MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In at UAB! They are the last school I was waiting on so now to make the decision!
Congrats! Are you leaning towards anywhere in particular?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! And I agree. I love how Rush focuses on making sure their students get a lot of real-world work experience by requiring internship/part-time jobs during the first and second year. The other school I'm considering is the UW since it's in-state for me (interview is this Friday though, we'll see if I get in haha), but they only do a required summer internship after your first year. If I go to the UW, I know that I could find a part-time job during my first and second year, but it just seems like Rush really cares a lot about their students by assisting them in doing this. From my impression after interviewing, it also seems like Rush wants students to branch out of Chicago after graduating, but I'm wondering if it's hard to find work outside of Chicago. In the end, I want to stay in the West coast but I wouldn't mind working in Chicago for 1-2 years after graduation.
I heard that UW got more applications from out of state this year than in previous years which means that those people may be going back east after graduation. This of course means less competition for those who want to stay in the Seattle/west coast area after graduation I would think.

Does anyone know how many people UW interviews and how many are accepted?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that UW got more applications from out of state this year than in previous years which means that those people may be going back east after graduation. This of course means less competition for those who want to stay in the Seattle/west coast area after graduation I would think.

Does anyone know how many people UW interviews and how many are accepted?

I've heard that the majority of the people who go to visit day are accepted.
Are you planning on going on Friday?

Congrats! Are you leaning towards anywhere in particular?

Congrats! where are you leaning?

My wife and I discussed it and we're going to choose UAB. Their national reach, the price of the program, the student worker program, and just 100% positive reviews from everyone I've spoken to about the program have really made the decision for us.

Reactions: 2 users
I shared the same thoughts. Can't go wrong with either school, from what I've heard-but good luck on your interview on Friday, and keep me posted with your process!

I am currently leaning OSU. I loved Rush more at first but got a nice offer from OSU finances wise!

According to the survey everyone took, rankings, program location, and specific program elements (residencies/internships, program focus, etc), and program cost were, respectively, the top 4 criteria mentioned.

Thanks! I forgot about the survey. I'm torn between Cornell and Minnesota at the moment. I got accepted to OSU but haven't received my finanical aid offer yet, so I'm not sure about that. I loved the people and the program but I'm not sure about location.

I applied to Columbia on Jan 1st but have still not heard back--not even an interview. Is there still a chance I may get in? It is one of my top 2 choices.

Also, for those who are deciding on what program to go to. Is anyone deciding between Johns Hopkins and UNC/Columbia?
hi! I applied to Columbia too and had an interview. I still haven't heard back from them either. Wonder if it would be worth it to reach out to them.

I am currently leaning OSU. I loved Rush more at first but got a nice offer from OSU finances wise!
Congrats! Do you mind sharing when and how you received your financial aid package? I’m so impatient...
And if you’re confortable with sharing — how much aid/what kind of aid did you receive?

People who have been accepted at USC... Did you find out about Dean's Merit through the original message in the portal or by a separate letter via postal mail?

Honestly, not even sure if they send an official welcome letter by mail haha.

People who have been accepted at USC... Did you find out about Dean's Merit through the original message in the portal or by a separate letter via postal mail?

Hello! I had the same question. I was super excited about being accepted into USC but I think the admissions letter lacks a lot of information. I read it over a couple times and it is very vague. They did not explain whether you were accepted/rejected for any scholarships, no mention about a scheduled visit day for admitted students, and they did not state when the deadline is to accept the offer! This is frustrating!!

At the moment I am between USC's MHA and GW's MHA. Having a hard time deciding, but USC isn't making it easy with the lack of information!

Does anyone have any insight between these two programs?? Anyone else leaning on any of these two programs?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Hello! I had the same question. I was super excited about being accepted into USC but I think the admissions letter lacks a lot of information. I read it over a couple times and it is very vague. They did not explain whether you were accepted/rejected for any scholarships, no mention about a scheduled visit day for admitted students, and they did not state when the deadline is to accept the offer! This is frustrating!!

At the moment I am between USC's MHA and GW's MHA. Having a hard time deciding, but USC isn't making it easy with the lack of information!

Does anyone have any insight between these two programs?? Anyone else leaning on any of these two programs?
Hi! I received an official acceptance letter and details about Merit scholarship through postal mail.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Wow two opposite corners! Tough decisions.

Hi guys,

I went through the same experience but since I am based in California right after the letter I received a package detailing everything. If they have confirmed your academic eligibility then I believe that you are accepted as long you can back that up with your financial eligibility meaning scholarships, loans etc.

Last edited:
Hello, may I ask when did you receive the official acceptance letter in the mail? Was it a week after they emailed you about the decision?
Ya. I got it a week after the decision was posted in the portal.

Just paid my tuition deposit for UAB! Go Blazers! As a side note, feel free to reach out about any of the other programs I was accepted to if you want information. Has anybody else reached out and told other programs that accepted you that they are not going to attend? Do I need to do this?

Has anyone who has applied to UMich heard about scholarships yet? I got my financial aid package today and nothing was in it about merit scholarships... So I'm wondering if I missed the mark or if they still haven't sent those things out.

hi! I applied to Columbia too and had an interview. I still haven't heard back from them either. Wonder if it would be worth it to reach out to them.
I contacted them but all I got was that they would send out decisions in a few weeks.

Has anyone who has applied to UMich heard about scholarships yet? I got my financial aid package today and nothing was in it about merit scholarships... So I'm wondering if I missed the mark or if they still haven't sent those things out.
I also got my financial aid package today and it only shows work study and two gigantic loans.... Merit scholarships aren't mentioned. Well, if this is it, then I certainly will NOT be attending.

Last edited:
I also got my financial aid package today and it only shows work study and two gigantic loans.... Merit scholarships aren't mentioned. Well, if this is it, then I certainly will NOT be attending.

Hi! Current student here :)

Departmental scholarship information is shared after the financial aid packages! It seems they're taking some time with those decisions this year. Hope this helps!

Accepted into UMinn! Super excited to hear back :)

I’m in the same boat... Hopefully we’ve still got a shot at merit aid!

Just got a reject from UMN. It’s my first reject so it kinda stings. Oh well.

Hi! Current student here :)

Departmental scholarship information is shared after the financial aid packages! It seems they're taking some time with those decisions this year. Hope this helps!

Yes, it’s a ray of hope since UMich is my top choice, thank you! I hope they send it out soon.
I don’t think they’ve sent out scholarship notifications yet, just financial aid.

Yes, it’s a ray of hope since UMich is my top choice, thank you! I hope they send it out soon.

I don’t think they’ve sent out scholarship notifications yet, just financial aid.
I sure hope so. Thanks yall for the reassurance. Deep breaths, deep breaths.

Has anyone gone to one of SLU's interview days and care to share what it's like?

Hello, may I ask when did you receive the official acceptance letter in the mail? Was it a week after they emailed you about the decision?
I got mine today and I'm about 40 min away from USC. Out of state people should expect something soon. Admitted students day is March 26th FYI

Sorry about that, hope some acceptances come your way soon.
Oh no, that’s okay. I have four admits as of now including UMich, and I’m fixated on Mich, just waiting to see if some scholarship comes my way. And I kinda got the rejection vibe in the Minn interview itself, so I was expecting it.
Thanks though :)

Oh no, that’s okay. I have four admits as of now including UMich, and I’m fixated on Mich, just waiting to see if some scholarship comes my way. And I kinda got the rejection vibe in the Minn interview itself, so I was expecting it.
Thanks though :)

If UMich doesn't offer you any scholarships or enough scholarship, what's your next choice?

If UMich doesn't offer you any scholarships or enough scholarship, what's your next choice?
For now it’s Pitt and then Boston, I’m still waiting on JHU and UW, so once I hear back from all, I’ll decide. But I’m mostly gonna go with UMich only. What are your top choices?

For now it’s Pitt and then Boston, I’m still waiting on JHU and UW, so once I hear back from all, I’ll decide. But I’m mostly gonna go with UMich only. What are your top choices?

I'm torn between UMinn and Cornell as my top choices. I recently got into UW and OSU and I'm waiting to see their aid/scholarship. I got accepted to Tulane also, but they didn't offer any aid so it cost around 75K.

I'm torn between UMinn and Cornell as my top choices. I recently got into UW and OSU and I'm waiting to see their aid/scholarship. I got accepted to Tulane also, but they didn't offer any aid so it cost around 75K.
How did you find out you were in at UW? Don't they usually let their people know in March?

Yes, they let you know by early March.
OK it's just mk107 said he/sherecently found out they got into UW - did they already tell him/her or were they being hopeful? I was wondering.

Follow this format:

School: Ohio State University
GPA: Cumulative: 3.08 Major: 3.5 - 3.67
GRE: Verbal: 155 Quantative: 158 AW: 4.5
Major: Neuroscience
Experience (professional or otherwise): Quite a bit - been in the workforce for about 3-4 years.
Special Factors:

Applied: OSU, University of Iowa, University of Minnesota, George Washington University, Columbia University, Johns Hopkins University, University of Michigan
Interview: OSU (yesterday), University of Iowa, GWU, Columbia University, Johns Hopkins University
Waitlist:
Rejected: University of Michigan
Accepted: University of Iowa, GWU, Columbia University, Johns Hopkins University
Attending: (OSU most likely if I get accepted)

How did you find out you were in at UW? Don't they usually let their people know in March?

I had a phone interview with the director and he called me back a couple hours after and let me know I was accepted and to expect more information in about a week.

Can anyone speak to a time frame of hearing back from the schools? I applied a little later (January 15) to USC, GW, Rush, Trinity, Texas A&M, VCW. Can anyone let me know of when I can expect to hear anything?

I personally heard back from Trinity within a couple weeks for an interview and then after the interview they admitted me within a week. But i'm not sure about any of the other schools.

Anyone here who interviewed with Columbia earlier in the month and still haven't heard back?

I got mine today and I'm about 40 min away from USC. Out of state people should expect something soon. Admitted students day is March 26th FYI
Hi! How did you find out that USC admitted students day is March 26th? Is it the same day for everyone?

Hi! How did you find out that USC admitted students day is March 26th? Is it the same day for everyone?
The package that I got in the mail had information about the day. I am not sure if it is the same for everyone, but would be great if there are other days because I can't make it on the 26th.

For those that heard back from UMinn after interviews, how long after the interview did you hear back?

For those that heard back from UMinn after interviews, how long after the interview did you hear back?
I heard back a week after my interview. Good luck!

I interviewed on the 7th of this month and heard back on the 22nd!

Have a question for those accepted into Columbia University.. when did you hear back about financial aid? Is it the same time or do they mention that weeks later? Or if you didn't get anything in regards to it, does that mean you weren't given any?

Hi, I am an international student.
I know it'll be a quite tough process since I submitted my application in Feb, the final round, also my poor Verbal score.
How do you think the possibility that I pass a document screening, and get a chance for interviews?
I have no friends or mentors who have MHAs in my country, so it is hard to collect information.
I would like you to give me any advice!

Undergrad School: Private University in Japan
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.15
Major/Minor: Economics
GRE:Verbal:144 Quantitative:162 AW:3
Experience/Research: 5 yrs work experience in trading&investment company
Special factors: was selected for the future management track of overseas hospital biz in Asia/ company sponsored applicant

Interested in: MHA
Applied: Cornell, Minnesota
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Question: All those who applied for the Dean's Merit Scholarship at USC, what was the process? I just filled out the 3-4 questions in the supplementary question area before hitting submit on my application on the portal. Did I miss something? Because i received my decision from the department but have not heard anything about my scholarship.

I got a half tuition Dean's merit scholarship at USC !!!

Hi,
Approximately how long did it take for you hear back about the scholarship after your official acceptance? Did you receive you scholarship details with your department decision letter?

Hi! I received an official acceptance letter and details about Merit scholarship through postal mail.

Did you receive your package from the department and the scholarship details in the same package?