Moonlighting During Fellowship - IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ertugrul

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for an IMG to moonlight internally during fellowship, particularly for radiology fellowship? Any experience, info is highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to know about internal moonlighting and your permission to do so you need to speak with your program director to see if it's even allowed, then if OK'ed ask other fellows if they know of any leads. If it's an ACGME-accredited fellowship there are very strict rules regarding moonlighting. Doing extra duty behind PD's back could get you fired (more for outside moonlighting and has happened here before).

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both for your replies. To ask the same question in another way, if the program/PD itself allow moonlighting for fellows, can IMG fellow moonligth internally? Is restricted licence that IMGs initially get is sufficient or do they need unrestricted licence which generally takes 2-3 year to get from state medical body and makes moonlighting practically impossible? Is visa type (h1b or j1) is important?

Thank you both for your replies. To ask the same question in another way, if the program/PD itself allow moonlighting for fellows, can IMG fellow moonligth internally? Is restricted licence that IMGs initially get is sufficient or do they need unrestricted licence which generally takes 2-3 year to get from state medical body and makes moonlighting practically impossible? Is visa type (h1b or j1) is important?
The first answer I gave is the answer to your question.

It doesn't take 3 years to get a license for an IMG. Once you have completed the required PGY training (2-3 years in most states), you are eligible for a license the same as any other trainee.

Now...if you're coming here to do a fellowship, but haven't completed any other US training, no, you're not eligible to moonlight. And it's unlikely that anyone would give you a moonlighting gig, either internal or external, without that training, even if you were technically eligible.

The first answer I gave is the answer to your question.

It doesn't take 3 years to get a license for an IMG. Once you have completed the required PGY training (2-3 years in most states), you are eligible for a license the same as any other trainee.

Now...if you're coming here to do a fellowship, but haven't completed any other US training, no, you're not eligible to moonlight. And it's unlikely that anyone would give you a moonlighting gig, either internal or external, without that training, even if you were technically eligible.
Thanks a lot, I just want to make sure which part depends on the program and which part not and mandated by state law (e.g. min. pgy years). Now it's clearer.

1. For the vast majority of cases, you can't moonlight with a temporary/limited/training license
2. You cannot get a full license until you've completed the minimum amount of PGY training that the state you want to practice in requires
3. Even if you have a full/unrestricted license, it is at the discretion of your PD as to whether or not you can moonlight at all.

Your GME office can also clear up any questions you may have if you still aren't sure.

1. For the vast majority of cases, you can't moonlight with a temporary/limited/training license
2. You cannot get a full license until you've completed the minimum amount of PGY training that the state you want to practice in requires
3. Even if you have a full/unrestricted license, it is at the discretion of your PD as to whether or not you can moonlight at all.
In addition, I believe H1b visa holders cannot work a second job without a second visa completely (which no one is going to get for you for a moonlighting gig given the absurd amount of time, money, and paperwork that requires). That would rule out external but not internal moonlighting.

Edit: Changing my line about Js. I was corrected by aProgDirector below. There's even more severe restrictions on J1 visas.

Last edited:
Moonlighting is technically not allowed at all on a J visa. The J does not allow you to work "outside of your sponsored training program". So, if there are extra shifts inside your training program that the program allows people to sign up for, then you can do that. But if you're doing a rads MSK fellowship, you can't just read CXR's on the side for extra cash.

Reactions: 2 users
Moonlighting is technically not allowed at all on a J visa. The J does not allow you to work "outside of your sponsored training program". So, if there are extra shifts inside your training program that the program allows people to sign up for, then you can do that. But if you're doing a rads MSK fellowship, you can't just read CXR's on the side for extra cash.

In my residency program, internal moonlighting was not correct considered outside of our program; it was considered an optional experience. We did not have full licenses. We did not have to obtain separate malpractice insurance. What were we doing? Seeing overflow neurology consults to be staffed the next day. All senior neuro residents and fellows were eligible, regardless of visa.

You can only moonlight externally if you're on an H1b visa and obtain a second, concurrent H1b visa. You cannot moonlight externally anywhere on a J1 visa. I believe you can moonlight internally on both J1 and H1b, but I could be wrong.

In addition, I believe H1b visa holders cannot work a second job without a second visa completely (which no one is going to get for you for a moonlighting gig given the absurd amount of time, money, and paperwork that requires). That would rule out external but not internal moonlighting.
I have a second H1 visa for moonlighting, so yes, it is possible to get one. Actually you don't need a second H1b visa to moonlight, as soon as the application is filed you can moonlight (it just has to be filed with USCIS). It is called a "concurrent H1b" and you can have as many of them as you like. But yes, very few places would be willing to go to the hassle of doing this. As mentioned once you have a full license you can moonlight internally the same as a non-IMG if on an H1b. People do moonlight internally on J1 visas but it is technically not allowed.

Actually, there isn't an absurd amount of time, money or paperwork. it is very simple. The main issue is the additional cost and the lawyer's fee. A paralegal will handle most of the stuff.