarantee as long as you meet certain requirements? what are those requirements?
oh not yet, i think we interview after the program is over and they get our spring grades, but I'll get one the requirements are pretty much a 3.5 gpa and a 503 on the MCAT, I'm not sure what the dental school score requirement is but somewhere close to the median i guess

wanted to let you guys know to make sure you allocate in time for PostBACCas to verify your application when you submit. I didn't know they did this till after I submitted. It took my application about a day but they said it can take up to 2 weeks during high volume times. Just thought I would put that out there

oh not yet, i think we interview after the program is over and they get our spring grades, but I'll get one the requirements are pretty much a 3.5 gpa and a 503 on the MCAT, I'm not sure what the dental school score requirement is but somewhere close to the median i guess
I am new on sdn and on this thread, but I am a prospective applicant for next cycle. @ MDloading1, did you submit another AMCAS application for the MD class starting in Fall, 2022 when you started the MHS program? I just wanted to know if I need to submit AMCAS application while I am in the program to be considered for MD admission immediately after completing the MHS program and meeting the requirements for MD admission. Thanks.

I am new on sdn and on this thread, but I am a prospective applicant for next cycle. @ MDloading1, did you submit another AMCAS application for the MD class starting in Fall, 2022 when you started the MHS program? I just wanted to know if I need to submit AMCAS application while I am in the program to be considered for MD admission immediately after completing the MHS program and meeting the requirements for MD admission. Thanks.
Yes, you'll submit an application during the program to be interviewed and admitted. They will walk you through the processes during zoom meetings if y'all are still virtual or in class I presume if y'all are in person.

For the people that received an email thanking them for submitting an application and didn't submit one yet through PostbacCAS, did you still submit it online or what lol I emailed admissions and someone in the medical school but no one has responded back to me yet.

For the people that received an email thanking them for submitting an application and didn't submit one yet through PostbacCAS, did you still submit it online or what lol I emailed admissions and someone in the medical school but no one has responded back to me yet.
I didn’t do anything lol. No submissions at all. I also emailed and didn’t get any reply

I didn’t do anything lol. No submissions at all. I also emailed and didn’t get any reply
Soooo this is what someone in admissions and recruitment just told me:

"If you have completed your profile on Postbac CAS, or had any documents sent to a Postbac profile, that activity registers in our system as an "Incomplete application" hence the email you received. It does not matter if you haven't completed the actual application section or submitted the application fee.

That is the most common explanation for what has occurred.

Now, if you haven't done any of that let us know and we will investigate further.

Although you may have applied to Meharry during this admissions cycle for a program other than MHS, to be considered for MHS you will have to submit their application.

Hope that adds some clarity"

Submitted my application today! Good luck everyone!!