Moral support and realistic advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mish550

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Three weeks to go and I'm not where I need to be, but I've been studying! I need to go up at least 3 more points based on TPR 483....possibl? shouldl I plan for august?

Members don't see this ad.

Just take the darned test and stop worrying. There is no magical number that you "need."

The TPR tests are crazy hard. Take AAMC IV (or I've heard V) for a more realistic look at how you may score. Just keep at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Mish. You can definitely bring up your score by a few points in 3 weeks. All you have to do is do TONS of practice passages. Since I'm home on Spring Break, I finally checked my old Kaplan Full Lengths to see my averages. On full length 4 I got a 24 and FL 5 I got 25 and I got a 27 on the real thing (sux). I got 29-30 on aamc test V, and I took that about this time last year.

good luck! keep on studying! :D

Do NOT make the mistake of comparing TPR / Kaplan tests with the REAL MCAT!!! The real MCAT is MUCH easier....no, it's not a piece of cake, but I have come to believe that they make those "practice" tests overly hard 1) to make sure people DO take the real test seriously, and thus study harder and 2) to make a bunch of people feel like they absolutely MUST take a review course to pass the real MCAT. Either way, if you're getting anywhere in the mid-20's on the practice tests, you should do SEVERAL points higher on the real thing!

If it makes you feel any better, I got a dismal 18 (yes, EIGHTEEN) on my Kaplan diagnostic. I thought my med-school dreams were over....but I just kept reviewing (read---I did NOT panic) and my real MCAT ended up being a 29. Not a particularly high score...but I ended up being accepted to 3 schools anyway. Just remember, you want to do as well as you can on the MCAT but it is NOT the end-all-be-all of your med-school application! The adcoms DO look at other stuff...and you'd be surprized to learn how very important all that "other" stuff can be!

Good luck...and don't worry! :D

Do you guys think it will help to study in the same room where MCAT is being administered?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by nb81:
•Do you guys think it will help to study in the same room where MCAT is being administered?•••••That depends on YOU. It might help you, but you would be the best judge of that.

If it was me, I would not. But that's me.

i was thinking the same thing the other day. i was looking at my kaplan class schedule and noticed that there are only three more classes. then i have to take the real test. i'm not ready to take the real test! i need to get a good score or i'm done (that might be a little melodramatic, but i doubt it). then what, plan b? i have no plan b. i don't want a plan b. i think it's going to be a long three weeks until i take this test.