Michigan State University c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats everyone! My girlfriend got an interview too. Was wondering how likely it is to get your top choice in dates. Anyone have an idea?

Members don't see this ad.

My GPAs are less than 3.2 in all categories, but as long as GPA was over 3.0 they stopped considering that, as far as I'm aware. Collectively about 12,000 hours of experience in SA, LA, research, wildlife, and government (regulatory medicine and public health).

I have really similar numbers in terms of experience... I also think my letters of rec were strong.

You’re wild if you think half of the people on here aren’t here to see how they stack up and what the applicant pool is like.
You’re wild if you think it’s going to do anything productive. It’s just going to stress you out more or if you have more hours than someone and DON’T get an interview and they do, it’s going to make you mad. Chill out a bit bro. There’s nothing more you can do at this point to make your app better than someone else’s on here. Comparing stats can just make people who did get interviews but had lower hours feel like they didn’t deserve it because they didn’t have as many hours.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have never seen someone more inclined to have to respond to literally every post on a forum.
I reply because people try and unnecessarily compare themselves and cause themselves more stress than they need to be under. Chill out a bit maybe? Read a book? Take a hike? Those are all much more productive things for you to do than stress out about people getting interviews with more or less hours than you. MSU is not completely based on how many hours you have. Which, you should know, since you said you are aware of how they evaluate candidates.

Reactions: 1 users
Easyyyy people, we have nothing we can do but sit on our hands. For high achievers like us it's a difficult task after being so motivated and needing to do something at all times for so many years. Relax, catch up on that series on Netflix you've never let yourself watch and have a drink (if you can do that legally) well all hear when we hear

Reactions: 11 users
You’re wild if you think it’s going to do anything productive. It’s just going to stress you out more or if you have more hours than someone and DON’T get an interview and they do, it’s going to make you mad. Chill out a bit bro. There’s nothing more you can do at this point to make your app better than someone else’s on here. Comparing stats can just make people who did get interviews but had lower hours feel like they didn’t deserve it because they didn’t have as many hours.

Regardless of whether or not it’s justified or the right thing to do, it’s what a lot of people come on here for. Wouldn’t it be a lot more productive for you to let people ask whatever they want instead of policing every single thread (and Facebook post too btw) and correcting people?

The applications are out of the hands of the people who applied for this cycle, yes, but it’s still informative for people applying going forward. Gives people encouragement, ideas for future experiences to aim for, etc so wwhhhoooooo caaarreeeesssss

Reactions: 6 users
Regardless of whether or not it’s justified or the right thing to do, it’s what a lot of people come on here for. Wouldn’t it be a lot more productive for you to let people ask whatever they want instead of policing every single thread (and Facebook post too btw) and correcting people?

The applications are out of the hands of the people who applied for this cycle, yes, but it’s still informative for people applying going forward. Gives people encouragement, ideas for future experiences to aim for, etc so wwhhhoooooo caaarreeeesssss
Uh I don’t go on the APVMA Facebook page sooooooo

And it’s more productive for me to try and lessen some people’s stress when they try and compare themselves to others. Every applicant is different and schools that evaluate holistically don’t look solely at numbers. So there is no use in comparing.

Reactions: 1 users
The MSU admissions people who frequently monitor sdn care about how potential students are going to interact with their peers. So someone caaarreeeesssss

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some people here appear to need a reminder that it’s really not hard for admissions people to figure out who you are, especially when you use what’s probably your real name in your username.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Some people here appear to need a reminder that it’s really not hard for admissions people to figure out who you are, especially when you use what’s probably your real name in your user name.
My first name is pickle, middle initial "g", last name url... lol :p

My name is in my username but I'd never ever post anything I wouldn't want a school or a job to find. Some of my undergrad friends don't seem to think that jobs can find your "hidden" Instagram xD

My name is in my username but I'd never ever post anything I wouldn't want a school or a job to find. Some of my undergrad friends don't seem to think that jobs can find your "hidden" Instagram xD

My future employers are going to have to pay just like everyone else for my premium snapchat

My future employers are going to have to pay just like everyone else for my premium snapchat
The best part is if a future employer was to ever find you here, the only dirt they’d find on you is ski and Finn yelling at you for bailing on them at dinner :laugh:

So rude! :p

Look I gave them more! Hahaha

Reactions: 1 user
You don't think that's the kind of thing that would make an employer reconsider? He stood us up!
download.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
Some people here appear to need a reminder that it’s really not hard for admissions people to figure out who you are, especially when you use what’s probably your real name in your username.

Its not my real name but if they tried, they could match me to my app. Im convinced everything posted public or private can and will be found - mildly paranoid, mostly dont care

Attach47338_20181210_222546.gif

I wasn't prepared

I have never seen someone more inclined to have to respond to literally every post on a forum.

Thanks to those of you who responded to my question like a normal person and for sharing your stats. It is much appreciated.

I am literally living for this comment.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

This thread really blew up in the last few hours. Love it. Now I'm not just wandering around hoping someone said something new today... Everyday. :smuggrin:

Friendly reminder to be kind to each other. Don't tell people to leave the thread because you don't like the advice being given out. I know everyone is stressed out currently, but people stay on sdn to help current aapplicants

Reactions: 14 users
Also totally got the still waiting email, which is what I came here to post, and read about people who did get invites, which is not what I got...:wow:

Also I hope that MSU cares more than just the number of hours. I filled out a lot more things on that expensive VMCAS application :sendoff:

In an effort to get the thread back on track....

Applied close to the deadline, last initial is in the first third of the alphabet, and got the "thanks for the patience :thumbup: " email as well. Another potential factor is my app wasn't verified until several weeks after submission (maybe thanks to 5 transcripts? but more likely because of my last minute submission...)

Last edited:
Psssh who does that? Weirdos. That’s who. I would never

Reactions: 5 users
Quick shout-out to those of y’all who are dying in vet school/work but still take time on here to help out us pre-vets paranoia ridden lives this time of year!! Y’all are the true MVPs. Hope to meet some of you guys at interviews soon

Got the wait-and-see e-mail. Have over 7,000 hours of small animal veterinary experience, but minimal large animal and research. Congrats everybody that got the e-mail!

Edit: Does anybody know how they send out the invitations in waves? I.e, are those that received the invitations already considered "more competitive" applicants in their eyes?

Last edited:
I think the way they review applications is pretty random, but don't quote me on that.

But something I would like to add to the comparison discussion is that MSU cares about numbers just like any school as far as experience and such go, but they also care about how you wrote about those experiences. Did you write complete sentences in your experiences section? Did you highlight some unique aspects of those experiences in your essays? As much as seeing someone else's numbers might help (or hurt) your level of hope/confidence in your own stats, the presentation you put forth in your application matters and can also impact the decisions the admissions team makes.

Reactions: 8 users
Edit: Does anybody know how they send out the invitations in waves? I.e, are those that received the invitations already considered "more competitive" applicants in their eyes?

If I'm remembering correctly (which there is always a chance I may not be) then once you get to the interview stage, the interview is what matters. In which case, this really shouldn't matter.

I think the way they review applications is pretty random, but don't quote me on that.

But something I would like to add to the comparison discussion is that MSU cares about numbers just like any school as far as experience and such go, but they also care about how you wrote about those experiences. Did you write complete sentences in your experiences section? Did you highlight some unique aspects of those experiences in your essays? As much as seeing someone else's numbers might help (or hurt) your level of hope/confidence in your own stats, the presentation you put forth in your application matters and can also impact the decisions the admissions team makes.

I feel like THIS is extremely important! And most of us probably don’t hear it enough. Thank you for this... if I could ‘like’ it a million times, I would!