Midwest Dental Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PerioPlease

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Was it the letter they sent out about the dean?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted through the Reserved Admissions Program to UMKC dental school.
I have spent thousands ($5,000+) of dollars applying to dental school. This program allows you to 100% avoid the application process and you only have to get a 19 DAT and maintain 3.6 GPA. I'm not sure why you would put yourself through the application process if you are already accepted to a school.

At the end of the day, you will still be a dentist if you go to UMKC. I've been to the school several times and worked with some of the more recent alum. While it may not be the most stable situation, it is still a good school and you will be able to become a practicing dentist upon completion of the program.

My 2 cents...

To answer your question directly: Marquette, Louisville, and Creighton would be considered the Midwest, they are all top notch clinical schools in my book. I would have a hard time choosing one of those over the others. MOSDOH is also close to you, they have a very interesting relationship/set up in their clinic which I think is probably a really good experience for the students.

---I am not and have not been a student at any of these schools but I have been to all of them and I have spent quite a bit of time talking to students/alums from each school.

Last edited:
Like another poster mentioned. You go to 4 yrs dental school .... you come out a dentist. Patients don't care what school you went to nor do they care about students complaining about admin. Your success AFTER dental school is on YOU. Every time my daughter (junior HS) complains about a teacher ... She knows the look I give her. There are tons of people who like to complain, but only a few that will consider it a challenge to overcome.

If you're worried .... go to another dental school. Someone mentioned Creighton? Okay. During D1 my room mate failed too many classes and was kicked out of our "mid west" program (Univ. of Nebraska). Guess who accepted him? Creighton. Says a lot about Creighton's admission requirements. Maybe it's changed.

Reactions: 1 user
It's only 4 years of your life, and they fly by.

One more thing to point out, you are essentially guaranteed a spot at UMKC. You can apply all you want and go to all of the interviews ect, but you have no contract that you will be accepted to any other school if you meet a certain requirement. If I were given an opportunity as you have found yourself in, I would take it and not look back. You will not only be saving the money but also the headaches of applying and months/years (if you don't get in first try) of an unsure future.