Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Moral support and realistic advice!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mish550, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Mish550

Mish550 Member

Three weeks to go and I'm not where I need to be, but I've been studying! I need to go up at least 3 more points based on TPR 483....possibl? shouldl I plan for august?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat

Just take the darned test and stop worrying. There is no magical number that you "need."

4. nerfornothin

nerfornothin Member

The TPR tests are crazy hard. Take AAMC IV (or I've heard V) for a more realistic look at how you may score. Just keep at it.

5. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    Hi Mish. You can definitely bring up your score by a few points in 3 weeks. All you have to do is do TONS of practice passages. Since I'm home on Spring Break, I finally checked my old Kaplan Full Lengths to see my averages. On full length 4 I got a 24 and FL 5 I got 25 and I got a 27 on the real thing (sux). I got 29-30 on aamc test V, and I took that about this time last year.

good luck! keep on studying! :D

6. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)

Resident [Any Field]
    Do NOT make the mistake of comparing TPR / Kaplan tests with the REAL MCAT!!! The real MCAT is MUCH easier....no, it's not a piece of cake, but I have come to believe that they make those "practice" tests overly hard 1) to make sure people DO take the real test seriously, and thus study harder and 2) to make a bunch of people feel like they absolutely MUST take a review course to pass the real MCAT. Either way, if you're getting anywhere in the mid-20's on the practice tests, you should do SEVERAL points higher on the real thing!

If it makes you feel any better, I got a dismal 18 (yes, EIGHTEEN) on my Kaplan diagnostic. I thought my med-school dreams were over....but I just kept reviewing (read---I did NOT panic) and my real MCAT ended up being a 29. Not a particularly high score...but I ended up being accepted to 3 schools anyway. Just remember, you want to do as well as you can on the MCAT but it is NOT the end-all-be-all of your med-school application! The adcoms DO look at other stuff...and you'd be surprized to learn how very important all that "other" stuff can be!

Good luck...and don't worry! :D

7. DZT

DZT Senior Member

Do you guys think it will help to study in the same room where MCAT is being administered?

8. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by nb81:
    <strong>Do you guys think it will help to study in the same room where MCAT is being administered?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That depends on YOU. It might help you, but you would be the best judge of that.

If it was me, I would not. But that's me.

9. Beav

Beav Junior Member

i was thinking the same thing the other day. i was looking at my kaplan class schedule and noticed that there are only three more classes. then i have to take the real test. i'm not ready to take the real test! i need to get a good score or i'm done (that might be a little melodramatic, but i doubt it). then what, plan b? i have no plan b. i don't want a plan b. i think it's going to be a long three weeks until i take this test.