Midwestern University MABS 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I appreciate the help. Hopefully the policy doesn't change to be against our favors

The only policy change rumblings that I have heard from dental is that they are considering requiring MAs to finish their program. For a lot of years a number of MAs would drop the program after getting in and I dental doesn't like seeing that so they are considering making it a requirement for matriculation.

The only thing after that is just hoping the DAT for the incoming class doesn't go up, if it does then so will the requirement to get in. :/

Members don't see this ad.

The only policy change rumblings that I have heard from dental is that they are considering requiring MAs to finish their program. For a lot of years a number of MAs would drop the program after getting in and I dental doesn't like seeing that so they are considering making it a requirement for matriculation.

The only thing after that is just hoping the DAT for the incoming class doesn't go up, if it does then so will the requirement to get in. :/
If they drop out after getting it, doesn't that mean that they don't get the MA degree? Why would you do that? I understand not wanting to be in the program after getting into dental school but that that means you are spending >40k for no degree?

If they drop out after getting it, doesn't that mean that they don't get the MA degree? Why would you do that? I understand not wanting to be in the program after getting into dental school but that that means you are spending >40k for no degree?
You dont have to go to classes and you dont pay for the spring quarter. Those are the biggest benefits.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
There may be a few changes too because one of the main admissions people left for a different job in march. I am assuming that they will fill that position this summer. That person may have some influence over the direction they are going.

There may be a few changes too because one of the main admissions people left for a different job in march. I am assuming that they will fill that position this summer. That person may have some influence over the direction they are going.

oh thats alarming. Are there any other things that you think we should keep in mind as we start the MA program? Anything you wished you wouldve known when you started?

oh thats alarming. Are there any other things that you think we should keep in mind as we start the MA program? Anything you wished you wouldve known when you started?

I am in the 2 year, so I will actually be applying this cycle as well. Everything I can say more or less comes from me so take it with a grain of salt as I do not sit on the committee. I also really only know what goes on in dental. I have no idea how AZCOM or PA or any of the others work or their stats.

The master's students do not typically get interviews until March. So Midwestern has already sent out acceptances and most of the time they overfill the class knowing that some people are going to go elsewhere for a cheaper option. This, to my understanding, is partly what affected this years group. They had a large number of people accept right away. This lowered the number of available spaces for master's students. Many are waitlisted and I would guess this summer will see another batch get in. I know one D2 who got accepted a week before classes started. Assuming the agreement doesn't change, a 3.0 will get you an interview and 3.6 will get you a seat pending availability and an interview.

The big take-homes here, make sure your grades are ideally above that 3.6 and your DAT is over the stdev. If they are not you end up giving more chances of being waitlisted or rejected. Some years they have taken people with master's GPA in the 2.8 range, every year is different depending on the group and number of seats. The other thing that I have heard from previous people who were accepted was to get involved in some of the volunteer things on campus (UMOM, Give Kids a Smile, H.O.M.E., etc...)

Grades are big for dental as they are a pretty good predictor of how you will do in the program and on boards. Once you get closer to interview time make sure you do some mock interviews. I have heard some horror stories over the past few years of people blowing interviews by saying stupid things.

Reactions: 1 users
I am in the 2 year, so I will actually be applying this cycle as well. Everything I can say more or less comes from me so take it with a grain of salt as I do not sit on the committee. I also really only know what goes on in dental. I have no idea how AZCOM or PA or any of the others work or their stats.

The master's students do not typically get interviews until March. So Midwestern has already sent out acceptances and most of the time they overfill the class knowing that some people are going to go elsewhere for a cheaper option. This, to my understanding, is partly what affected this years group. They had a large number of people accept right away. This lowered the number of available spaces for master's students. Many are waitlisted and I would guess this summer will see another batch get in. I know one D2 who got accepted a week before classes started. Assuming the agreement doesn't change, a 3.0 will get you an interview and 3.6 will get you a seat pending availability and an interview.

The big take-homes here, make sure your grades are ideally above that 3.6 and your DAT is over the stdev. If they are not you end up giving more chances of being waitlisted or rejected. Some years they have taken people with master's GPA in the 2.8 range, every year is different depending on the group and number of seats. The other thing that I have heard from previous people who were accepted was to get involved in some of the volunteer things on campus (UMOM, Give Kids a Smile, H.O.M.E., etc...)

Grades are big for dental as they are a pretty good predictor of how you will do in the program and on boards. Once you get closer to interview time make sure you do some mock interviews. I have heard some horror stories over the past few years of people blowing interviews by saying stupid things.
Hi! thank you for the information! Any input on which electives are best to balance with the core curriculum? Also, are you at the IL or AZ campus?

Hi! thank you for the information! Any input on which electives are best to balance with the core curriculum? Also, are you at the IL or AZ campus?
Happy to help any way that I can. I am at the AZ campus. It depends on whether or not you are in the MA or MBS (2 year).

I wouldn't take an elective in the fall if you are MA. I liked taking the anatomy as an elective as a MBS. It is a very hard class though.

The winter again as an MA I don't know if I would take an elective. Winter is an extremely hard quarter. The MBS has a little bit more wiggle room with fewer classes. As an MBS you can take any of the classes that aren't in your sequence. Though again I do not know if I would recommend this as the classes are hard and you will need to start getting involved in research.

The spring is the time to take electives, in my opinion. The main electives here are oncology, embryology and neuroscience. Neuroscience I would say is hardest of the three but is also a class you will see in dental. Embryology is probably the "safest" course and interesting. Oncology is a specific course. If you are interested in cancer then this is a great course and getting an A is definitely possible.

As an MBS student you can take some of the courses in year 2 if you want to take any of the classes with a much lighter load.

Some of these electives flux from year to year so some may not be there for you next year but based on what was available this year that is my best advice. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all, do y'all think I should apply to this program?? My application is done but my stats aren't so good. 2.8 GPA and 478 MCAT. Alot of research and shadowing hours. I honestly need this program to give me a shot to redeem myself but im so scared of getting rejected. Is it worth it?

Hey y'all, do y'all think I should apply to this program?? My application is done but my stats aren't so good. 2.8 GPA and 478 MCAT. Alot of research and shadowing hours. I honestly need this program to give me a shot to redeem myself but im so scared of getting rejected. Is it worth it?
No matter what, you will have to retake your MCAT. So I would try and get that done this summer if you can. Given how strong the recent classes have been I would anticipate needing a 500 minimum. As long as you are ready work this program is a good option and with lower stats gives you a much better chance, but nothing is a guarantee.

No matter what, you will have to retake your MCAT. So I would try and get that done this summer if you can. Given how strong the recent classes have been I would anticipate needing a 500 minimum. As long as you are ready work this program is a good option and with lower stats gives you a much better chance, but nothing is a guarantee.

How does applying with lower stats give you better chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha it doesn't but if you have lower stats this program will better your chances of getting in.

How does applying with lower stats give you better chance?
Haha it doesn't but if you have lower stats this program will better your chances of getting in.

Hoping I get accepted into the program, I was planning on retaking the MCAT the winter/spring of my first year and send in my stuff for medical school that summer, before the start of my second year. What do you think?? UGH

Hoping I get accepted into the program, I was planning on retaking the MCAT the winter/spring of my first year and send in my stuff for medical school that summer, before the start of my second year. What do you think?? UGH
I can only speak to the arizona 2 year but I am not sure that will be your best bet. Winter is a hard quarter and spring isn't much easier. You would be better served trying to retake during the summer between 1st and 2nd year if you are going to wait it out. Given your current GPA, getting a solid master's GPA will be important for you.

Just make sure that when you talk to potential PIs that you explain to them you will need time to study for the MCAT. Some aren't going to be super fond of the idea and some will be more than happy to give you the time.

I can only speak to the arizona 2 year but I am not sure that will be your best bet. Winter is a hard quarter and spring isn't much easier. You would be better served trying to retake during the summer between 1st and 2nd year if you are going to wait it out. Given your current GPA, getting a solid master's GPA will be important for you.

Just make sure that when you talk to potential PIs that you explain to them you will need time to study for the MCAT. Some aren't going to be super fond of the idea and some will be more than happy to give you the time.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. But do you think I have a chance at getting accepted? Given my low stats? I provided them a letter explaining my reasons so I hope they take it into consideration

Yeah, I see what you're saying. But do you think I have a chance at getting accepted? Given my low stats? I provided them a letter explaining my reasons so I hope they take it into consideration

I think you have a chance. The program is built to give students who messed up a second chance.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I got waitlisted today or put on the “alternate list” for the MABS. I was wondering if anyone had an information regarding this process and my chances at possibly getting into the program. I have a sGPA of 3.1 and cGPA of 3.3, also retaking my DAT this summer.

Thanks!

hey! my stats are not that great but sGPA: 2.80; cGPA: 3.03; I submitted and was accepted in a span of about 3 weeks.

Congrats for the acceptance! You're giving me hope since I have similar stats. What this the AZ or IL campus? I applied 3 weeks ago and had my interview a few days ago. I'm anxiously waiting!

Hey guys! I got waitlisted today or put on the “alternate list” for the MABS. I was wondering if anyone had an information regarding this process and my chances at possibly getting into the program. I have a sGPA of 3.1 and cGPA of 3.3, also retaking my DAT this summer.

Thanks!
Is this for the AZ or IL campus? 1 or 2 year? I have similar stats to you and was previously put on their alternate list last year in July. From what I know their waitlist is unranked (kinda odd).

Is this for the AZ or IL campus? 1 or 2 year? I have similar stats to you and was previously put on their alternate list last year in July. From what I know their waitlist is unranked (kinda odd).

The AZ campus and the 9 month program!

I recently got in to the MA program at the Arizona campus. It’s the one year program. How do schools view the one-year program versus the two year program? I feel like it’s kind of expensive to spend that money when schools don’t view the program as reputable

Thank you! Does the school contact you through email regarding acceptance? I've heard that students can find out quicker through their portal.
The school contact you through email or phone call. I received a phone call Within two hours of my interview to let me know if my acceptance.

I recently got in to the MA program at the Arizona campus. It’s the one year program. How do schools view the one-year program versus the two year program? I feel like it’s kind of expensive to spend that money when schools don’t view the program as reputable

Midwestern considers both programs pretty highly. According to their head of admissions, for dental, about 20-30 spots every year go to the master's students. The 2-year program so far as I know has placed all but 2 in the last 3 years and 1 of those is reapplying this year and shouldn't have a problem getting in.

The MA aren't on campus very long and there are a lot of them. This kind of makes it harder for them to make the same relationships and connections. There is also the increased course load that can make some of them struggle. Typically though you are looking at an 80%+ chance of getting in. That number may fluctuate this year a little bit depending on how many MAs get in this summer. Last year I know an MA who got in 1 week before classes started.

The biggest thing for either group though is to make sure you stay away from borderline in both the GPA and the DAT.

Midwestern considers both programs pretty highly. According to their head of admissions, for dental, about 20-30 spots every year go to the master's students. The 2-year program so far as I know has placed all but 2 in the last 3 years and 1 of those is reapplying this year and shouldn't have a problem getting in.

The MA aren't on campus very long and there are a lot of them. This kind of makes it harder for them to make the same relationships and connections. There is also the increased course load that can make some of them struggle. Typically though you are looking at an 80%+ chance of getting in. That number may fluctuate this year a little bit depending on how many MAs get in this summer. Last year I know an MA who got in 1 week before classes started.

The biggest thing for either group though is to make sure you stay away from borderline in both the GPA and the DAT.
Oh yeah forgot to mention I’m going DO route. Is this page for dentals only or is there a separate page for DO MA

Oh yeah forgot to mention I’m going DO route. Is this page for dentals only or is there a separate page for DO MA
I don't think so. I know there are a number of DOs who have commented on this page. I just don't have great information on the DO tract students. I do know that they are expecting the MCAT score needed to increase this next year, so if you are flirting with that 500 number it might be worth talking with the DO school admissions about your application.

I received a letter in the mail earlier this week saying that I was placed on the alternate list. I have previously applied and was placed on the alternate list then, too. Since then though, both my science GPA and overall GPA went up a good amount. I have gained more research, volunteer and shadowing experience. I believe my essays were better this time around. Two out of my three letters of recommendation were from physicians that graduated or are affiliated with Midwestern. My interview went well, overall. I will be calling tomorrow to inquire on what I can do from here because I really want to attend this school and the program.

I received a letter in the mail earlier this week saying that I was placed on the alternate list. I have previously applied and was placed on the alternate list then, too. Since then though, both my science GPA and overall GPA went up a good amount. I have gained more research, volunteer and shadowing experience. I believe my essays were better this time around. Two out of my three letters of recommendation were from physicians that graduated or are affiliated with Midwestern. My interview went well, overall. I will be calling tomorrow to inquire on what I can do from here because I really want to attend this school and the program.

Were you able to get a hold of them and what you can do from here on out?

Were you able to get a hold of them and what you can do from here on out?

Yes, I spoke with them and they ultimately informed me that it's a waiting game for those individuals on the alternate list. As of earlier this week, they informed me that there were 17 students on the wait list.

A few days ago, I e-mailed them a letter of intent restating why I wanted to attend their program and today I got the news that I was accepted into their program! :). So, it's completely possible to get off the list!

Yes, I spoke with them and they ultimately informed me that it's a waiting game for those individuals on the alternate list. As of earlier this week, they informed me that there were 17 students on the wait list.

A few days ago, I e-mailed them a letter of intent restating why I wanted to attend their program and today I got the news that I was accepted into their program! :). So, it's completely possible to get off the list!

Awh I’m so glad to hear that!! I was also given the news today about my acceptance! Looking forward to being classmates

I see a lot of numbers being thrown around, but does anyone have any concrete numbers of people who started the program and ended up with an acceptance?

Do people end up going to the Pod school from this program?

I see a lot of numbers being thrown around, but does anyone have any concrete numbers of people who started the program and ended up with an acceptance?

Do people end up going to the Pod school from this program?
The numbers for this last year's group will be presented to you during your orientation week. They are probably not finalized as most of the programs haven't started yet so students could still be accepted.

What were the numbers before that?

The numbers for this last year's group will be presented to you during your orientation week. They are probably not finalized as most of the programs haven't started yet so students could still be accepted.

What were the numbers before that?
I believe when they presented to our year it was 80/100 of the MAs ended up in a program and 15/22. This was of all the people who went through the exit interview. I know at least 2 more people from that group that extended the program and got in this last year.

But from what I hear this years numbers are going to be lower so I don't know if I would count on these numbers being accurate for your class.

Does anyone know the MCAT score you need for the guaranteed interview at the College of Medicine?

I was told "a score on the professional entrance exam that is not less than one standard deviation below the mean score for students that matriculated into the professional degree program in the previous year."

Does anyone know the MCAT score you need for the guaranteed interview at the College of Medicine?

I was told "a score on the professional entrance exam that is not less than one standard deviation below the mean score for students that matriculated into the professional degree program in the previous year."
Someone can correct me if it changed but according to the affiliation paperwork I have the stdev is 503. So you need better than that.

Hi everyone! I will be part of the 2019 class. I’m excited and nervous about the program and moving to AZ on my own. Congratulations to everyone who was accepted, to the ones who weren’t, stay hungry and keep moving forward.
I’ve been having so many emotions about the program, almost torn if I should do the program or not, If I am even worthy of such an opportunity. Anyway I figure I’ll do my best, work my tail off, implement new study methods and techniques and adapt to the demands of the program. Either way it’s a hero’s journey for everyone and I really hope to meet some cool friends along the way as well.

Take care!!

Reactions: 1 users
hey! my stats are not that great but sGPA: 2.80; cGPA: 3.03; I submitted and was accepted in a span of about 3 weeks.
Im in a very similar boat and your stats are giving me hope! I applied to the two year program, hoping I get in!!!!!!

Hey just apply and see what happens, you have nothing to lose at this point besides the application fee. You never know unless you try

Hey guys! Has there been any movement for anyone for the MABS Downers Grove waitlist?

Hi everyone! I'm accepted and starting in the fall. Hoping to get accepted into CCOM but I don't see many other pre-meds here. Does anyone know what your app should look like to have a good shot?

Hi everyone! I'm accepted and starting in the fall. Hoping to get accepted into CCOM but I don't see many other pre-meds here. Does anyone know what your app should look like to have a good shot?
The master's students do not typically get interviews until the spring (in AZ). They will look at your masters work from Fall and Winter quarter. The current affiliation agreement requires at least a 503 on the MCAT though I would expect that to maybe increase this year, based on what is being talked about here. Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

The master's students do not typically get interviews until the spring (in AZ). They will look at your masters work from Fall and Winter quarter. The current affiliation agreement requires at least a 503 on the MCAT though I would expect that to maybe increase this year, based on what is being talked about here. Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

You wouldn't happen to know some of the stats of people that get in would you?

Very few, as I hung out with the dental kids mostly. The ones I know had over a 500 MCAT and most of them were over a 3.4 in the program here. But that's a small sample of probably close 100 students applying.
You wouldn't happen to know some of the stats of people that get in would you?