MHA at U of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beebee0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is considering or decided to go to UMN for MHA? Doesn't seem like anyone is talking about this school on SDN... Is it because it's too cold in MN? :laugh:

Anyway, I have to decide between doing an MHA in Minnesota or an MPH in Boston Univeristy for now.

Boston University's students and faculty really impressed me and everyone seemed so happy at BU. I would love to go to Boston but the fact that their MPH-HPM is not accredited is a concern...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I were in your shoes, I'd say go for UMN. Yes it's cold (and is why I didn't really consider it haha) but it's only for 2 years. UMN's MHA program is well-respected and not as expensive as other schools.

Also, if you plan on doing an administrative residency, some but not all programs require that you have a degree from an accredited program. Although your experience really matters, these residencies are very competitive so it helps to have gone to a well-known program. Some residency programs recruit from certain schools so you'll want to have access to those opportunities.

I was wondering if anyone is considering or decided to go to UMN for MHA? Doesn't seem like anyone is talking about this school on SDN... Is it because it's too cold in MN? :laugh: Anyway, I have to decide between doing an MHA in Minnesota or an MPH in Boston Univeristy for now. Boston University's students and faculty really impressed me and everyone seemed so happy at BU. I would love to go to Boston but the fact that their MPH-HPM is not accredited is a concern...

UMN has one of the best MHA programs in the country (ranked much higher than BU if you care about that sort of thing), so do not let the weather discourage you! I am not in the MHA program but have taken a few classes at UMN in that department that were really great. The first year the winter can be a little shocking if you are coming from someplace warm, but it is an awesome place to live and a great city. I honestly do think the weather deters people. I won't lie - it does get cold. However, you really do get used to it (and most people grow to LOVE it). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
UMN has one of the best MHA programs in the country (ranked much higher than BU if you care about that sort of thing), so do not let the weather discourage you! I am not in the MHA program but have taken a few classes at UMN in that department that were really great. The first year the winter can be a little shocking if you are coming from someplace warm, but it is an awesome place to live and a great city. I honestly do think the weather deters people. I won't lie - it does get cold. However, you really do get used to it (and most people grow to LOVE it). Good luck!
i come from southern California:D But, if MN is really that great then I won't let the weather stop me. Thanks for sharing~~

I was wondering if anyone is considering or decided to go to UMN for MHA? Doesn't seem like anyone is talking about this school on SDN... Is it because it's too cold in MN? :laugh: Anyway, I have to decide between doing an MHA in Minnesota or an MPH in Boston Univeristy for now. Boston University's students and faculty really impressed me and everyone seemed so happy at BU. I would love to go to Boston but the fact that their MPH-HPM is not accredited is a concern...

I was wondering why no one is talking about this school on here as well!

Honestly the weather is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Sure there are a few 30 below zero days in the winter but most of the time its bearable. Fall/Spring/Summer are awesome in MN and the Twin Cities is a great place to live. I personally would shy away from the unaccredited program but then again I'm biased because I will be going to U of M this fall for MPH...

I was wondering why no one is talking about this school on here as well!

Honestly the weather is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Sure there are a few 30 below zero days in the winter but most of the time its bearable. Fall/Spring/Summer are awesome in MN and the Twin Cities is a great place to live. I personally would shy away from the unaccredited program but then again I'm biased because I will be going to U of M this fall for MPH...

You are going to MN? What concentration within MPH?