Midwestern University MABS 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It took about 3 days for me to get my interview invite. I had applied to their DMD program and just emailed to have my info transferred to MA Program. This is something I learned after started working on the application and wasted me a lot of time!

Members don't see this ad.

I got an phone interview invite to the Glendale one! can those who had the interview tell me what it's like? also what's my chance of getting in just knowing that I got an interview? like do they decline students who are offered an interview?

Hi all,

How long was the turnaround time after you submitted your app?

Applied to MWU-AZ for the MA. My final documents got to them around late March, perhaps the 28th. Got an interview invitation on the 30th. Did the phone interview a four or five days later and I want to say about 10 days later I got a physical letter saying I got in. No phone call, no email.

I got an phone interview invite to the Glendale one! can those who had the interview tell me what it's like? also what's my chance of getting in just knowing that I got an interview? like do they decline students who are offered an interview?

The interview had some very basic/expected questions like,
"How'd you hear about our program?"
"Why our program?"
"What's your science/cumulative GPA like?
"What's your DAT score like?"

and then the rest of the interview is basically a background on the program and room for questions you'd like to ask the interviewer.

All in all it was more of a casual conversation. I'd recommend coming up with good reasons to explain things that you may "lacking" in.

As to your other questions, I have no idea.

Good luck! PM me if you'd like more info.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we have to buy a laptop through the school when you start Medical school at Midwestern ? I am planning on buying a laptop for the MABS program but I don’t want to get a good one and then have to buy another on each through the school in a year.

Recently interviewed and got accepted into the MA Biomedical Sciences program at the Glendale campus.

Is there a sort of Facebook group or something for us?

Congrats! I believe it's called "Midwestern MA/MBS '18 & MBS '19 - Glendale"

Does anyone know if we have to buy a laptop through the school when you start Medical school at Midwestern ? I am planning on buying a laptop for the MABS program but I don’t want to get a good one and then have to buy another on each through the school in a year.

As of this year:

DO students don't get a laptop through school.

Dental students are "given" a Macbook Pro. However, the cost is included in their tuition. If you don't want it, you are allowed to not open it during the first day of class when they lead you through the set-up process. You can try re-selling it yourself. Unfortunately, you cannot get a refund through Apple.

Anyone looking for a roommate at the IL campus? Please message me! :)

I am currently in the 2 year program (1 year to go), pre-dental. If you have questions please feel free to PM me or post on here and I will try to answer anything that I can. :) good luck everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! I believe it's called "Midwestern MA/MBS '18 & MBS '19 - Glendale"

I joined the campus wide Midwestern group, but I'm unable to find this one. (Tried a bunch of similar search strings too.) If possible could you pm me a link?

I joined the campus wide Midwestern group, but I'm unable to find this one. (Tried a bunch of similar search strings too.) If possible could you pm me a link?
That's the group for the current set of MAs and 1st year MBS students. I'm not sure if your group has a Facebook yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is anyone looking for a roommate for the downers grove program ?

I am currently in the 2 year program (1 year to go), pre-dental. If you have questions please feel free to PM me or post on here and I will try to answer anything that I can. :) good luck everyone.
How do you feel overall about the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you feel overall about the program?
I like it. Though I like research. One thing I can say though is study hard and study early. The first quarter you have weeks of 2 major tests and the MA includes anatomy tests so for about 6 weeks straight I had two tests a week plus quizzes. The first couple weeks though seem slow but hit it hard.

I like it. Though I like research. One thing I can say though is study hard and study early. The first quarter you have weeks of 2 major tests and the MA includes anatomy tests so for about 6 weeks straight I had two tests a week plus quizzes. The first couple weeks though seem slow but hit it hard.

Thank you, are you using the textbooks along with the PowerPoints?

Thank you, are you using the textbooks along with the PowerPoints?
No. Though most of the lectures for the masters program aren't recorded. Some of the powerpoints can't be well understood without attending the class. So if the book might be useful for you there but I dont know anyone in either program that really uses the books. Also a lot of the books are available online through the library.

Do you need a personal statement for this program if you apply through their application site? Or is it just a short question response (program specific, 'how can this program help you achieve your goals, etc)? Mine isn't quite finished yet but if not required I'd like to submit!

Do you need a personal statement for this program if you apply through their application site? Or is it just a short question response (program specific, 'how can this program help you achieve your goals, etc)? Mine isn't quite finished yet but if not required I'd like to submit!
Last year they required a personal statement

Hi guys! So I created a Fb page for the IL MABS program. Facebook search Midwestern University MABS-IL 2018-2019 SDN won't let me add the link.

Is there a Fb page for the Glendale one?

@ninaz007 Hey do you think you could convert the Fb page for the IL MABS program from a page to a group?
I could do it myself but I don't want to steal your glory :)

Created a fb group for the AZ class! Search Midwestern University MABS-AZ 18-19. Feel free to add yourselves!

Created a fb group for the AZ class! Search Midwestern University MABS-AZ 18-19. Feel free to add yourselves!

@ninaz007 Hey do you think you could convert the Fb page for the IL MABS program from a page to a group?
I could do it myself but I don't want to steal your glory :)
Hi YES! I will google how to do it and do it haha

Hi guys, I was accepted to the 2-year MBS program at MWU-IL campus, however, I have committed to a different program so my seat will be given to someone else deserving of this program! :) wish you all the best of luck!

Hi guys, I was accepted to the 2-year MBS program at MWU-IL campus, however, I have committed to a different program so my seat will be given to someone else deserving of this program! :) wish you all the best of luck!

I'm on the waitlist and really really really want to get in since I'm an IL resident, crossing my fingers that I take your spot :drowning:

Questions for those that have already done the MABS program in Glendale or anyone that can answer: when do we register for classes, does everyone take the same thing? I wanna know because i wanna put on my dental applications the courses i will be taking in the fall. Also some schools require anatomy and i havent taken it but i wanna put in the courses so that i can let them know i will be taking it in the fall. Im trying to fina an advisor i can ask but idk who to email. Thanks for the help!

You are going to be preregistered for your classes. You won't actually do any registering except for electives.

MBS: molecular cellular biology, biochemistry and physiology I

MA: everything above plus anatomy and intro capstone reseach

There are a couple other for mbs that are research based. This is assuming nothing changes from this last year.
Questions for those that have already done the MABS program in Glendale or anyone that can answer: when do we register for classes, does everyone take the same thing? I wanna know because i wanna put on my dental applications the courses i will be taking in the fall. Also some schools require anatomy and i havent taken it but i wanna put in the courses so that i can let them know i will be taking it in the fall. Im trying to fina an advisor i can ask but idk who to email. Thanks for the help!

I have two questions:
1. if you are applying to dental school on AADSAS this summer, are you planning on putting Midwestern's MABS under academic history? if so, what program do you put? I have an option to choose Midwestern University but there is no option for MABS.
2. should I submit my application on June 5, or wait till after I retake my DAT on July 30? my first dat is only a 16AA so I don't want them to just dismiss my application.
3. is there a way I can let every school know that I am retaking my DAT on July 30?
THANKS YALL!

I have two questions:
1. if you are applying to dental school on AADSAS this summer, are you planning on putting Midwestern's MABS under academic history? if so, what program do you put? I have an option to choose Midwestern University but there is no option for MABS.
2. should I submit my application on June 5, or wait till after I retake my DAT on July 30? my first dat is only a 16AA so I don't want them to just dismiss my application.
3. is there a way I can let every school know that I am retaking my DAT on July 30?
THANKS YALL!

I am also going to be a re-applicant...
For this master program, you can add midwestern under academic history, for degree- choose master and still in progress. It also asks for start and end date so schools will see that.

In terms of waiting to submit before/ after retaking the DAT— it’s really depend on each school. Some will review your app if your old scores meet their requirement. Some will wait for the new ones. But both will show up on your application. So it’s really up to you if you want to wait or submit right away. Good luck!

I am also going to be a re-applicant...
For this master program, you can add midwestern under academic history, for degree- choose master and still in progress. It also asks for start and end date so schools will see that.

In terms of waiting to submit before/ after retaking the DAT— it’s really depend on each school. Some will review your app if your old scores meet their requirement. Some will wait for the new ones. But both will show up on your application. So it’s really up to you if you want to wait or submit right away. Good luck!
If I go ahead and do this on my app, my transcript entry section requires me to add a quarter. Should I go ahead and add classes that we will be taking in MABS for the fall?

Thanks!

Yeah since this is future course work.
If I go ahead and do this on my app, my transcript entry section requires me to add a quarter. Should I go ahead and add classes that we will be taking in MABS for the fall?

Thanks!

What did you go ahead and enter for the electives?
The only elective that is sometimes taken fall quarter is anatomy if you are in the MBS (2 year). Typically though they recommend against electives that first quarter because of how hard the course work is.

The only elective that is sometimes taken fall quarter is anatomy if you are in the MBS (2 year). Typically though they recommend against electives that first quarter because of how hard the course work is.

Oh i see! Thank you!

I got accepted to this program. I only see 5 people in the fb group. Is that right?

My roommate and I are looking for another female student to share a 3 bed/2 bath apartment for the Glendale campus. We want to do a 9/10 lease since the program ends in May, 2019. We are from CA (Glendale/ LA area) ... Please PM me if you are interested!

Hey, so I got admitted into the two year program in Illinois. I wanted to know if anyone knows how many people from this program get accepted into the DO/Dental school? I know there is a interview but how many actually get an offer from Midwestern?

Hey, so I got admitted into the two year program in Illinois. I wanted to know if anyone knows how many people from this program get accepted into the DO/Dental school? I know there is a interview but how many actually get an offer from Midwestern?
While I can't speak for the Illinois campus I just heard that the MBS in AZ went 17/17 people getting into their program.

While I can't speak for the Illinois campus I just heard that the MBS in AZ went 17/17 people getting into their program.
Oh wow, so of the 17 did any of them have to change path? I heard for example you get the interview for dental, and if you don't get in they tell you to try somerhsom easier like pharmacy.

I don't think so. I've never heard that since I've been here.... Granted the 17 is the number that made it through the 2 years and applied. Some quit the program or didn't apply.
Oh wow, so of the 17 did any of them have to change path? I heard for example you get the interview for dental, and if you don't get in they tell you to try somerhsom easier like pharmacy.

To add some MA stats into the mix only 12 people got into dental and 8 got into the DO program out of 100+ people applying to both programs. Although they can still let some of us into the DO program, a lot of the dental students got screwed because the DAT requirements changed mid program.

Last year the stats were incredible for entry to the med and dental school with most everyone getting in but it doesn’t look like that’s going happen this year. Multiple people got into med school last year with a 3.0 in the MA/MBS program and less than a 500 MCAT. This year people with 4.0s in the program and MCAT scores within the standard deviation requirements are still waitlisted. It seems like they’re really focused on your MCAT score and not your performance in the program which is the exact opposite of what the advisors tell you.

My recommendation is to retake the MCAT now if your anything less than 505 so that your not stuck with an unexpected gap year and $70k worth of loans you need to figure out how to start paying off.

Feel free to message me with any specific questions.

Hey,
I just applied to the MABS program in Arizona and was wondering how long it took people from when their application was complete to hear anything from the school?

To add some MA stats into the mix only 12 people got into dental and 8 got into the DO program out of 100+ people applying to both programs. Although they can still let some of us into the DO program, a lot of the dental students got screwed because the DAT requirements changed mid program.

Last year the stats were incredible for entry to the med and dental school with most everyone getting in but it doesn’t look like that’s going happen this year. Multiple people got into med school last year with a 3.0 in the MA/MBS program and less than a 500 MCAT. This year people with 4.0s in the program and MCAT scores within the standard deviation requirements are still waitlisted. It seems like they’re really focused on your MCAT score and not your performance in the program which is the exact opposite of what the advisors tell you.

My recommendation is to retake the MCAT now if your anything less than 505 so that your not stuck with an unexpected gap year and $70k worth of loans you need to figure out how to start paying off.

Feel free to message me with any specific questions.

I appreciate the information. So am I better off in the two year program or should I apply to the 1 year next year? And yes I heard they changed the required which screwed over many people.
I heard the new standard deviation will be way higher for both Dental and Medical program.

I appreciate the information. So am I better off in the two year program or should I apply to the 1 year next year? And yes I heard they changed the required which screwed over many people.
I heard the new standard deviation will be way higher for both Dental and Medical program.
The two year program typically percentage wise does better at placing people but you are adding a year and more debt. A lot of it depends on your stats honestly. The better your stats the better it is to do the MA.

I think it changes year to year. This year's MBS program was lucky because they had a different articulation agreement then the MAs did which included a guaranteed acceptance for AZCOM. Even with that, I have a few friends in the MBS program (Glendale campus) who are still not in their chosen program yet (AZCOM). The staff here seems not incredibly concerned for everyone with 3.6 and above but there's a lot of talk about what's going on behind the scenes that lead me to believe otherwise.

Even with the way things kind of ended up happening, I would still pick MA over MBS especially if you already have a paper published or have done a good amount of research experience. Just take everything the professors say with a grain of salt, don't get comfortable, and if you need to retake your MCAT/DAT do it now!

Hope that helps!

I think it changes year to year. This year's MBS program was lucky because they had a different articulation agreement then the MAs did which included a guaranteed acceptance for AZCOM. Even with that, I have a few friends in the MBS program (Glendale campus) who are still not in their chosen program yet (AZCOM). The staff here seems not incredibly concerned for everyone with 3.6 and above but there's a lot of talk about what's going on behind the scenes that lead me to believe otherwise.

Even with the way things kind of ended up happening, I would still pick MA over MBS especially if you already have a paper published or have done a good amount of research experience. Just take everything the professors say with a grain of salt, don't get comfortable, and if you need to retake your MCAT/DAT do it now!

Hope that helps!
I appreciate the help. Hopefully the policy doesn't change to be against our favors