Midwestern University MABS 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very few, as I hung out with the dental kids mostly. The ones I know had over a 500 MCAT and most of them were over a 3.4 in the program here. But that's a small sample of probably close 100 students applying.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thank you for the info!

Members don't see this ad.

Very few, as I hung out with the dental kids mostly. The ones I know had over a 500 MCAT and most of them were over a 3.4 in the program here. But that's a small sample of probably close 100 students applying.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hey, I'll be starting this fall and I had a few questions regarding the program. How are the first few weeks of school? Are there recorded lectures that we can go back to if we need further assistance or clarification? I believe I read somewhere that purchasing the textbooks are not necessary, is that true?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I'll be starting this fall and I had a few questions regarding the program. How are the first few weeks of school? Are there recorded lectures that we can go back to if we need further assistance or clarification? I believe I read somewhere that purchasing the textbooks are not necessary, is that true?
I only know about the Arizona campus, the downers grove one might be different.

So the first few weeks of school go by quick. You have orientation week which feels kind of long and then the next few weeks you are kind of just thrown in, so don't get complacent. You need to start fast especially if you are in the MA. After about 2-3 weeks of no tests you will start having tests every Monday and Friday until about the end of the quarter.

Physiology and Anatomy are both recorded but none of the other ones are. So if you are a person that needs to hear the lectures to do well you will need to attend them. They do allow you to audio record the lectures if you get the paperwork signed. I did this for a number of classes.

Textbooks are not necessary. I don't know anyone who really used them. If you do want them though, many are available online through the library or are available for use in the library.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

I have a phone interview to the Masters of Art in Biomedical Science Program at Glendale campus -- does anyone know what I can do to prepare for it? Any specific questions?

Thanks!!

Hi all!

I have a phone interview to the Masters of Art in Biomedical Science Program at Glendale campus -- does anyone know what I can do to prepare for it? Any specific questions?

Thanks!!

Hey don’t over stress the interview, my experience is that it will be very chill and informal. I would say make sure you have a reason of why you are applying to the program and why you think you need it to help you in your career. I think a lot of the interview will be the interviewer explaining the program and possibly the MBS program and knowing what you’re getting into before. My interviewer laid out all my options and gave me the pros and cons to each program and I felt like he tried to help me come up with a good plan for my goals. So don’t sweat it just be professional and know why you want to be part of the program
Best of luck

I only know about the Arizona campus, the downers grove one might be different.

So the first few weeks of school go by quick. You have orientation week which feels kind of long and then the next few weeks you are kind of just thrown in, so don't get complacent. You need to start fast especially if you are in the MA. After about 2-3 weeks of no tests you will start having tests every Monday and Friday until about the end of the quarter.

Physiology and Anatomy are both recorded but none of the other ones are. So if you are a person that needs to hear the lectures to do well you will need to attend them. They do allow you to audio record the lectures if you get the paperwork signed. I did this for a number of classes.

Textbooks are not necessary. I don't know anyone who really used them. If you do want them though, many are available online through the library or are available for use in the library.

I am in the AZ program. Thank you so much for the information :)

Awh I’m so glad to hear that!! I was also given the news today about my acceptance! Looking forward to being classmates

Hey! I tried messaging you, but the website did not allow me to message you. I am new to SDN so maybe I did something wrong on my part. Congrats on the acceptance by the way :).

Hey don’t over stress the interview, my experience is that it will be very chill and informal. I would say make sure you have a reason of why you are applying to the program and why you think you need it to help you in your career. I think a lot of the interview will be the interviewer explaining the program and possibly the MBS program and knowing what you’re getting into before. My interviewer laid out all my options and gave me the pros and cons to each program and I felt like he tried to help me come up with a good plan for my goals. So don’t sweat it just be professional and know why you want to be part of the program
Best of luck

Thanks much!! Did they ask any "tell me about yourself questions" or anything related to your resume? Also Did you hear back on the school after your interview?

Yeah no problem, the "tell me about yourself" was the probably the first question I was hit with. At the point I just described who I am and what my story is, and where I want to go. From that point he pretty much did most of the talking, which was very beneficial. I heard back from the school with acceptance about 5-7 days later if I am not mistaken.

do you take classes with med schools? also, do you think i would have a chance with a 3.1 cgpa and 2.9 s gpa?

Hey guys, I’m new to all this but i have a question with regards to their one year program. If I complete the MABS program with a 3.6 GPA and an MCAT above their standard deviation, am I guaranteed an interview for their DO school? I did see other programs but the IL campus is 30 minutes from where I live so it’ll be very convenient lol. I currently have a 3.1 GPA and a 507 MCAT for undergrad.

Hey guys, I’m new to all this but i have a question with regards to their one year program. If I complete the MABS program with a 3.6 GPA and an MCAT above their standard deviation, am I guaranteed an interview for their DO school? I did see other programs but the IL campus is 30 minutes from where I live so it’ll be very convenient lol. I currently have a 3.1 GPA and a 507 MCAT for undergrad.
Yes, thats how it was at Glendale for me when I applied last year. If you apply and interview - the faculty that you will interview with will explain it during the phone interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, thats how it was at Glendale for me when I applied last year. If you apply and interview - the faculty that you will interview with will explain it during the phone interview.

Thank you! I read on their website that you need at least a 2.75 GPA. For one of their required courses, Orgo lab, I got a D in. Do I need to retake this lab? It doesn’t specificy that you need a C or higher, but I’d rather know now.

Has anyone been accepted for fall 2019 yet?
I just applied-waiting for some updates.

Also, if anyone is a current student, how do you all like it?

That’s good to know.. how was your schedule during the program?

You definitely are gonna have to get used to the volume but its all doable.. you can look at the curriculum on the website, but the daily schedule is pretty reasonable. Most of us started by going to class, and now many just watch recorded lectures on our own time. Deff a good 9 month program to learn how to study and prep for a health professional school.
Can you tell us for which classes you would just listen to recorded lectures?

The only recorded lecture at AZ for me was physio and anatomy. None of the others were recorded at least for me last year.

The only recorded lecture at AZ for me was physio and anatomy. None of the others were recorded at least for me last year.

As long as they don't do in-cass quiz, the recorded anatomy and physio lectures help saving time for study.

Do you guys know how many people apply to this program and how many get accepted. I have a 3.2 GPA with DAT 21AA and 23 TS. I was wondering if what are my odds of being admitted?

What makes a competitive applicant? Like I know th minimum gpa mcat whatever requirements but do they expect you to have lots of shadowing or ECs or research,etc? Is it different between the two programs?

You'll have a great chance of getting in - many of my peers had similar stats, including myself! I'm at the Chicago campus for the 9 month MABS and they record all of our lectures (if there isn't tech-difficulty), except for Pharm and some electives. You'll (hopefully) quickly learn what's best for you. When things get real busy I prefer skipping class to study for exams/quizzes and catch up on lectures at x1.75 speed. All quizzes and exams are in a proctor monitored testing center on computers - to mimic board-style procedures.

Not sure if they put application/admitted numbers on the website, but theres around 90 MABS students and 20 MBS (2-year) students.

Hope this helps!

*edit*
there are mandatory case-based "workshops" once a week in biochem and physiology that will contribute to your grade
Thank you so much for these info. I have my interview this Monday. I honestly only want to go this school and hope to get in quickly. I just don't want to apply to any other school due to financial and time restrictions I have.

Last edited:
You'll have a great chance of getting in - many of my peers had similar stats, including myself! I'm at the Chicago campus for the 9 month MABS and they record all of our lectures (if there isn't tech-difficulty), except for Pharm and some electives. You'll (hopefully) quickly learn what's best for you. When things get real busy I prefer skipping class to study for exams/quizzes and catch up on lectures at x1.75 speed. All quizzes and exams are in a proctor monitored testing center on computers - to mimic board-style procedures.

Not sure if they put application/admitted numbers on the website, but theres around 90 MABS students and 20 MBS (2-year) students.

Hope this helps!

*edit*
there are mandatory case-based "workshops" once a week in biochem and physiology that will contribute to your grade
By the way, do you know how long after the interview I'd be hearing back about the admission?

For those of you that are currently in the program, did you guys have to apply through AADSAS in order to get the interview?

I’m not in the program but I got in last year and was going to attend, but yes you do have to go through AADSAS. I applied through AADSAS normally to MWU and other schools as I would’ve to dental school and then would have gone through this program. MWU would receive your AADSAS application and put it on hold to see your 2nd quarter grades to decide if they should offer you an interview or not. Through that time you can be getting interviews through other schools as well. Like others you applied to through AADSAS.

I’m not in the program but I got in last year and was going to attend, but yes you do have to go through AADSAS. I applied through AADSAS normally to MWU and other schools as I would’ve to dental school and then would have gone through this program. MWU would receive your AADSAS application and put it on hold to see your 2nd quarter grades to decide if they should offer you an interview or not. Through that time you can be getting interviews through other schools as well. Like others you applied to through AADSAS.
Okay thank you for your help! I'm still deciding if its worth it to apply.

I have read through many replies on this thread. I will have my interview coming up for the MABS as well. My DAT is old though. I bet i must take DAT again before program starts if i get accepted. (AA 19, and TS 18). I only wonder what if i wait for the 1st quarter down to take my DAT since the program will also provide student online DAT course from kaplan and enhance ability to get better on DAT? Any idea on this? Really appreciate though.

Hi all, I got accepted to the MA program about a month ago. Now that is getting close to the dental school application cycle, I was wondering if you guys have any suggestion for which other dental schools to apply to? I have been contacting afew schools and they are all discouraging me from applying to their programs since nothing will be changed on my application until mid-November when I send them my very first academic update.

Hi all, I got accepted to the MA program about a month ago. Now that is getting close to the dental school application cycle, I was wondering if you guys have any suggestion for which other dental schools to apply to? I have been contacting afew schools and they are all discouraging me from applying to their programs since nothing will be changed on my application until mid-November when I send them my very first academic update.

Tufts really likes the MA program and accepts a large portion of students with masters degrees.

I think the university of Michigan is good too with accepting master students. Anyone else has any suggestion!

Really appreciate that. i also got accepted into the MA program, at Glendale this fall. Any school might consider in the South area?

hey guys, so i was recently accepted into the MABS program at the IL campus. I was wondering if any current students that were hoping to get into the medical school could comment on how it went for them(course difficulty, interview, retaking mcat, etc.) and what the chances are looking like.

I just finished the MABS program at the IL campus. Going in, I had a solid MCAT but a crappy GPA (508, 2.85 respectively). The program is no joke, but definitely manageable. The faculty is there to teach and it makes a world of difference. I kept a 3.75 through two quarters and was given an interview and accepted without waitlist at their AZ campus. The faculty advisors are really helpful at breaking down your application and helping work on weak spots plus prepping for the interview. Just a fair warning though, very few people from my class matriculated into the med programs (8 of 45ish), but dental kids had far better outcomes as the school saves seats for them. Hope this helps, feel free to message if you have questions.

Reactions: 2 users
I just finished the MABS program at the IL campus. Going in, I had a solid MCAT but a crappy GPA (508, 2.85 respectively). The program is no joke, but definitely manageable. The faculty is there to teach and it makes a world of difference. I kept a 3.75 through two quarters and was given an interview and accepted without waitlist at their AZ campus. The faculty advisors are really helpful at breaking down your application and helping work on weak spots plus prepping for the interview. Just a fair warning though, very few people from my class matriculated into the med programs (8 of 45ish), but dental kids had far better outcomes as the school saves seats for them. Hope this helps, feel free to message if you have questions.
of those in your class aiming for med school, you said only 8 matriculated of 45. Did the most of them all qualify for the interviews and stuff? Also, what do you think really helped you stand out during the application process? did you already have a strong app other than your gpa?

of those in your class aiming for med school, you said only 8 matriculated of 45. Did the most of them all qualify for the interviews and stuff? Also, what do you think really helped you stand out during the application process? did you already have a strong app other than your gpa?
So a lot of people got waitlisted, and I’d venture to say at least a dozen are waiting until next cycle due to mcat scores. For CCOM, I only know of one person who got in from MABS this year, but I didn’t particularly ask everyone about their acceptances. I do know a majority of people got waitlisted despite good performance. For AZCOM, a few of us got in right away and some got in off the waitlist. My app was pretty good besides my gpa, and I felt like I nailed the interview.

It really varies year by year, but it seems like this year was rough for securing a spot. Overall the class average program gpa is around a 3.4 (according to the directors of the program), so it’s not like only a few people made the gpa cut.

So a lot of people got waitlisted, and I’d venture to say at least a dozen are waiting until next cycle due to mcat scores. For CCOM, I only know of one person who got in from MABS this year, but I didn’t particularly ask everyone about their acceptances. I do know a majority of people got waitlisted despite good performance. For AZCOM, a few of us got in right away and some got in off the waitlist. My app was pretty good besides my gpa, and I felt like I nailed the interview.

It really varies year by year, but it seems like this year was rough for securing a spot. Overall the class average program gpa is around a 3.4 (according to the directors of the program), so it’s not like only a few people made the gpa cut.
Thanks for the info! Yeah I was just wondering how it worked out in general. i got accepted to a regular biotechnology masters at a med school out of state that is cheaper but if i also get into midwestern i'm not really sure which one to pick. it seems thought that midwestern's program still gives you a good shot to prepare for being a good applicant though

I think it changes year to year. This year's MBS program was lucky because they had a different articulation agreement then the MAs did which included a guaranteed acceptance for AZCOM. Even with that, I have a few friends in the MBS program (Glendale campus) who are still not in their chosen program yet (AZCOM). The staff here seems not incredibly concerned for everyone with 3.6 and above but there's a lot of talk about what's going on behind the scenes that lead me to believe otherwise.

Even with the way things kind of ended up happening, I would still pick MA over MBS especially if you already have a paper published or have done a good amount of research experience. Just take everything the professors say with a grain of salt, don't get comfortable, and if you need to retake your MCAT/DAT do it now!

Hope that helps!
hey! so is the agreement different for MBS and MA students (at least at AZCOM)? because i thought it was just a guaranteed interview based on stats? i didnt know there was guaranteed acceptance?

I will be applying to dental schools soon while doing the MA program and so far I have 26 schools on my list. Am I crazy?

hey! so is the agreement different for MBS and MA students (at least at AZCOM)? because i thought it was just a guaranteed interview based on stats? i didnt know there was guaranteed acceptance?
No guaranteed admission. There was a guy here a while back who didn't make it in even with 4.0 master GPA until late summer.

I found this the other day. Looks legit: Log into Facebook | Facebook

No guaranteed admission. There was a guy here a while back who didn't make it in even with 4.0 master GPA until late summer.
Oh ok that’s what I thought! I guess I got confused when you said that MBS had a different articulation agreement. My bad!

There is no guaranteed acceptance with either program. They both abide by the same articulation agreement, which will grant you an interview at both campuses for various programs (Pharm, Dent, DO, Opt, PT, PA, etc.) for two cycles (the cycle you start the program in and the year after) if you meet minimum standards for applying to the program (found on the program specific web pages on Midwestern's website), maintain a 3.0+ GPA for the first two quarters (it might be first year for the two year program, I'm not entirely sure), have a test score for the program within one standard deviation of the program average from the year before (for AZCOM, the average MCAT the year before was a 508, so to qualify this year you needed a 506+) and stay on track to graduate/complete the program.

From firsthand experience, getting into the med program is a lot harder because the school doesn't save seats for Masters students and the class is pretty full by the time you qualify for the interview. However, Dental students have the benefit of having seats reserved for them, and you can get in as long as you have a decent DAT and can keep around a 3.2/3.3 for the program. Most people from my program that were pre-dental got in to one (or both) of the dental programs at Midwestern.

I would only recommend the two year track if you really need help on your app with extracurriculars, to significantly patch your GPA or if you need to retake your tests. If you are just missing one piece (besides the test score) to get you to the interview, do the MABS program. If you really need to boost your application with research, recommendations, or extracurriculars along with your GPA/Test, I'd go with the two year program.

There is no guaranteed acceptance with either program. They both abide by the same articulation agreement, which will grant you an interview at both campuses for various programs (Pharm, Dent, DO, Opt, PT, PA, etc.) for two cycles (the cycle you start the program in and the year after) if you meet minimum standards for applying to the program (found on the program specific web pages on Midwestern's website), maintain a 3.0+ GPA for the first two quarters (it might be first year for the two year program, I'm not entirely sure), have a test score for the program within one standard deviation of the program average from the year before (for AZCOM, the average MCAT the year before was a 508, so to qualify this year you needed a 506+) and stay on track to graduate/complete the program.

From firsthand experience, getting into the med program is a lot harder because the school doesn't save seats for Masters students and the class is pretty full by the time you qualify for the interview. However, Dental students have the benefit of having seats reserved for them, and you can get in as long as you have a decent DAT and can keep around a 3.2/3.3 for the program. Most people from my program that were pre-dental got in to one (or both) of the dental programs at Midwestern.

I would only recommend the two year track if you really need help on your app with extracurriculars, to significantly patch your GPA or if you need to retake your tests. If you are just missing one piece (besides the test score) to get you to the interview, do the MABS program. If you really need to boost your application with research, recommendations, or extracurriculars along with your GPA/Test, I'd go with the two year program.
thanks for the help! i got into the 2 year program so far but i definitely need to really boost my app. what do you mean by "getting into the med program is a lot harder because the school doesn't save seats for Masters students and the class is pretty full by the time you qualify for the interview"? if you are in the 2 year program wouldn't you be able to apply after your first year so your grades will be in by then?

thanks for the help! i got into the 2 year program so far but i definitely need to really boost my app. what do you mean by "getting into the med program is a lot harder because the school doesn't save seats for Masters students and the class is pretty full by the time you qualify for the interview"? if you are in the 2 year program wouldn't you be able to apply after your first year so your grades will be in by then?

What I mean is that the process for matriculating from the masters program to the medical program is harder than matriculating from masters to dental. The dental program admissions committee/dean have stated that some number of seats (30 or so if I recall correctly) are saved specifically for students wishing to matriculate into the dental program from the masters program.
That is not the case for the medical program, and by the time you qualify for an interview through the masters program, most of the medical seats have been filled, if you are applying the same cycle. You can't apply the same cycle as a two year masters student, so it may not be applicable to you. I'm only speaking from my experience as a one year masters student.

anyone here know what the program was like? specifically for 2 yr program? What i mean was how much studying did you typically do, were weekends just as hard too, how was your schedule like etc

I applied to MWU DO program last year and got accepted into the MABS program 2 weeks ago. I'm debating to whether to go to this program because I have a master already and my uGPA is 3.0 and mcat 490 and master gpa is 3.85, I was wondering if it is to best interest to attend this school or withdraw my acceptance and stay home and work on my mcat. I have retook this thing for like 3x and I think being this program might help me. At the same time, the interviewer said it is not a guaranteed and so it's kind of a deterrent. What is your advices guys. I need help to decide.

Hey guys! I will be applying to the M.A.B.S program in IL soon. I want to know what anyone recommends in terms of using PostBacCAS vs applying directly via the website. From what I saw, the website requires a CV be uploaded and since I decided to apply via website, does anyone have recommendations/tips on a good grad school CV? I have a complete CV but really want to make sure it is remarkable when they look it over. Anything helps! :) thanks

Hey guys! I will be applying to the M.A.B.S program in IL soon. I want to know what anyone recommends in terms of using PostBacCAS vs applying directly via the website. From what I saw, the website requires a CV be uploaded and since I decided to apply via website, does anyone have recommendations/tips on a good grad school CV? I have a complete CV but really want to make sure it is remarkable when they look it over. Anything helps! :) thanks
i applied via postbaccas because i used it to apply to other programs as well and it was easier having one app system. i'm pretty sure on postbacccas you had to still upload a CV. DM me if you need tips on the CV or if you want to send it to me because my CV had a huge part in getting my acceptance.

I applied to MWU DO program last year and got accepted into the MABS program 2 weeks ago. I'm debating to whether to go to this program because I have a master already and my uGPA is 3.0 and mcat 490 and master gpa is 3.85, I was wondering if it is to best interest to attend this school or withdraw my acceptance and stay home and work on my mcat. I have retook this thing for like 3x and I think being this program might help me. At the same time, the interviewer said it is not a guaranteed and so it's kind of a deterrent. What is your advices guys. I need help to decide.
don't do it. not worth it imp if you already have a masters with a high gpa. focus on the MCAT first because that honestly seems like the biggest red flag on your app whereas your grades are not.

Hi guys, I am recently admitted to the one-year Masters program at Midwestern in IL. I am pre-med. How are the classes so far? Do most MA pre-med students enroll into their DO program in the past?