Michigan State University c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone who got accepted IS get their formal acceptance letter mailed to them yet?
I have not received mine yet. Anxiously awaiting though!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have advice for the MMI interview format? I feel as though I can’t really prepare much because you never know what they’ll ask but any tips would be helpeful!

Does anyone have advice for the MMI interview format? I feel as though I can’t really prepare much because you never know what they’ll ask but any tips would be helpeful!
Don’t forget that each room is it’s own separate thing. If you feel like you messed up in the last room, the next room won’t know. It’s a clean slate each room. Also remember to breathe. You were a good enough applicant to make it to the interviews, you belong to be there because the school liked you enough. They cannot take anything from you. Your experiences, your grades, who you are as a person. That’s yours and they can’t take it away. You got this.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Like ski said, I really miffed my first room. I felt calm, but once I went in the room and started talking I blanked and had to take a moment to breathe and think. I finished that room better than I started, but even if you completely bomb a room there are more that you can use to shine instead, and you can still get in (like me!)
Just show your complete train of thought, and take the time to think of everything that should be taken into consideration in every situation.
If it helps you imagine the interviewers are customers or someone that you are teaching. That puts you in a comfortable place to be explaining yourself.
And Good Luck!!

Reactions: 2 users
Do most people wear heels to the interview? It's going to be pretty cold this Friday and I'm not sure which shoes to go with lol.

Do most people wear heels to the interview? It's going to be pretty cold this Friday and I'm not sure which shoes to go with lol.
There were a few people that wore boots and changed into nicer shoes while inside too.

Don’t be like me, I wore heeled boots and died on the tour because my feet were on fire.

Reactions: 1 user
Last year I wore dress shoes. Side note, I'm a guy. For females, I saw heels and flats. I'd say dress in what you're more comfortable in!

I'm a female applicant interviewing on Friday and plan to wear a suit and nice flats/loafer type shoes (anti heels over here!) I wore the same thing to the OSU interview and it was acceptable/on par. It doesn't look like there will be snow on Friday in Michigan, so probably will not bring boots of any sort. Good luck everyone!

I canceled my interview since I got into another school so hopefully a SDN member gets my spot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 11 users
Does anyone know whether one is allowed to take notes during MMIs when formulating a response, even if said notes can't be referred to while speaking to the interviewer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know whether one is allowed to take notes during MMIs when formulating a response, even if said notes can't be referred to while speaking to the interviewer?
They did not allow paper or pencil for notetaking last year, but I don't think I would have ended up using it if I'd been able to

They did not allow paper or pencil for notetaking last year, but I don't think I would have ended up using it if I'd been able to

Interesting.

I feel like this interview format may be inherently biased against people with learning disabilities, such as ADHD. I think that everyone should be able to demonstrate an ability to think on their feet, but someone with ADHD or another learning disability may have difficulty keeping their thoughts coherent and linear. I feel as though being able to write notes while reading a prompt would be helpful, even if you weren't allowed to refer to those notes while in with the interviewer. As someone with ADHD, my brain often moves faster than I can speak, and I end up missing a lot of key points while trying to keep up with my thoughts. It helps if I can outline my thoughts, this way I can least see them lined up in some capacity, even if momentarily. I realize these things happen to everyone especially if they're nervous, but it's a bit different and sometimes intensified when you've got a learning disability.

Just some of my thoughts. Not bashing the MMI format or anything - I think it's a unique way to effectively evaluate applicants for sure.

Reactions: 4 users
Interesting.

I feel like this interview format may be inherently biased against people with learning disabilities, such as ADHD. I think that everyone should be able to demonstrate an ability to think on their feet, but someone with ADHD or another learning disability may have difficulty keeping their thoughts coherent and linear. I feel as though being able to write notes while reading a prompt would be helpful, even if you weren't allowed to refer to those notes while in with the interviewer. As someone with ADHD, my brain often moves faster than I can speak, and I end up missing a lot of key points while trying to keep up with my thoughts. It helps if I can outline my thoughts, this way I can least see them lined up in some capacity, even if momentarily. I realize these things happen to everyone especially if they're nervous, but it's a bit different and sometimes intensified when you've got a learning disability.

Just some of my thoughts. Not bashing the MMI format or anything - I think it's a unique way to effectively evaluate applicants for sure.
I definitely think you could ask the admissions team if you could use a piece of paper outside the room. If Donna grooms is still there and hasn't moved yet, she is such an amazing resource.

Interesting.

You can always check with them. They usually post that they can make some accommodations for those with disabilities, so worth seeing if that is an issue they could assist with.
During the MMI if you had any questions about the prompts the interviewer could read you the prompt again (or you might have been able to even look over a copy) or clarify anything, so if it helps you could still walk through the question slowly with them.

I emailed yesterday to ask and they said: "There will be no time to take notes. You will have just enough time to read the scenario before entering the room. It is fast paced."

It wasn't a "no" but said that we wouldn't have time. To me, 2 minutes seems like a fine amount of time to take a few points for talking. But, I was practicing last night not taking notes.

In response to your comment on ADD/ADHD, (1) thank you for sharing! I'm about to ramble here, but (2) I have ADD and working through these questions has definitely been an issue for me as well. For example, I'll be half way talking through a response and think of something else! To share what I've done to try and stay ahead of the issue in preparing for the interview, I've been trying to be very rigid in the way I come up with mental notes in advance of giving my answer (e.g., limit myself to 3 main points, and try and order them early in my 2 minute prep time). I've found this structure to be helpful in sorting my thoughts ahead of time. Like I will brain dump all the info I'd still need to answer the question, pick the best ones, then roll with it. (Disclaimer: I've never done this before, but according to YouTube, this is the strategy I'm going with, lol)

However, I know they want you to be human, so just do your best and let your mind do its thing! I think it acknowledging things "head on" (e.g., if you forget to mention something, saying, "I'd like to revisit another point", etc) would go a long way since it shows you are being cognizant of your thought processes and how the listener is following your logic.

In conclusion, I empathize with your concerns and agree that the process definitely doesn't lend itself to the strengths of someone with ADD/ADHD. I am rooting for you! I interview tomorrow, so hope to see some of you around!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited:
Hello all -

Can anyone provide additional insight on the curriculum "reinvention?" I've heard rumors of different aspects being added and going away. I'd love the thoughts of current and prospective students on how they think the new approach is (or isn't) working, what you like/don't like, or any information you think is pertinent when making a decision about where to go to school.

Thank you so much!

Hello all -

Can anyone provide additional insight on the curriculum "reinvention?" I've heard rumors of different aspects being added and going away. I'd love the thoughts of current and prospective students on how they think the new approach is (or isn't) working, what you like/don't like, or any information you think is pertinent when making a decision about where to go to school.

Thank you so much!
@StayingPositive2017 @youngkal even though I know paws will likely see this on her own :laugh:

With the ADD thing my vet mentor kinda tried to push me and train me to think on my feet. Its helped a good bit to have folks shoot questions and scenarios at you before hand to help with the " locking up" and 'blanking' we sometimes have. Make sure to take your meds at a time they will be working fully during the process.

I emailed yesterday to ask and they said: "There will be no time to take notes. You will have just enough time to read the scenario before entering the room. It is fast paced."
This was very true for me. It really was just enough time to walk to the next room, get a sip of water from the drinking fountain and take some nice deep breaths before reading the scenarios.

@StayingPositive2017 @youngkal even though I know paws will likely see this on her own :laugh:
Haha too true...

Hello all -

Thank you so much!
I am in class so I'll write more in a couple hours. FYI, they have a panel with current first years to discuss the curriculum after your interview so feel free to ask additional questions at that panel.

Based on all this, do you guys still think I should email them? I wanted to ask what potential accommodations they may offer, but now I'm a little afraid of the response, lol.

Based on all this, do you guys still think I should email them? I wanted to ask what potential accommodations they may offer, but now I'm a little afraid of the response, lol.
They did put on at the end of the last MMI reminder email I got to 'not hesitate to contact them with any questions' so I think you should be safe. Like Paws said you may not get back what you're hoping for but at least you won't regret not asking. They really are all super nice there.

I think it's fine to still email them and I'd encourage you to because you never know. That said, having been through the MMIs twice, I think their response to someone that it's fast paced and you won't have time is accurate. I recall there being just enough time to read the response, think about the answer, and then it was time to be in the room. I wouldn't have had time to take notes if I'd wanted to.

Hello all -

Thank you so much!

I'll let the c/o 2022 people answer this since they're actually in it and I'm just a casual observer. But since they haven't had a chance yet, I'd just like to say that whenever I ask the first years how it's going they all seem to like the curriculum. I think the only thing I've heard that I really wouldn't like is that I would actually have to go to things--but that's probably bc I've gotten so used to skipping all my lectures that going to class more sounds like a drag. :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Hello all -

Thank you so much!
So this is from the prospective of a student who really likes the curriculum and is doing well. I know there are other perspectives and experiences so n=1. That being said...

I really love the format change. We have three classes that are "year-long" but most classes (body system classes) only last 2-3 weeks. This means I have a midterm/final every weekish, but there is only one subject to be studying at a time. No cramming for an exam at the expense of another class with an exam several days later. This is probably my favorite part, three weeks and a final.

Prep work is done the night before and consists of videos, textbook readings, website exploration, research, etc, and often a pre-class quiz to test your prep. Class will have a short lecture maybe, but usually group projects, case discussions, in class clicker questions, etc. Sometimes the in class exercises are great and really cement the knowledge, sometimes they are a stretch or feel unhelpful or un-useful but I am sure that different people have different opinions on these experiences.

It can feel stressful at the beginning of the week as you take on new topics and get deep into a new system but by the end of the week I am usually feeling pretty good about the material. I use the weekends to catch up on any readings/prep work that LIFE maybe got in the way of completing during the week.

I am usually able to go grocery shopping, out of town, fun stuff on the weekends and don't find I'm stretched for too much time. I usually am at the college from 8ish-4:30 every day. Classes are usually only 3-5 hours of that time period and I use the rest for studying as I find I focus better if I'm not at home able to do (dishes, laundry, cleaning, netflix, etc, etc). In the evening I am home with my wife and baby and maybe have to do readings, the quiz etc if its a particularly heavy pre-load. I rarely stay up after 11 doing homework (unless i can't get to it until after 9 due to family obligations, etc).

The other great part of the courses only being 2-3 weeks, is that we schedule any big weekend trips for the weekend between courses. You are able to really let go and enjoy!

LMK if you have any other questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
I’ll also answer, when I’m out of class!

Do any IS students that got accepted have any advice about the interviews? Mine is on Feb 8th. I interviewed and was accepted to Western but their interview process seemed pretty relaxed.

The curriculum sounds like it would suit me IMMENSELY. It's essentially a macro-version of my study method, which is to do so in small chunks of time with frequent breaks instead of cramming for a long period of time all at once.

So this is from the prospective of a student who really likes the curriculum and is doing well. I know there are other perspectives and experiences so n=1. That being said...

I really love the format change. We have three classes that are "year-long" but most classes (body system classes) only last 2-3 weeks. This means I have a midterm/final every weekish, but there is only one subject to be studying at a time. No cramming for an exam at the expense of another class with an exam several days later. This is probably my favorite part, three weeks and a final.

Prep work is done the night before and consists of videos, textbook readings, website exploration, research, etc, and often a pre-class quiz to test your prep. Class will have a short lecture maybe, but usually group projects, case discussions, in class clicker questions, etc. Sometimes the in class exercises are great and really cement the knowledge, sometimes they are a stretch or feel unhelpful or un-useful but I am sure that different people have different opinions on these experiences.

It can feel stressful at the beginning of the week as you take on new topics and get deep into a new system but by the end of the week I am usually feeling pretty good about the material. I use the weekends to catch up on any readings/prep work that LIFE maybe got in the way of completing during the week.

I am usually able to go grocery shopping, out of town, fun stuff on the weekends and don't find I'm stretched for too much time. I usually am at the college from 8ish-4:30 every day. Classes are usually only 3-5 hours of that time period and I use the rest for studying as I find I focus better if I'm not at home able to do (dishes, laundry, cleaning, netflix, etc, etc). In the evening I am home with my wife and baby and maybe have to do readings, the quiz etc if its a particularly heavy pre-load. I rarely stay up after 11 doing homework (unless i can't get to it until after 9 due to family obligations, etc).

The other great part of the courses only being 2-3 weeks, is that we schedule any big weekend trips for the weekend between courses. You are able to really let go and enjoy!

LMK if you have any other questions!
I Iike this! The prep sounds very helpful indeed as I've seemed to do well in classes that do things that way.

Has any OOS applicant heard anything regarding interviews?
Im OOS and i havent heard anything yet

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do any IS students that got accepted have any advice about the interviews? Mine is on Feb 8th. I interviewed and was accepted to Western but their interview process seemed pretty relaxed.
You can see some of my tips above, but if you did well on your interview at Western you should do well with the MMI format too. The questions are just less about you and more about... Well anything else-ish. Lol
The structure is obviously different as well and you won't be chatting like you could there, but you can still relax and answer questions in the same way (most of the interviewers I had were very inviting and easy to respond to).

Also congrats on the acceptance!! I was an alternate there, so you got this!

I liked the MMIs, we signed a waiver not to discuss the prompts. But it was nice to have a fresh start in every room. There were some rooms that I definitely screwed up, but you get a fresh start in each room. I’d say to just relax and refocus yourself after every room. Try to focus on that room and not think about how you did in the previous one.

You really have to think on your feet. So what worked for me was not preparing at all. (This is only for me though, not sure about others). I felt like there was no real way for me to prepare without knowing what questions were going to be asked, so I just YouTubed MMI scenarios and watched like 4 videos the day before lol.

Try not to stress over it, just be yourself and be able to back your opinion up well, since there are no right or wrong answers. Hope that helps some, good luck!

The best advice I was ever given was just to be yourself and appropriately show your personality. I feel like the interviewers don’t want to hear something that sounds scripted or memorized.

New Curriculum:

As Paws said we typically have one class for 2-4 weeks. For these classes the homework each night is to watch/listen to mini lectures about the next days topic, along with some readings and maybe some problems to work through on your own ahead of time if you are an ambitious person. I am a pretty slow working, so unlike paws, I spend a lot of nights up later doing prep work #procrastination. At the end of the prepwork is a daily quiz that can be anywhere from like 3-10 questions.

In class time we work in group to answer questions about the topic, so instead of a lecture its a class discussion with different activities mixed in. We also have significant amounts of lab time (Anatomy/Dissections) and time in our BRAND NEW Clinical Skills Lab (CSL). In the CSL we learn a lot of different clinical applications, procedures and techniques. Some things we have learned: musculoskeletal palapations, neurological exams, eye exams, ear exams, skin exams, gait evaluation, skin biopsy, suturing, respiratory exams (pulse ox), venipuncture, ultrasounds, and much more.

There are a lot of clubs and outside opportunities to get in the hospital (Large Animal emergency team, small animal ICU shadowing, Emergency Rad Team, Student Operating Room Assistant).

Overall I really enjoy these shorter class, I feel like i am able to absorbe more of the information because I’m not doing it for 5 classes at a time. I also really like the hands on stuff!

Feel free to ask ANY questions!!

Reactions: 7 users
Rejected OOS, congratulations to everyone who got in!

OOS interview waitlisted. Probably will be removing myself as I got accepted into Western. Good luck everyone!

Rejected OOS! Good luck to y’all!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Same here, dont feel bad. My Experience was very high and apparently gpa doesn't matter so I will be curious to follow up. I still have three out
Yeah me too, we’ll have to wait some to ask, I think they said (at least) March so yay.

Yeah me too, we’ll have to wait some to ask, I think they said (at least) March so yay.
Its just kind of disheartening that since GPA doesn't matter I'm feeling like I didn't do enough. I feel like this cycle is going to be a bust.

OOS interview invite!

Reactions: 5 users
Its just kind of disheartening that since GPA doesn't matter I'm feeling like I didn't do enough. I feel like this cycle is going to be a bust.
I don't want to interject where I do not belong (I didn't apply to MSU) but what do you mean by "GPA doesn't matter"? I'm seriously wondering, not trying to be catty or get something started - I assure you that isn't my intent. Just genuine curiosity.

I don't want to interject where I do not belong (I didn't apply to MSU) but what do you mean by "GPA doesn't matter"? I'm seriously wondering, not trying to be catty or get something started - I assure you that isn't my intent. Just genuine curiosity.
After you pass the initial 3.0 in required courses they base your acceptance or invite off the rest of your application and your interview if you are invited to one.

After you pass the initial 3.0 in required courses they base your acceptance or invite off the rest of your application and your interview if you are invited to one.

I see. Well I can definitely understand the frustration with not getting an interview! Hang in there!

Rejected OOS :( kinda surprised as some have said with their lax on academics compared to other schools. I guess the 41.2% increase in applicants had quite the effect. Congrats to all who got interviews!