MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted to UNC for Health Behavior today! Tough decision to make between Emory and UNC now..

Congrats! Have you received a letter from Gillings yet? I applied to the Health Behavior program and received an acceptance letter from the graduate school but haven't received a letter from Gillings. I contacted the admissions office last week and they said I should receive an email on the 16th (but its now the 17th and still haven't gotten anything yet...). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Have you received a letter from Gillings yet? I applied to the Health Behavior program and received an acceptance letter from the graduate school but haven't received a letter from Gillings. I contacted the admissions office last week and they said I should receive an email on the 16th (but its now the 17th and still haven't gotten anything yet...). Thanks!
I just received my letter directly from Gillings this afternoon.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you receive the graduate school letter before that or was the Gillings letter the first one you received?
Graduate school letter on 12/21, Gillings today. also, I reached out last week and they said admitted students day info should go out this week, but I haven’t received that. They said it’s scheduled for April 5 for MPH students.

Graduate school letter on 12/21, Gillings today. also, I reached out last week and they said admitted students day info should go out this week, but I haven’t received that. They said it’s scheduled for April 5 for MPH students.

That makes me feel a lot better. I got my graduate school letter on 12/20 so about the same time. I emailed them again today just to be sure I didn't miss anything. I was just getting worried that the first letter was a fluke or something lol. And thanks, that's good to know!

That makes me feel a lot better. I got my graduate school letter on 12/20 so about the same time. I emailed them again today just to be sure I didn't miss anything. I was just getting worried that the first letter was a fluke or something lol. And thanks, that's good to know!
I hear you. They also said scholarship info would be released mid-February.:xf:

I haven't received any information from them yet! Only the acceptance from the graduate school :)

Just checked my Wolverine Access, was accepted to UMich's MPH-HMP!! No email yet...

Out of curiosity, where would it say this? The only status indicator I can find is that my application is incomplete.

Out of curiosity, where would it say this? The only status indicator I can find is that my application is incomplete.
It says "View Admissions Recommendation" right next to where it says my app is complete

I committed to Emory last year and will be attending this fall and received a lot of insight into the cost of living in Atlanta.

To start, here is a link to Emory's Cost of Living guide that includes budgeting, choosing affordable housing, and even transportation costs: Rollins School of Public Health | Cost of Living in Atlanta

Places to live in Atlanta near Emory (posted by another poster from 2018 forum):
  • Inman Park
  • Little Five Points
  • Decatur
  • East Atlanta Village
  • Kirkwood
  • Oakhurst
  • Candler Park
  • Virginia Highland
  • Villa International Atlanta
    • half a mile walking from Rollins, and bang opposite the CDC for those interested in working there.
    • Utilities, washing, and housekeeping are part of the fee
    • the hosts at Villa are incredibly warm and helpful.
  • Grant Park
  • Cabbagetown
Here is a copy and paste of more info and notes on neighborhoods around Emory that were posted in last year's forum, you're welcome to look through it if you want:
  • Little Five Points, Inman Park, Decatur, Grant Park, Virginia Highland are all neighborhoods accessible to Emory with restaurants, bars, cafes, grocery stores, theaters, and parks that don't require driving alongside commuters.
  • Emory Woods Apartments near N Decatur/Clairmont
  • Smaller complexes on Briarcliff and Ponce de Leon.
  • Also, for people looking at Emory who don't have cars - look at the free commuter shuttle routes and narrow down your housing options along those routes. transportation.emory.edu/shuttles/index.html
  • Google "Emory's Cliff Shuttles"
    • Look under "Commuter Routes.
  • Live in Decatur and have a short shuttle ride to campus
  • Decatur is on the MARTA line, so if you lived there, you could get most places in Atlanta
  • Decatur that has a nice restaurant/bar scene and taking the shuttle in

Thanks so much! This is SO helpful. I haven't committed anywhere yet, but Emory is definitely my first choice so far (still waiting on UNC and JHU to make a final decision)!

Reactions: 2 users
Just saw on my personalized JHU page I was accepted to the full-time MPH (11 month) program! Haven't received an email yet. Does anyone know if they tell you about funding in your acceptance email?

Congrats! That's amazing. Can you please let us when you submitted your application and when it was officially verified.

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all! I was recently accepted to Brown's MPH program and it said I had received aid and would be contacted, but it's been two days and I haven't heard anything. I read on here that the tuition aid is 25% but I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone.

Also, has anyone heard back from UNC's Maternal and Child Health program? Super anxious waiting for an email haha!

Hey y'all! I was recently accepted to Brown's MPH program and it said I had received aid and would be contacted, but it's been two days and I haven't heard anything. I read on here that the tuition aid is 25% but I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone

Congrats! My Brown acceptance also mentioned aid, but I haven’t gotten a follow-up on specifics yet!
(Also anxiously awaiting UNC)

I feel so undecided and worried, although I have heard from 7 out of 14 universities which I’ve applied. These months are going to be my most challenging ones so far! While I’m waiting for hearing from JHU, UNC, Harvard, etc., my biggest concern is merit-based scholarships from previous accepted programs, without which I cannot afford or even survive the 2-years tuition and living expenses. What do you think guys? How much chance do I have for scholarships? What is happening in your mind these days? Receiving More acceptances or Scholarships? :)

In the same boat as you! Also trying to navigate this dual degree with my MBA apps as well. It's nerve-wracking! It's becoming more real how pricey this all will be and my fingers are crossed! Hoping for the very best for us all over this next few months.:xf::xf:

Reactions: 3 users
As I offered earlier on the thread, I'm more than happy to talk with anyone interested in Emory! I don't follow this thread closely enough to respond to most posts, but I absolutely love it here and would love to answer questions that any of you may have!

I am a first-year GLEPI MPH student interested in pandemic preparedness. I work at the CDC as a REAL job (I will also be staying as ORISE this summer for my practicum) and am heavily involved in one of the major preparedness clubs!

If you all come to Visit Emory, you'll definitely meet me-- I'll be there as an ambassador and representing my club!

Reactions: 8 users
Undergrad School: University of Georgia
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.67 overall/ 3.97 major
Major/Minor: Wildlife Science
GRE V 158 (76%), Q 152 (51%), Writing 4.5 (86%)

Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- Research technician on a zoonotic disease project investigating the transmission of Newcastle Disease between songbirds and domestic poultry and humans
- Senior thesis candidate; investigating copepods as intermediate hosts of Guinea Worm
- Veterinary assistant

Letter of Recommendations:
A veterinarian I work under, my research advisor, my manager at work, my professor from my study abroad last summer

Interested in: Veterinary epi, zoonotic disease prevention

Applied (include the date of application):
University of Georgia (my in state)- verified 12/28
Colorado State University- verified 12/28

Accepted: Still waiting
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Accepted to UGA 1/17!

Reactions: 1 users
Those accepted to BU: Has anyone not received their acceptance package in the mail yet? I got accepted 12/19 and was told they take 7-10 days to arrive, but could be longer with the holidays. I emailed last Friday, 1/11, to ask if it had possibly gotten sent back. They said no, but it was probably still on its way due to the holidays. It's been four weeks now and still nothing.. not sure when I should start to worry!

To all who will be attending the Emory admitted students session, do share your experience of the event! I wish I could make it but a lot of continents come in the way. :arghh:

Also, when does Harvard send out decisions?

Last edited:
To all who will be attending the Emory admitted students session, do share your experience of the event! I wish I could make it but a lot of continents come in the way.

Also, when does Harvard send out decisions?

Dear Ramaq, congratulations on your Emory acceptance from another IMG
Harvard will probably release on late Feb/early Mar
Which exact programs have you applied in Harvard, Emory and JHU? I’ve applied to SM-42.5 in Harvard, Epi MSPH in Emory, and Epi MHS in JHU

Longtime lurker here—figured I’d join in now that I’m finally hearing back from some programs!

Undergrad School
: Small liberal arts
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.56
Major/Minor: Biochemistry and Public Health (Pre-Med)
MCAT: Chem/Phys: 128 CARS: 126 Bio/Biochem: 129 Psych/Soc: 128 Total: 511 (84th percentile)
Experience/Research:
-Biological anthropology research w college professor (~2 semesters) and presentation at undergraduate poster presentation (AAA Annual Conference)
-Summer research internship at UMass Medical Shool in Biochem lab
-Summer internship at non-profit in Washington, DC w independent research focusing on best practices in health communication
-Internship/senior thesis research (2 semesters) at Needle Exchange Program focusing on effectiveness/appropriateness of harm reduction education resources for active injection drug users
-Part-time job as EMT (paid—3 years)/acted as student director of squad (volunteer—2 years)
-Full-time job as Harm Reduction Counselor at Needle Exchange Program (8 months post-grad)
-Full-time job as Nursing Assistant at VA Hospital (8 months post-grad)
-Full-time job as medical assistant at private optometry practice (5 months post-grad)
LOR:
-Advisor/biology professor
-Advisor/anthropology professor
-Supervisor from internship/job at needle exchange
Interests: Only applying to 1-year MPH programs to fill my gap-year (2019-2020) in between now and med school (applying in June for 2020-2021 academic year). Mostly interested in healthcare delivery, systems of oppression, and health disparities in the US.

Applying: Johns Hopkins, NYU Cross-Continental, and Dartmouth (all verified 11/30)
Interviewing: Dartmouth (heard back 12/20–interview on 1/17)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
Accepted:
NYU Cross-Continental (1/14), Johns Hopkins (1/16)

Did anyone else get into the Cross-Continental Program? I’ve read the infamous reddit post, so I obviously have my reservations, but the program seems interesting. I’d like to consider it, but they gave me a deadline of Feb. 1st which seems like much too soon—especially when I’m still waiting to hear back from other programs!
Literally in the same boat as you about the Cross-Continental Program! I also asked for a an extension on the acceptance!

**Important Dates**
Dear friends, these are my notes from the last TIPH virtual fair:
Emory > Scholarships on Late Feb/Early Mar
GW> Scholarships on the first week of Feb
Icahn> Scholarships on early March
UMich> Scholarships > Feb
UMN > Scholarships> the last week of Jan to the 2nd week of Feb

Wish you all the best, fingers crossed

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Does anyone know if indicating on your application that you tend to enroll part-time makes you ineligible for scholarships? I’m thinking specifically of GW and NYU. NYU I’m pretty sure this is the case for, since it says answering the question is required for scholarship consideration...

Dear Ramaq, congratulations on your Emory acceptance from another IMG
Harvard will probably release on late Feb/early Mar
Which exact programs have you applied in Harvard, Emory and JHU? I’ve applied to SM-42.5 in Harvard, Epi MSPH in Emory, and Epi MHS in JHU

Hey, thank you and congratulations to you too! :)
I applied for Global Health at Emory, MPH at JHU and the 45 credits MPH at Harvard. I was really confused about the respective fields and I wish I had the chance to know more on a deeper level.

Those accepted to BU: Has anyone not received their acceptance package in the mail yet? I got accepted 12/19 and was told they take 7-10 days to arrive, but could be longer with the holidays. I emailed last Friday, 1/11, to ask if it had possibly gotten sent back. They said no, but it was probably still on its way due to the holidays. It's been four weeks now and still nothing.. not sure when I should start to worry!
I live in Boston bad still have not received mine (admitted 12/20). I called to ask and they said don’t worry until February, and if I hadn’t seen it by then to call. So I wouldn’t worry! It’ll arrive eventually.

Did anyone apply to UIC and hear from them ?
I applied there at the beginning of December and the only communication I received was an initial email saying my UIC application had been received. That email has a link to a status page where you can check your application status, but they never sent me any additional communication beyond that one email.

Got into JHU MHS in Epi!! I submitted on 12/26/verified then too!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I applied there at the beginning of December and the only communication I received was an initial email saying my UIC application had been received. That email has a link to a status page where you can check your application status, but they never sent me any additional communication beyond that one email.

Same here. The status page says in review with the department. Which department did you apply to ?

Accepted to UNC MPH in Health Behavior! What a relief. In-state tuition here I come!!!

In all seriousness, I am still keeping my options open and waiting for funding notifications. Will definitely be seeing some of you at Visit Emory also!

Reactions: 5 users
I would love some insight from you all about something. I'm hoping to get my PhD after completing my MPH as I love the idea of being in academia and being a public health practitioner at the same time.

I was talking to a current student at Emory about my grad plans and she said that MPH concentrations in fields like health behavior, social and behavioral health sciences, community health, etc. are not taken as seriously as other concentrations during PhD admissions processes. Is there any truth to this?

I find it surprising because I would want to get my PhD in a related field and I also have a behavioral research background. Additionally, if any of you have suggestions about how best to prepare for PhD admissions as an MPH student, I would love to hear them! I plan to enter a research position as quickly as possible and seek the guidance of whatever faculty advisor I'm assigned. Thanks so much and good luck to you all these next few months!!!

I would love some insight from you all about something. I'm hoping to get my PhD after completing my MPH as I love the idea of being in academia and being a public health practitioner at the same time.

I was talking to a current student at Emory about my grad plans and she said that MPH concentrations in fields like health behavior, social and behavioral health sciences, community health, etc. are not taken as seriously as other concentrations during PhD admissions processes. Is there any truth to this?

I find it surprising because I would want to get my PhD in a related field and I also have a behavioral research background. Additionally, if any of you have suggestions about how best to prepare for PhD admissions as an MPH student, I would love to hear them! I plan to enter a research position as quickly as possible and seek the guidance of whatever faculty advisor I'm assigned. Thanks so much and good luck to you all these next few months!!!

Hey! I also plan on pursuing a PhD after my MPH. All my mentors have MPH degrees in community health/health behavior and went to very prestigious PhD programs (Hopkins, UNC-Chapel Hill, Emory, Penn State, UPenn, etc.). Similarly, I know many students who are currently in PhD programs at the University at Buffalo, Hopkins and UNC that have MPH degrees in community health. So I don't think that statement stands true. Just wanted to give you my insight!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey! I also plan on pursuing a PhD after my MPH. All my mentors have MPH degrees in community health/health behavior and went to very prestigious PhD programs (Hopkins, UNC-Chapel Hill, Emory, Penn State, UPenn, etc.). Similarly, I know many students who are currently in PhD programs at the University at Buffalo, Hopkins and UNC that have MPH degrees in community health. So I don't think that statement stands true. Just wanted to give you my insight!

Great to hear, thank you!

Well, that's both totally false and a little offensive to the field of behavioral science. Your MPH concentration and coursework should align with your PhD field. The most important things in PhD applications are to show research potential in the field you want your degree in and good fit with the school/lab to which you're applying. Neither of those are going to be made easier by spending your time during your MPH degree learning content outside your discipline.

That said, I'd really recommend taking as many research methods courses as you can during your MPH. While content-based classes are often interesting, you want to prioritize building skills that will be useful to future PIs. I have found epidemiology methods classes to be pretty universally useful in public health and would recommend taking as many as you can as electives once you've exhausted research methods classes in your department. If there's a class on intervention design or randomized control trials (in any department), I'd recommend taking that as well.

I'm a second year MPH student who has applied to social/behavioral science PhD programs (and one social epidemiology program). We are in interview season now, so I don't have any acceptances/rejections to report, but I am cautiously optimistic about my chances and feel totally prepared to go right from my MPH to my PhD. Feel free to PM me with questions!

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted to JHU Epi MHS :bow: It will make my decision harder than before!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Accepted to JHU Epi MHS :bow: It will make my decision harder than before...Only considerable scholarships from other universities can make me to decline JHU offer!
Congrats! Did they email you?

No, only in JHU portal.

Well, that's both totally false and a little offensive to the field of behavioral science. Your MPH concentration and coursework should align with your PhD field. The most important things in PhD applications are to show research potential in the field you want your degree in and good fit with the school/lab to which you're applying. Neither of those are going to be made easier by spending your time during your MPH degree learning content outside your discipline.

That said, I'd really recommend taking as many research methods courses as you can during your MPH. While content-based classes are often interesting, you want to prioritize building skills that will be useful to future PIs. I have found epidemiology methods classes to be pretty universally useful in public health and would recommend taking as many as you can as electives once you've exhausted research methods classes in your department. If there's a class on intervention design or randomized control trials (in any department), I'd recommend taking that as well.

I'm a second year MPH student who has applied to social/behavioral science PhD programs (and one social epidemiology program). We are in interview season now, so I don't have any acceptances/rejections to report, but I am cautiously optimistic about my chances and feel totally prepared to go right from my MPH to my PhD. Feel free to PM me with questions!

I know right! I completely agree. I wanted to tell her as much but she has much more experience in the field of public health and I just didn't feel confident enough to defend myself.

Thank you for your advice! I will absolutely be PMing you once I get all my funding/financial aid info in and I start considering which program to choose.

Best wishes to you during your PhD app cycle!

Awesome! Is that the "personal site" they sent out when they emailed about receiving apps?
Exactly Yes, it completely changes when one becomes admitted.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from University of Minnesota? I applied in early of November and still haven't heard from them...

Has anyone heard from University of Minnesota? I applied in early of November and still haven't heard from them...
I have heard for Epi MPH on 1/14
With taking into consideration that they will release their scholarships information on the last week of Jan, I think you should make contact with your department.

I also heard back on the 14th of this month. I would wait until maybe the middle of the week to reach out to the department. I know in the virtual fair they said that most departments have begun meeting this week and last week, so maybe they're working their way to your application.

Wow as someone who isn't sure yet if they do want to pursue a PhD this definitely did offend me a bit. I totally agree with @wwmmkk said about MPH needing to align with research goals. As long as you would pursue an PhD in the HB/SBS field I think you'd be fine, while you might have to prove yourself a little more if you wanted to get a PhD in epi or biostats.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow as someone who isn't sure yet if they do want to pursue a PhD this definitely did offend me a bit. I totally agree with @wwmmkk said about MPH needing to align with research goals. As long as you would pursue an PhD in the HB/SBS field I think you'd be fine, while you might have to prove yourself a little more if you wanted to get a PhD in epi or biostats.

Agreed. She sort of scoffed when I told her my concentration of choice (she's epi). Not really the inclusive attitude PH programs look for.

All good. I'm looking forward to studying the behavioral sciences greatly!

Hey guys. Great post. I was wondering if anyone has heard back from the MPH-Epi part-time program at JHU?. Appreciate your input on that.

I know most financial aid packages haven't been released yet, but just so I know what I'm getting myself into, can anyone elaborate on how they were able to negotiate for more aid? And were you guys able to know your definite cost for the school (after loans + scholarships + grants) before the usual deadline of April 1st? If not, were you able to extend your deadline?

OHSU told me that their financial aid packages don't get processed until the summer, which is super strange to me. So I am hoping that all my other schools get their packages done before the April 1st deadline.