Minnesota c/o 2014!

Started by parietal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, if any of you are considering it, the Minnesota DVM/MPH program rocks. 😀

That is all. 🙂
 
So, if any of you are considering it, the Minnesota DVM/MPH program rocks. 😀

That is all. 🙂

Hey P-

I'm practicing avoidance so I thought this was a good place to do it. Glad you like the DVM/MPH program. What are you taking?
 
I'm practicing avoidance so I thought this was a good place to do it. Glad you like the DVM/MPH program. What are you taking?

This week, it's Food System Defense (which is way cooler than it sounds: we're basically learning how to counter agroterrorism) and International Initiatives in Neglected Zoonoses, in which we are basically learning how to hold an international forum to draw attention and funding to endemic zoonoses that disproportionally affect the rural poor in developing nations.

Next week, I have a class on tuberculosis and one on responding to outbreaks of zoonotic diseases. In the last week of the three-week institute, I have ecosystems health, one health and surveillance of zoonotic pathogens. I've already finished one course on interprofessional collaboration. Then over the rest of the summer, I have epidemiology, biostats and ethics all online.

It's an amazingly flexible program. I'm really interested in zoonoses, so that's what I'm focusing on. But I was curious about food protection as well, so I can sample that, too.

So far, I'd highly recommend it. It is definitely not cheap, but there are SO many opportunities...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
International Initiatives in Neglected Zoonoses, in which we are basically learning how to hold an international forum to draw attention and funding to endemic zoonoses that disproportionally affect the rural poor in developing nations.


👍
 
2 things I learned this trip:

1: the sculpture park in Minneapolis is great for dates.
2: it is generally unwise to drive 10 hours each way in order to spend one day somewhere. 😀

Can't wait to make that drive AGAIN next week 😀
 
2 things I learned this trip:

1: the sculpture park in Minneapolis is great for dates.
2: it is generally unwise to drive 10 hours each way in order to spend one day somewhere. 😀

Can't wait to make that drive AGAIN next week 😀

Yes and Yes.

Did you find a place to live?

Are you coming back for good next week?
 
Yes and Yes.

Did you find a place to live?

Are you coming back for good next week?

Yes and yes! I even got my keys already, actually. I'm on Commonwealth, like seriously a 2 minute walk from the school's door if I take my time.

I still have to update my résumé and send it along to some people in @ the school so I can get researchin', but other than that, it looks like I'm set to go!

Hey, question for, um, anyone, really - do you know if a vehicle has to have a MN title to be registered in MN? I'm bringing my car, but I'm confused about registering it. It was my grad gift and isn't fully paid off yet, so it's still in my dad's name and has a MI title. I've never gone to school in a different state than my parents live in, so I'm sort of lost on the details of OOS stuff. I'll probably end up calling the DVS.
 
Last edited:
Yes and yes! I even got my keys already, actually. I'm on Commonwealth, like seriously a 2 minute walk from the school's door if I take my time.

I still have to update my résumé and send it along to some people in @ the school so I can get researchin', but other than that, it looks like I'm set to go!

That's great! Let us know when you're ready for the welcome wagon...
 
Yes and yes! I even got my keys already, actually. I'm on Commonwealth, like seriously a 2 minute walk from the school's door if I take my time.

I still have to update my résumé and send it along to some people in @ the school so I can get researchin', but other than that, it looks like I'm set to go!

Hey, question for, um, anyone, really - do you know if a vehicle has to have a MN title to be registered in MN? I'm bringing my car, but I'm confused about registering it. It was my grad gift and isn't fully paid off yet, so it's still in my dad's name and has a MI title. I've never gone to school in a different state than my parents live in, so I'm sort of lost on the details of OOS stuff. I'll probably end up calling the DVS.

Welcome to MN! I have no idea on vehicle registration--sorry 🙁
 
Hey, question for, um, anyone, really - do you know if a vehicle has to have a MN title to be registered in MN? I'm bringing my car, but I'm confused about registering it. It was my grad gift and isn't fully paid off yet, so it's still in my dad's name and has a MI title. I've never gone to school in a different state than my parents live in, so I'm sort of lost on the details of OOS stuff. I'll probably end up calling the DVS.

Don't know for sure if this applies to students as well, but this has vehicle registration info for new residents: http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/New Resident/NewResident.pdf Contact phone numbers are also listed on the bottom.

Yes and yes! I even got my keys already, actually. I'm on Commonwealth, like seriously a 2 minute walk from the school's door if I take my time.

Jealous!!! 🙂
 
Just got a call from Karen this AM (while vacationing in HI might I add:laugh:)

I. Am. FREAKING. IN!!!!😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

YESS! best day ever !! **happy happy dance**

Good luck Evveryoonnee elseeeeeeeeeee!!
 
Just got a call from Karen this AM (while vacationing in HI might I add:laugh:)

I. Am. FREAKING. IN!!!!😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

YESS! best day ever !! **happy happy dance**

Good luck Evveryoonnee elseeeeeeeeeee!!

Best vacay evah!!!!!!!!!
Congrats!
😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got a call from Karen this AM (while vacationing in HI might I add:laugh:)

I. Am. FREAKING. IN!!!!😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

YESS! best day ever !! **happy happy dance**

Good luck Evveryoonnee elseeeeeeeeeee!!

Yea! Congrats and Welcome!
 
Jkim.....I am so happy for you! Congrats!!!! 😀

Hopefully this makes your decision easier now.
 
Yay! Good luck, scubblescully! How long are you in town?

Tiktaalik, do you still want to get together next week? I only have four days of MPH classes left before I have actual free time again. 🙂

Also, anyone want to get together June 30? One of our future classmates will be flying in to finalize her housing arrangements and would like to meet people. I plan to post something on Facebook, but wanted to gauge interest here first. 😀
 
Just until Thursday morning. Bringing my mom along with me. Hoping to look at apartments and catch a baseball game.
 
Cool. Enjoy the game! I hear the new stadium is fantastic, although I haven't been there yet. 🙂

btw, JKIM, have you joined the Facebook group yet? I can't wait to get to know you! 😀
 
Yay! Good luck, scubblescully! How long are you in town?

Tiktaalik, do you still want to get together next week? I only have four days of MPH classes left before I have actual free time again. 🙂

Also, anyone want to get together June 30? One of our future classmates will be flying in to finalize her housing arrangements and would like to meet people. I plan to post something on Facebook, but wanted to gauge interest here first. 😀

Yeah, sure! I'm meeting a potential PI on Wednesday next week, but I'm free otherwise. I don't know what my work schedule will be yet, because I don't know which lab is picking me up until after that meeting. FB me.

I'd probably be cool with the June 30 thing, too. I'll watch for updates.

(It's funny, I'm driving out to move there on the Thursday scubblescully leaves. We'll probably pass each other going opposite directions on the way. Watch for a green Kia Soul, lol.)

Edit: In other news, Michigan State apparently doesn't take rejection well - the admissions office assures me that I'm off the list, but I keep getting housing and loan info!
 
Last edited:
Also, anyone want to get together June 30? One of our future classmates will be flying in to finalize her housing arrangements and would like to meet people. I plan to post something on Facebook, but wanted to gauge interest here first. 😀

Sure! Just let me know 🙂.
 
Cool. Anyone have ideas on where to meet?

Also, the June mailing is apparently going out tomorrow! I'm ridiculously excited.... 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A journalist never reveals her secrets. 😀

Not sure about a meeting place. Someplace where we all can talk would probably be best. Coffeehouse with a backroom, maybe?
 
A journalist never reveals her secrets. 😀

Not sure about a meeting place. Someplace where we all can talk would probably be best. Coffeehouse with a backroom, maybe?

You crack me up 🙂...

St. Paul or Minneapolis?
 
You crack me up 🙂...

St. Paul or Minneapolis?

😀 Glad to oblige.

Probably St. Paul... Your coffee shop might work, but there's not really much seating for lots of people. Not that I know how many people we should plan on. Should we just plan an SDN get-together there next week and then try to organize something bigger later on?

Scubblescully, how'd the apartment-hunting go?
 
😀 Glad to oblige.

Probably St. Paul... Your coffee shop might work, but there's not really much seating for lots of people. Not that I know how many people we should plan on. Should we just plan an SDN get-together there next week and then try to organize something bigger later on?

Scubblescully, how'd the apartment-hunting go?

Just wondering if this is a day or night thing. Either is fine, but might need to adjust my work schedule.

Hope your aparment hunting went well Scubblescully!

On a completely different note...apparently I am too technologically (sp)challenged to figure out how to post a picture next to my name. As embarrassing as this is, will one of you please tell me how to do this. 😳
 
😀 Glad to oblige.

Probably St. Paul... Your coffee shop might work, but there's not really much seating for lots of people. Not that I know how many people we should plan on. Should we just plan an SDN get-together there next week and then try to organize something bigger later on?

Scubblescully, how'd the apartment-hunting go?

You're definitely right. On all accounts.

Italia- I work days- so I was thinking an evening thing. PS- what's in the info. packet?
 
Just wondering if this is a day or night thing. Either is fine, but might need to adjust my work schedule.

Hope your aparment hunting went well Scubblescully!

On a completely different note...apparently I am too technologically (sp)challenged to figure out how to post a picture next to my name. As embarrassing as this is, will one of you please tell me how to do this. 😳

It's not just you- SDN is kind of user-unfriendly! That's my opinion, at least.

My Account > Edit Avatar > Custom Avatar/Upload Picture!
 
It's not just you- SDN is kind of user-unfriendly! That's my opinion, at least.

My Account > Edit Avatar > Custom Avatar/Upload Picture!

Thank You!

The info packet is awesome! Tells u about/ or when we will find out about registration, health insurance, immunization, computer requirements, orientation, financial aid, and parking.

Shows us what we are registered for and gives us the opportunity to sign up for electives.

Definitely makes me realize that this is for real!
 
Thank You!

The info packet is awesome! Tells u about/ or when we will find out about registration, health insurance, immunization, computer requirements, orientation, financial aid, and parking.

Shows us what we are registered for and gives us the opportunity to sign up for electives.

Definitely makes me realize that this is for real!

Yep, the packet is definitely interesting. Among the factoids for those of you still waiting: we have 10 required classes in the fall (for 21.5 total credits), plus the opportunity to take up to three electives. Computer specs are also included (nothing too shocking...) as are instructions to set up e-mail. 🙂

Also, our fall schedule won't be posted until August, so I should probably stop reloading that page obsessively. 😳
 
Yep, the packet is definitely interesting. Among the factoids for those of you still waiting: we have 10 required classes in the fall (for 21.5 total credits), plus the opportunity to take up to three electives. Computer specs are also included (nothing too shocking...) as are instructions to set up e-mail. 🙂

Also, our fall schedule won't be posted until August, so I should probably stop reloading that page obsessively. 😳

Specs? Like required specs for loans to apply? Recommended specs? It went to my home address, so I can't check mine now 🙁

But! I just moved in today. And I passed the stupid test they make you take to get a MN driver's license, so I'll soon have that. AND I already have a bank account. Huzzah!
 
Specs? Like required specs for loans to apply? Recommended specs? It went to my home address, so I can't check mine now 🙁

But! I just moved in today. And I passed the stupid test they make you take to get a MN driver's license, so I'll soon have that. AND I already have a bank account. Huzzah!

Yay! Welcome to Minnesota! Can't wait to meet you. What evening works for you to meet? E? Italia? Now that I'm done with classes, I am completely flexible. 🙂

There minimum requirements are pretty low. Macs are allowed as long as they run Virtual PC.
2.0 GHz (or any Intel processor for a Mac)
1.0 GB memory
60 GB+ hard drive
13" display
a CD-RW/DVD drive
an 100 Mbps ethernet card or wireless
Windows XP/7 or Mac OS 10.4+
Microsoft Office 2003+.

However, for new purchases, they recommend the following:
Intel Core 2 Duo/i series
4.0 GB
15" display
120 GB+ hard drive
DVD-RW
1.0 GB ethernet + wireless
Windows XP/7
Microsoft Office 2007+

They also recommend a notebook lock and carrying case.

It doesn't sound like you need to do anything more to be eligible for the extra $1,000 in loans for a computer, but it doesn't specify.

Also, you'll probably want to set up your U of M e-mail. Click on the Student Internet Account Initiation button.

Hope that helps!
 
Hey everyone,
Sorry no response for a while, its been hectic. I found an apartment for me and Gracie about a mile and a half from campus! I move in August 1st but probably will not be up there until early or mid August. Getting an apartment makes it even more real and I cannot wait for school to start! I have not received my info packet yet and can't wait to have more information to read about. My trip was great, went to the conservatory and zoo in Como Park and went to the twins game on Wednesday night. Drove through campus so I could see what it looks like without snow and hung out in downtown Minneapolis for a little bit. I can't wait to meet you all and start our journey together!

Oh and Ecuador was great too!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thursday is the only night next week that doesn't work for me.

I want to check out the new polar bear exhibit at the Como Zoo. It used to be so sad watching that bear swimming the same pattern over and over and over and over.
 
There minimum requirements are pretty low. Macs are allowed as long as they run Virtual PC.
2.0 GHz (or any Intel processor for a Mac)
1.0 GB memory
60 GB+ hard drive
13" display
a CD-RW/DVD drive
an 100 Mbps ethernet card or wireless
Windows XP/7 or Mac OS 10.4+
Microsoft Office 2003+.

However, for new purchases, they recommend the following:
Intel Core 2 Duo/i series
4.0 GB
15" display
120 GB+ hard drive
DVD-RW
1.0 GB ethernet + wireless
Windows XP/7
Microsoft Office 2007+

So you must have a 13" screen? That will make my decision easier between a 12.1" and a 13.3" screen
 
Thursday is the only night next week that doesn't work for me.

I want to check out the new polar bear exhibit at the Como Zoo. It used to be so sad watching that bear swimming the same pattern over and over and over and over.

That sounds kinda interesting. I saw the sign for the zoo, but wasn't sure what it was like. I'd like to check it out at some point.

Any evening works for me. Plans = 0. If anyone is ever bored and wants to hang out for any reason, my cell number is up on my Facebook.
 
Fiddlesticks, something is wrong with the email signup. I can't get it to work. This is on top of my brand-new printer failing to connect and my Nike+ chip failing to register 0.25 miles of my run this morning. Technology is against me.
 
Thursday is the only night next week that doesn't work for me.

I want to check out the new polar bear exhibit at the Como Zoo. It used to be so sad watching that bear swimming the same pattern over and over and over and over.

I am 100% free in the evenings next week. Weekends are usually bad for me.