Mercer notification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meanderson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does Mercer notify applicants through regular mail or ceritified usps mail? And is the difference just that for ceritified mail the mailman just has to go to the door and get a signature? thanks....

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I think we are one of the few people to know anything about Mercer. They send it certified mail, and rejections and waitlists in regular mail. With certified mail, the postal carrier comes to your door and some one must sign for it. If you are not there, they leave a note in the box and you go pick it up later.

Hope this helps!

Anyone else out there waiting on Mercer? or want to know anything, just post!

ecranda

I am waiting for a mercer notification. If anyone sees anything or hears anything please post. I understand that they really wont get acceptance out until feb. But that is what they told my group.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you interview pmed99? I was under the impression that the adcomm would start meeting every Wednesday starting last wednesday and a few people would be pulled from the list each week until the class is full.

Ya, that is true. But, they said that even though they may accept someone on say the 14th of January, that it would be a couple of weeks to notify them. I may be wrong about this but they told our group (early Dec) that the earliest we could know would be Feb, even though we could be brought up in Jan.

Anyone else get this?

Pm'ed,

I'm still a little confused how mercer accepts people. Say I interviewed on 1/20 and my cumulative total for both interviews was a 42(I'm just making up a number). someone else interviewed the first week of january and scored a 41, would I automatically jump them on the list and be "brought up" before that person?

Also, do you think Mercer rejects/waitlists many people who are brought up with good interview scores? Or do most people with scores high enough to be selected get in when presented? I'm just wondering how much the two interview scores count as opposed to the other votes on the committee......

Hi guys. I was an ED applicant and got in this time around. I also applied last year (ED), but was deferred to the regular applicant pool, waitlisted, and didn't get in.
I also got the impression last year that they would start admitting people in Jan or Feb, but I don't think they sent ANY letters until March 15. Not sure if it's the same way this year, but don't worry too much if you don't hear anything until then. They send waitlist letters around the same time.
just speculating, but I don't think the date of your interview is that significant. I think the adcom members discuss all the candidates and then score individually but the impression of your adcom interviewer weighs more heavily on those individual scores because they are there to explain their impression of you. Then the scores are totalled. So, I think they wait until most or all interviews are over before giving the final thumbs-up on everyone. That's just my impression of how it works though.

Hope I was able to answer some questions. It's exciting to hear from other possible future mercer students:)

It is so tough to tell what goes on behind the closed doors. I also interviewed at Mercer last year too. I was waitlisted sometime in April or sometime around there.

I interviewed last year in November. We were the first group to be interviewed regular decision, yet I did not find out for 8 months.

So, maybe some of this can clear it up for you. I wish I fully understood the process myself.

For the two of you that interviewed last year, what kind off stats do you have? I am just trying to get some kind of idea on what they look for. It seems so out of left field.

Also, did either of you go and talk to the admissions about why you did not get in last year? What did they say, or what did you think was the problem? What did you change to have a better chance this year?

I have heard few things about what they look for in applicants. Oh well, I am convinced they put all our names in hats in March and pull out the class of 2008. It seems to have such a random pattern.

MUSM2008- I p'med you.

and I wrote you back:)

I think an area that admissions really emphasizes, maybe more than any other, is mission compliance. mission compliance. mission compliance. mission compliance.
I think they will overlook sub-par stats if the candidate is really likely to comply with their mission.
Volunteer work with underserved populations will help prove your commitment to them, and I think that's really what helped me the 2nd time around.

I contacted mercer and this is what I found out. It might help answer some of our questions:

"I can only repeat what I said that day. Yes, the admissions committee meets every Wednesday and they will indicate how far down on the ranking list I am to send letters of acceptance to the following day. They will continue to meet until the middle of March to fill the class and meet the following week to decide how far down on the ranking list to send out alternate letters. I am afraid that is as much as I can tell you."

So yeah, it looks like they are in the process of sending out letters now. This letter seems to indicate that on thursday the letters are mailed.

So if we do not hear anything soon after we interview, then we are doomed to wait-list. Is this how I am understanding this? It would seem that they would wait and then rank everyone, and then take the 40 spots at once. But this is not how they are doing it, right? This is to confusing. We will hear by mid March where we stand for sure. So, for now I am going to shoot for March and be suprised if anything comes in the mean time.

what is this score thing? Is it just the interview score, or is it other things to? Oh well, I am stuck in confusion. I guess the basic thing is that I do not care how they do it as long as in the end I have a sweet acceptance letter.

I had a dream last night I got one. It was cruel, because I was so excited and then when I woke up I realized it was a dream. Not cool.

I'm not sure that's what it neccessarily means. The people I talked to during the interview who were first and second year students seemed to get in about 3 weeks after interviewing, with a few getting in 2 weeks after, and a few getting in off the waitlist. I think it would be possible to fall just a point or two short for 4-5 weeks, and then the next week get in if 3 people were accepted the previous week and only one person interviewing that week had a high score. Confusing and I'm not sure I totally understand it, but I do think they are sending out 4 or so more acceptances this thursday andf every thursday for the next 8 weeks or so. So maybe on friday or saturday we will ahve some good news!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for giving us the info on the response you received. I have come to believe that understanding your state's medical School admissions procedure should be a class. Cause this is tough to figure out.

Hopefully this upcoming month will bring joy to us all.

I think I understand better, Thanks. Good luck to all! We gotta be the top three, we are SDNers!

I am in! I got a call today from my adcom member. She said they made the decision last night (on my b-day) and that my letter will be sent tomorrow. I am so excited! I started crying and saying Thank you over and over! I am sure she thought I was crazy!
So, you guys are next! They should hurry up and accept you all, so we can be one big MUSM family!

Yeah,
ecranda

They call you before they send letters? Boy, this isn't boding well for me then. I interviewed last Tuesday(3/2) and Kay said they will send something out before friday. But I have yet to receive anything. This is nerve wracking.
+pissed+

I don't think they always call. They didn't call me. It probably depends on your interviewer.
hang in there!

I have posted this b/f, but I interviewed on Dec 4th and I've yet to hear anything. Doesn't sound too good for me either. I was told a while back that acceptances would be "sent" out by the 15th and waitlist/rejections would follow. Who Knows??,,,,,+pity+

Where are you all from? Any Mercer Ugrads here?

Georgia Tech. Any other techies?

I'm from Emory. Not a techie, that is to tough!

ecranda
i tried to pm you (albeit way after you msged me; i don't get on here often), but your mailbox was full. at any rate, congratulations. you will do just fine. to the rest of you who may be waiting, good luck.

ok..for anyone that is living in macon right now or who has started the search for housing..................i could use any advice that you might have.
living alone vs. trying to find roommate
which areas of macon are better than others
house vs. apartment (i don't really want to live in a big paper cutter apartment complex)

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

amy

Hi Amy, I live in Macon now. Kay from admissions has a list of available housing. Most places are near downtown or close to it. I just moved downtown to be closer to the school and I LOVE it! THere are quite a few old houses that have been turned into apartments, so I think quite a few med students live in those. A lot of the others live in either houses with families or in the apartment complexes. North Macon is nicer, but more expensive if you don't want to live in an apartment. The Vineville/Ingleside/and downtown areas are historic and close to the school. You have to be careful though, because some areas are nice and some areas are sketchy.
As far as having a roommate, I'm not sure. I think Kay might keep a list of others who are looking for roommates as well. The cost of living here isn't very high.
If you're looking for anything specific, or have any other questions, let me know!

I've not recieved anything from mercer, (I'm pretty sure I've missed this application cycle). This is my 1st choice school due to it's location. If you've been accepted, could you post your MCAT's and GPA's.

thanks, I'm trying to figure out what was lacking in my application (my stats are a little above average for mercer???)

Amatt

Sorry to hear that. Mercer was my 1st choice 2, especially after interviewing with them and looking about the place.

Kay said that acecptance letters will be postmarked by march 15, so if you haven't received anything yet(as is my case 2) then chances are its not good news. Well actualyl there is a glimmer of hope. THey are still making out the waitlist letters, and there is large movement on the waitlist, so if you get waitlisted, then there is still a good chance that youll get that fateful call :)

im banking on this as well.

cheers,
captjack

It has taken me several tries to finally get accepted. I'm convinced that grades/mcat scores are not as big of a factor as they are at most schools. My grades and mcat were a bit above average...but not by much. when i found out that i wasn't accepted the first time, I met with Dr. Eveland to find out why. he said that i probably did not convince the committee that i truly wanted to work in an underserved area of georgia....because i live in atlanta. They seem to prefer students to come from smaller towns. He encouraged me to shadow a doctor in a small town...i took his advice and also started working at emory and gained lots of clinical experience.. hang in there. if you don't get in this year, DO NOT give up. It took me some time but finally they let me in. they probably felt sorry for me..who knows??

feel free to ask me any other questions.

has anyone heard anything lately? i did not receive a phone call, so i am hoping for a waitlist letter. however, i haven't gotten that nor a reject ... just curious to see if anyone has got anything?!

medboy, I called kay and gave up my spot today, so I think now is the time when mercer is starting to contact people and making sure those are open spots. I hope you get mine or someone else's!!!!

Not everyone gets a personal phone call, but I do think that it says something about some of the adcom members here at Mercer who would do something so personal. For the most part faculty and the administrative folks are pretty down to earth that way which I like. I was waitlisted almost exactly a year ago, then received my certified letter one week later. Of course most of our class found out much earlier, but to those still waiting, don't give up.

I personally think that your adcom member who interviewed you can have a big impact with the rest of the committee. I stay in touch with mine from my interview, and was told that the members definitely have their "favorites". So for those who are going to interview next year remember that this is your chance to shine.

I also heard that this next year's class had quite a few positions taken by early decision....more so than in previous years...another thing to think about if you are applying for the first time or will be reapplying.

v-jones MUSM Class of 2007

I agree with VelocityJones (who just happens to be my fellow classmate)...The interview is extremely important at Mercer because they are willing to take a chance on students despite sub average MCAT scores or grades. There are several people in our class that got in off the waitlist so there is definately hope. The waitlist should be done by now and is probably being sent to you as you read if you made the waitlist. I would say keep the hope alive, and if not, apply again next year because Mercer looks favorably to re-applicants.

As far as those who are coming to Mercer, Congratulations! You will love Mercer. For those who are curious about living arrangements, alot of the students either live downtown in the renovated apartments/lofts or up in north macon in the apartment complexes or houses. Rent is realively cheap, especially compared to Atlanta. 1 bdrm aprtmts run about 600-700, 2 bdrms are a little more. If you are looking for a home, there are lots of older homes that run 120K and lower. As far as new homes, there are still a few around macon, but they will be more expensive.

Anyway, please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. look foward to seeing some of you in the fall.

nkow
MUSM 2007

I was put on an alternate list. I got the letter today. Guess it's better than a rejection, although it's probably just prolonging the inevitable. Good luck, if your still trying to get in.

anyone else heard anything yet? i was under the assumption we'd hear something (alternate, reject) by april 1st...