MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Talked to a neurosurgeon today and he shared how he went to Germany and there at a neurosurgery center - a large building of 4 floors specializing in neurosurgery etc and he only saw one health care administrator. He said that he bumps into them all over the place in the hospitals here. He says the mushrooming of health care administration in the US has been because of all the federal regulations imposed in the medical field. Just thought I'd share.

Members don't see this ad.

Talked to a neurosurgeon today and he shared how he went to Germany and there at a neurosurgery center - a large building of 4 floors specializing in neurosurgery etc and he only saw one health care administrator. He said that he bumps into them all over the place in the hospitals here. He says the mushrooming of health care administration in the US has been because of all the federal regulations imposed in the medical field. Just thought I'd share.

I'd love to learn more about this and look into it. I can definitely see that as being one of the reasons but perhaps there's more to it than just that. Or that neuro center was an exception. Just curious if it's not causation vs correlation type of thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

I am looking for some expert advice and I'm not sure if anyone could help me. I have been accepted to the MHA program at USC (with scholarship) and JHU. I am just looking for some opinions on which you think is better? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
We have 3 days left before we have to commit to UW. Has anyone gotten financial aid info?

We have 3 days left before we have to commit to UW. Has anyone gotten financial aid info?
I emailed the graduate program coordinator about when I might expect financial aid info/about some of the scholarships on their website and got this:
2. You are correct that the MHA program scholarships on that page are open to enrolled students. You would have the opportunity to apply for those next year – the deadline has typically been in December with decisions and disbursement in the Winter Quarter.
3. We are a self-sustaining, fee-based program with limited TA opportunities for current students. Once you’ve accepted our offer and have a UW NetID, you will have access to various UW resources including student employment opportunities.
4. You will need to check with the Office of Student Financial Aid directly about their timelines. They can be reached at [email protected] or 206-543-6101. Be sure to indicate that you would be a student in a fee-based program.

I then emailed the office of student financial aid and got this:
Hello,

Unfortunately, we do not have an internal date as to when awards will be available yet. However as a graduate student the primary funding mechanism is loans. Graduate students can receive up to their entire cost of attendance in loan funds.

Because of these communications I'm actually leaning towards declining UW now. From my overall experience, I feel like they've been unnecessarily murky with their communications compared to how open/transparent other programs have been and it was never my top school anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the same spot as you and need to make a detailed pro con list. I was pretty set on VCU (I flew from South Korea to interview with them) and the rejection has me readjusting. I also would choose UAB in a heartbeat but they have not confirmed a Skype interview date with me nearly 2 months after offering it to me...and won't respond to emails or calls.

I love the guarantee of a residency with JHU, but the price tag is nearly double UNC (for in state) so I'm trying to see if that's justifiable somehow. GWU could be in the running due to location and their residency placement locations. I just wish I could get someone in hospital administration to give some perspective on UNC vs JHU vs GWU and the industry impression of these schools.
Did you ever end up getting any impressions from industry on these schools?

Can anyone give me advice? I’m trying to choose between UWash and UMinn. I had my interview with UMinn two weeks ago, and they literally told me that they’ll get back to me on March 15th with a decision. However, I have to decide by March 14th if I want to go to UWash or not. I want to wait until I get Minnesota’s decision, but I don’t think UWash will wait a day. I also don’t think Minnesota will give me the decision earlier, so I really don’t know what to do. I’ve been stressed just thinking about it!

Can anyone give me advice? I’m trying to choose between UWash and UMinn. I had my interview with UMinn two weeks ago, and they literally told me that they’ll get back to me on March 15th with a decision. However, I have to decide by March 14th if I want to go to UWash or not. I want to wait until I get Minnesota’s decision, but I don’t think UWash will wait a day. I also don’t think Minnesota will give me the decision earlier, so I really don’t know what to do. I’ve been stressed just thinking about it!
A lot of the programs seem very good. Very tough to make a decision. Have you tried to call and ask for an extension or call Minnesota and ask if a decision has been made without saying anything else?

How much of a difference do you think it makes in completing an MHA on the west coast vs midwest vs east coast? I know the schools tend to network with the health care in their area but they also boast that people go all over.

I saw a ranking from a patient's point of view that showed Hawaii as the top state for health care with Washington coming in second. Makes me think they have more efficient systems to learn from or is my thinking flawed?

Hello!

I am looking for some expert advice and I'm not sure if anyone could help me. I have been accepted to the MHA program at USC (with scholarship) and JHU. I am just looking for some opinions on which you think is better? Thanks!
To me, it depends on what connections you want to build. If you plan to network within California, then USC should really help you with that. Its network within Southern and Northern California is great.

I got a small scholarship from them about week after my interview along with my acceptance. I got accepeted to UW, UMinn, Cornell, OSu and Tulane. With my other choices I'm not sure if UW is the one I want to go to.

Hey guys! Trying to decide between an MHA or MD...anyone else here interested in both? I received a 50% scholarship at UMich for MHA so I feel silly to turn that down but I also have received med school admission at my state school...any advice?
Hey! When did you receive your UMich scholarship?

Reactions: 2 users

sounds stressful. i would call uwash and talk to them directly and explain your situation. i’ve heard students getting extensions on decision deadlines before so its worth a try. especially because you would only need 2 extra days.

i dont know if you could get an early decision from uminn because i think they’re admissions committee meet on thursdays and send out decisions the same day ://

good luck!

sounds stressful. i would call uwash and talk to them directly and explain your situation. i’ve heard students getting extensions on decision deadlines before so its worth a try. especially because you would only need 2 extra days.

i dont know if you could get an early decision from uminn because i think they’re admissions committee meet on thursdays and send out decisions the same day ://

good luck!
Oh geez by one day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am between Umich, Columbia and USC right now. I want to get into consulting after I graduate. Does anyone have any insights on what school might have the best resources for that?

good luck!
Already handled it. Emailed UWash to extend deadline. Thanks!

Hey guys! Trying to decide between an MHA or MD...anyone else here interested in both? I received a 50% scholarship at UMich for MHA so I feel silly to turn that down but I also have received med school admission at my state school...any advice?
if it were me, I'd take the med school admission now, if you still want an MHA later it'll probably be easier to get into with an MD & have fewer requirements to potentially repeat/upkeep when you apply than med school (mcat/shadowing/research/etc.). plus many med schools offer md/mba or md/mph programs so you could probably take some of those courses as electives and transfer the credits to an MHA program to save some $$ in the long run

Hi,

I was wondering what input people had on a MHA degree vs. MS in health systems management, like Rush has? Rush's program looks great, but I'm not sure what employers will think, if they are solely looking for healthcare administrators.
Also, if someone could let me know how Rush's interview process went, that'd be great!

Hi guys, I've recently gotten waitlisted at Columbia. Any idea of how likely it is to get an acceptance or hear back before April 15?

Hi guys, I've recently gotten waitlisted at Columbia. Any idea of how likely it is to get an acceptance or hear back before April 15?

I'm not sure where you are on the waitlist, but it appears as if there are a few people on this thread that are down to 3 schools and Columbia is one of them. I would say there's a pretty good chance.

For those of you wondering on UMich Scholarships... I emailed Charlita from HMP on Tuesday regarding whether or not merit scholarships had been sent out or not. She copied a member of the admissions committee on it, but I have still not heard back. So I honestly have no idea haha.... Wish they would just let us know if they were done or not! If anyone else got a merit scholarship, pleeeease let me know so I can stop getting my hopes up...

Last edited:
Is anyone considering Georgetown? Or attending the Admitted Students Day on Monday? I would really appreciate your thoughts as I am unable to attend.

For those of you wondering on UMich Scholarships... I emailed Charlita from HMP on Tuesday regarding whether or not merit scholarships had been sent out or not. She copied a member of the admissions committee on it, but I have still not heard back. So I honestly have no idea haha.... Wish they would just let us know if they were done or not! If anyone else got a merit scholarship, pleeeease let me know so I can stop getting my hopes up...

You and I are in the same boat, but at least you got a response. I emailed AND called Charlita and she has yet to get back to me. I talked to a lot of alumni and current students and they all received merit scholarships at different points in time. I know this isn’t too helpful, but I think there’s still hope. Not sure if there’s any truth to it, but I’m just going to make an educated guess and say that we are in the last wave/waves of student to get merit aid... we will probably only get something if another student rejects UM’s offer.. let’s just hope it’s before April 15.

Did you at least get your financial aid?

You and I are in the same boat, but at least you got a response. I emailed AND called Charlita and she has yet to get back to me. I talked to a lot of alumni and current students and they all received merit scholarships at different points in time. I know this isn’t too helpful, but I think there’s still hope. Not sure if there’s any truth to it, but I’m just going to make an educated guess and say that we are in the last wave/waves of student to get merit aid... we will probably only get something if another student rejects UM’s offer.. let’s just hope it’s before April 15.

Chiming in as someone also in the same boat...I've already received my financial aid, but still waiting on any merit aid. Though, they wouldn't tell us if we -didn't- get merit aid I think, so I'm giving them until 4/10 and then making my choice if I haven't heard from them by then.

I did get my financial aid email. A little disappointed to say the least. Looking towards applying for a Grad PLUS loan in April as I am leaning towards attending UMich.

I am between Umich, Columbia and USC right now. I want to get into consulting after I graduate. Does anyone have any insights on what school might have the best resources for that?

I also want to get into consulting and am in the same position but deciding between Michigan, Columbia and Berkeley (MPH). I believe Michigan's program has the best career outcomes for consulting but believe I'd get similar opportunities from Columbia/Berkeley and I'd rather go to school in New York City or the Bay Area. I'm having a hard time determining tangible benefits of one school vs. another and think it might all come down to my ability to job search/recruit, regardless of which school I go to. :shrug:

From a couple of friends in their current MHA program at Columbia, I'd say Columbia tends to have great connections/relationships with consulting firms allowing students who are interested in consulting to have a solid chance of obtaining a position within that field. If you take a look at their placement rates on their site as well I believe out of the 28 students that responded, 14 of them went into consulting firms. The rest were hospital administration.

From a couple of friends in their current MHA program at Columbia, I'd say Columbia tends to have great connections/relationships with consulting firms allowing students who are interested in consulting to have a solid chance of obtaining a position within that field. If you take a look at their placement rates on their site as well I believe out of the 28 students that responded, 14 of them went into consulting firms. The rest were hospital administration.
Do your friends have anything negative to say about the program?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread. I am flying to Xavier next week for an interview. The email said there will be two separate interviews. I was wondering if anyone else who interviewed there had any tips/advice?

Do your friends have anything negative to say about the program?

Unfortunately they're more acquaintances than friends so we didn't talk deeply into the specifics, but I assume there are. It is relatively a more new program so they may not be as strong network wise.

Hi, has anyone heard from UAB? I know "AbeWoodhull" did, has anyone else heard back from them?

Has anyone heard from OSU about Aid? And did anyone see that Cornell published their rates that will be effective July 1st, 2018? It takes 2-yr tuition to $71,472.

Last edited:

I'm sorry you weren't accepted yet, but I hope you hear back with an acceptance soon! This process is so painful--looking back, no wonder I was dreading starting it. I am waiting on Columbia myself. I interviewed but haven't heard back since. I would love to go there as I consider it an all-around great program, and I'm planning on going into consulting, for which they have good placements. Just gonna have to tough it out a bit longer, but I wanted to wish you the best of luck!

Has anyone heard from OSU about Aid? And did anyone see that Cornell published their rates that will be effective July 1st, 2018? It takes 2-yr tuition to $71,472.
Nope. They told me aid was going to go out at the beginning of March.....

I am unable to get an estimate of Columbia's tuition because their website has it per unit based? Does anyone know how much it is approximately without any scholarships or financial aids?

I am unable to get an estimate of Columbia's tuition because their website has it per unit based? Does anyone know how much it is approximately without any scholarships or financial aids?

$38,630 is the number given to me in my financial aid package.

Not sure if this is relevant but wanted to share the new rankings -
The old ranking is still up, so I think that the new ranking is geared more towards health policy and management rather than just health care management like the old rankings suggest?

Reactions: 2 users
The old ranking is still up, so I think that the new ranking is geared more towards health policy and management rather than just health care management like the old rankings suggest?
That being said, I think it's still worth paying attention to since a lot of schools combine both health policy and management in their MHA programs/departments (I am thinking particularly of Michigan)

That being said, I think it's still worth paying attention to since a lot of schools combine both health policy and management in their MHA programs/departments (I am thinking particularly of Michigan)
I think this has been up a while and it only has 15 schools listed.

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure if this is relevant but wanted to share the new rankings -

These rankings are for policy schools, not public health schools. For example, 'Ford' is Michigan's policy school and not related to its degree in healthcare management and policy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
When did you get your financial aid package? I got accepted on Feb. 16th, but nothing after that
I just got my financial aid on Friday. Someone in this thread or the MPH thread suggested making sure that they have your SSN. I emailed to check and turns out they did not! Might want to do that if you haven't already.

I just got my financial aid on Friday. Someone in this thread or the MPH thread suggested making sure that they have your SSN. I emailed to check and turns out they did not! Might want to do that if you haven't already.
Ah ok, thank you!
When were you admitted by the way?

What is your finanical aid package supposed to include?

Has anyone received financial aid from UNC-Chapel Hill yet? And did anyone apply to the GHMP sub-track at Michigan? If so, have you heard back yet?

That darn ranking. We can't seem to see past any list that says one is better than the other without actually looking at the criteria used for ranking. And then do we even ask ourselves if those ranking criteria are the ones that make sense and matter to us. There's a ranked list out there, I can dig it up if you want, that puts Xavier 2nd for MHA and do you see it in these rankings? How can it be that drastic? Here is an article on undergraduate ranking published by the Washington Post, back in 2013 but the message about ranking is interesting.