MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's sounding like some people have had bad experiences interacting with schools throughout this process. The way a school comes across to potential students is definitely a contributing factor to the choice we make. Does anybody else want to share experiences that might be pushing them away or towards a school? For me, UW has impressed me with their willingness to meet with me and their prompt communication
UMN has impressed me with their responsiveness, and sophisticated behavior. I think the UMN is the most underrated top 10 school here.
I hope we could start to review the schools and programs by the rank order and share our thoughts, experiences, and information regarding their pros and cons. It will be wonderful for us and also for next years applicants. We can make a new thread, or continue here. 1 day for each top 10 schools, 2 schools per day for 10-20th rank, and 3 schools per day for +20. (25 days for all of the US-News top 50 public health schools)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
UMN has impressed me with their responsiveness, and sophisticated behavior. I think the UMN is the most underrated top 10 school here.
I hope we could start to review the schools and programs by the rank order and share our thoughts, experiences, and information regarding their pros and cons. It will be wonderful for us and also for next years applicants. We can make a new thread, or continue here. 1 day for each top 10 schools, 2 schools per day for 10-20th rank, and 3 schools per day for +20. (25 days for all of the US-News top 50 public health schools)

Can confirm. Minnesota is underrated for so many things! :)

Reactions: 2 users

I think that's a great idea! Maybe once people attend visit days they will have more to contribute?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's sounding like some people have had bad experiences interacting with schools throughout this process. The way a school comes across to potential students is definitely a contributing factor to the choice we make. Does anybody else want to share experiences that might be pushing them away or towards a school? For me, UW has impressed me with their willingness to meet with me and their prompt communication
I've had great experiences with the Tulane epi faculty and program director offering to set up phone calls and personal visits and overall educating me on not only the program but life in New Orleans. I haven't seen many people on this years or last years forum who commit to Tulane but I know a lot of you guys applied. All I can say is the epi department seems great!

I've had great experiences with the Tulane epi faculty and program director offering to set up phone calls and personal visits and overall educating me on not only the program but life in New Orleans. I haven't seen many people on this years or last years forum who commit to Tulane but I know a lot of you guys applied. All I can say is the epi department seems great!

I'm also considering Tulane, though for environmental health - disaster management. When did you hear about scholarship/financial aid?

Reactions: 1 user
Also want to add my experience with Tulane that the department had contacted me about answering any questions I might have! They had their current graduate students call me to answer my questions and it was very nice to have an idea about Tulane and their epi program. I'm still waiting for their financial aid though.

Reactions: 1 users
Also want to add my experience with Tulane that the department had contacted me about answering any questions I might have! They had their current graduate students call me to answer my questions and it was very nice to have an idea about Tulane and their epi program. I'm still waiting for their financial aid though.
Also chiming in here. I've committed to TU for epi (interested to see what Cal says though). My sibling has been there from undergrad to now med school & the faculty there are incredible. I've visited often - the area and the public health school - incredible opportunities with a welcoming, supporting environment. They're also ranked pretty high right near Cal/BU I believe. Always willing to reach out and help with anything.

Can’t believe I am saying this but... hating that weekends are off and two additional days of waiting for ANY decisions. :bang:

Literally visiting this thread for the 5th time.

Reactions: 15 users
Can’t believe I am saying this but... hating that weekends are off and two additional days of waiting for ANY decisions. :bang:

Same here..lol. Just wishing that Harvard releases their decision this week. It feels like I am waiting for them since eternity..

Reactions: 7 users

Honestly same & the fact that it’s a long weekend because tomorrow is a holiday is making me crazy :lame:

Reactions: 5 users
On the bright side, isnt harvard releasing decisions this week? Someone earlier said 22/23 is their usual

Members don't see this ad :)
So for me right now, taking price, location, the school into account, the school at the top of my list is UTHealth Houston. If anyone has any input on the school itself I’d love to hear it!
Also, if anyone else has applied, have you heard about funding?

So for me right now, taking price, location, the school into account, the school at the top of my list is UTHealth Houston. If anyone has any input on the school itself I’d love to hear it!
Also, if anyone else has applied, have you heard about funding?

I'm actually visiting UTHealth this Friday - let me know what you would like to learn about the program (I applied for Epi). I got a $1000 scholarship which automatically qualifies me for in-state tuition. The priority deadline for scholarship was Dec. 1st.

Does anybody know whether the UMich and Emory have a second round of Merit Scholarships?

Also, I had heard that the Ohio State University offers some fellowships which cover tuition and fees! Has anybody heard from them?

Also chiming in here. I've committed to TU for epi (interested to see what Cal says though). My sibling has been there from undergrad to now med school & the faculty there are incredible. I've visited often - the area and the public health school - incredible opportunities with a welcoming, supporting environment. They're also ranked pretty high right near Cal/BU I believe. Always willing to reach out and help with anything.
I'm thinking about committing to TU for epi as well! Would it be okay if I PM you on SDN?

Does anybody know whether the UMich and Emory have a second round of Merit Scholarships?

Also, I had heard that the Ohio State University offers some fellowships which cover tuition and fees! Has anybody heard from them?
I was nominated for a graduate fellowship from OSU! If you applied before their priority deadline (I think is some time in December or January?), you are automatically considered for it. Today is the first day I should be able to hear back; if I get this, I think I'll most likely commit to going there because the graduate fellowship pays for the 1st year tuition as well as a monthly stipend for 12 months. On top of that, I'd be able to apply for Ohio residency and their in-state tuition is $13,256 for the year.

I was nominated for a graduate fellowship from OSU! If you applied before their priority deadline (I think is some time in December or January?), you are automatically considered for it. Today is the first day I should be able to hear back; if I get this, I think I'll most likely commit to going there because the graduate fellowship pays for the 1st year tuition as well as a monthly stipend for 12 months. On top of that, I'd be able to apply for Ohio residency and their in-state tuition is $13,256 for the year.
Great, congrats! When had you been notified about your nomination? Then It seems that I should forget about it.

Hey everyone! I have an interview with Thomas Jefferson's MPH program in about 2 weeks. Can someone please describe what kind of questions they asked?
Hi there,

(I literally joined this forum to reply to this post!) I received an interview, which was, in my case, just a discussion of logistics and some clarifying questions. Pretty informal. All the best!

Late to the thread, but here it is! (A bit concerned about my lack of research)

Grad School
: LCME-accredited medical school
Grad GPA/Major GPA: My school has pass/fail system, so no GPA :/
GRE: V: 159 (83%), Q: 157 (65%), W: 4.5 (Nov 2018)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- extensive voluntary experience (e.g. teaching refugee children, leadership/ambassadorial roles in nonprofits)
- 1 paper in the last stages in medical school
- limited research experience

LOR: one from vice-chancellor, one from research supervisor, one from faculty/attending at medical school & a bonus one from a nonprofit I represent.

Interests: MPH in behavior/global health (accelerated MPH - 45 credits)

Applying: Harvard (HSB-45), Yale (Global Health), Columbia (General MPH), Thomas Jefferson (LEAP MPH)
Accepted: Thomas Jefferson (2/7 w/ scholarship)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

All the best, everyone :)!

Last edited:

I'm certainly hoping so for Emory! However, I'm tempering expectations, since they don't give THAT many out total, and we've already heard of a few people getting one on here. My heart did skip a beat when I got a (completely unrelated) email from Emory this morning.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm certainly hoping so for Emory! However, I'm tempering expectations, since they don't give THAT many out total, and we've already heard of a few people getting one on here. My heart did skip a beat when I got a (completely unrelated) email from Emory this morning.
I hope so! I cannot understand how a GPA:3.9 with a GRE:338 haven’t yet received any scholarships! Maybe they are gonna send their more prestigious offers later!

After reading great things about Tulane and their approach towards students, I'm leaning towards Tulane. But still waiting for that financial aid offer.. did you already get your financial aid award?

After reading great things about Tulane and their approach towards students, I'm leaning towards Tulane. But still waiting for that financial aid offer.. did you already get your financial aid award?
Nope, I did FAFSA last Tuesday lol

Did anyone apply to USC’s MPH? I applied back in December and haven’t heard anything about decisions...
I did! I haven't heard back either but last year it seemed people found out in late feb-march! Also I had some issue with one of my recommender's letter of rec being blank, and they actually emailed me to let me know in early January, so they probably started looking at them in mid-January or so! Good luck :)

I can't say anything about OSU's MPH program, since I didn't apply, but I went there for undergrad, so if either of you have any questions about campus/Columbus/whatever, feel free to DM me.

I got 2 unrelated emails from them, and I wasn't able to see the subject lines on my phone, just that they were from Emory, and the first one started "Hello [my name], we are pleased to announce..." It was about them getting funding to open a new building for their public health program. FML.

I hope so! I cannot understand how a GPA:3.9 with a GRE:338 haven’t yet received any scholarships! Maybe they are gonna send their more prestigious offers later!

I'm not sure how competitive I am for the more prestigious offers, but that's what I'm hoping for, too.

Hey everyone! I am still trying to decide where to go lol if anyone is down to chat and discuss some pros/cons of some schools with me, send me a PM please! :)

Hey squad! I was wondering how many of us applied to Washington University in St. Louis. I've heard that it's a great (albeit smaller, newer, and relatively unknown) program. They tend to be pretty generous with merit funding and I'm loving the friendliness they've shown in their communication. Yet, I'm struggling to determine whether the lower price and personal attention is worth giving up JHU, especially since I want to eventually apply to JHU for their International Health PhD. Anyone having somewhat of a similar dilemma?

Also, would any of you guys be interested in starting a Masters to PhD thread? I feel that the different strengths of our respective masters programs means that some will help us become more marketable as PhD candidates than others. I'd love to discuss this in more depth with you all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hey squad! I was wondering how many of us applied to Washington University in St. Louis. I've heard that it's a great (albeit smaller, newer, and relatively unknown) program. They tend to be pretty generous with merit funding and I'm loving the friendliness they've shown in their communication. Yet, I'm struggling to determine whether the lower price and personal attention is worth giving up JHU, especially since I want to eventually apply to JHU for their International Health PhD. Anyone having somewhat of a similar dilemma?

Also, would any of you guys be interested in starting a Masters to PhD thread? I feel that the different strengths of our respective masters programs means that some will help us become more marketable as PhD candidates than others. I'd love to discuss this in more depth with you all!

Hi. I am interested in global health and I am also an international student but did my undergrad in the US. For me, I found that the list of schools that can offer a great global health education is very limited. While any program can give you access to opportunities to work at the local health department or local non-profit, very few schools can give you the opportunity to do quality research or practicums abroad. Emphasis on quality. As an African working in Africa, I have seen American DrPH or PhD students come to my country or other African countries I have worked in and only come out with experience that would be even below an undergrad, often as a result of being desperate to just do a practicum/research abroad. The most meaningful opportunities come through institutional partnerships between the American university and local organizations. Eg Jhpiego (Hopkins), ICAP (Columbia) are pretty established and have wide reach, people who have gone to these schools have often got great practicum/research experiences through these institutions. My two cents is that where you get your global/international health grad education matters, lots of great US university names mean nothing outside US boarders its worth investing in a program that has global reach.

Reactions: 14 users
Hi. I am interested in global health and I am also an international student but did my undergrad in the US. For me, I found that the list of schools that can offer a great global health education is very limited. While any program can give you access to opportunities to work at the local health department or local non-profit, very few schools can give you the opportunity to do quality research or practicums abroad. Emphasis on quality. As an African working in Africa, I have seen American DrPH or PhD students come to my country or other African countries I have worked in and only come out with experience that would be even below an undergrad, often as a result of being desperate to just do a practicum/research abroad. The most meaningful opportunities come through institutional partnerships between the American university and local organizations. Eg Jhpiego (Hopkins), ICAP (Columbia) are pretty established and have wide reach, people who have gone to these schools have often got great practicum/research experiences through these institutions. My two cents is that where you get your global/international health grad education matters, lots of great US university names mean nothing outside US boarders its worth investing in a program that has global reach.
I feel this. I've been working in Malawi/Zambia for the last few years and i've seen COUNTLESS MPH/PHD students come through for 3-8 weeks on practicums and was astounded at the lack of output their trip brought. It's important to have a meaningful / impactful practicum based on your skills and experience especially if you're going to come over here and exercise the privilege that it takes to be able to travel to Africa on a whim in the first place. And for Pete's sake, don't refuse to do tasks you feel are "below" you because you're sitting atop the academic ivory tower.

Hi MuppetLord, I also got accepted to WashU and I must say that I have been very impressed with the uni, program, admission staff and everything basically. My only concern was the fact that the Brown school has a very high reputation for social work (1st or 2nd in the country) but not so high for MPH. However, that has even turned out to be a big plus for me now because of the interdisciplinary advantage it presents. I must add that I don't have PhD plans though.
To sum it all up, I received merit and need based awards adding up to about 90% of tuition (and I am waiting on some potential MRF positions too) and it's just unfair for me to turn down such an offer. They have really made the decision easy for me and I'll be committing even sooner that I thought).
In your case, I think its very obvious the opportunies and the advantage JH will give you for a PhD. But then again, you need to consider other factors such as tuition and funding, research, practicum, faculty, location and so on. If JH ticks most of these boxes, then you should go for it. I'm sure you wouldn't regret it.
Congratulations and good luck! +pity+

U applied to which program? I got my decision 1 week + ago

I applied in November for MPH- Healthcare management. I guess you applied for Epidemiology. Epidemiology applicants get their decision earlier than others

Last edited:

Personally, I think merit funding + personal attention can trump prestige if you are confident the program has plenty of opportunities to develop and apply the skill set needed to be competitive for PhD applications. That said, I would ensure you have access to those opportunities, the right mentorship available, and what the stats are for previous students who apply to PhD programs. I have plans to apply to PhD programs upon completion of my MPH as well and research fit at each institution has been one of my top two consideration factors. On that note, I would definitely appreciate a thread dedicated to Masters to PhD!

BTW, I feel like when I was combing through last year's thread there were multiple discussions of Wash U, in case you haven't already read them. I don't know if they apply to this question.

PS. congrats on the Emory funding!

Very interested in this thread as well!

I know I'm late to the party, but wanted to say I applied and got into ALL 7 of my graduate schools for my MPH programs! Super excited to see the next steps and wanted to post my stats
School
: American University (AU) (graduating May 2019)
GPA/Major GPA:
3.27 (SOPHAS made a mistake and calculated it as 3.17) / 3.50
GRE: V: 152 (56%), Q: 153 (50%), W: 4.5 (Nov 2018)
- Research Intern at Drug Information Association (DIA) for 4 months
- e-Health Policy Intern at HIMSS for 4 months
- Program Support Assistant (Pathways Program) at the NIH Clinical Center for 5 months
-Business Development & Marketing Intern at Nexus 8 International, LLC for 3 months

LOR: one from the Director of the public health program at AU, one from professor, one from the VP of Government Relations at health IT internship

Interests: MPH in Health Policy & Management

Applying: Boston University (Healthcare Management), Rutgers University (Health Systems & Policy), GW (Health Policy), University of Pittsburgh (Health Policy & Management), University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (Healthcare Management), NYU (Public Health Policy & Management), Brown University (Health Services concentration)
Accepted: BU +$, Rutgers, GW +$, Pitt, UTHealth, NYU +$, Brown +$ (25%)
Rejected: NONE

Reactions: 8 users

I've got to say I totally agree. For being a smaller/newer program, I am thoroughly impressed with how good their communication is and how kind and forthcoming they are.

That being said, I'm facing the same dilemma you are (though I don't have PhD plans just yet). Looking forward to meeting up and talking about it this weekend in person.

Hi everyone. I figured I should post my stats since I'm still pretty shocked that with my gre scores I was admitted anywhere

School: University of Florida (graduating May 2019)
GPA/Major GPA:
3.6/4.0
GRE: V: 152 (56%), Q: 147 (26%), W: 4.5
-Summer intern for environmental health county department
-RA with qualitative sex trafficking scoping review and social network analysis for 2 years (2 publishing's pending)
-RA for Perioperative Cognitive Anesthetic Network(PeCAN) program to assess cognitive problems in patients 65 and older before surgery.
-few other RA positions

LOR: great

Interests: MPH in Epidemiology

Applying: Columbia (Epi/Chronic Epi), UCLA (Epi), CU Anschutz (Epi + Biostats), UC Berkeley (epi), UC Irvine (epi), UNC Chapel Hill (epi)
Accepted: Columbia, UCLA, Colorado (biostats), UC Irvine +$
Rejected: Colorado Epi (but reapplied and got accepted to biostats??)

So my biggest issue now is deciding! Like everyone else. $ is a huge factor, and I did not receive any scholarships except for a few grand from Irvine. And if I'm going to a UC its going to be UCLA, well, actually Berkeley but odds are that one isn't happening. I'm in love with Colorado because I rock climb, but it's hard to turn away from these other prestigious schools. I also am currently in UF's combined degree program, taking grad epi classes and could finish my MPH for extremely cheap in a year. I'm really ready to leave and start fresh, but weighing the pros and cons of the price I would have to pay. Also, in a long distance relationship and hoping to use this opportunity to finally be in the same place, except he is just as open ended and unsure of where to go next. He equally loves rock climbing which is why Denver is a huge pull. If anyone has any advice on getting additional funds, such as, is it acceptable to call a schools financial aid office or admissions office and ask for $? I'm expecting to get a RA position wherever I go and work but I don't think that will be close to enough for what I will need. Thanks for reading this not-so-coherent panic dilemma.

Undergrad School: SUNY, graduated 2018
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.96 (SOPHAS verified)
Major/Minor: Biology/Political Science
GRE: V: 158, Q: 155, W: 4.5
- 3 years research throughout undergrad regarding youth behavior towards developing technology and social media.
- 2 years involved with service organization to provide medical and school suppliers to poor students in South Asia and Nicaragua.
- 3 Years of being involved in local politics as a student rep., intern, volunteer, and campaign worker.
- 2 years volunteering at a children's hospital
- 1.5 years working as a substitute teacher in a school servicing students with autism and down syndrome.

LOR:
- Professor who I did research under
- Politician
- Medical staff at the children hospital

Other:
Took a gap year. Working at a health care product and service distributor. All programs I applied to were MPH with the exception of Stony Brook where I applied for the PhD program in Population Health.

Applied: Brown, Cornell, Columbia, Yale, Stony Brook, JHU
Accepted: Columbia 2/5
Denied: JHU: 2/6

I was accepted to Columbia 2/5. Students with under a 3.00 GPA... there's hope. Work hard and make your voices heard to the committee. Tell them your passions. Let them know what you do, and what you hope to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

I've been super impressed with Tulane and am really excited to visit next month! I feel like there wasn't much talk about Tulane in last year's thread, so it's nice to see other people are as impressed with them as I am.

Hi everyone. I figured I should post my stats since I'm still pretty shocked that with my gre scores I was admitted anywhere

School: University of Florida (graduating May 2019)
GPA/Major GPA:
3.6/4.0
GRE: V: 152 (56%), Q: 147 (26%), W: 4.5
-Summer intern for environmental health county department
-RA with qualitative sex trafficking scoping review and social network analysis for 2 years (2 publishing's pending)
-RA for Perioperative Cognitive Anesthetic Network(PeCAN) program to assess cognitive problems in patients 65 and older before surgery.
-few other RA positions

LOR: great

Interests: MPH in Epidemiology

Applying: Columbia (Epi/Chronic Epi), UCLA (Epi), CU Anschutz (Epi + Biostats), UC Berkeley (epi), UC Irvine (epi), UNC Chapel Hill (epi)
Accepted: Columbia, UCLA, Colorado (biostats), UC Irvine +$
Rejected: Colorado Epi (but reapplied and got accepted to biostats??)

So my biggest issue now is deciding! Like everyone else. $ is a huge factor, and I did not receive any scholarships except for a few grand from Irvine. And if I'm going to a UC its going to be UCLA, well, actually Berkeley but odds are that one isn't happening. I'm in love with Colorado because I rock climb, but it's hard to turn away from these other prestigious schools. I also am currently in UF's combined degree program, taking grad epi classes and could finish my MPH for extremely cheap in a year. I'm really ready to leave and start fresh, but weighing the pros and cons of the price I would have to pay. Also, in a long distance relationship and hoping to use this opportunity to finally be in the same place, except he is just as open ended and unsure of where to go next. He equally loves rock climbing which is why Denver is a huge pull. If anyone has any advice on getting additional funds, such as, is it acceptable to call a schools financial aid office or admissions office and ask for $? I'm expecting to get a RA position wherever I go and work but I don't think that will be close to enough for what I will need. Thanks for reading this not-so-coherent panic dilemma.

Can I ask when you heard back from UCLA?

Has anyone heard from Harvard Epi SM-42.5, Vanderbilt Epi MPH, Yale MS CDE, and UNC Applied Epi?? I’m really frustrated and wanna finalize my decision ASAP!

Last edited: