This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I contacted my local recruiter asking if it was too late to apply for the HPSP and have my medical school expenses covered beginning this Summer. I was told it was possible to apply now, be approved during medical school, and have any outstanding loans and expenses "back paid." Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been scroll approved for Navy HPSP yet?

I got my official select letter in March, but still waiting on scroll approval

Members don't see this ad :)
Board recommended or did you get your final select letter? Regardless, congrats!!

Hmm I’m actually not sure! So my recruiter said as soon as I get my proof of degree next week, we will schedule the commissioning this month. I’m leaving my home state at the end of month and he said we would do the commissioning before then? Idk if that gives you an idea of where I’m at.

I just read that if you’re on a 4-year scholarship, and can’t do COT before your first year, you won’t receive any scholarship benefits for first year. Is this true?

I just read that if you’re on a 4-year scholarship, and can’t do COT before your first year, you won’t receive any scholarship benefits for first year. Is this true?

I don’t think that’s true- the recruiter told me I don’t have to do anything untill between 1 and 2. Some I friends who are on hpsp right now, only one of them did it before medical school started. Most of them did it between year 1 and 2

Hmm I’m actually not sure! So my recruiter said as soon as I get my proof of degree next week, we will schedule the commissioning this month. I’m leaving my home state at the end of month and he said we would do the commissioning before then? Idk if that gives you an idea of where I’m at.

That might actually mean you got the final select. I know that I have to wait until I get the final select letter and scroll approval to plan out a commissioning time.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone been scroll approved for Navy HPSP yet?

I got my official select letter in March, but still waiting on scroll approval

on my end still waiting for April board results. Apparently there are 38 slots for Navy HPSP at this time

That might actually mean you got the final select. I know that I have to wait until I get the final select letter and scroll approval to plan out a commissioning time.

Your right actually. I just spoke with the recruiter. I was able to send in my degree of completion and now I just need the scroll in order to commission!

Got the call today. My scroll was approved and I will be commissioning this Friday for the army hpsp scholarship for medical school! Good luck to everyone in the process!

Got the call today. My scroll was approved and I will be commissioning this Friday for the army hpsp scholarship for medical school! Good luck to everyone in the process!
Hey Arsenal. Got selected by board in Feb, and still waiting on scroll. Can you tell us about your timeline for the whole process.
Thank you

Hey Arsenal. Got selected by board in Feb, and still waiting on scroll. Can you tell us about your timeline for the whole process.
Thank you

My recruiter got my packet in for the March 15th board but he got my scrolls turned in before. He said the scrolls take the longest time so if recruiters are on top of it, they are suppose to turn it in a month before your board. So after my board, I heard back last week I was selected, and then Monday I heard my scroll was approved and I will commission Friday. Does this help?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ll be in the same boat waiting for the final select- got the call yesterday and was professionally recommended Navy HPSP medical. He said that we are waiting on two things 1) for the head honchos to generate commissioning papers and 2) an academic year statement from the medical school.

Hello everyone,
I know I'm super late to the game, but over the weekend I spoke to some friends and have decided to pursue the HPSP scholarship again. Since most recruiters are on vaca now, can anyone speak to if there are any spots left or if I have a chance for a 4 year with HSCP? I'm interested in the Navy HPSP, but willing to join AF and Army.

Also, side question, do applicants have to be within the height/weight regs at the time of application or time of commission?

i've been getting mixed answers from SDNers and recruiters about this one:

Do we or do we NOT incur service commitment for Residency? (assuming that residency is 5 years or less-- PGY1- PGY5)

Note: I'm aware that residency does not pay off the HPSP obligation.

You do for every year of training after PGY-1, but it's paid back in concurrence with your HPSP obligation, so unless you do neurosurg (PGY7) or ortho/gensurg with a research year (PGY6) then you won't net any additional years on top of your 4 years from HPSP.

Hello everyone,
I know I'm super late to the game, but over the weekend I spoke to some friends and have decided to pursue the HPSP scholarship again. Since most recruiters are on vaca now, can anyone speak to if there are any spots left or if I have a chance for a 4 year with HSCP? I'm interested in the Navy HPSP, but willing to join AF and Army.

Also, side question, do applicants have to be within the height/weight regs at the time of application or time of commission?

Just took my oath of office for Navy HPSP. I think there were like 30 or so spots left at the time but that's just those who have not commissioned yet there could be many more waiting on scroll approval. I started my app in August and just commissioned yesterday to give you an idea of how long it took. You could start the application process and have your recruiter also put your application towards the 3 year scholarship if there are not any spots left. My recruiter told me there was only 1 spot total for Navy HCSP this past year so I did not consider applying for that. You have to meet height/weight or bodyfat when you go for your medical clearance.

My recruiter got my packet in for the March 15th board but he got my scrolls turned in before. He said the scrolls take the longest time so if recruiters are on top of it, they are suppose to turn it in a month before your board. So after my board, I heard back last week I was selected, and then Monday I heard my scroll was approved and I will commission Friday. Does this help?
Hey, so my scroll was approved on the 14th and my recruiter is saying I have to wait on a second scroll (that will actually appoint me as an officer) before I can commission. He said it would only take a few days but Monday will mark 3 weeks and I’m getting anxious. I’m just curious if you had to wait for the same thing?

Hey, do you mind sharing your stats?
That’s frustrating! I’m sure it’ll work out!! I just heard back this morning that I was accepted for army hpsp 4 year scholarship. They just want my transcript that confirms I graduated for commission.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Hey, so my scroll was approved on the 14th and my recruiter is saying I have to wait on a second scroll (that will actually appoint me as an officer) before I can commission. He said it would only take a few days but Monday will mark 3 weeks and I’m getting anxious. I’m just curious if you had to wait for the same thing?

I did! Mine took about 5 days though after I was board selected to hear back about scroll approval. Many of my friends though have had varying wait times on getting the scroll approved and commissioning.

So one of the recruiters in a different state said I still have a chance to apply to the Navy HPSP 4 yr. another said I probably don’t because of timing.

If I don’t have a chance at the 4 yr scholarship anymore, I’d rather turn in my kit and submit in August/September for October for a 3 yr. can anyone speak on that or help a homie out and ask your recruiter?

Also can someone confirm that the boards meet on the 15th, but to be reviewed at that meeting, you would have to turn in everything by the 1st?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So one of the recruiters in a different state said I still have a chance to apply to the Navy HPSP 4 yr. another said I probably don’t because of timing.

If I don’t have a chance at the 4 yr scholarship anymore, I’d rather turn in my kit and submit in August/September for October for a 3 yr. can anyone speak on that or help a homie out and ask your recruiter?

Also can someone confirm that the boards meet on the 15th, but to be reviewed at that meeting, you would have to turn in everything by the 1st?

I’ve heard that generally, April 1 is the de facto cutoff date. It took me about 1 month to get everything turned in, 2 months to receive and sign the official offer letter, 2 months for my scroll to come back, and then another couple weeks for “oath out” and commissioning. I’d say take the three year. You’re golden for a three year.

You’re probably waiting on “oath out.” It’s a final review and a lengthy formality. Mine took about three weeks after scroll approval too.

I’ve heard that generally, April 1 is the de facto cutoff date. It took me about 1 month to get everything turned in, 2 months to receive and sign the official offer letter, 2 months for my scroll to come back, and then another couple weeks for “oath out” and commissioning. I’d say take the three year. You’re golden for a three year.
Thank you for your help! I was wondering what month do you think I should have everything turned in?

Before Thanksgiving would be ideal. The sooner the better.

Do you happen to know when the very first board meets for the next cycle?

Army 4 year HPSP. After commissioning, does anyone know how long in-processing takes? Commission March 23. I start school July 23, and my recruiters haven't been clear on when I should expect to be fully processed and get paid. And with MODS down, I have no idea how to check any of this? Thanks.

Army 4 year HPSP. After commissioning, does anyone know how long in-processing takes? Commission March 23. I start school July 23, and my recruiters haven't been clear on when I should expect to be fully processed and get paid. And with MODS down, I have no idea how to check any of this? Thanks.

Call the HPSP Office at 1-800-MED-ARMY

Us Army ms1 so ditto @YayPudding ; you’ll get everything back in time, I commissioned the day before school started, was paid the bonus in October and started receiving stipend sometime around then. The interim is pretty stressful though so hang in there.

Anyone have problems with processing into mods? I’ve comissioned back in May but mishaps in my paperwork keep showing up. My recruiter has been rather frustrating because he keeps sending me forms to sign again that I’ve done multiple times already. I’m in another country right now and apparently my fingerprints that I did back in May have expired as well this I have to re do that portion again when I return July 19th, with class starting on July 30th. He has told me now I need to pull out loans for the first semester and that the army will reimburse me. Has anyone been having these problems with their recruiters? Any can any current hpsp students comment on a delayed process for getting tuition paid for? Thanks in advance- even though I’ve been commissioned, my recruiter has been very unprofessional in dealing with my paperwork and the whole process. I’ve been working with them since June last year...

I was picked up at the May Board. Did my fingerprints prior to, and did them again today. Couldn't tell you why, I think my recruiter busy with a million other things, so whatever, **** needs done and I'm taking care of it.

I have heard that the financial aid office will work with the delayed tuition payment, you just need to let them know what is happening. I can guarantee you the Military will not back pay the $2,300/month though.

I was picked up at the May Board. Did my fingerprints prior to, and did them again today. Couldn't tell you why, I think my recruiter busy with a million other things, so whatever, **** needs done and I'm taking care of it.

I have heard that the financial aid office will work with the delayed tuition payment, you just need to let them know what is happening. I can guarantee you the Military will not back pay the $2,300/month though.
Thanks for the reply , that’s frustrating. That’s the story of my last year working with the recruiter. When you say the 2,300, your referring to the stipend right? So they don’t pay you for the stipend due you getting processed later?

Correct. The recruiter might feed you a steaming pile of bull poop about how you will receive back pay for the stipend. You won't. Try to take care of everything before school starts, so you can get paid.

It sucks, but after being in 13 years I'm used to these annoyances.

Correct. The recruiter might feed you a steaming pile of bull poop about how you will receive back pay for the stipend. You won't. Try to take care of everything before school starts, so you can get paid. .

Not entirely true. The payment of stipend is based on the later of three dates
1. Date the contract is signed
2. Date the oath of office is signed
3. First day of classes in the first semester you were recruited for

In plain language, if you have swore your oath of office, and signed a contract, you will be "back paid" stipend to the first day of classes. The fact that the rest of the paperwork gets screwed up, is just that a screw up. The student isn't penalized other than having to wait until all the T's are crossed to get the money owed.

Not entirely true. The payment of stipend is based on the later of three dates
1. Date the contract is signed
2. Date the oath of office is signed
3. First day of classes in the first semester you were recruited for

In plain language, if you have swore your oath of office, and signed a contract, you will be "back paid" stipend to the first day of classes. The fact that the rest of the paperwork gets screwed up, is just that a screw up. The student isn't penalized other than having to wait until all the T's are crossed to get the money owed.

So in my situation, where I had to re do my do fingerprints, which the soonest is July 19th, and my paperwork doesn’t get through until August or September, I will be be back paid from July 30th to the date I get it?

I have already sworn in, and signed my oath, which was done back in May, and my contract states my classes start July 30th.

And because I commissioned back in May, does that mean I am officially a recipient of the scholarship or is there a chance that because I have not been processed yet, I’ll lose it? I am starting to lose trust in my recruiters because they’ve consistently said everything is done and then a month later bring up a new issue.

I can't speak for the recruiters. It seems that in your case, there is a lack of attention to detail. Also, there is a new system of checks on the records that wasn't in place before this academic year, so, mistakes like this were missed and then corrected at a later date. I'm not making excuses for them, I'm just stating fact.

What I can tell you is that the lawyers have always stated that the contract is the overriding document for all things HPSP. According to paragraph 20.c. of your contract, you are entitled to stipend as I have outlined above. I have attached a copy of the Army contract for you to read.

And because I commissioned back in May, does that mean I am officially a recipient of the scholarship or is there a chance that because I have not been processed yet, I’ll lose it?

Unless it is found that your are ineligible for the scholarship according to paragraph 4. Basically, if you are found physically unfit, or cannot obtain and maintain the standards of an officer in the Army (for instance, can't get a security clearance). If everything is as you state, as long as you can be an officer in the Army, you have the scholarship and you will receive full stipend back to the start of your first semester.

Attachments

• 2017 28.pdf
    749.3 KB · Views: 103
Correct. The recruiter might feed you a steaming pile of bull poop about how you will receive back pay for the stipend. You won't. Try to take care of everything before school starts, so you can get paid.

It sucks, but after being in 13 years I'm used to these annoyances.
I received back pay (Army) in October, signed in August.

Has anyone been fully processed into MODS yet?

My file is now with HRC and MODS is awaiting the orders from HRC now. Its been 3 weeks already and HRC still has not processed the paper work. I've spoken with MODS and my recruiter already and they said HRC is backed up this year again.

Congrats to everyone who landed a scholarship. I spent quite some time today on the phone with multiple Navy & Army recruiters discussing HPSP, which no one knew anything about.

Can you guys inform me how the matching works? When I was in the Army I shadowed a couple physicians but never thought to ask something like that... Do you pick the top 3 specialties you want and they match you according to their needs? My understanding if you do not match to any, you do a GMO Internship PGY-1 and apply again the following year. So, what happens if you don't match the following year? lol Are there any statistics that show how many applicants match in at least their top 3 choices?

Thanks

I believe I am having an issue similar to you. I commissioned in June. My recruiter messed up some of my paperwork and MODS kicked it back. It was “fixed,” and then kicked back again. Of course I don’t have access to MODS, so only figure out there is an issue when my university bills me for tuition and says they have no record of me being HPSP a week before classes start. ugh. So now I am waiting on my packet being pushed through, school wants the tuition, and the HPSP office can’t do anything until the packet is all good. Recruiter says the processing is just super slow.

My file is now with HRC and MODS is awaiting the orders from HRC now. Its been 3 weeks already and HRC still has not processed the paper work. I've spoken with MODS and my recruiter already and they said HRC is backed up this year again.

Hi @Arsenal23:

I’m new on the boards so I can’t share the link on here but i think it would come up if you Google search “HPSP survival guide”. It’s published on UNC’s website and is an incredibly helpful PDF that will answer all your matching Qs.

Also, I read on an Army document (for which I have a partial screenshot and no link) that “historically, about 80 to 90 of HPSP students will match to an Army program” and that “77-85% will get their first or second choice”.

Hope that helps!

So I'm still not commissioned. I was told I received the scholarship back in March/April and have been waiting for scroll approval (I guess?) since then. Does any one know if this is common? People who applied for the scholarship after me have already been commissioned at my school. My recruiters aren't really giving me any details other than saying "it'll happen soon." But they've been saying that for months...

So I'm still not commissioned. I was told I received the scholarship back in March/April and have been waiting for scroll approval (I guess?) since then. Does any one know if this is common? People who applied for the scholarship after me have already been commissioned at my school. My recruiters aren't really giving me any details other than saying "it'll happen soon." But they've been saying that for months...
I just heard back saying that I was cleared to commission this past Friday, and I was accepted back in April. Apparently they changed the security clearance requirements before issuing the commissioning memo, so you’re not alone. I know the wait really sucks, but hopefully you hear back soon!

I received similar notification in June from my recruiter and still waiting for commissioning/scroll. You are not alone. Anyone else still waiting?

Same here. There were some changes to the order of how things were done to my understanding. Previously the background check could be completed after commissioning. However, a recent change requires it to be done before.

Tbh not even certain of my overall status. Either waitlisted (probs not as I heard they added quite a few more Army spots) or just waiting for my scroll/background check.

Sigh*

Here is the real deal as related by the Human Resources Command (HRC). The commissioning process starts after you have been offered and accepted the scholarship. In the recent past it has been at this point that the selected individual names were placed on the scroll and forwarded to Sec Def. There has been a change, whereby the recruiters in the field are now allowed send the name forward for the scroll upon initial contact. The word on this change has been slow getting to the individual recruiters in the field.

At any point after the scroll comes back, the oath of office can be administered. You do not need NAC to come back.

Enter the Security Office at HRC. Because the Accessions Branch at HRC was allowing for students to be appointed (hence paid) without a security clearance, they ended up with an extraordinary amount of students each year who did not have a clearance. 99.9% of the time it was because the student was fingerprinted at the time the scroll went forward, and the SF86 was completed at the time of the oath or some such. Unfortunately, the fingerprints have an expiration date of 30 days. So, the fingerprints go to OPM, sit in a holding bin until day 31 and then are discarded. On day 33 the SF86 shows up at OPM, and gets put into a holding bin waiting for fingerprints that have been discarded and on day 31, it gets discarded. OPM in its almighty wisdom doesn’t inform HRC or the recruiter of either action. Now the security office at HRC tries to contact the student who is up to his eyeballs with learning to be a medical professional and is getting paid – so they ignore the contact if they even got it. Security got P. O.’d and went to the Command at HRC. The Command agreed that all officers need a clearance before they get scholarship benefits and decreed that they (HRC Accessions) would not issue an Appointment Order to anyone until the JPAS packet had been completed. They made this unilateral decision without consulting the people responsible for completing the JPAS (the recruiters). Or, The Office of the Surgeon General. HRC then compounded the problem by moving the appointments from the office that has been doing them for the last 15 years that I know of, to a new office as an additional duty – right in the middle of the busy enrollment season. So, you have the perfect storm of a change in process with no forewarning, and a personnel change – disaster is sure to follow. Here it is. There are approximately 150 HPSP students from the seven disciplines who, through no fault of their own or the recruiter o got caught in this bureaucratic trap.

All of this to say, if you have executed an oath of office, your scroll is not the problem. In 9 out o10 cases it is because your clearance got messed up. TALK TO YOUR ECRUITER. He needs to first ensure that you have a clearance, and then work with his chain of command up to Fort Knox, where the Recruiting Command can do a war dance on the right desk across the street at HRC. Don’t bother calling the HPSP office, they are waiting on a complete packet which includes an Appointment Order.

If you haven’t signed an oath, most likely the scroll with your name has not come back from Sec Def. Again it is up to your recruiter to work through his chain of command to Fort Knox to see what the holdup is.

In other words, all roads lead back to the recruiter.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for your answer. Although I'm not on a scholarship I am going through the commissioning process. I just signed my contract and is waiting on orders to commission.
Here is the real deal as related by the Human Resources Command (HRC). The commissioning process starts after you have been offered and accepted the scholarship. In the recent past it has been at this point that the selected individual names were placed on the scroll and forwarded to Sec Def. There has been a change, whereby the recruiters in the field are now allowed send the name forward for the scroll upon initial contact. The word on this change has been slow getting to the individual recruiters in the field.

At any point after the scroll comes back, the oath of office can be administered. You do not need NAC to come back.

Enter the Security Office at HRC. Because the Accessions Branch at HRC was allowing for students to be appointed (hence paid) without a security clearance, they ended up with an extraordinary amount of students each year who did not have a clearance. 99.9% of the time it was because the student was fingerprinted at the time the scroll went forward, and the SF86 was completed at the time of the oath or some such. Unfortunately, the fingerprints have an expiration date of 30 days. So, the fingerprints go to OPM, sit in a holding bin until day 31 and then are discarded. On day 33 the SF86 shows up at OPM, and gets put into a holding bin waiting for fingerprints that have been discarded and on day 31, it gets discarded. OPM in its almighty wisdom doesn’t inform HRC or the recruiter of either action. Now the security office at HRC tries to contact the student who is up to his eyeballs with learning to be a medical professional and is getting paid – so they ignore the contact if they even got it. Security got P. O.’d and went to the Command at HRC. The Command agreed that all officers need a clearance before they get scholarship benefits and decreed that they (HRC Accessions) would not issue an Appointment Order to anyone until the JPAS packet had been completed. They made this unilateral decision without consulting the people responsible for completing the JPAS (the recruiters). Or, The Office of the Surgeon General. HRC then compounded the problem by moving the appointments from the office that has been doing them for the last 15 years that I know of, to a new office as an additional duty – right in the middle of the busy enrollment season. So, you have the perfect storm of a change in process with no forewarning, and a personnel change – disaster is sure to follow. Here it is. There are approximately 150 HPSP students from the seven disciplines who, through no fault of their own or the recruiter o got caught in this bureaucratic trap.

All of this to say, if you have executed an oath of office, your scroll is not the problem. In 9 out o10 cases it is because your clearance got messed up. TALK TO YOUR ECRUITER. He needs to first ensure that you have a clearance, and then work with his chain of command up to Fort Knox, where the Recruiting Command can do a war dance on the right desk across the street at HRC. Don’t bother calling the HPSP office, they are waiting on a complete packet which includes an Appointment Order.

If you haven’t signed an oath, most likely the scroll with your name has not come back from Sec Def. Again it is up to your recruiter to work through his chain of command to Fort Knox to see what the holdup is.

In other words, all roads lead back to the recruiter.