Michigan State University c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I’m out of state. They gave us $1000 at the beginning of the year. They usually give some sort of money out for OOS. Other than that you just fill out the app and they notify you when you get one.
This was one of the former Dean's big programs. He did a lot of fighrifi with main campus to keep the rise in OOS tuition in line with the increase in IS tuition.
I haven't heard anything directly from the new Dean or scholarship people, so I'm not sure about the future of this particular initiative.

As far as other scholarships I've gotten from 500 to 5000. I know some classmates have received bigger ones. I think something like 70% of all students get at least some scholarship money ( I think I've seen this on a poster).

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm I wonder how this crazy weather will affect the whole admissions timeline... as it is I kinda feel like March is a little later considering we need to commit by April.
Don’t wait until you hear back from all schools then. Start making a list ranking the schools. Make pro con lists. Compare costs. If you do get in, it makes your life a lot easier since you’ve already done all the leg work and now just have to go with Plan A of “I got in here and it’s my top choice” or Plan B of whatever other school you’ve heard from/are waiting on. March still gives you a few weeks to actually fully decide, but you could be putting the work in now to decide what you would do if you got in everywhere instead of waiting to hear back to start comparing things and ranking them.

Reactions: 2 users
Don’t wait until you hear back from all schools then. Start making a list ranking the schools. Make pro con lists. Compare costs. If you do get in, it makes your life a lot easier since you’ve already done all the leg work and now just have to go with Plan A of “I got in here and it’s my top choice” or Plan B of whatever other school you’ve heard from/are waiting on. March still gives you a few weeks to actually fully decide, but you could be putting the work in now to decide what you would do if you got in everywhere instead of waiting to hear back to start comparing things and ranking them.

You’re totally right! better to be proactive than a crazy ball of anxiety over it. thanks for helping me gain some perspective! :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten an acceptance or a denial yet? I interviewed back in early January and I’m anxious

Has anyone gotten an acceptance or a denial yet? I interviewed back in early January and I’m anxious
As an out of state student, you won't hear back until all interviews are done. I believe that the last interview date is March 1.

Does anyone know when we need to send our fall transcripts? Just realized I haven’t sent them the fall and haven’t gotten an email about it so slightly freaking out that I missed something.

Hopefully yours comes soon!
My letter was dated Jan 14th, the envelope was postmarked Jan 18th, and I received it Jan 23rd.
Finally got it yesterday! It was sent to my old address and then mail delay for weather. But it's here now and I love the sticker!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when we need to send our fall transcripts? Just realized I haven’t sent them the fall and haven’t gotten an email about it so slightly freaking out that I missed something.
Based on the selected candidates website, transcripts must be requested by July 26th.

Finally got it yesterday! It was sent to my old address and then mail delay for weather. But it's here now and I love the sticker!
Yeah idk about you, but when I interviewed in November the stickers they gave us in our folders were "future MSU vet tech". I was real excited to get a "vet" sticker this time. Lol

Yeah idk about you, but when I interviewed in November the stickers they gave us in our folders were "future MSU vet tech". I was real excited to get a "vet" sticker this time. Lol
I didn't get a sticker in my folder; I interviewed on the last day in December. That's weird they had vet tech stickers for your folders. Must have been a mistake.

I didn't get a sticker in my folder; I interviewed on the last day in December. That's weird they had vet tech stickers for your folders. Must have been a mistake.
Yeah I was like am I interviewing for the right thing? Haha
They must have caught it before the rest of the interviews then.

I get why you keep saying Michigan. Michigan is better than Michigan State.
Do you know what all Michigan and Michigan State students have in common? They were all accepted into Michigan State.

But I can assure you that when in comes time to buy tuition Michigan love green and white (color of money).

Lollll
My vets office has a whole roll of those future MSU vet stickers in one of the exam room drawers :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably more people applying and probably more people meeting the requirements since neither require the GRE sand MSU doesn’t look at your gpa after you meet the requirement
I have to agree with you. Many schools are lowering GPA and GRE requirements causing students with lower GPAs and GRE to apply. As schools move to holistic reviews, students with high GPAs and GRE have to apply to more schools also.

still on interview waitlist :whistle: hoping some of you get in to your in-state/top choice so the waitlist will continue moving for some of us.. *sigh*

still on interview waitlist :whistle: hoping some of you get in to your in-state/top choice so the waitlist will continue moving for some of us.. *sigh*
I'd imagine that the March 1st date will open up a lot. Most schools will let people know prior to that date. I'm still waiting to hear from my IS Wisconsin; rumour has it that I should hear by Friday/Saturday (snail mail), but my MSU interview is on Friday, so that won't help at all.

I'd imagine that the March 1st date will open up a lot. Most schools will let people know prior to that date. I'm still waiting to hear from my IS Wisconsin; rumour has it that I should hear by Friday/Saturday (snail mail), but my MSU interview is on Friday, so that won't help at all.
I just wish they would let us know if we were accepted sooner rather than later. Also waiting to see if I was accepted to UW as well (OOS) but definitely not holding my breath.

Well, finally getting the pre-interview anxiety as I sit here in the hotel room. Good luck to everybody tomorrow!!

Reactions: 3 users
Well, finally getting the pre-interview anxiety as I sit here in the hotel room. Good luck to everybody tomorrow!!

You'll do great! I interviewed back in January and they really do a great job of calming you down (as much as you can be calmed :) ). While MMI is not my personal favorite in terms of interview style, MSU's was actually the least painful. I was really impressed by the school and the faculty! Good luck!!

Man, some of those questions were really interesting. I really don’t know how I did. I feel like some rooms were good and some were bad.

As long as you had some good ones that's positive!

As long as you had some good ones that's positive!

Yeah some were great! I loved the school though. They offer so much for students. It’s amazing.

Reactions: 6 users
Question for everyone as we continue to patiently wait for March decisions. On the website for the class of 2022 profile. Does anyone know the difference between the number of applicants selected and the ones admitted. That is are the ‘selected’ applicants a combination of waitlisted and accepted or just people that were offered a seat( and then some declined their offer)?

Question for everyone as we continue to patiently wait for March decisions. On the website for the class of 2022 profile. Does anyone know the difference between the number of applicants selected and the ones admitted. That is are the ‘selected’ applicants a combination of waitlisted and accepted or just people that were offered a seat( and then some declined their offer)?

Pretty sure "selected" only includes people who were offered a seat.

Pretty sure "selected" only includes people who were offered a seat.
Yea most vet schools offer a good number more seats than they have available in the class. Especially to OOS students. This is because a lot of students will end up turning it down in order to go to their IS school, or maybe that school just wasn’t top on their list. If a class is 120 a school might offer spots to 180. Often enough, so many decline the seat that they start pulling off the waitlist in order to get up to the desired class size. This sometimes backfires and you can end up with too many kids in a class. A doctor I work with was in a class of 135 at Penn (usually has around 120-125). Things were cramped, to say the least.

I have no idea whether MSU initially sends out more offers than they have seat, but it doesn't really matter in regards to the "selected" stat because I'm fairly certain that number includes all students who received an offer (including those pulled from the waitlist) and not just the initial offers.

Point being, it doesn't include the whole waitlist which I think is what @COgoatguy was asking. It does however (at least from my understanding) include people who were originally put on the waitlist and later received an offer.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks everyone, that answers my question. By the looks of it then, they move through their waitlist fairly quick. I’m just trying to gauge my odds since this is one of the last schools I’m waiting on.

Thanks everyone, that answers my question. By the looks of it then, they move through their waitlist fairly quick. I’m just trying to gauge my odds since this is one of the last schools I’m waiting on.
Most of the wait list movement won't happen until after the April 15th decision deadline

Does anyone know the exact date we hear back? I know the last day for interviews is March 1st but will we find out the week after or 2 weeks after March 1st?

Does anyone know the exact date we hear back? I know the last day for interviews is March 1st but will we find out the week after or 2 weeks after March 1st?

I interviewed on January 11 and they told us "after March 1" but didn't give specifics :( I don't know how long it takes to sort through everything. If they;ll have everyone in order from earlier dates and all they'll have to do is score and rank the last date, I imagine it could be quick? Ahhhh

Last edited:
I interviewed on January 11 and they told us "after March 1" but didn't give specifics :( I don't know how long it takes to sort through everything. If they;ll have everyone in order from earlier dates and all they'll have to do is score and rank the last date, I imagine it could be quick? Ahhhh

Ahhhh is right! I am anxiously waiting like I am sure most of us are. My anxiety is off the charts since my interview haha

Quick like the evening of March 1st quick?

I deleted my post because I misread. XP I thought she was talking about the admissions waitlist and not the interview waitlist.

I’m realizing that after touring other schools/interviews, MSU is my top choice now and the wait/anticipation is slowly eating away at my soul lol

Reactions: 6 users
I’m realizing that after touring other schools/interviews, MSU is my top choice now and the wait/anticipation is slowly eating away at my soul lol
Ahhh, hang in there! What about MSU did you like? I like it a lot too, but was worried about the uncertainty of the curriculum and was hoping to talk that through with some other people!

Oh gosh. Since playing WW every time I see 'MSU' I think people are talking about me. Lol :smack:

Ahhh, hang in there! What about MSU did you like? I like it a lot too, but was worried about the uncertainty of the curriculum and was hoping to talk that through with some other people!

i'll chime in on this one too! haha i loved MSU for a couple of reasons... the biggest aspects i appreciated was: was how friendly everyone is, the student ran wildlife center (!!! this one is HUGE for me), the opportunity to work in the on campus clinic (AND get PAID), the diversity of cases within the different areas of the campus clinic, the 'houses' and the sense of community they encourage, the affordability of off campus living, and i personally loved the college town.

as far as curriculum goes, i feel that i would thrive in the new style they've implemented. It's like a healthy blend of didactic and hand-on clinical skills. I don't like strictly didactic learning- i learn best with hands on reinforcement and i feel that it helps prevent complete burn out. On the flip side, curriculums like Western (PBL) would be somewhat overwhelming for me in the beginning (though im sure i would get the hang of it at some point). also, by talking to a few students it became clear that they were able to maintain a healthy life outside of school and their class days weren't excruciatingly long. all in all, the consensus is that the new curriculum is fantastic and even some the older classes wish they had this style when they started!

some down sides for me: tuition cost (ouch), winters (BURRRR), i feel like maybe there isnt as much to do in the area (but i'm from SoCal so i guess its hard to compare), and the dean wasn't at my interview day so i felt a small disconnect on that part.
either way.... i CANT WAIT UNTIL MARCH! :highfive:

Reactions: 5 users

Same! I literally keep having nightmares of a rejection email since my interview because of all the great applicants this year. Can March come any sooner? Haha

I loved the atmosphere of the school; I think I would enjoy the curriculum and have the time to live my life as well as make money to pay rent/even pay tuition since it seems like you have more free time. I also thought the facilities were impressive and the opportunities for large animal work and research are what I am most interested in so I feel like I could really thrive! Trying to keep hopes low though because of such an increase in applicant pool..

Hi everyone! I was so, so fortunate to have been accepted as an IS student this year. I had a great experience at my interview, and love the new curriculum. However, I feel like I wasn't able to get much of a chance to experience the general atmosphere while I was there, as most students and faculty were tied up in classes (it was right before finals week, I can't even imagine how stressed everyone was) and unable to participate much in our interview activities. Could any current students comment on the general feel of the school? Are staff supportive, classmates collaborative, welcoming, and focused on group success, and so on? I'm basically totally sold on this school, I loved every second of being there. It would just love to hear some current student perspectives before I take that final leap and commit. Thanks so much!! :)

Hi everyone! I was so, so fortunate to have been accepted as an IS student this year. I had a great experience at my interview, and love the new curriculum. However, I feel like I wasn't able to get much of a chance to experience the general atmosphere while I was there, as most students and faculty were tied up in classes (it was right before finals week, I can't even imagine how stressed everyone was) and unable to participate much in our interview activities. Could any current students comment on the general feel of the school? Are staff supportive, classmates collaborative, welcoming, and focused on group success, and so on? I'm basically totally sold on this school, I loved every second of being there. It would just love to hear some current student perspectives before I take that final leap and commit. Thanks so much!! :)
@StayingPositive2017 @youngkal

I seriously can't say enough good about the atmosphere at MSU. I loved MSU when I visited last year, but I still expected "vet school to be vet school" so there would probably be a great deal of competition between students and a sense from faculty that students need to "suck it up." BUT THAT IS SO, SO FAR FROM THE CASE. Our faculty on the whole is incredibly supportive of our success and treats us like colleagues. They have been as collaborative with us on the new curriculum as they can be, always taking feedback along the way. And students are also really kind to one another. For the most part, we don't talk about grades, and I really don't see people trying to "one up" each other at all. We have a class drive (as do the upper classes, I've heard) where we share study guides, pictures from lab, etc. to help each other get through. I could go on and on, but it's a really wonderful place that I feel incredibly privileged to be at. I expected vet school to be hard, and it is in a lot of ways, but the atmosphere/culture at MSU has made it a totally positive experience overall. I hope that helps! And also... Congratulations on your acceptance!

Reactions: 9 users
i'll chime in on this one too! haha i loved MSU for a couple of reasons... the biggest aspects i appreciated was: was how friendly everyone is, the student ran wildlife center (!!! this one is HUGE for me), the opportunity to work in the on campus clinic (AND get PAID), the diversity of cases within the different areas of the campus clinic, the 'houses' and the sense of community they encourage, the affordability of off campus living, and i personally loved the college town.

as far as curriculum goes, i feel that i would thrive in the new style they've implemented. It's like a healthy blend of didactic and hand-on clinical skills. I don't like strictly didactic learning- i learn best with hands on reinforcement and i feel that it helps prevent complete burn out. On the flip side, curriculums like Western (PBL) would be somewhat overwhelming for me in the beginning (though im sure i would get the hang of it at some point). also, by talking to a few students it became clear that they were able to maintain a healthy life outside of school and their class days weren't excruciatingly long. all in all, the consensus is that the new curriculum is fantastic and even some the older classes wish they had this style when they started!

some down sides for me: tuition cost (ouch), winters (BURRRR), i feel like maybe there isnt as much to do in the area (but i'm from SoCal so i guess its hard to compare), and the dean wasn't at my interview day so i felt a small disconnect on that part.
either way.... i CANT WAIT UNTIL MARCH! :highfive:

Thank you!! I love the idea of the new curriculum as well and I also left with a feeling that students there were really happy and experienced less stress than your average vet student. I'm such a self-directed learner and have never gotten much out of sitting in a lecture hall for 8 hours a day. I like to change things up, change the scenery, pause videos, etc. I just got a little concerned because our tour guide told us that the downside of the curriculum, since it was so new, there are times have classes in the cafeteria because the school hasn't figured out where to put them yet. Also, we also couldn't see any of the classrooms for some reason, so I guess I was just a little thrown and had a hard time picturing myself in a lecture since we didn't see. As an OOS student, I feel like it's a huge investment to make (esp. at a school with such a high OOS tuition like Michigan), so if anyone can comment on this, that would make me feel better!

Also, we also couldn't see any of the classrooms for some reason, so I guess I was just a little thrown and had a hard time picturing myself in a lecture since we didn't see.

I saw classrooms, but not the teaching hospital. Could anyone talk a bit about the hospital?