MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And, unrelated as this is for undergrad, the scandal with college admissions today has me rolling. It blows my mind that somebody paid $6M to get their kid into Yale... for 6 million dollars you could just adopt a new kid who’s smart enough to get into Yale for free:rofl:

AHAHA i've been cracking up all morning. 6 million dollars to buy your kids way into a school. With 6 mil, they could've just paid their child to live their best life outside of college and start a business or something. now they're going to jail just because their kids wanted to go to day parties with us broke folk.

Reactions: 9 users
AHAHA i've been cracking up all morning. 6 million dollars to buy your kids way into a school. With 6 mil, they could've just paid their child to live their best life outside of college and start a business or something. now they're going to jail just because their kids wanted to go to day parties with us broke folk.

LOL I actually cant stop laughing out loud at your comment!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This IS all very much a turn off, considering that it was my top choice going into this whole thing. It's still my cheapest option which is so frustrating for me. If we're not getting in, let us know -_-

I know that this forum is only a small number of people compared to how many people apply every year, but it seems weird that so many of us on the forum haven't received any decision at all....how can we ALL be waitlisted? And to top it off, after getting into UNC and Emory, attending Cal's Fall Day, reaching out to professors and getting assistance with writing my applications through their Diversity office, I thought I was a sure thing at Berkeley. And yet......

I'm sorry we're all going through this very annoying thing. After everything we put into applying, we definitely deserve better treatment.

I agree, there is no way UCB is putting all of us on the waitlist. It is kind of ridiculous that the administration could at least provide some feedback to those who are still waiting--update us with something! The amount of money and effort putting into our application, we deserve some kind of notification.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi @sploosh! Would you mind telling us why you chose JHU over Emory and Columbia? I'm not Epi but I'd love to know what your thought process was when selecting a school. I'm having a really hard time choosing between some really great programs. Honestly, I'm vibing with all of them.

For sure! I unfortunately don't think that all of this will apply to everyone, but here was my logic. It pretty quickly came down to Columbia and JHU for me, and that's because both are closer to my family - I'm from the NE.

From there, the reasons I preferred JHU were as follows:

1. JHU over two years was significantly cheaper than Columbia from cost of living. Tuition was comparable, but rent is much cheaper, and "doing things" (meaning having fun on weekends and things) is MUCH cheaper here. Also, Baltimore is not that exciting of a city - there are definitely things to do here but it's no Manhattan. Therefore, not only are things cheaper in general, there are less things that I want to spend money on here anyway. This also helps keep me focused, I think.

2. JHU has a track specific to my area of interest - aging. Columbia didn't. NOTE - looking back, I actually don't think that this is that important. I don't think that the elective coursework here is that different from Columbia's. As long as some people are doing the research you want, the "label" on your degree means little. Employers are not looking for your concentration/major so much as your general research skills - which you'll get in any concentration - and your actual research experience, which you get outside of class. This is all IMO.

3. My impression of the student body was that people at JHU tend to be a little bit older and have more experience (mostly because of the two-year work requirement for the MPH program, and the relatively large number of PhD students), which I liked. That's not to say I dislike people who come straight from undergrad, but I think that the vast majority of people here have a really good idea of what they want.

After almost a year of school, I do think the actual training you will get will be similar between the two schools, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. One benefit of NYC that I can see is that there is certainly a larger variety of opportunities within the city after you graduate.

Those were the main things. If you have more specific questions, please let me know!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm a bit perplexed on why Yale isn't ranked higher. Also, wondering if I should choose GWU or BU instead as they are purportedly stronger programs who have given me way more $$$ than Yale. :shrug:

And, unrelated as this is for undergrad, the scandal with college admissions today has me rolling. It blows my mind that somebody paid $6M to get their kid into Yale... for 6 million dollars you could just adopt a new kid who’s smart enough to get into Yale for free:rofl:
I'm in the same boat! They seem strong at least by considering their innovative programs in CDE and EMD, and their faculty H-index, but I guess their relative low rank might be a result of their small size, in terms of building, faculty number, student body, and probably the number of research centers and amount of grants. I've been admitted to Yale MS in Chronic Diseases Epi, and today when I emailed to administrative director, she told me that you would be just 3-4 student in this program this year!

Last edited:
I agree, there is no way UCB is putting all of us on the waitlist. It is kind of ridiculous that the administration could at least provide some feedback to those who are still waiting--update us with something! The amount of money and effort putting into our application, we deserve some kind of notification.

Just sharing what this person told me. Whether it is true or not... I dunno.

At the same time.. UCB has made no official promises that they would notify us by a specific date. I have the same perspective as everyone else's... I put money and effort into my application and was hoping to get a response by now. But, the reality is that they are under no obligation to respond in a timely manner.

**Le sigh. This sucks.

Just got into OHSU's Epi program :clap:

Reactions: 10 users
I'm a bit perplexed on why Yale isn't ranked higher. Also, wondering if I should choose GWU or BU instead as they are purportedly stronger programs who have given me way more $$$ than Yale. :shrug:

LOL yo! Idk if because I've been googling Yale so often or what, but it came up on my Google News this morning and I just read the entire thing in awe. So. Much. Money!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys!

At this point, I'm deciding between BU and Emory. I love Emory in so many ways, however, they seem to have much lower employment stats. Roughly 15% in GH and 11% overall are still searching for jobs 11 months after graduation according to the 2016 stats (which are the most recent I can find). Whereas Boston states that 92% are either employed or continuing education within six months. This is for the whole school. I couldn't find it for GH only.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Hello! I graduated from Emory public health in 2016. I was able to get a job before graduation and started in the summer. There were a couple people I knew who didn't find jobs until a little later (maybe mid-summer to early fall at the latest?) but I do not know of anyone still looking for employment 6 months out UNLESS they tried to make a big move (ie one girl had some trouble finding a job in SF, but was actually able to secure a remote job at CDC, move to SF, and then found a job there eventually). Anyone who wanted a job in ATL found one :)

I've started to decline some of my admission offers!
For today, Columbia, OSU, and of course with a broken heart, JHU!
After talking with two professors in Harvard, and Yale, at the moment, I'm torn between Harvard, Yale, and of course the UCLA particularly because of their generous Fellowship, although the 24 months cost of living in LA may completely neutralize their Fellowship. Therefore, at the moment, it's Harvard vs Yale!
Both of them are 1-year non-thesis programs; Chronic Disease Epi in Yale, and Cardiovascular Epi in Harvard.
Tuition and CoL would be almost 70k for Yale, and 90k for Harvard.
Upon graduation, I'm intended to find a research-based academic job for 1 to 2 years--before continuing my education. With taking this purpose into consideration, if you were in this situation, which one would you choose? Is Harvard worth 20k higher than Yale?
I really need and appreciate your valuable comments and insights :bow:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just sharing what this person told me. Whether it is true or not... I dunno.

At the same time.. UCB has made no official promises that they would notify us by a specific date. I have the same perspective as everyone else's... I put money and effort into my application and was hoping to get a response by now. But, the reality is that they are under no obligation to respond in a timely manner.

**Le sigh. This sucks.

Sorry for biting your head off in that reply-- my snappiness is totally aimed at Berkeley's slow responses and not you for relaying what you were told.

This does suck, and youre right, they're under no obligation to get back to us before April 15th, but they did say February to early March and in terms of protecting their reputation, I would hope they would be better than this.

Like how they sent out a reminder to everyone to submit their secondary app by December 1st....on December 4th? And a bunch of people weren't even aware of the 2nd app so they had to open the whole thing back up. Or the person on here who received a very unprofessional rejection? I've had 2-3 emails to admissions that have gone unresponded to, and a friend tried for weeks to contact them about paying her application fee......and never got an email response, was hung up on, etc. So all of this is adding up to be a very trying experience from a school I expected way way better from. It's all just very disappointing.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for biting your head off in that reply-- my snappiness is totally aimed at Berkeley's slow responses and not you for relaying what you were told.

This does suck, and youre right, they're under no obligation to get back to us before April 15th, but they did say February to early March and in terms of protecting their reputation, I would hope they would be better than this.

Like how they sent out a reminder to everyone to submit your secondary app by December 5th....on December 6th? And a bunch of people weren't even aware of the 2nd app so they had to open the whole thing back up. Or the person on here who received a very unprofessional rejection? I've had 2-3 emails to admissions that have gone unresponded to, and a friend tried for weeks to contact them about paying her application fee......and never got an email response, was hung up on, etc. So all of this is adding up to be a very trying experience from a school I expected way way better from. It's all just very disappointing.

I don't know you think like me or not, but I received the worst and slowest staff response rate, and highest vague responses surprisingly from schools which I paid additional application fees! (OSU, UofArizona, UCLA, UofMichigan, and even UNC!)

On the other hand, I should acknowledge that I got really impressed by sophisticated, responsible staffs in UMN, Harvard, Emory, and JHU.

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to open their provisional award letter from UCLA? Mine isn't available and I would like to know soon. I called a few weeks ago and were told they basically don't have any information.
Hi~ yes, I was able to open mine. I had to create a myUCLA account and then go in and enter my SS number before they were able to create a PAL. It was all loans though, so it didn't help much lol

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I graduated from Emory public health in 2016. I was able to get a job before graduation and started in the summer. There were a couple people I knew who didn't find jobs until a little later (maybe mid-summer to early fall at the latest?) but I do not know of anyone still looking for employment 6 months out UNLESS they tried to make a big move (ie one girl had some trouble finding a job in SF, but was actually able to secure a remote job at CDC, move to SF, and then found a job there eventually). Anyone who wanted a job in ATL found one :)
Thank you so much for your response! This makes me feel a lot better!

Like how they sent out a reminder to everyone to submit their secondary app by December 1st....on December 4th? And a bunch of people weren't even aware of the 2nd app so they had to open the whole thing back up. Or the person on here who received a very unprofessional rejection? I've had 2-3 emails to admissions that have gone unresponded to, and a friend tried for weeks to contact them about paying her application fee......and never got an email response, was hung up on, etc. So all of this is adding up to be a very trying experience from a school I expected way way better from. It's all just very disappointing.

Hey there, I'm sorry to hear that this has been your experience with Berkeley and I totally empathize with your frustration in wanting to hear back. If I was in your situation, maybe I would approach it by choosing your top choice school from the ones that you were admitted to, then re-evaluate if you're accepted at Berkeley. The HSB program is pretty small (25-30 people, I believe) so it's very possible that they might have 30-60 people on the waiting list, given that applicants apply to many schools simultaneously and then take their time to make a decision/decline.

I wanted to provide another perspective though - The school actually sent out multiple reminders to submit both apps a few days before the Dec. 1 deadline, and instructions to complete/pay for both the apps are all stated on their website. Given the volume of applications they receive, it may also not be possible for them to give personalized rejections or respond to all the emails, especially if the information is already stated somewhere. I'm thinking that might explain some of what is going on.. not that I'm saying that it is okay to have poor response times or hang up on people who are calling for assistance, but I wanted to respond because I've actually had a really great experience with Berkeley, speaking with their DREAM office, Diversity office, and current students in the program. Every student I've talked to has had such an amazing experience working with faculty, receiving quality experience/education in their classes, getting research/paid positions, etc. so if you are accepted and decide to go to Cal, I hope that you don't have too many hard feelings from what you're currently experiencing!

waiting to get a post app experience survey bc this is v unprofessional :/

Hey there, I'm sorry to hear that this has been your experience with Berkeley and I totally empathize with your frustration in wanting to hear back. If I was in your situation, maybe I would approach it by choosing your top choice school from the ones that you were admitted to, then re-evaluate if you're accepted at Berkeley. The HSB program is pretty small (25-30 people, I believe) so it's very possible that they might have 30-60 people on the waiting list, given that applicants apply to many schools simultaneously and then take their time to make a decision/decline.

I wanted to provide another perspective though - The school actually sent out multiple reminders to submit both apps a few days before the Dec. 1 deadline, and instructions to complete/pay for both the apps are all stated on their website. Given the volume of applications they receive, it may also not be possible for them to give personalized rejections or respond to all the emails, especially if the information is already stated somewhere. I'm thinking that might explain some of what is going on.. not that I'm saying that it is okay to have poor response times or hang up on people who are calling for assistance, but I wanted to respond because I've actually had a really great experience with Berkeley, speaking with their DREAM office, Diversity office, and current students in the program. Every student I've talked to has had such an amazing experience working with faculty, receiving quality experience/education in their classes, getting research/paid positions, etc. so if you are accepted and decide to go to Cal, I hope that you don't have too many hard feelings from what you're currently experiencing!

Thanks for a different perspective! To clarify, I was super excited by my experience with Berkeley up until recently. I visited a number of times and I also talked to the DREAMS ambassadors who were helpful and really informative (they met with me multiple times to help with my application); all the students, alumni and professors I've talked to were great and had good things to say as well. That's why going into this it was my #1 choice.

You gave good advice on choosing another school -- I've continued to narrow down my choices and visit schools so I can make a decision with/without an acceptance from Berkeley. Just beyond frustrated at everything, that's all :) Gonna start mid-day yoga again to recover from this anxiety LOL.

Reactions: 3 users
Heyy, heads up! Looks like all scholarship info was already sent out.
Thank you for the heads up! Yep, that’s what she emailed me too.
On that note, I enrolled in OSU today!!! Go Bucks! Best of luck to everyone during this deciding process! <3

Anyone starting their JHU online MPH program this November?! Would love to connect!

What are people's opinions on Yale's reputation in the public health world (especially given the recent rankings)?
Current Yale student here. I don't know the specifics of the rankings, but the dean told my class at my admitted students day that the low ranking was largely due to the fact that Yale is such a small school of public health. This means our alumni network is smaller, lowering our alumni contributions, which lower rankings. Many of my peers already have competitive jobs/fellowships/further education set up for after graduation, and we were very successful in landing competitive internships. Out in the field, I have received nothing but positive feedback! Very few people aside from current applicants really look at school rankings. Yale has an all around amazing reputation, the name carries more weight than a ranking that many in the field don't go back to look at. I was concerned about this when I was making my decision, and I have found there to be absolutely no issue. From my experiences, my peers and I have all felt very respected in the field.

Reactions: 10 users
OMG I think I just got into Hopkins. I mean its updated on the portal but i haven't received an email?! It's not a mistake right?! #freakingout

EDIT: Oh I just read I'll receive an email in 24-48hrs. Freaked out before reading all of it. If this isn't a mistake, thanks for the luck! Haha.

And in that case I'm also deciding between JHU & Columbia. If you've started a convo/thread, could you please let me know?

Thank you!

YAY congratulations! And no, I haven't started a thread I've just been asking around haha honestly I am so conflicted on which to choose out of the two - it's gonna be a hard decision. Which program are you in?

Has anyone gotten a financial aid/loan package from Tulane yet? I'm still waiting for Emory though, but when I emailed Tulane financial aid office about this, they said they haven't set the tuition and fees for the SPH for the 2019-2020 academic year, therefore, the financial aid office hasn't processed loan award packages. Is this normal?

YAY congratulations! And no, I haven't started a thread I've just been asking around haha honestly I am so conflicted on which to choose out of the two - it's gonna be a hard decision. Which program are you in?

Thank you! Though I'm going to wait for my official email before I let myself be officially excited lol.

I am so so so so conflicted as well - I have applied for MPH in Health Policy & Management to both. I like how JH is 1yr, that people would be more my age-ish (not that I have any issues with those coming directly from undergrad - I'm 26 so not even old, but def different to when I was 21), and that its truly the #1 PH School. I can also balance my electives between both Policy & Management. However I do not want to get into research - I want to get straight in to industry and at Columbia I can also benefit from the Law & Business Schools (but my cert would be in Policy Analysis, so more Policy than Management). It's also an Ivy and although I'm not fussed about that per se, its nice to be part of an 'Ivy Group' because you are also well connected with the other Ivies through a plethora of research and study opportunities. It's like its own community. And I think the campus looks beautiful (through Google - though I'm planning to visit on admitted students day on Mar 29th - are you?) And I LOVE NYC. This would be a great chance for me to live there (I am from Asia) and IDK when I would have such an opportunity.

I'll be attending both student days (hopefully) and will see how JH can help me with my career path. Maybe after my MPH I'll find a job in NYC! I would like to earn there so that I have money to spend lol. But I also see huge benefits of being a student in NYC i.e. the opportunity to meet and connect with so so many people from the city and also other great universities in the surrounding area. However the nature of the JH course is more compact and appealing and kindof straight to the point.

I am very undecided.

Has anyone gotten a financial aid/loan package from Tulane yet? I'm still waiting for Emory though, but when I emailed Tulane financial aid office about this, they said they haven't set the tuition and fees for the SPH for the 2019-2020 academic year, therefore, the financial aid office hasn't processed loan award packages. Is this normal?
In the same boat, it's coming!

Alright GW, are you being helpful or confusing?

"This notice contains an estimate of your Cost of Attendance (COA) and possible eligibility for Federal Direct and private alternative loans for the 2019-2020 Academic Year."

This doesn't seem like the financial aid award email I was hoping for. I'm not sure I can base any decisions off this info since it's not firm? This email seems like a waste of time.

And I LOVE NYC. This would be a great chance for me to live there (I am from Asia) and IDK when I would have such an opportunity.

Oooooh, this is another thing I have opinions about! (Also Asian). There are plenty of Asian students here at JHY (mostly Chinese, Taiwanese, and Indian, with fewer Korean and Japanese....definitely fewer from SE Asia) but Baltimore is kind of terrible for Asian cultural spots. There are a few restaurants and two tiny grocery stores, but it cannot compare to NYC. Don't know how much that matters to you but it's one of my big negatives about this city.

Oooooh, this is another thing I have opinions about! (Also Asian). There are plenty of Asian students here at JHY (mostly Chinese, Taiwanese, and Indian, with fewer Korean and Japanese....definitely fewer from SE Asia) but Baltimore is kind of terrible for Asian cultural spots. There are a few restaurants and two tiny grocery stores, but it cannot compare to NYC. Don't know how much that matters to you but it's one of my big negatives about this city.

Im actually from Thailand and food is hugely important haha. Will DM you with more questions on this!

Current Yale student here. I don't know the specifics of the rankings, but the dean told my class at my admitted students day that the low ranking was largely due to the fact that Yale is such a small school of public health. This means our alumni network is smaller, lowering our alumni contributions, which lower rankings. Many of my peers already have competitive jobs/fellowships/further education set up for after graduation, and we were very successful in landing competitive internships. Out in the field, I have received nothing but positive feedback! Very few people aside from current applicants really look at school rankings. Yale has an all around amazing reputation, the name carries more weight than a ranking that many in the field don't go back to look at. I was concerned about this when I was making my decision, and I have found there to be absolutely no issue. From my experiences, my peers and I have all felt very respected in the field.

Hi @n3t . Do you mind sharing why you chose Yale over your other schools? I’m currently choosing between Yale and one other school and would love your thoughts!

Thanks for a different perspective! To clarify, I was super excited by my experience with Berkeley up until recently. I visited a number of times and I also talked to the DREAMS ambassadors who were helpful and really informative (they met with me multiple times to help with my application); all the students, alumni and professors I've talked to were great and had good things to say as well. That's why going into this it was my #1 choice.

You gave good advice on choosing another school -- I've continued to narrow down my choices and visit schools so I can make a decision with/without an acceptance from Berkeley. Just beyond frustrated at everything, that's all :) Gonna start mid-day yoga again to recover from this anxiety LOL.
And rightly so to be frustrated! Hope the yoga helps!!:love:

@Greentree1: Note about Baltimore - they have the BEST ramen shop ever!!! (I've tried highly-rated ramen places in D.C., NYC, LA, and Houston). I am also from SEA and have found decent restaurants here.

Of course NYC have a lot of options too but I don't like spending >$20 to go out (versus ~$15 in Baltimore). Just my two cents :).

Anyhow, I am deciding between MPH program at Columbia and MSPH program at Hopkins (I love their practicum opportunities!). I highly recommend emailing/calling current students at both programs. They are both excellent options regardless :). I am also a bit "older" (25) and I met more people around my age at Hopkins (for both MSPH and MPH) than at Columbia .

For sure! I unfortunately don't think that all of this will apply to everyone, but here was my logic. It pretty quickly came down to Columbia and JHU for me, and that's because both are closer to my family - I'm from the NE.

From there, the reasons I preferred JHU were as follows:

1. JHU over two years was significantly cheaper than Columbia from cost of living. Tuition was comparable, but rent is much cheaper, and "doing things" (meaning having fun on weekends and things) is MUCH cheaper here. Also, Baltimore is not that exciting of a city - there are definitely things to do here but it's no Manhattan. Therefore, not only are things cheaper in general, there are less things that I want to spend money on here anyway. This also helps keep me focused, I think.

2. JHU has a track specific to my area of interest - aging. Columbia didn't. NOTE - looking back, I actually don't think that this is that important. I don't think that the elective coursework here is that different from Columbia's. As long as some people are doing the research you want, the "label" on your degree means little. Employers are not looking for your concentration/major so much as your general research skills - which you'll get in any concentration - and your actual research experience, which you get outside of class. This is all IMO.

3. My impression of the student body was that people at JHU tend to be a little bit older and have more experience (mostly because of the two-year work requirement for the MPH program, and the relatively large number of PhD students), which I liked. That's not to say I dislike people who come straight from undergrad, but I think that the vast majority of people here have a really good idea of what they want.

After almost a year of school, I do think the actual training you will get will be similar between the two schools, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. One benefit of NYC that I can see is that there is certainly a larger variety of opportunities within the city after you graduate.

Those were the main things. If you have more specific questions, please let me know!

This was very helpful, thank you! I think I have to eliminate Columbia due to CoL although I LOVED my visit there and found the faculty to be very engaging.

I'm also another Asian obsessed with food. WE OUT HERE.

For all who are considering submitting a travel grant application for Visit Emory - you should do it! I submitted my app yesterday and just got approved today. And I have a full-time job so I wasn't sure if I'd get anything!

@Greentree1: Note about Baltimore - they have the BEST ramen shop ever!!! (I've tried highly-rated ramen places in D.C., NYC, LA, and Houston). I am also from SEA and have found decent restaurants here.

Of course NYC have a lot of options too but I don't like spending >$20 to go out (versus ~$15 in Baltimore). Just my two cents :).

Anyhow, I am deciding between MPH program at Columbia and MSPH program at Hopkins (I love their practicum opportunities!). I highly recommend emailing/calling current students at both programs. They are both excellent options regardless :). I am also a bit "older" (25) and I met more people around my age at Hopkins (for both MSPH and MPH) than at Columbia .

You can't say that and not tell us which ramen shop!

Reactions: 8 users
For all who are considering submitting a travel grant application for Visit Emory - you should do it! I submitted my app yesterday and just got approved today. And I have a full-time job so I wasn't sure if I'd get anything!
Really? I sent mine in last month and still haven't received anything. :( Should I email them?

Haha absolutely loving the SEA representation (and our obsession with food) on here!

@flawedmph & @oxytocin16 : may I ask which dept at Columbia? Was it HPM? Any insights would be great!

I am definitely trying to speak to as many people as possible but each time I so I feel like I get so easily swayed :/ What're your thoughts?

Haha absolutely loving the SEA representation (and our obsession with food) on here!

@flawedmph & @oxytocin16 : may I ask which dept at Columbia? Was it HPM? Any insights would be great!

I am definitely trying to speak to as many people as possible but each time I so I feel like I get so easily swayed :/ What're your thoughts?

I'm in Epi department. And I feel you, I get so easily swayed too but I think it is important to know what your priorities are.

I went to a Yale reception event the other day and it seems like policy folks tend to pick the big name/Ivy league school since policy is so broad! But if your heart is set on public health than Hopkins is the place to be.

Really? I sent mine in last month and still haven't received anything. :( Should I email them?

I would definitely email them! I also think they've been prioritizing people visiting both days. So if you're only going for one day, that might be why you haven't heard back.

I am SMS with a certificate in Health Policy and Practice. Honestly, if it weren't for tuition and CoL (my stats definitely did not qualify me for any scholarships), I would be considering Columbia a lot more seriously. My interest is in minority and urban health and NYC would be the perfect place to partner with so many related community organizations.

Additionally, I'm interested in pursuing a PhD right after my MPH so it's important for me to get involved with research projects ASAP. With the difficulty of the Columbia core curriculum during the first semester, I would be discouraged from getting involved with research projects outside of class. That is the impression I got from speaking to current students and two faculty members.

I feel you though. I also am getting very easily swayed. I initially didn't think I'd be seriously considering JHU, Columbia, or Emory over my in-state option of UNC but here I am!

I would definitely email them! I also think they've been prioritizing people visiting both days. So if you're only going for one day, that might be why you haven't heard back.
That's what's weird..I did mention I was visiting both days and they told me they updated my form to include that, since initially I did put I was only coming for Friday but I changed my mind a day or so later. I just emailed them, so hopefully they'll let me know by the end of this week.

That's what's weird..I did mention I was visiting both days and they told me they updated my form to include that, since initially I did put I was only coming for Friday but I changed my mind a day or so later. I just emailed them, so hopefully they'll let me know by the end of this week.

I submitted my request probably the night it opened or the 2/12, registered for both days, and haven't heard back yet either. I tried to follow up earlier this month but got a generic "we receive a lot of applications, please give us time".

Definitely sent another follow up email this morning...

Just received a $200 travel grant!!! I'll be flying in from Maryland so that covers 70% of my plane ticket. Anybody else coming in for only the afternoon/evening portion of the optional portions of Visit Emory?

Last edited:

I submitted my request probably the night it opened or the 2/12, registered for both days, and haven't heard back yet either. I tried to follow up earlier this month but got a generic "we receive a lot of applications, please give us time".

Definitely sent another follow up email this morning...

+1 for sent the application basically right when it opened and haven't heard back (and attending both days).

I just got a response saying it appears there's a glitch in their system and that I was approved for a $175 travel grant!!

I emailed UCB/Cal's MPH-HPM email to ask when will admissions status's be released and Kristine Doss, the Program Manager for UCB's HPM program, stated that all admission decisions were made and forwarded to UCB's Public Health Admissions. Kristine reached out to the admissions team on when applicants can expect to be notified and they confirmed that emails are being sent out this week.

Based on how what I've seen of UCB, most decisions sent from general admissions are often rejections...

Oh well.. guess I was rejected :(

I emailed UCB/Cal's MPH-HPM email to ask when will admissions status's be released and Kristine Doss, the Program Manager for UCB's HPM program, stated that all admission decisions were made and forwarded to UCB's Public Health Admissions. Kristine reached out to the admissions team on when applicants can expect to be notified and they confirmed that emails are being sent out this week.

Based on how what I've seen of UCB, most decisions sent from general admissions are often rejections...

Oh well.. guess I was rejected :(

Guess I was too....would've been nicer for them to have said so earlier but it'll be great to finally get the confirmation so I can pick a program!

I just got a response saying it appears there's a glitch in their system and that I was approved for a $175 travel grant!!
They finally responded to me too! Approved for $200! :D

Has anyone received any need based aid or REAL award from Emory?