MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waiting for decisions is absolutely brutal. I honesty wish I could just go to sleep and wake up weeks from now to find the emails and just get it over with. There aren't nearly enough distractions in the world. Is it just me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 16 users
Totally with you here. Fin aid office hasn't responded to my emails on CSS in SIX WEEKS. So I have no way to know what the issue even is, or if they've even received my app! I can't believe you've paid $25 to be mislabeled as someone who can afford their ridiculous tuition. I wouldn't be surprised if i'm in the same boat.
I was in the same boat - I’ve been financially independent from my family (with my own health care, living in a different state, etc) for 4 years now but since I’m under 26 they’ve required my family’s info so I do not qualify for anything. Paid $25 to find that out too

Waiting for decisions is absolutely brutal. I honesty wish I could just go to sleep and wake up weeks from now to find the emails and just get it over with. There aren't nearly enough distractions in the world. Is it just me?

Yes! I just want it to be April 15th with my decision made already. The anxiety is getting to me.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Gopher

As far as I know, they generally nominate out-of-state students for a Non-resident waiver, make their tuition equal to In-state students. (I received this exact sentence from them)
I’m aware that there may be other more significant scholarships, but they are very rare.

I'm actually an Illinois resident, so I thought I might get the non-resident waiver. But eh. Minnesota is still affordable without it.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard about financial awards/aid from UNC? I reached out in January and they said they will send awards out mid-February and it's February 14th, so... today, right? :whistle:

Anyone else get the provisional award letter from UCLA? I'm not sure if a merit scholarship would be listed there yet, or if it's solely need-based financial aid based on the FAFSA. Mine only has loans mentioned, but I'm hoping additional grants/scholarships still could possibly come up later?

Last edited:
Heyy, how did you find Pitt on your visit?

For convenience, I'll provide thoughts on all the schools I visited (thanks to work that pays me to travel all over the US!)

Pitt:
-Loved Pittsburgh, seemed an excellent combo of affordable, diverse, and large enough to provide a wide variety of things to do without being huge. One of my friends is a medical resident at Pitt and loves it.
-Campus was very pretty, PH building was nice. Very close to hospital and other resources.
-I got the impression that the epi program didn't have the same caliber of students as other schools (columbia, hopkins, etc.)
-Vibe seemed especially supportive/collaborative for students
-Ability to do the program in 3 semesters is a plus, though it seems most students are encouraged to take 4 semesters. If you want to do 3 I'd make it clear when you come in and plan well.
-Funding seems to be an issue with limited scholarships and GSR positions not available to master's students, but take into account the above point when calculating costs
-If you are looking for a scholarship I would make your interest in the program very clear

Columbia
-NYC location major plus opportunity-wise, major downside CoL-wise. I have friends around and the consensus seems that you can find a place with roommates close to the medical campus for 1000+/mo. Options to sublet for a month/summer while searching for a better long-term place is also an option
-Campus is dated
-Rigidity of program was a downside for me with the first semester completely set, and not as much room for electives as other programs
-Have heard anecdotally that students can have a snobby attitude, but tbh you probably find people like that everywhere
-Size can be a problem as far as making connections with professors--the burden is more on you to make them than it is at other schools
-Otherwise is a solid program and I believe would put one at a good place for PhD admissions
-$$$$

Berkeley
-New PH building is GORGEOUS (epi dept has floor to ceiling glass windows overlooking the Bay), Berkeley is GORGEOUS. Omg, I loved the campus. Super close to hiking and all kinds of outdoorsy things, a subway ride to SF.
-CoL also very high, expect to pay 900+/mo with roommates, more without
-Very focused on CA public health issues, which for me is a plus (I am interested in working with immigrant populations and speak spanish)
-Following that, also easy to make a lot of CA connections. If you want to end up in CA afterwards, this is a good choice
-GSR positions seem to be available for those who seek them out, though I've not been able to get anyone to say that YOU WILL HAVE ONE which makes me wary (I don't want to move somewhere banking on this, and then not be able to have a job).
-MCAH dept is awesome, very tight-knit, profs I met with were great. It's a very small dept but with access to all the resources of the larger school. Have heard only good things from the students
-MCAH dept is very quant focused and you can make it very hard skill based with electives.
-You can get CA residency for tuition purposes your second year
-As I said earlier, I had a lot of trouble contacting epi/biostats profs and got the impression they were overworked/uninterested in recruiting students, which really turned me off
-NOT connected to a medical school, so if you're interested in clinical research you might want to look elsewhere. They partner with UCSF which is like a 30m subway ride away not in rush hour

Yale
-Smaller program, but this conversely means sometimes a lack of course options if you have really specific interests. I would look to see what courses are offered in your area of interest
-Students seem interested and engaged from all the lunch talks I go to lol
-Speaking of which, there's free (good) lunch like 2x a week with public health talks, not sure if this is the same at other schools. Then lots of lunch talks at the med school which is like 50 feet away. Public health--medical school integration seems good, so would be a decent place if you're interested in clinical research.
-Campus is fine, nothing special but not terrible
-Very expensive tuition ($46k for 2019-2020), limited financial support
-New Haven is OK, has great pizza and is close to NYC. Most students live in East Rock, where rent is going to average like $600-700/mo for a room in a shared apt or $1000+ for a 1BR (but you can find nice 1BRs for like 1200). There's a great (read: cheap) grad student bar, and a nice selection of happy hours downtown.
-In line with Columbia, it is a solid program that would put you at a good place for PhD admissions

(I'd love if others who have visited schools could also provide thoughts for those of us who can't go because of distance/time/money, that would be awesome!!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Where did you hear that UW Health Services wouldn't be sending decisions out until early March? I still haven't heard anything yet so just wondering if others have or if they just haven't sent anything out yet.
I saw it somewhere on their website and when I called, they said decisions will be sent out early March but it might be the generic timeline they give everyone that asks? The only official time I've gotten is early March.

Anyone else get the provisional award letter from UCLA? I'm not sure if a merit scholarship would be listed there yet, or if it's solely need-based financial aid based on the FAFSA. Mine only has loans mentioned, but I'm hoping additional grants/scholarships still could possibly come up later?

My friend reached out when they were accepted and were told Merit aid was not indicated on PAL. Scholarships will be coming out within the next month

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Decided to check Wolverine Access this am after realizing I hadn’t checked all week and saw that I was recommended for admission to HBHE!

This closes out my admissions cycle, and now I move on to the fin aid wait game!

Reactions: 8 users
I got accepted to UGA, UIC, University of Michigan and University of Texas Houston all for Epidemiology. I am having troubles deciding which one to choose. Tuition will be cheaper for me at UIC as I am from Chicago. However will I be able to find a good internship in Chicago? UGA is a pretty good program and Georgia the CDC isn't too far. University of Michigan is a great program but in Ann Abor is not really the best city. Any comments?

I got accepted to UGA, UIC, University of Michigan and University of Texas Houston all for Epidemiology. I am having troubles deciding which one to choose. Tuition will be cheaper for me at UIC as I am from Chicago. However will I be able to find a good internship in Chicago? UGA is a pretty good program and Georgia the CDC isn't too far. University of Michigan is a great program but in Ann Abor is not really the best city. Any comments?

Hi! Just my two cents if you like Umich-- IDK if you've visited Ann Arbor but I lived there for two years and I loved it. It's got a lot of culture and things happening.It may not be as large as the other cities listed but the hospital is amazing and even outside of that --- it has a lot of opportunities for professional growth. I even went to Michigan State and I still say that I love and miss Ann Arbor . So just my input.. if you haven't been..go for a visit!

I haven't heard anything from them yet about awards/ aid. Are you going to admitted students day?

Hi! Just my two cents if you like Umich-- IDK if you've visited Ann Arbor but I lived there for two years and I loved it. It's got a lot of culture and things happening.It may not be as large as the other cities listed but the hospital is amazing and even outside of that --- it has a lot of opportunities for professional growth. I even went to Michigan State and I still say that I love and miss Ann Arbor . So just my input.. if you haven't been..go for a visit!
Does visiting actually help?

Anyone still waiting on UCLA? I got the confirmation email 11/21, so I'm getting very antsy coming up on three months! I figure it's going to be a rejection at this point, but I'd just like to know.

Decided to check Wolverine Access this am after realizing I hadn’t checked all week and saw that I was recommended for admission to HBHE!

This closes out my admissions cycle, and now I move on to the fin aid wait game!

I just checked mine too and I saw I was recommended today! I'm assuming that's pretty much a solid acceptance right?

Reactions: 2 users
I just checked mine too and I saw I was recommended today! I'm assuming that's pretty much a solid acceptance right?

where do you see whether you are recommended?

EDIT: nevermind I just saw that I was recommended as well!

I saw it somewhere on their website and when I called, they said decisions will be sent out early March but it might be the generic timeline they give everyone that asks? The only official time I've gotten is early March.

I just called their office and was told that the committees are meeting this week and decisions will go out before the end of the month.

Anyone still waiting on UCLA? I got the confirmation email 11/21, so I'm getting very antsy coming up on three months! I figure it's going to be a rejection at this point, but I'd just like to know.
I am also still waiting for UCLA and I got the confirmation email on 11/26

My friend reached out when they were accepted and were told Merit aid was not indicated on PAL. Scholarships will be coming out within the next month

Sweet, that's what I was hoping! Thanks for the info :)

I haven't heard anything from them yet about awards/ aid. Are you going to admitted students day?

I'm not sure yet! I live in California and am quite familiar with UCLA and to a lesser degree, Berkeley. It shouldn't be too expensive to plan a trip, but it also won't be a priority in comparison to Emory (which is completely new to me).

I am also still waiting for UCLA and I got the confirmation email on 11/26
I'm glad I'm not alone! I'm also still anxiously waiting on SDSU, but I think we might have to wait a bit more for that one.

News - GW does NOT provide any institutional aid AT ALL for those of us who are provisionally accepted.

Problem is, they still told us to complete the profile. Now I'm out $50. They never should have pushed me to apply for something they knew I couldn't qualify for. Apparently they'll "try" to refund me. Super disappointed in GW, I haven't heard of any other Unis with this policy.

Reactions: 5 users
News - GW does NOT provide any institutional aid AT ALL for those of us who are provisionally accepted.

Problem is, they still told us to complete the profile. Now I'm out $50. They never should have pushed me to apply for something they knew I couldn't qualify for. Apparently they'll "try" to refund me. Super disappointed in GW, I haven't heard of any other Unis with this policy.
Wow, I wish they had mentioned that when I applied. Hopefully we can both get a refund .... what a ridiculous policy.

It seems like based on previous threats it's pretty much a solid acceptance! I noticed they didn't mention Admitted Students Day, so I looked it up on their website - its 3/16, with an optional Faculty Research Symposium 3/15 from 7-9 pm. Will most likely be going to both!

GW wasn’t my top to begin with, and I was super surprised when I was asked to provide my parents’ financial information since I lived and worked on my own for 3 years. My (lovely but occasionally difficult <3) mother refused to give me her financial information on principle. The financial aid office was SO RUDE to me in an email when I inquired about the policy and whether there might be exceptions that I just dropped the whole thing. They ended up awarding me a 50% merit scholarship, but the whole process left a bitter taste in my mouth and I have no interest in attending.

My friend told me merit/scholarships will be coming out within the next month.

I won't be going to admitted students day because I already booked my travel for JH's 3/8 visit day. BUT I did do undergrad here, and also work at the medical campus. So I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding Westwood/Los Angeles!

BU’s admitted student day is during my work week so I can’t attend...does anyone know much about their program?

Not sure how I ended up in last year's thread again (for maybe the millionth time:whistle:) but it looks like people started hearing from Yale on 2/15 last year. Does anyone know if Yale has released a specific date for this year?

My friend told me merit/scholarships will be coming out within the next month.

I won't be going to admitted students day because I already booked my travel for JH's 3/8 visit day. BUT I did do undergrad here, and also work at the medical campus. So I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding Westwood/Los Angeles!

I'd love to hear your general thoughts! I've been to LA a few times but never to the UCLA area. Do you need to have a car, or can you take public transit/walk/bike from affordable-ish places? How much is the rent around there (both for roommates and studios/1BRs)? Are there things do to nearby? Do people generally like living in that area?

Not sure how I ended up in last year's thread again (for maybe the millionth time:whistle:) but it looks like people started hearing from Yale on 2/15 last year. Does anyone know if Yale has released a specific date for this year?
I believe someone mentioned March 1 for Yale decisions from a webinar a few months back? When I received my application complete email it also said early March. I was hoping it would turn out to be earlier than that but alas...

I'd love to hear your general thoughts! I've been to LA a few times but never to the UCLA area. Do you need to have a car, or can you take public transit/walk/bike from affordable-ish places? How much is the rent around there (both for roommates and studios/1BRs)? Are there things do to nearby? Do people generally like living in that area?
Hello! I'm a UCLA grad as well and am familiar with the Westwood area. Public transit is pretty good and varied and can take you to popular attractions, including a 20 min drive to the Santa Monica Pier. I'm not going to lie but rent is pretty ridiculous out there, and having roommates is pretty essential and necessary to drive costs down. Westwood is like a little college town in a way, it has plenty of supermarkets and retail stores such as Target as well as a couple movie theaters that show new movies as well as host some movie premieres you have to look out for and be lucky enough to attend but they're awesome to go to catch glimpses of your favorite celebrities! DM me if you have any more questions!

Ahh just found out I was awarded a merit scholarship at Emory!! 75% off tuition + $10,000 REAL award + practicum funding :soexcited:Can't believe it!!

Reactions: 27 users
Ahh just found out I was awarded a merit scholarship at Emory!! 75% off tuition + $10,000 REAL award + and practicum funding :soexcited:Can't believe it!!
Congrats! incredible and completely unsurprising given your stats. Did they email you?

Reactions: 5 users
Ahh just found out I was awarded a merit scholarship at Emory!! 75% off tuition + $10,000 REAL award + practicum funding :soexcited:Can't believe it!!

That's incredible!!! Congrats :D

I’m thinking that I’m going through a masochistic behavior! I’ve turned off my Gmail notifications, and unintentionally check it every 5 minutes!
I cannot understand why a 2-years MPH should be +80k to embarrass thousands of young talented motivated students...

Reactions: 7 users

CONGRATS!!! That is an amazing scholarship!!

Reactions: 3 users
Got a mail from Kentucky for funding to cover the non-resident portion of my tuition, which amounted to about 58% of my tuition cost. My greedy and somewhat poor self wished for more. Still waiting for what UNC has to offer me.

Reactions: 7 users
Just got a scholarship email from Emory for $25,000 off tuition, $10k REAL, and practicum funding! Not quite your 75% tuition, but not complaining! :banana::banana::banana: DANCE BANANA, DANCE

Reactions: 18 users
Did anyone else not receive UCLA's Provisional Award Letter? I'm scared I filled out my FAFSA wrong :arghh::nailbiting:

For anyone who also applied to schools way later than most! In today 2/14, at Emory BSHE, applied 1/29!! :D

Reactions: 8 users