Michigan State University c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have an interview scheduled for Monday but just received an email from the airline company warning the flight may be delayed due to weather. I am supposed to arrive on Sunday to Detroit. Does anyone else have had similar situation and know to do? Obviously cannot get in touch with the school before flight because it's the weekend. I have the option to cancel and reschedule the flight now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have an interview scheduled for Monday but just received an email from the airline company warning the flight may be delayed due to weather. I am supposed to arrive on Sunday to Detroit. Does anyone else have had similar situation and know to do? Obviously cannot get in touch with the school before flight because it's the weekend. I have the option to cancel and reschedule the flight now.
At least send an email advising them of the issue and what you decided to do

Members don't see this ad :)

My flight got canceled and automatically rescheduled. I emailed admissions earlier in the week with the snow storm in mind and it sounds like rescheduling might be an option, but definitely try to keep your appointment. Usually airlines will keep bumping you to a later flight, so as long as you're getting there sometime Sunday night you should be fine!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what the seat breakdown is? ( that is how many are offered to IS vs OOS)

Does anyone know what the seat breakdown is? ( that is how many are offered to IS vs OOS)
Class of 2022 Profile

For OOS's, last year from this chart, about half interviewed were offered seats. You can see that based on previous years only about 30-40 actually accept their seats, so that's probably their goal size for OOS's, and about 80 seats for IS's.

I don't know if they have an actually number/ratio they shoot for, it if it's a range they try to keep in.

Class of 2022 Profile

For OOS's, last year from this chart, about half interviewed were offered seats. You can see that based on previous years only about 30-40 actually accept their seats, so that's probably their goal size for OOS's, and about 80 seats for IS's.

I don't know if they have an actually number/ratio they shoot for, it if it's a range they try to keep in.

Thanks, that’s what I had seen as well but wondered if all of those “selected” were for seats or waitlisted individuals combined, since nearly 200 seems like a large group if by some chance most accepted their offer.

I've always been under the impression that they will take a max of 37 OOS. They do have decent waitlist movement, too. I started #81 last year and finished #1.

Reactions: 1 users
Curious... how has everyone felt about their interviews so far?!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've always been under the impression that they will take a max of 37 OOS. They do have decent waitlist movement, too. I started #81 last year and finished #1.

Okay thats helpful, its good to hear that their waitlist moves at a decent rate.

Terrible lol. I hope everyone else felt better! Good luck peeps! :)

Ahhh MMI can be a bit tricky! But we all got this far for a reason! Don’t be so hard on yourself. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Ahhh MMI can be a bit tricky! But we all got this far for a reason! Don’t be so hard on yourself. ;)
Ditto on the terrible. Just wish we didn't have to wait until the first week of March to find out.

Terrible lol. I hope everyone else felt better! Good luck peeps! :)

Ahh, were you there yesterday? Sad. Winter storm kept me from getting out there on time. I got rescheduled, though!

Reactions: 5 users
I just remembered that there is an interview debrief - are these individual, where they tell you how you did?

I just remembered that there is an interview debrief - are these individual, where they tell you how you did?
Noooo I thought that there was an aspect where they were going to do that (idk why... maybe I read something like that for another school). But it was just a few minutes where they answered any last questions before we moved on to tours and the presentations

Noooo I thought that there was an aspect where they were going to do that (idk why... maybe I read something like that for another school). But it was just a few minutes where they answered any last questions before we moved on to tours and the presentations

It definitely says it on the schedule...

9:50 - 10:10 am Interview Debrief

But maybe answering last minute questions is what that means.

My flight got canceled and automatically rescheduled. I emailed admissions earlier in the week with the snow storm in mind and it sounds like rescheduling might be an option, but definitely try to keep your appointment. Usually airlines will keep bumping you to a later flight, so as long as you're getting there sometime Sunday night you should be fine!
Thanks for the advice! I forgot I never replied. The Admissions was really understanding and ended up rescheduling my interview for me! Best of luck on your interview

for anyone on the interview waitlist, it has moved at least 12 places in one week! :D

It was the time they took to let us talk about the questions that were asked and go over any other information before the tours started. They then reiterated (ie debriefed) about the confidentiality if the questions etc.

Have my interview coming up on 2/1. Anyone have any advice on how to study or what kind of questions to look at. I have been doing so for the past 2 weeks and a mock interview with a professor. Just super nervous!

Have my interview coming up on 2/1. Anyone have any advice on how to study or what kind of questions to look at. I have been doing so for the past 2 weeks and a mock interview with a professor. Just super nervous!

If you’ve been doing mock interviews you should be more than fine! It’s not as bad as it seemed (at least to me)... so just keep calm, smile, and have fun with it!

Also, I am now starting to get that post-interview anxiety :dead: I loved MSU so much and everyone was incredibly friendly! I can’t wait until March :luck:

Reactions: 4 users
Also, I am now starting to get that post-interview anxiety :dead: I loved MSU so much and everyone was incredibly friendly! I can’t wait until March :luck:

Same and it’s really starting to affect my sleep. Been skitzing since my interview last Friday!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Same and it’s really starting to affect my sleep. Been skitzing since my interview last Friday!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sammmeeee I had mine on Monday! I had zero stress going into it and now it’s hitting me all at once lol
I just hope they let us know early March! But heck, this process feels like it’s been going on foreverrrrr what’s a couple more months... right? :laugh:

Woop woop! The intent to enroll form (and technical standards) was made available this Tuesday, and I received my official paper acceptance letter on Wednesday!
Been waiting to post to social media till I had that physical letter. Lol

Now all I'm doing till August is applying to outside/not vetmed scholarships. (Which is a nice endless task to keep my brain busy :joyful:)

Reactions: 5 users
Are interviews opened or closed application? Any advice would be helpful :)

The interviews are closed file MMI. Standard MMI format, you are only allowed to discuss the prompts which can range from scenarios to random questions about you or other topics etc. There were rooms where I finished early and we just sit in silence and others where we could have talked for a few more minutes but had to cut it short.
Michigan State has a video on their website regarding the MMIs that gives a good example and a poor example of an interview so you can get a feel of how the questions are asked.

I have thrown up a few other tips earlier on this thread you can check out too!

Also, they do not fault you if you do not get through all of the questions because you run out of time!

Woop woop! The intent to enroll form (and technical standards) was made available this Tuesday, and I received my official paper acceptance letter on Wednesday!
Been waiting to post to social media till I had that physical letter. Lol

Now all I'm doing till August is applying to outside/not vetmed scholarships. (Which is a nice endless task to keep my brain busy :joyful:)
I still don't have the physical letter :shrug: but I paid everything and finished the full checklist. Now, as you said, it is nothing but scholarship searching and waiting for August!

I still don't have the physical letter :shrug: but I paid everything and finished the full checklist. Now, as you said, it is nothing but scholarship searching and waiting for August!
Hopefully yours comes soon!
My letter was dated Jan 14th, the envelope was postmarked Jan 18th, and I received it Jan 23rd.

Hopefully yours comes soon!
My letter was dated Jan 14th, the envelope was postmarked Jan 18th, and I received it Jan 23rd.
Here's to hoping to be your future classmate! Congrats on your acceptance! :D

Reactions: 2 users
Connecting flight through Chicago to my interview tomorrow cancelled...stay warm everyone!!

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with scholarships at MSU? More specifically, for OOS students (if they even differentiate between IS/OOS for scholarship awards).

Does anyone have experience with scholarships at MSU? More specifically, for OOS students (if they even differentiate between IS/OOS for scholarship awards).
Hi, I’m out of state. They gave us $1000 at the beginning of the year. They usually give some sort of money out for OOS. Other than that you just fill out the app and they notify you when you get one.

Hi, I’m out of state. They gave us $1000 at the beginning of the year. They usually give some sort of money out for OOS. Other than that you just fill out the app and they notify you when you get one.

Do they tend to be small? Obviously every bit counts, but I'm just curious how substantial the scholarships are, and how likely someone is to get one.

Hmmm I wonder how this crazy weather will affect the whole admissions timeline... as it is I kinda feel like March is a little later considering we need to commit by April.

Safe travels to all of you interviewing! Stay warm! :love: