MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who thinks Columbia’s decisions are coming out today? I have a feeling

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lool I'm hoping! I had a feeling it would be tomorrow, but I prefer your gut feeling to mine!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted to Colorado School of Public Health - Global Health, Epi (1/22) !!!!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 10 users
I am also someone who's used a lot of helpful information from this forum and past ones so figured it was finally my time to contribute. I appreciate everyone helping each other!

Undergrad School
: Small, liberal-arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.92 (SOPHAS verified)
Major: Anthropology
Minor: biology, chemistry
GRE: V:163 (93%), Q: 166 (90%), W: 5.0 (92%)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- co-president of undergrad student global organization for 4 years, completed an associated global health/teaching internship with migrants in Thailand
- summer internship with Quality Improvement team of local health department
- summer applied anthro research, qual interviews on homelessness and addiction in a large city
- Semester abroad in Chile: studied Spanish, traditional medicine, and global health. Completed independent research.
- Year long fellowship doing qualitative research for an NGO that focuses on ACEs and resilience
- Undergrad thesis on ACEs and resilience
- Peace Corps community health education volunteer in Cambodia 2017-2019: maternal child health focus and youth development

LOR: 1 anthropology professor, 1 ngo director who I worked with over 4 years, 1 Peace Corps staff member
Interested in: Qualitative research, global health, community-based development, gender

Applied:
U Washington- Global Health, U Washington- COPHP, UC Berk- Health and Social Behavior (11/30), UCLA- Community Health Sciences (11/3-), GW-Health Promotion (12/8), Tulane-Comm health sciences (12/8), Emory- Global health (12/8), Columbia-Sociomed (11/30), Colorado-Global health (12/11), Harvard-health and social behavior (11/30), Yale- Social and behav sciences (12/8)
Accepted: Tulane (12/15), GW (12/18), Emory (12/18), UW Global Health (1/18), UW COPHP (12/11)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

A fellow health PCV! I hope that the shutdown isn't affecting you guys too much and that maybe we'll be classmates in the fall. All the best from Senegal!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did the admissions committee say they would announce it around this week? :O
I was told they'd start to be released this week and continue through mid-March! Here's to hoping we hear on the earlier end of that time period!

Reactions: 2 users
Will anybody here be attending the GW admitted student reception on Feb. 13th?
I thought about it, but it's not really feasible for me because it's scheduled for a Wednesday evening. Does anyone know if they do any other admitted student events?

I was told they'd start to be released this week and continue through mid-March! Here's to hoping we hear on the earlier end of that time period!

I was reading past acceptances and it seemed they released epi on 1/22 the past few years but Idk about this one ?? Fingers crossed for everyone

When do people think we will hear back from UNC? I know some people have already but I’m starting to get impatient lol

Reactions: 1 users
This forum has been so helpful to me in my application process (mostly providing me with a sense of solidarity) and hopefully my stats will be helpful to someone else!

Undergrad School: Top 50 National Ranked University
Undergrad GPA: 3.2 (SOPHAS Verified)
Major: Biology
GRE: V: 156 (73%), Q: 151 (42%), W: 4.0 (59%)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- Leadership in campus colleges against cancer organization for four years; led the planning and organization of campus Relay for Life and other cancer education/awareness initiatives/events.
- Led the creation and structuring of a new Student Wellness Board for the university.
- Elected to Student Government Association and worked to increase student health and wellness resources on my campus for three years.
- Chair to a Student Wellness Committee for the University.
- Worked part-time job to support myself during undergraduate career.
- Now working in a management training program.

LOR: Associate Student Affairs Dean, Director of Natural Science Division and Academic Advisor, Director of University Health Center

Interests: Health Policy, Social Justice, Healthcare and Wellness Access.

Applied: OHSU-PSU, UCLA, USC, Yale, GWU, University of Maryland

Accepted:
OHSU-PSU (1/18)

Rejected:
UCLA(1/22)

I am considering adding University of San Francisco, but not sure yet!

Last edited:
Just booked my flight for Visit Emory! A friend of mine introduced me to the Hopper app, which watches major airlines to get cheapest fairs. I would definitely recommend having them "watch" flights for you since they basically do the digging for ya. I just got a notification for a flight that was $50-60 cheaper than anything I could find. Only thing, is it doesn't scan Southwest!

I typically book through the airline after I get the notification since its always best to book with them versus a third party. Hopefully ya'll can save some money since I have a feeling March might break our banks a little.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Bump! Do we need to do this or just send our grades for the entire academic year once it's over?

I sent my fall semester grades as soon as I could over winter break. I was told by my schools to update sophas as much as i can and sophas told me that as well!

Are any of you sending updates with fall semester grades?
So this may actually depend on the school. I just called UCLA and they told me to send my transcript once I complete this academic year. But I would definetly recommend contacting each school individually about this.

Just got a rejection from UCLA. Oh well, hopefully some better news to come!

Holy crap I just got into Emory!! Through an email but my portal hasn't been updated!!!

Reactions: 8 users
I think I got an acceptance from Emory. I got an email from the global health department congratulating me on my acceptance and giving me more information about the program. My portal still says under review though...?

Reactions: 6 users
I think I got an acceptance from Emory. I got an email from the global health department congratulating me on my acceptance and giving me more information about the program. My portal still says under review though...?
same situation. i'm taking it as a provisional acceptance?

That is so interesting - my stats are almost identical to yours, and my school list includes GW, Tulane, Harvard and BU. I also submitted all on 11/29, heard from Tulane on 12/4. I submitted BU on 12/5 and heard 12/21; but still have not heard from GW! Good luck.

hahaha, that is so wacky. I've just been rejected from BU, so hopefully for your sake our fates aren't tied!

Just got into Columbia Pop Fam and Health with a Global Health Concentration! :)

Reactions: 13 users
Just got into Columbia’s HPM with a certificate in Heath and Human Rights today!!!

Reactions: 9 users
Congrats you guys! Did you get an email? I didn't, but I logged onto the portal where you check the status of your app and it says I'm in for the SMS department.

Congrats you guys! Did you get an email? I didn't, but I logged onto the portal where you check the status of your app and it says I'm in for the SMS department.

Woke up to an email this morning saying an update has been posted on my portal

I'm assuming SMS is the Sociomedical Sciences department (correct me if I'm wrong). Where on the portal does it say your status? I'm anxiously awaiting a decision.

I'm assuming SMS is the Sociomedical Sciences department (correct me if I'm wrong). Where on the portal does it say your status? I'm anxiously awaiting a decision.

Yep you’re right, Sociomedical Sciences. The page looks totally different, when I first logged in it just took me to a video that starts off like “congrats, you’re gonna love it here” but nothing else was loading. Now more stuff loads but trying to click on the welcome letter from the department chair gives me an error message, so maybe this means they’re still in the process of updating everything?

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted to Columbia for SMS with a certificate in health policy and practice!

Reactions: 7 users
In at Columbia for SMS with social determinants of health certificate!

Reactions: 10 users
Accepted to Columbia for Epi with a certificate in health and human rights! Congrats to everyone else who got in!

These Columbia decisions today make me regret that I didn't ask them for the correct link to the portal yet.

Reactions: 4 users
In for Columbia!

A tip: for the sake of future applicants, formatting a signature makes it really easy to see when people were hearing back since it will attach to every post you make.

I did mine like this:

GPA: GRE: ###V, ###Q, #.#W
Applied:
(Include dates app was submitted)
Accepted: Waitlisted: Rejected: (all including dates, and you can add scholarships by just using "$" or you can put the amount if you're comfortable).

Feel free to add bits of important info (like "IMG") that you feel is pertinent to someone briefly glancing at your signature.

Seeing signatures really helped me keep track of things when going through previous threads--like oh, this person was extremely nervous about getting into XYZ school, but from their signature they got in AND got a scholarship.

Congrats to everyone who is hearing back with good news!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
In at Columbia for sociomedical sciences with a global health certificate!! Congrats to everyone else who got good news today too!

Also, what are your opinions on checking in with a school regarding admissions decisions? I'm going on 9 weeks waiting for a decision from Emory, and am worried my application got lost in the shuffle somehow. Would it be inappropriate to email admissions to check in?

Last edited:
Accepted to Columbia SMS with a certificate in Health & Human Rights!!!

Reactions: 5 users
In at Columbia for sociomedical sciences with a global health certificate!! Congrats to everyone else who got good news today too!

Also, what are your opinions on checking in with a school regarding admissions decisions? I'm going on 9 weeks waiting for a decision from Emory, and am worried my application got lost in the shuffle somehow. Would it be inappropriate to email admissions to check in?

I got in for the same thing too! I would call Emory and talk to them.

Also, if you were accepted in Emory, which one would you choose?

Also, if you were accepted in Emory, which one would you choose?

I have this question too, for fellow applicants that got into both Emory and Columbia for Epi! Any insight is appreciated, anything at all!

Same! I've been waiting on Emory for a while for BSHE. Nothing yet.