Minnesota c/o 2014!

Started by parietal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How about Tuesday (June 22)?

I'd love to see the new polar bear exhibit, too, but the Como Zoo looks like it is only open until 6 p.m. on weekdays, right? That doesn't give us much time assuming we can't meet until people are done with work at 5 p.m. or so... Maybe we can try that next time or if E has a weekend free at some point?

Should we try for E's coffee shop (Gingko's, right?) at 5 p.m.-ish June 22? Does that work for everybody? (Well, everybody currently in Minnesota, at least.)

And reserve June 30, too!
 
How about Tuesday (June 22)?

I'd love to see the new polar bear exhibit, too, but the Como Zoo looks like it is only open until 6 p.m. on weekdays, right? That doesn't give us much time assuming we can't meet until people are done with work at 5 p.m. or so... Maybe we can try that next time or if E has a weekend free at some point?

Should we try for E's coffee shop (Gingko's, right?) at 5 p.m.-ish June 22? Does that work for everybody? (Well, everybody currently in Minnesota, at least.)

And reserve June 30, too!

The 22nd works for me. Gingko's...Is that on Snelling and Minnehaha?
I will reserve June 30th as well.
 
How about Tuesday (June 22)?

I'd love to see the new polar bear exhibit, too, but the Como Zoo looks like it is only open until 6 p.m. on weekdays, right? That doesn't give us much time assuming we can't meet until people are done with work at 5 p.m. or so... Maybe we can try that next time or if E has a weekend free at some point?

Should we try for E's coffee shop (Gingko's, right?) at 5 p.m.-ish June 22? Does that work for everybody? (Well, everybody currently in Minnesota, at least.)

And reserve June 30, too!


June 22nd it is?

All of that sounds great! I can do a weekend at some point- it just requires advance planning (for example, going out of town this weekend). We could shoot for the zoo 6/26-6/27?

We don't have to go to my (as in, it's close to my house- I don't own it) coffee shop if it's wildly inconvenient for other people... 🙂 This place just appeals to me because it's pleasantly casual. It's on the corner of Minnehaha and Snelling in St. Paul.

If anyone has another gathering location in mind, I'm open to it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can we shoot for 6? Depending on how my meeting at 12 goes, I might be working at the Minneapolis campus, and would need time to take the bus back to St. Paul (I live in SAP) and get there.
 
P.S. I had the strangest dream last night...

It was the first day of vet school and we were in this weird house with lots of uncomfortable seats. We were arguing over the most comfortable seats and we all wanted to sit by this giant polar bear.

Our professor put on this really strange princess movie- she was using it as a metaphor for a metabolic pathway or something. I didn't understand.

Who hopes that vet school isn't like this? 🙂
 
It's awesome that we all live in St. Paul- except for P, of course- but she's living my dream with a hobby farm 🙂...

😀 My dream, too! Although I will need to cut out about 7:30 p.m. or so to head home and do chores, so the earlier the better...

Does it help that I used to live in St. Paul? 🙂

Oh, and I wasn't wearing pants.

Hee! What a funny dream! I definitely would want to sit next to the polar bear....
 
Do you not have a car, T?

I do, but...

I'm kinda afraid to drive it, lol 😳
Besides, with the bus I don't have to pay for parking, and it has it's own bypass road thing, so it's actually a little faster. 6 should be fine, it only takes a few min by bus, so if I'm out at 5, I'll have plenty of time to ride over, walk home, grab my car and buzz over to the place.
 
😀 My dream, too! Although I will need to cut out about 7:30 p.m. or so to head home and do chores, so the earlier the better...

Does it help that I used to live in St. Paul? 🙂



Ha! What a funny dream! I definitely would want to sit next to the polar bear....

I get done with work at 4:30- earlier or later- it really is up to you guys.

Should we plan on 6 at Ginkgo?

T, would there be a location that would be more ideal for you?

Girl, everyone wants to sit by the polar bear.
 
I do, but...

I'm kinda afraid to drive it, lol 😳
Besides, with the bus I don't have to pay for parking, and it has it's own bypass road thing, so it's actually a little faster.

I'm a naturally anxious driver, too- but I've gotten a lot more used to it.

Ginkgo has a parking lot, if that helps! and if you cut through the fairgrounds- you'll end up right on Snelling.

P.S. Did you find a summer job?! Congratulations!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That location is totally fine, I even kinda know where it is!


And thanks! I think it's pretty sure at this point, but i don't want to get too over excited and then find out I was led on, lol. Academia feels kinda like dating at times.
 
I get done with work at 4:30- earlier or later- it really is up to you guys.

Should we plan on 6 at Ginkgo?

T, would there be a location that would be more ideal for you?

Girl, everyone wants to sit by the polar bear.

T, I'd be happy to pick you up from your house, if you want. You're right off Cleveland, right? I drive right past there anyway...

Otherwise, yes 6 p.m. sounds great.
 
P.S. I had the strangest dream last night...

It was the first day of vet school and we were in this weird house with lots of uncomfortable seats. We were arguing over the most comfortable seats and we all wanted to sit by this giant polar bear.

Our professor put on this really strange princess movie- she was using it as a metaphor for a metabolic pathway or something. I didn't understand.

Who hopes that vet school isn't like this? 🙂

6 works for me. We're still talking about the 22nd right?
Oh, and I want to be the polar bear.
 
6 works for me. We're still talking about the 22nd right?
Oh, and I want to be the polar bear.

But you'd have to eat raw fish and swim around in freezing water!

Or attend vet school lectures about princesses and have students fight over you.
 
So, just found out that I start in July. Eff, more featureless, boring days.

And don't worry, I can drive myself 🙂 I was more worried about the Minneapolis bit of things.
 
the good news: just got offered a spot off the MN OOS waitlist!

the not so good news: need to wait until this evening to discuss costs with my family in order to make a final decision...
 
Congratulations! Good luck on your decision!

How long do you get to decide?
 
Congratulations! Good luck on your decision!

How long do you get to decide?

I have until Monday morning...

I'm really torn because MN OOS tuition was $47K last yr and, according to Karen Nelson, is going up to ~$49K this year. I got a scholarship at Michigan which knocks down the tuition to ~$34K. The gist: if I can figure out how to get my family to help, I will choose MN.
 
Last edited:
Well, good luck! 🙂 Make the decision that is best for you in the long run. And if it is Minnesota, we'll be thrilled to meet you in the fall.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have a writing background too, right?
 
if by "writing background' you mean to say that I have an undergrad humanities degree, then yes. Lots of pretentious expository writing was involved in that making of that B.A. 😛
 
if by "writing background' you mean to say that I have an undergrad humanities degree, then yes. Lots of pretentious expository writing was involved in that making of that B.A. 😛

Ha! Just the stuff I'm terrible at! I'm a former journalist, and I just can't master any style of writing that embraces the passive tense and page-long paragraphs. 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have until Monday morning...

I'm really torn because MN OOS tuition was $47K last yr and, according to Karen Nelson, is going up to ~$49K this year. I got a scholarship at Michigan which knocks down the tuition to ~$34K. The gist: if I can figure out how to get my family to help, I will choose MN.

Glad I'm not the only idiot 🙂
 
the good news: just got offered a spot off the MN OOS waitlist!

the not so good news: need to wait until this evening to discuss costs with my family in order to make a final decision...

Congratulations! 🙂 and best of luck to you in making your final decision.
 
the good news: just got offered a spot off the MN OOS waitlist!

the not so good news: need to wait until this evening to discuss costs with my family in order to make a final decision...

Der... Im SOO HAPPY FOR YOU! Im glad the waitlist is still moving! I hope you make the best decision for you... Money can always be paid back 😛😉

Haha in all seriousness though, I hope you are happy with whatever decision u make. Best of luck! and maybe ill see you in the fall 😍
 
sadly, I won't be seeing you all in the fall: I decided on Michigan...

however, hopefully I'll be seeing some of you at AVMA conferences soon 🙂

i hope my spot goes to another SDNer!
 
Two questions:

First, are we still on for 6:00 tonight?

Second, is anyone else having a difficult time choosing a stethoscope color?
 
First, are we still on for 6:00 tonight?

Absolutely!

Second, is anyone else having a difficult time choosing a stethoscope color?

I think I'm going to be boring and go with basic black. I've looked at the other colors online and they just look weird. Like toys, kind of. Although my vet has a maroon one that looks professional...

But more importantly, what type are you going with? 😀
 
Yay! See you guys then.

der, it's too bad we won't be seeing you in our class, but have fun at MSU!

As for the stethoscope, I figured I'd just keep using my cheapo black one until I get further along. I'm gonna stick a tag on it so I can tell that it's mine, lol.
 
Absolutely!



I think I'm going to be boring and go with basic black. I've looked at the other colors online and they just look weird. Like toys, kind of. Although my vet has a maroon one that looks professional...

But more importantly, what type are you going with? 😀

I'm kind of leaning towards Hunter Green...

I'm thinking Cardio III. Since I'm trying to save money in other places (like not buying a new laptop).
 
Two questions:

First, are we still on for 6:00 tonight?

Second, is anyone else having a difficult time choosing a stethoscope color?

Look for the polar bear and be prepared to fight over who gets to sit next to me-LOL
I have the Master Cardiology and love it!
 
I'm jealous! Wish I could be there..

We wish you could have been there, too!

----------------

I had fun last night, guys- thanks for coming out!

What's the plan for June 30th?

Same time, same place, more people?

Different time, different place, more people?

Same time, different place, more people?

Different time, same place, more people?
 
We wish you could have been there, too!

----------------

I had fun last night, guys- thanks for coming out!

What's the plan for June 30th?

Same time, same place, more people?

Different time, different place, more people?

Same time, different place, more people?

Different time, same place, more people?

Great time!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It was great getting together with all of you, too! And great to meet you in person, tiktaalik! Enjoy Kathy Griffin!