Minnesota c/o 2014!

Started by parietal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

<I just posted this in the waitlist survivors thread, but I thought it belonged here too for good measure>

Ok, I just spoke with Karen Nelson in admissions at MN and she told me that as of now, the OOS spots are completely full, but that if anyone drops his spot, they will dig into the waitlist. She also said that while this year things seem to be going slower than usual, in past years, they have generally called at least up to #5 on the OOS waitlist. She assured me that from experience, any waitlist calls would come a bit later in the summer (July etc.) if at all.

None of this information, however, is definitive. The situation could change next week or not. At least you now know.
 
<I just posted this in the waitlist survivors thread, but I thought it belonged here too for good measure>

Ok, I just spoke with Karen Nelson in admissions at MN and she told me that as of now, the OOS spots are completely full, but that if anyone drops his spot, they will dig into the waitlist. She also said that while this year things seem to be going slower than usual, in past years, they have generally called at least up to #5 on the OOS waitlist. She assured me that from experience, any waitlist calls would come a bit later in the summer (July etc.) if at all.

None of this information, however, is definitive. The situation could change next week or not. At least you now know.
Eeeps, that's too bad. Hopefully someone gets called off their IS waitlist or something so a spot or two opens up.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats, Tiktaalik!

And sorry again, der and other OOS waitlisters! Hope something opens up for you all.
 
I just requested my transcript to be sent today. I'll be nervous until I get confirmation. Really nervous...
 
perhaps i should bitch and whine about the MN waitlist here instead of bothering all those other waitlisters on the waitlist thread... oh well. here's to more waiting! :xf::luck:😎

on a side note... is there campus housing available for the MN vet students or are you guys/do you guys plan on living in apts/homes off campus? Also, whats the avg. rate for a studio/1bedroom in St. Paul? In CA apt prices are up the wazoo so I was just wondering what itwas like in St. Paul...
 
I don't know about student housing but I have been looking around for 1 bedroom apartments (that take large dogs) and they seem to start around $600 but the nicer looking and closer ones are mostly in the $700 and up range. The dog thing narrows the options a lot though so I'm sure there are many more and (possibly?) cheaper options if your not bringing a (large) furry friend.
 
I don't know about student housing but I have been looking around for 1 bedroom apartments (that take large dogs) and they seem to start around $600 but the nicer looking and closer ones are mostly in the $700 and up range. The dog thing narrows the options a lot though so I'm sure there are many more and (possibly?) cheaper options if your not bringing a (large) furry friend.

I hear if you drop that you're a vet student some places get a little more flexible with pet rules.
 
Hey, fellow SDNers: Do me a favor and join in my plea on the Facebook page to get the lurkers to introduce themselves?

It is driving me nuts that we have tons of new members but almost none of the new people are introducing themselves... 🙁
 
So excited to meet all of you in-staters in person on Thursday! Should we plan to get there a little early and have coffee or something?

Also, I can finally say that elliepants is even cooler in person that she is on SDN, if such a thing is possible. 😀
 
So excited to meet all of you in-staters in person on Thursday! Should we plan to get there a little early and have coffee or something?

Also, I can finally say that elliepants is even cooler in person that she is on SDN, if such a thing is possible. 😀

Right back at you, P 🙂! It was SO nice to meet you for real!

I wish I could meet before 🙁, but I've got this pesky job that's really cramping my style. I'll be lucky if I get there by 3:30.
 
K, how 'bout this - I'm coming out to visit UMN on Monday of next week! Who's in/around the Twin Cities?
 
So excited to meet all of you in-staters in person on Thursday! Should we plan to get there a little early and have coffee or something?

Also, I can finally say that elliepants is even cooler in person that she is on SDN, if such a thing is possible. 😀

I'm super excited to meet everyone too! elliepants has set the bar high with the cool quotient.
 
I'm super excited to meet everyone too! elliepants has set the bar high with the cool quotient.

I wish... 🙂

In all reality, I showed up to meet P with powdered donut dust all over me (from my mid-afternoon snack-attack). She must not have noticed.

However, we had a great time. And I encourage y'all to ask P to tell her "When/why did you decide to become a vet?" story.

Maybe we should have a get-together on Monday in honor of Tiktaalik's visit?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wish... 🙂

In all reality, I showed up to meet P with powdered donut dust all over me (from my mid-afternoon snack-attack). She must not have noticed.

However, we had a great time. And I encourage y'all to ask P to tell her "When/why did you decide to become a vet?" story.

Maybe we should have a get-together on Monday in honor of Tiktaalik's visit?

Ha! I really didn't notice! And thank you for not noticing my unfortunate food-stuck-in-teeth incident! I love that we even share faux pas! And not noticing other people's faux pas! 😀

I'd love to get together Monday, but I'm going to be insanely busy with MPH classes. I have class until 5 p.m. on the West Bank and need to catch a bus in downtown Minneapolis by 6:30 p.m. 🙁
 
Last edited:
Ha! I really didn't notice! And thank you for not noticing my unfortunate food-stuck-in-teeth incident! I love that we even share faux pas! And not noticing other people's faux pas! 😀

I'd love to get together Monday, but I'm going to be insanely busy with MPH classes. I have class until 5 p.m. on the West Bank and need to catch a bus in downtown Minneapolis by 6:30 p.m. 🙁

🙂 It seems that we're not very observant when it comes to other people's issues...

that bodes well for the rest of you.
 
Me either! There's a couple of the lurkers from the Facebook group, but no one familiar at all. 🙁 And they all seem so young!
I'm usually an extrovert, but I must admit I'm kind of nervous. I figured there would be a pretty decent chance of having at least one SDN'r in my group for support.
 
I'm usually an extrovert, but I must admit I'm kind of nervous. I figured there would be a pretty decent chance of having at least one SDN'r in my group for support.

Want to meet up early so you have at least one friendly face? I'll even point out elliepants when she gets there. 🙂
 
Nobody in my buddy group looked familiar from my quick glance. I guess that is good though as I will know even more future classmates than if it had all been SDN'ers. I think I am going up to St. Paul right after I get back from Ecuador (around June 8-10th) to look for an apartment. Maybe I'll be able to meet some of you guys!
 
My whole buddy group is strangers, too - mostly ISers from Duluth. Probably for the best, though - like scubblescully said, we wanna meet as many people as possible, right?

And hey, I'll be in St. Paul then! (I'll have just moved!) You can tell me how awesome your trip was in person, lol. 😛
 
Nobody in my buddy group looked familiar from my quick glance. I guess that is good though as I will know even more future classmates than if it had all been SDN'ers.

Very true. I think I am mostly over my introvert-inspired panic. If I could meet the whole class one or two or three at a time, I would be MUCH happier. 😉

I think I am going up to St. Paul right after I get back from Ecuador (around June 8-10th) to look for an apartment. Maybe I'll be able to meet some of you guys!

Sounds great! Give yourself some time to recover, though! I'm always exhausted after getting home from a trip like that.
 
Ya, I would love time to recover but on the 11th or 12th we have family coming in to town for a few weeks and then its back to work so I just don't know when else I could get up there.
 
After comparing to the other people's info they put in their profile, I feel like such an oversharing dork, lol.
 
After comparing to the other people's info they put in their profile, I feel like such an oversharing dork, lol.

I know. Me, too. 🙂

All three of the girls in my buddy group went to the same college, so I'm pretty sure they'll know each other.

And no SDNers here, either. It's almost like they know us or something...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think so, lol - what, you, me, parietal, scubblescully and Italia, right? Zeeb, rileyroo, et al all went IS instead, and it seems like none of our waitlisters have heard back yet. 🙁

That's okay, we're 5 awesome peeps.

When are you moving Tiktaalik?
 
I think so, lol - what, you, me, parietal, scubblescully and Italia, right? Zeeb, rileyroo, et al all went IS instead, and it seems like none of our waitlisters have heard back yet. 🙁

maddsmoltz is in too off the IS waitlist. But he doesn't seem to be on here much.
 
That's okay, we're 5 awesome peeps.

When are you moving Tiktaalik?

I'm moving the end of the week of the 31st. (So what, the 6th or something?) My lease starts the 1st, but I'm gonna stick around MI a few days to go to my little sis' graduation stuff.
 
I'm moving the end of the week of the 31st. (So what, the 6th or something?) My lease starts the 1st, but I'm gonna stick around MI a few days to go to my little sis' graduation stuff.

Perhaps we should have a get-together once you're settled?

Scubblescully, when are you moving?
 
Maybe the weekend of June 13 when my MPH classes are done? Then I can really enjoy it and not try to read a report on brucellosis on the sly. :laugh:

That sounds like a great plan. That way Scubblescully and Tiktaalik will have time to get settled before we jump all over them.

Italia, it was awesome to meet you in person! 🙂

And, of course, P- it's always a pleasure seeing you.
 
So glad to meet you briefly, Italia! E, your boyfriend seems awesome. And of course it was fantastic to see you again, too!

For the non-residents, we should be getting our registration packets in June and our financial aid info in July. They are also trying to make the class schedule a little more stable in the fall. They also are apparently adding a new course: something about working with human medical professionals. And it sounds like they are trying to get classroom video and/or audio capture ready by fall.

Also, Dr. Root is hilarious. And the rest of the faculty and administration seem super nice. I am SO glad I made the decision I did. But I still kind of envy you OOSers for finding out how cool everything was BEFORE making your decisions! 🙂
 
I don't think I'm moving in until like August 1st. I'll be up there June 8-10 finding a place then I'll be back in August sometime to move in most likely. I can't wait to meet you all, whenever that ends up being.
 
Sweet, there goes MSU's last advantage, lol. That was the one service they had that I was hoping for at UMN.

I was very excited to hear that, too! I'm hoping to spend a lot of my commute time re-listening to lectures and it just makes it SO much easier if I can just download lectures rather than having to hassle with recording stuff myself. 🙂
 
I was very excited to hear that, too! I'm hoping to spend a lot of my commute time re-listening to lectures and it just makes it SO much easier if I can just download lectures rather than having to hassle with recording stuff myself. 🙂

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to add an audio recording bit onto my current note-taking setup, and I wasn't finding anything, so it's good I don't have to bother.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That sounds like a great plan. That way Scubblescully and Tiktaalik will have time to get settled before we jump all over them.

Italia, it was awesome to meet you in person! 🙂

And, of course, P- it's always a pleasure seeing you.

So glad to meet you briefly, Italia! E, your boyfriend seems awesome. And of course it was fantastic to see you again, too!

For the non-residents, we should be getting our registration packets in June and our financial aid info in July. They are also trying to make the class schedule a little more stable in the fall. They also are apparently adding a new course: something about working with human medical professionals. And it sounds like they are trying to get classroom video and/or audio capture ready by fall.

Also, Dr. Root is hilarious. And the rest of the faculty and administration seem super nice. I am SO glad I made the decision I did. But I still kind of envy you OOSers for finding out how cool everything was BEFORE making your decisions! 🙂

It was a pleasure meeting you guys too! I thought they did a really great job in giving us a wide variety of useful information. Dr. Root was hilarious! The only negative...my butt did get a little bit sore from sitting so long :laugh:
 
It was a pleasure meeting you guys too! I thought they did a really great job in giving us a wide variety of useful information. Dr. Root was hilarious! The only negative...my butt did get a little bit sore from sitting so long :laugh:


For sure. I know my "guest" was pretty antsy...

But it was still awesome🙂.