MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It says ranked in 2018, but why does it look a lot like the one ranked in 2015..?

It's the same list from 2018, they just changed the heading. Still says "Corrected 3/12/15"

Members don't see this ad.

What is your finanical aid package supposed to include?

In general?
Cost of tuition, fees and projected costs such as room and board, transportation etc. It will also show loans available to you via FAFSA, any need based aid and parental and student expected contributions.

Reactions: 1 user
Chiming in as someone also in the same boat...I've already received my financial aid, but still waiting on any merit aid. Though, they wouldn't tell us if we -didn't- get merit aid I think, so I'm giving them until 4/10 and then making my choice if I haven't heard from them by then.

Update: I did hear back from someone on the admissions board... And I believe you are correct. I was told that they are *still* in the process of making merit aid offers. I find it hard to believe that most have not gone out already. I bet they will just redistribute the funds from the individuals who reject to those who accept. So, you may hear by 4/10, you may not. :unsure:

Members don't see this ad :)
In general?
Cost of tuition, fees and projected costs such as room and board, transportation etc. It will also show loans available to you via FAFSA, any need based aid and parental and student expected contributions.
Thanks!

Is anyone considering Georgetown? Or attending the Admitted Students Day on Monday? I would really appreciate your thoughts as I am unable to attend.
I attended the admitted students day for Georgetown this past Monday, feel free to DM me!

Was anyone able to attend USC’s Dean’s Merit Event on 3/23? I wasn’t able to go so I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on the program!

Was anyone able to attend USC’s Dean’s Merit Event on 3/23? I wasn’t able to go so I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on the program!
I am in the same boat. I wasn't able to make to the Deans Merit Even or Admit day because I am currently based in India. Would love to hear to everyone's thoughts!

I was unable to attend admit days for UMich and Columbia University because I am currently based in India. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Hi, I got notice that Cornell(MHA) received my application on 10th March, but I haven't gotten any response from them at the moment.
I thought Cornell inform their applicants within 2weeks after received application. Do they not send e-mail to applicants if they reject?

I'm sorry you weren't accepted yet, but I hope you hear back with an acceptance soon! This process is so painful--looking back, no wonder I was dreading starting it. I am waiting on Columbia myself. I interviewed but haven't heard back since. I would love to go there as I consider it an all-around great program, and I'm planning on going into consulting, for which they have good placements. Just gonna have to tough it out a bit longer, but I wanted to wish you the best of luck!
Thank you! I think having someone in the same boat really helps! Columbia is definitely a top choice, but now that I've been to see some other schools, I'm comfortable with whatever answer they give me. Either way, best of luck to you too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I got notice that Cornell(MHA) received my application on 10th March, but I haven't gotten any response from them at the moment.
I thought Cornell inform their applicants within 2weeks after received application. Do they not send e-mail to applicants if they reject?

That deadline seems to be not in effect, so I would expect to hear something...relatively soon? I have been in contact with the graduate school liaison who said they are dealing with a lot of applications and would've been surprised if they were able to meet the two-week deadline. Also, I applied on 2/10 and haven't heard anything since. Actually, I was told I would be eligible for the round three deadline (2/9), even if I applied a day later, which I did, but that turned out not to be the case. I hope to hear something soon, as the deadline to make a decision for other schools is nearing.

I hope this helps or gives you some sort of peace of mind knowing you're not alone!

The old ranking is still up, so I think that the new ranking is geared more towards health policy and management rather than just health care management like the old rankings suggest?
That ranking was for year 2015.

These rankings are for policy schools, not public health schools. For example, 'Ford' is Michigan's policy school and not related to its degree in healthcare management and policy.
That might be a typo because Ford doesn't have a Health Management and Policy Department/Masters program/any faculty? They only offer MPA/MPP with no health policy courses listed in their curriculums.

Does anyone have a pros and cons list for Minnesota's program that they could share?

That deadline seems to be not in effect, so I would expect to hear something...relatively soon? I have been in contact with the graduate school liaison who said they are dealing with a lot of applications and would've been surprised if they were able to meet the two-week deadline. Also, I applied on 2/10 and haven't heard anything since. Actually, I was told I would be eligible for the round three deadline (2/9), even if I applied a day later, which I did, but that turned out not to be the case. I hope to hear something soon, as the deadline to make a decision for other schools is nearing.

I hope this helps or gives you some sort of peace of mind knowing you're not alone!

Thank you for this infomation! I'm relieved to hear that. It's a long process against patience.Anyway, I'm on the tiptoe with expectation.

Definitely just backlog - I applied around 2/20 (when full app was received ) and waited a little less than a month before I got an interview offer. Their turnaround from interview to accept/reject is supposedly ~ 1 week though

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. Does anyone happen to know what the general timeframe for the admission process at Columbia? My application was deemed complete 02/01, and I interviewed on 02/15. I haven't heard back from them since. Should I be worried? :(

Hi everyone, I would love to have your input making my final decision. I am an international student who is deciding between Michigan MHSA and Columbia MPH-HPM, and I would like to pursue a career in consulting after grad school. Also, I am thinking about switching from Columbia MPH-HPM to MHA if I do decide to go there. What do you guys think?

Happy to announce I've accepted my admission to Johns Hopkins MHA program and will be attending this fall there!

Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone, I would love to have your input making my final decision. I am an international student who is deciding between Michigan MHSA and Columbia MPH-HPM, and I would like to pursue a career in consulting after grad school. Also, I am thinking about switching from Columbia MPH-HPM to MHA if I do decide to go there. What do you guys think?

FYI I switched from MPH to MHA with no issue!

May I know what prompt you to make the change?

I compared the MPH and MHA curriculums and felt that the MHA curriculum included more classes that are relevant to my career goals. The core sounds interesting but not completely useful, and none of the certificates have an emphasis on management. I talked to the coordinator of the MHA program and she agreed that it would be the right degree for me.

Just got into Cornell with a small scholarship this morning! (for those that are still waiting the process took me about 2 months from submitted app to decision)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all!

I'm proud to announce that I got into Georgetown's MHA program with a sizable merit based scholarship and I got into University of Washington after an interview! That being said, I got these acceptances around February and submitted my apps in January. I also applied to Columbia (Jan.15th) and USC (December) and I haven't heard back since. Is anyone else on the same boat with those schools? Have you reached out? I've reached out once to Columbia and they said that they began sending out letters in February but will continue to send them out in the next couple of weeks. I'm really anxious! By when should I reach out again? I feel like I've been waiting forever.

Does anyone have a pros and cons list for Minnesota's program that they could share?

I'm an undergrad there now. So i have a bit of insight

Pros: Top ranked program, strong connections with health organizations in the state, super large and supportive alumni system, great possibility of finding research or graduate assistantship, career outcomes statistics are almost unmatched, twin cities fairly cheap to live in compared to other cities,

Cons: Program is very hospital administration oriented, not really good for those wanting to go into consulting or other field of health administration, the department is smaller and classes are in windowless underground rooms, the snow in MN is ridiculous, it snows heavily in April even,

Just got into Cornell with a small scholarship this morning! (for those that are still waiting the process took me about 2 months from submitted app to decision)
I have an interview coming up! How long did it take you to get a decision after the interview?

I have an interview coming up! How long did it take you to get a decision after the interview?

Congrats! I believe they evaluate apps the week after your interview and then you hear early the week after that - good luck! Poke around on SDN because there are some very good prep threads for the Cornell interview

Does anyone know which programs have a paid residency?

Hi anyone here who GT an admit from john hopkins and knows about the paid residency any idea how much do we actually get paid during 2 nd yr?

Hi anyone here who GT an admit from john hopkins and knows about the paid residency any idea how much do we actually get paid during 2 nd yr?

No one will be able to give you a definitive answer on this. It depends. If you go into hospital administration as your residency you're probably looking somewhere in the 40's and 50's. However, if you go into consulting you're looking more closer to 70-75.

Anyone who received an ra or ta positions in any university?

Heading to Cornell this Fall!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted my admit to Johns Hopkins and will be going there this fall :)

Reactions: 4 users
Heading to Cornell this Fall!!!

@AnMDtoB

Congrats! See you there! There is a Facebook page for our cohort, feel free to join! ‘ Cornell Sloan MHA Class of 2020’ is the name of the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
I am still deciding... I am trying to see if there are any downsides to doing a 3-year program that has a paid residency as opposed to doing a 2-year program. Anyone think of any?

I am still deciding... I am trying to see if there are any downsides to doing a 3-year program that has a paid residency as opposed to doing a 2-year program. Anyone think of any?

I decided against doing a 3-year program simply because I'd rather not pay an extra year of tuition for a fellowship/residency that I could just apply for after graduating from a 2 year program.

From what I understand there are only 4 programs that do 3 year programs now. Ultimately it's your preference but like joshua said you can always seek a "residency" (fellowship), after you graduate or even a normal position afterwards. The only real downside is you don't have your degree the third year.

I decided against doing a 3-year program simply because I'd rather not pay an extra year of tuition for a fellowship/residency that I could just apply for after graduating from a 2 year program.
Since tuition is per unit for most schools, I think the tuition will come out to the same.

For everyone going to Cornell, first off congratulations!!!! Second, what kind of aid do they offer? I heard most students get 3K per semester? Also, is the class size about 30-35? I'm going to hear back from them this Friday, so nervous!

Got in Cornell Monday morning. Currently deciding between Cornell and Columbia? Can anyone weigh in on their opinions regarding these two programs?