Misleading Veterinary Match Descriptions (Help please?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Virginger

Oregon State c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happens if you find yourself in a program that does not reflect the description on the match and was not made known during the interview?

I am extremely frustrated finding myself in a program that most likely mislead me and my internmates with inaccurate information in order to fill their spots.

I know that if I leave, even if it is based on a principal that is dependent on them not holding up their advertised position, that I am the one who is penalized by the match. That does not seem like justice and that lack of oversight on these programs pretty clearly can incentivize them to bring in people based on inaccurate information.

Some of my peers are still there, many of which were not matched and accepted a match spot after the unfilled match seats were made available (in the scramble or even at a later date). Do they get penalized by the match too if they do not want to stay in the program because of the misleading (and honestly falsely advertised) program claims?

Members don't see this ad.

What happens if you find yourself in a program that does not reflect the description on the match and was not made known during the interview?

I am extremely frustrated finding myself in a program that most likely mislead me and my internmates with inaccurate information in order to fill their spots.

I know that if I leave, even if it is based on a principal that is dependent on them not holding up their advertised position, that I am the one who is penalized by the match. That does not seem like justice and that lack of oversight on these programs pretty clearly can incentivize them to bring in people based on inaccurate information.

Some of my peers are still there, many of which were not matched and accepted a match spot after the unfilled match seats were made available (in the scramble or even at a later date). Do they get penalized by the match too if they do not want to stay in the program because of the misleading (and honestly falsely advertised) program claims?

That is really unfortunate. I have a feeling it falls into buyer beware here. I think it is part of why it is always encouraged to visit if you can and talk to previous interns/residents before hand. Not sure if there is a complaint dept for Match to address the issue so it doesn't keep happening over and over again. Someone more familiar will have to address what you are or aren't able to do about it. Do you have a way to contact old interns? Maybe they can give you insight into what they were able to do.

I'm sure you don't want to give out specifics but what do you wish you asked to get a better idea? Is your program director able to help bridge the discrepancies?