Michigan State University c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
we also couldn't see any of the classrooms for some reason
You ate in the cafeteria, right? that's a major classroom... lol
@sheltermed what q's did you have about the hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think they don’t take tours in there anymore for biosecurity reasons? But maybe @finnickthedog or @StayingPositive2017 knows a bit more about it and can tell you some? Or @Teepster87 if clinics haven’t eaten him alive

I actually saw @Teepster87 on my tour in passing walking down the hallway - figured it would be too weird to stop him and say hi and explain who I am lol

I guess I am mostly wondering about how modern the facilities are - I'm sure the equipment is all up-to-date, but how is/are the building(s) themselves? Some other teaching hospitals I've seen are a bit outdated, not that it bothers me, but it's still something I like to know. I also don't remember a lot about the caseload - is there a summary/annual report of that somewhere?

You ate in the cafeteria, right? that's a major classroom... lol

Are there lecture halls? I just feel like it was hard to see myself like...learning in there. That said, maybe it's just because of the setting and the way it was set up for lunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there lecture halls? I just feel like it was hard to see myself like...learning in there. That said, maybe it's just because of the setting and the way it was set up for lunch.
We are doing a flipped classroom so lots of group work, less lectures. There are two lecture halls, one more in the medical building, but mostly we are in the caf and anatomy lab

Reactions: 1 users
I actually saw @Teepster87 on my tour in passing walking down the hallway - figured it would be too weird to stop him and say hi and explain who I am lol

I guess I am mostly wondering about how modern the facilities are - I'm sure the equipment is all up-to-date, but how is/are the building(s) themselves? Some other teaching hospitals I've seen are a bit outdated, not that it bothers me, but it's still something I like to know. I also don't remember a lot about the caseload - is there a summary/annual report of that somewhere?
Probably half and half modern and old, its getting renovated slowly. definitely not gross or old though. High case load

We are doing a flipped classroom so lots of group work, less lectures. There are two lecture halls, one more in the medical building, but mostly we are in the caf and anatomy lab
Strongly prefer this environment over lectures!!!

Group work, perhaps not so much, but I think I could adjust. Especially since we're all vet students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

You should have said something! Lol. I would probably have been confused but I normally am anyhow!
I was actually on my way for an audition to be a virtual tour guide for something the school is trying new. Biosecurity is one reason, but also so is space. And it can be hard to keep tours small enough for everyone to hear who's speaking. The bones of the hospital are a bit older, but a lot has been updated this decade. The ER/ICU was redone a few years back, the oncology wing is all relatively new including a linear accelerator in the basement. The main entrance was just redone to include a feline only waiting room. They're also currently working on getting a new MRI in, I'm not sure if it'll be able.to fit anything more than a horse limb in it like the current one.
I can maybe find a annual summary somewhere, but we're at like 40,000 cases annually. The majority of those are small animal. We may be reviving a LA ambulatory service, I think more for students benefit. They stopped it along time ago and have just tried to keep referring vets happy and not cut into their clientele. I'm currently on emergency and there's like 30-50 animals seen a day. I have no idea how that compares to private emergency, but I feel like we all stay pretty busy.

So I didn't know MSU needed all prerequisities completed by July 1, I thought it was the first week of classes...

I need to take some sort of trig or pre-calc class before then, but the spring semester has already started. Does anyone know of any online classes I can take that I can either still enroll in or is a 8 week format, just in case I get an acceptance? (HUGE assumptions over here)

So I didn't know MSU needed all prerequisities completed by July 1, I thought it was the first week of classes...

I need to take some sort of trig or pre-calc class before then, but the spring semester has already started. Does anyone know of any online classes I can take that I can either still enroll in or is a 8 week format, just in case I get an acceptance? (HUGE assumptions over here)
see above, forgot to quote you

Members don't see this ad :)

My local community college had accelerated summer courses, so instead of taking the whole summer it'd only be half that time. Not sure if this is an option for you, but thought I'd throw it out there. I took College Algebra and Trig Summer I at OCC.

see above, forgot to quote you
My local community college had accelerated summer courses, so instead of taking the whole summer it'd only be half that time. Not sure if this is an option for you, but thought I'd throw it out there. I took College Algebra and Trig Summer I at OCC.
Thank you both very much! I will look into both of these :)

Did you they tell you directly that July 1st is the deadline? Do you know whether that's a deadline for completing the classes vs a deadline for them receiving the transcripts? The only reason I ask is because on the website is says all prerequisites must be completed "by the spring semester preceding matriculation" which sounds like the end of this semester. I just want to make sure you have correct dates.

Did you they tell you directly that July 1st is the deadline? Do you know whether that's a deadline for completing the classes vs a deadline for them receiving the transcripts? The only reason I ask is because on the website is says all prerequisites must be completed "by the spring semester preceding matriculation" which sounds like the end of this semester. I just want to make sure you have correct dates.
Last year it was ok to do spring courses and we had a july date for transcripts...

Last year it was ok to do spring courses and we had a july date for transcripts...

Well, I took the wording to mean she could take a spring course. July is the middle of the summer though and since her post said "completed by" and not "transcripts by" I just wanted to make sure she has the correct information and doesn't take a class that ends too late.

This is the email I got!

Attachments

• A68168F0-8377-4574-AE41-FCB105B55C22.png
    A68168F0-8377-4574-AE41-FCB105B55C22.png
    254.8 KB · Views: 94
Thanks finnick! I sent an email to double check, but I think I’m going to try and enroll sooner just in case someone is trying to punk me

Doane offers online pre-calc in 8 week format.

I hope one of you on the interview waitlist gets my spot. I just canceled my interview on March 1st because I just accepted a seat at my in-state school. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you that have already interviewed, how did you like the MMI style?

For those of you that have already interviewed, how did you like the MMI style?

I really enjoyed it! I was pretty nervous about it beforehand, but once it got rolling I actually had fun. I found it went by much faster than my traditional interviews, which in my mind is a plus. And the nice thing is if one room didn't go so great, you still have a bunch of other opportunities to shine.

I really enjoyed it! I was pretty nervous about it beforehand, but once it got rolling I actually had fun. I found it went by much faster than my traditional interviews, which in my mind is a plus. And the nice thing is if one room didn't go so great, you still have a bunch of other opportunities to shine.
that's good to hear because I am super nervous about mine next week lol for final decisions after interviews, do you know if Michigan State places everyone either as accepted or waitlisted? Or do they also deny some applicants after interviews?

Yes, some people do not get accepted or wait listed

I completely agree with what you said, the only downfall of this type of interview, is I feel like they aren’t as personal as traditional interviews. I mean you could splash in some personal experiences here and there but I just feel like I wasn’t able to show them exactly who I was. I would suggest to ensure that you put in as much personal experiences into your responses as you can. Overall I really liked them, and this was just my personal opinion on really the only downfall.

Did anyone use
I completely agree with what you said, the only downfall of this type of interview, is I feel like they aren’t as personal as traditional interviews. I mean you could splash in some personal experiences here and there but I just feel like I wasn’t able to show them exactly who I was. I would suggest to ensure that you put in as much personal experiences into your responses as you can. Overall I really liked them, and this was just my personal opinion on really the only downfall.
So along the lines of answer such as “I would pick this, because of *insert personal experience here*?”

Just trying to prepare and I’ve thought about this a lot!

Did anyone use

So along the lines of answer such as “I would pick this, because of *insert personal experience here*?”

Not necessarily. It’s tough to do so I personally think but all I can say is be confident in all your responses and in the end be yourself and just try to have fun! They are super friendly there and just the atmosphere is great.

Last edited:
Did anyone use

As Monty said, for some of them you can insert some personal experience, but for some of them you just can't. I'd be confident in your answers and if you have a chance to insert personal experience, that should help to defend your response.

I certainly disagree! I was able to discuss personal experiences in almost every question.

I certainly disagree! I was able to discuss personal experiences in almost every question.

I was more in line with this...I didn't find it difficult at all. But I have a fair bit of varied experience, not just in veterinary, which gave me more to draw from.

Genuinely the best advice I can give is to take a big breath before each room, hold it for a few seconds, and exhale slowly as you open the door. I had awful anxiety for one of my other interviews, and as bad as I was, taking a good long breath still helped me clear my head and focus.

Has anyone seen the estimated cost of living on the VIN map? It claims to cost $90k+ over 4 years, but when I visited a lot of people commented on the low cost of living. Can anyone presently living there comment? Should students really anticipate to spend that much over 4 years?

It doubly doesn't make sense to me because it's almost 20k higher than CoL in Ithaca, and everyone knows how expensive it is to live in NY.

Has anyone seen the estimated cost of living on the VIN map? It claims to cost $90k+ over 4 years, but when I visited a lot of people commented on the low cost of living. Can anyone presently living there comment? Should students really anticipate to spend that much over 4 years?

It doubly doesn't make sense to me because it's almost 20k higher than CoL in Ithaca, and everyone knows how expensive it is to live in NY.
So depends on where you live, what you want. I've seen rentals for $600-1200. Some places charge per person vs a set amount that you can divide up between roommates.

There is a private cvm rental list for accepted students. Right now there is only a couple listings but they range from $375 renting a private room in a house owned by someone in my class to $1100 for a one bedroom apartment or $900 for a three bedroom house and a couple other options in between.

It really just depends on what you have to have. When we first moved here we only had one weekend to look so opted for a really big two bedroom apartment for $1100. We had a community pool and it was decent but not fancy. We've since purchased but our situation is different than my classmates who could move every year if they wanted.

So when do we think we are going to hear? I’m really hoping for next week!

As much as I would hope.. I doubt it... I’m anticipating around 10-14 days after the last interview dates. I think that’s about how long it took for IS (Correct me if I’m wrong lol), also anticipating extra time to compensate for influx of interviews.

Either way... I don’t think they’ll let us know the same week as the last interview date... but if they do I’ll be pleasantly surprised!

As much as I would hope.. I doubt it... I’m anticipating around 10-14 days after the last interview dates. I think that’s about how long it took for IS (Correct me if I’m wrong lol), also anticipating extra time to compensate for influx of interviews.

Either way... I don’t think they’ll let us know the same week as the last interview date... but if they do I’ll be pleasantly surprised!

I believe for in state they let us know the tuesday after the last friday interview, not sure if it’s the same for out of state though.

I'm fairly sure it will be the week following interviews. I think I remember hearing that somewhere.

I believe for in state they let us know the tuesday after the last friday interview, not sure if it’s the same for out of state though.

Ooooo!! I’m keeping my fingers crossed then :xf:
The wait is ~almost~, sorta, kinda over! Hang in there guys!

I'm in the process of cancelling my March 1 interview. I know it's last minute but I have my fingers crossed someone on the interview wait list can still take it. Best of luck to all of you!

Good luck to tomorrow's interviewees!

Yes! Good luck!! You're all going to do so great, last but not least!

Side note: I got my student email address today! It's getting real-er! :biglove:

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck tomorrow guys!!! We will all know soon :)

I might be taking a break from clinic duties to come guide or panel tomorrow!

Good luck to all interviewing today!

Done! They reiterated that admissions decisions will be released early next week, by the way :)

Reactions: 6 users
Done! They reiterated that admissions decisions will be released early next week, by the way :)
How do you think you did? I felt so much better about mine after it was finished!
These next few days just need to fly by! Lol

Nice! Hope it all went well!
Can’t believe we will be hearing back so soon! Anyone else feel like they want to know the decision but at the same time they are scared to find out? Haha