MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone who also applied to schools way later than most! In today 2/14, at Emory BSHE, applied 1/29!! :D

Congratulations! Are you going to Visit Emory?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, I wish they had mentioned that when I applied. Hopefully we can both get a refund .... what a ridiculous policy.

Fingers crossed! It's my top choice program, even over much higher ranked schools. I can't imagine it being affordable for me to live and study in DC with absolutely no need/merit based aid. And the gall of them to not tell us about this beforehand, and instruct us to pay for the nonsense that is CSS.....crazy.

GW wasn’t my top to begin with, and I was super surprised when I was asked to provide my parents’ financial information since I lived and worked on my own for 3 years. My (lovely but occasionally difficult <3) mother refused to give me her financial information on principle. The financial aid office was SO RUDE to me in an email when I inquired about the policy and whether there might be exceptions that I just dropped the whole thing. They ended up awarding me a 50% merit scholarship, but the whole process left a bitter taste in my mouth and I have no interest in attending.

Same! We shouldn't be required to provide this information. I assume that you were offered normal admission without provisions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh just found out I was awarded a merit scholarship at Emory!! 75% off tuition + $10,000 REAL award + practicum funding :soexcited:Can't believe it!!
That's awesome and well deserved! Congratulations!!
Stupid question but I am curious to know exactly what is implied by practicum funding? Like doing practicums involves a certain fee too or is this a grant of sorts?

Reactions: 6 users
Stupid question but I am curious to know exactly what is implied by practicum funding? Like doing practicums involves a certain fee too or is this a grant of sorts?

That's not a stupid question! I was planning on asking for clarification from Emory myself. But as I understand it, the idea is to help offset costs if the practicum position is unpaid or you have to relocate for it or something like that. So I think it's basically like a grant.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong, Emory students/anyone who knows!)

Edited to add: It's worth $2,000.

Reactions: 3 users
Apparently Emory only gives out 40-45 merit scholarships, so I'm nervous that the notifications might have all gone out last night.... but I guess it's too early to give up hope! Maybe more will roll out today.

Reactions: 7 users
Apparently Emory only gives out 40-45 merit scholarships, so I'm nervous that the notifications might have all gone out last night.... but I guess it's too early to give up hope! Maybe more will roll out today.

I know I don't qualify for merit because of my stats.. at this point I'm just hoping to get a need-based scholarship :shrug:

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! I have an interview with Thomas Jefferson's MPH program in about 2 weeks. Can someone please describe what kind of questions they asked?

Reactions: 1 user
I can answer this since I have it! It's a grant that you get after you secure a practicum opportunity. Many are unpaid so it helps fund that, but you still get it if you secure a paid one!

Reactions: 4 users
Got rejected from CUNY Graduate Program...now I am anxious for my other applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
@MPAfya_19 @MuppetLord For those of you who received Emory awards, was the package you described designated for just the first year and will renew for the second year? Or were the grants for the total 2 years (ex: $10,000 REAL award)?

Just booked my flight for UW student visit days! Unless things go terribly wrong, it will likely be where I end up attending. As a native LA/SoCal girl, I can't wait for a change of scenery and weather!

Did anyone apply to USC’s MPH? I applied back in December and haven’t heard anything about decisions...

@MPAfya_19 @MuppetLord For those of you who received Emory awards, was the package you described designated for just the first year and will renew for the second year? Or were the grants for the total 2 years (ex: $10,000 REAL award)?
They will be dispersed evenly through four semesters (assuming that you are going for the four semester route). So REAL is dispersed as $2,500 per semester. However, the $2k practicum award is a one time deal given upon securing a practicum, as stated by @Cassatrass

They will be dispersed evenly through four semesters (assuming that you are going for the four semester route). So REAL is dispersed as $2,500 per semester. However, the $2k practicum award is a one time deal given upon securing a practicum, as stated by @Cassatrass
Yes. Also, you earn REAL (like work-study) so it is given based on how much you work. Most people do not make the entire amount each semester.

Just a heads up to anyone visiting GW on any day besides their official admit day - I did my scheduled meeting with the assistant director of admissions today and it left a sour taste in my mouth. I had mentioned when signing up that I wanted to ask about the epi curriculum, research opportunities, financial aid info, student life, etc. The guy basically handed me to the financial aid lady and she answered any questions I had, and then the admissions guy came back with a post-it note of the epi director and said I could contact her for information of the program. That was essentially it for my meeting and I'm incredibly disappointed that my trip to DC was basically a waste of time and money. Campus is gorgeous and I would encourage anyone to visit, but I did not have the greatest experience with the people.

Is anyone planning on attending BU's accepted students day Friday Feb. 22?

Got acceptance decisions from University of Minnesota and Texas A&M University today:banana::banana:

Apparently, I haven't seen anyone who applied for Texas A&M on this forum

I should really stay off of here until I hear something one way or the other. They literally just started sending Financial Aid stuff yesterday, and I'm already stressing about it.

I should really stay off of here until I hear something one way or the other. They literally just started sending Financial Aid stuff yesterday, and I'm already stressing about it.

Yeah, I'm super excited for the people who heard back, but also went into panic mode, since Emory is really only a possibility for me if I get some form of aid. Having said that, I think there will be more awards going out, so I'm just going to try to put it out of my mind until I hear one way or the other.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, I'm super excited for the people who heard back, but also went into panic mode, since Emory is really only a possibility for me if I get some form of aid. Having said that, I think there will be more awards going out, so I'm just going to try to put it out of my mind until I hear one way or the other.

Sigh, same.

I’ve received an email from UCLA about a fellowship for Epi MS! I’m completely confused because of my excitement!! I appreciate if somebody elaborates on this text:

"On behalf of the Department of Epidemiology at the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health, it is my pleasure to offer you the 2019-2020 Fellowship in Epidemiology. The Fellowship provides support for standard tuition, student services fees, and health insurance for the 2019-20 Academic Year. Current tuition rates, including health insurance, set the fellowship's current value at $16,927.81. Should tuition, fees or insurance increase within the award period, the value of the Fellowship will adjust accordingly."

What does it mean? one time 16k, or 16k per semester which means full tuition waiver?!!

Beyond ecstatic to have received a scholarship from Emory! 75% off tuition + up to $2500 REAL/semester + $2000 paid practicum + $300 travel grant. Also, invited to Scholars in Action.

At this point, it is basically a done deal for me unless I get a RA position at UW.

Cannot wait to celebrate everyone's acceptance to Rollins at Visit Emory :)

Reactions: 13 users
Beyond ecstatic to have received a scholarship from Emory! 75% off tuition + up to $2500 REAL/semester + $2000 paid practicum + $300 travel grant. Also, invited to Scholars in Action.

At this point, it is basically a done deal for me unless I get a RA position at UW.

WOW!! That is absolutely amazing! Well deserved!!

OMG! Congratulations :) When did you receive their email?

I’ve received an email from UCLA about a fellowship for Epi MS! I’m completely confused because of my excitement!! I appreciate if somebody elaborates on this text:

"On behalf of the Department of Epidemiology at the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health, it is my pleasure to offer you the 2019-2020 Fellowship in Epidemiology. The Fellowship provides support for standard tuition, student services fees, and health insurance for the 2019-20 Academic Year. Current tuition rates, including health insurance, set the fellowship's current value at $16,927.81. Should tuition, fees or insurance increase within the award period, the value of the Fellowship will adjust accordingly."

What does it mean? one time 16k, or 16k per semester which means full tuition waiver?!!

My guess would be that it is a full year BUT I would definitely reach out to confirm. Unless a quick google search will answer that!

My guess would be that it is a full year BUT I would definitely reach out to confirm. Unless a quick google search will answer that!
I emailed them but it's friday 5 P.M there! Then I should wait until monday...

SAME. I can't help but refresh my email every 5 seconds

OMG! Congratulations :) When did you receive their email?

I found out yesterday by email, it was a nice Valentine's Day present to say the least. I can't help but think they timed it like that on purpose haha

I emailed them but it's friday 5 P.M there! Then I should wait until monday...

It's actually 4:45 pm here in California, but I think UCs close at 4 on Fridays? I could be wrong, but I think the quickest way to get a response is to call their office on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday)

Either way, congrats!

It's actually 4:45 pm here in California, but I think UCs close at 4 on Fridays? I could be wrong, but I think the quickest way to get a response is to call their office on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday)

Either way, congrats!
Thanks a lot for information. So, was that email unclear for you too? I'm surfing their website and there are a lot of Fellowships and Scholarships, so confusing!

Either way, congrats!

lawls UCs definitely don’t close at 4 on Friday bc I’m still at work and I work for UCLA. BUT individual departments have the option to close early near holidays so it’s possible Fielding closed early today bc of Presidents Day

Just got accepted to University of Illinois at Chicago's Epi program!

I'm honestly shocked. After getting rejected from Colorado's epi program, I figured it wasn't very likely I'd be accepted to any epi programs, so I'm over the moon!
I was initially rejected from Colorado's epi program too, but reapplied to my second choice, biostats (which I thought was a much higher long shot) and was accepted. If you are still interested in Colorado I would recommend reaching out and reapplying, meaning someone will just forward your app to the other department of interest

I just received some good money from UAlbany. This school is not my top choice and I still have more schools to hear back from, but I'm still very grateful for the scholarship. Coupled with Albany's low cost of living, it will most likely be one of the best financial decisions (though, again, it's still hard to tell right now). Does anyone know first hand of the MPH - Biomedical Sciences Program at UAlbany? Or what life in Albany is like?

Trying not to feel overwhelmed... and just trying to be patient still!

I'm from Saratoga, which is just 30 mins north of Albany. The city itself is not as glamorous as other parts of the world but upstate new york has a lot to offer. If you are outdoorsey, the adirondacks, lake george, etc are beautiful spots. Skiing, rock climbing, hiking, you name it. Albany can be a little sketchy in certain parts at night, but I honestly haven't spent too much time really in the city itself. Great bus system to get down to NYC or montreal which is nice.

lawls UCs definitely don’t close at 4 on Friday bc I’m still at work and I work for UCLA. BUT individual departments have the option to close early near holidays so it’s possible Fielding closed early today bc of Presidents Day

Oh whoops I didn't mean the universities themselves, but the SPHs do not answer phone calls past 4 pm on Fridays. At least that is what their VM and Berkeley's state

Has anyone gotten a financial aid package detailing cost of attendance at Michigan?

Got rejected from CUNY Graduate Program...now I am anxious for my other applications.
Honestly, the thread has gotten overwhelming for many at this point, I assume. I’m sorry about that but I hope and pray you receive an acceptance soon. Still waiting on decisions myself.
Hang in there!

Oh whoops I didn't mean the universities themselves, but the SPHs do not answer phone calls past 4 pm on Fridays. At least that is what their VM and Berkeley's state

Oooooohhhh interesting! I didn’t realize UC SPH closed early. I would have assumed they stay open till 5 as well since all other departments/divisions on campus are open till 5.

Just got the scholarship notification from Emory! Surprisingly a lot lower than the other schools but not complaining!!

Reactions: 11 users
I'm from Saratoga, which is just 30 mins north of Albany. The city itself is not as glamorous as other parts of the world but upstate new york has a lot to offer. If you are outdoorsey, the adirondacks, lake george, etc are beautiful spots. Skiing, rock climbing, hiking, you name it. Albany can be a little sketchy in certain parts at night, but I honestly haven't spent too much time really in the city itself. Great bus system to get down to NYC or montreal which is nice.
ayyyyyy 518 we out here on the SDN forum!

Reactions: 2 users
Important note to those of us who haven't received bundles of free cash:

For every person you see here who has received a ridiculous scholarship, there are SO MANY who didn't get a penny. Don't let yourself get too down. Scholarships are extremely competitive in PH and you're doing great.

Reactions: 18 users
Just a heads up to anyone visiting GW on any day besides their official admit day - I did my scheduled meeting with the assistant director of admissions today and it left a sour taste in my mouth. I had mentioned when signing up that I wanted to ask about the epi curriculum, research opportunities, financial aid info, student life, etc. The guy basically handed me to the financial aid lady and she answered any questions I had, and then the admissions guy came back with a post-it note of the epi director and said I could contact her for information of the program. That was essentially it for my meeting and I'm incredibly disappointed that my trip to DC was basically a waste of time and money. Campus is gorgeous and I would encourage anyone to visit, but I did not have the greatest experience with the people.
Sorry for wasting your time and money. I don't know but I have been particularly unimpressed with GWU this admission season. They have been shady, unresponsive and even rude sometimes. It was one of my top choices but now it's hard for me to even consider going there.

Thanks a lot for information. So, was that email unclear for you too? I'm surfing their website and there are a lot of Fellowships and Scholarships, so confusing!

I agree it is unclear, but I would guess the fellowship is applied toward the year and not per semester since they said 2019-2020 academic year in the beginning. I am sure they will be able to clarify next week for you

Important note to those of us who haven't received bundles of free cash:

For every person you see here who has received a ridiculous scholarship, there are SO MANY who didn't get a penny. Don't let yourself get too down. Scholarships are extremely competitive in PH and you're doing great.
This is so important. Emory ends up matriculating around 30 scholarship students annually out of around 400-500 total matriculating students.

Also, each scholarship is not equal. Make sure to calculate cost of living, fees, tuition, and health insurance into your calculations. Sometimes a school will be cheaper with no scholarship than another with a 20k scholarship.

Reactions: 6 users
Sorry for wasting your time and money. I don't know but I have been particularly unimpressed with GWU this admission season. They have been shady, unresponsive and even rude sometimes. It was one of my top choices but now it's hard for me to even consider going there.

It's sounding like some people have had bad experiences interacting with schools throughout this process. The way a school comes across to potential students is definitely a contributing factor to the choice we make. Does anybody else want to share experiences that might be pushing them away or towards a school? For me, UW has impressed me with their willingness to meet with me and their prompt communication